Force quitting problem on Galactus

Comments

• SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2015
    Due to the pure chance/3- turn (round 6) death design of the Galactus event, it appears "force quitting" has become rampant in top 100 alliances (ours included). I will not explain what this means here

TO LATE.

I see Dragonlight says he's getting questions....from players though - the devs know what you mean and the devs likely know how to fix this for say...a 2nd concurrent run.

(Why does this have any thumbs up? Never, ever give the devs a clue on how we can run any of their events successfully!)
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tgacxk2.jpg?1
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    This isn't a situation like Scarlet Witch's green, where we all wish it worked the way it used to. They think we're doing better than they expected. They need to know why, otherwise they'll make the next run harder.
  • franckynight
    franckynight Posts: 582 Critical Contributor
    Do You really think d3 dont know about this tricky thing? Like they didnt know abt winfinite or tanking.. Or other major tools ppl used to game the system? You re pretty naive then.. You ve got many venues where You could discuss this matter ad nauseam.. Coming on their official site to leak it will just force them to shut it down.. Certainly not changing their stance about how they designed the event as ice underlined it.. You just prevent ppl to get what will be impossible to get without that.. So feel free to think Its good for us when Its not..
  • simonsez wrote:
    I will not explain what this means here to avoid proliferation of the technique
    Yes, because one would have to be some sort of savant to deduce what you're talking about based on your subject header...

icon_rolleyes.gif

I removed the sentence so we can all concentrate on the purpose of the post, not 1 infuriating sentence. I initially had a full explanation of Force Quitting, but removed it in case it ran afoul of forum rules.
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Why ppl always feel entitled to leak info just to show they know.. What You re doing now is just taking away one of the only tools at our disposal to counter this horrible fight.. Hope you re feeling better now that you hurt this community.. Sad..
    Do You really think d3 dont know about this tricky thing? Like they didnt know abt winfinite or tanking.. Or other major tools ppl used to game the system? You re pretty naive then.. You ve got many venues where You could discuss this matter ad nauseam.. Coming on their official site to leak it will just force them to shut it down.. Certainly not changing their stance about how they designed the event as ice underlined it.. You just prevent ppl to get what will be impossible to get without that.. So feel free to think Its good for us when Its not..

What a bizarre pair of posts icon_eek.gif

But ignoring that, what do you mean by "community"? Do you mean the t100 Alliance players and damn the rest? Because that's a really tinykitty view to take.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    brisashi wrote:
    When they hotfix it later today we will know who to blame.

Demiurge or D3Go working on a weekend? Hahahahaha you're having a bubble mate!

Mind you saying that this fix could hurt players and not benefit them so yeah, mandatory overtime all round. After all they can't have an extra couple of alliances actually getting all the rewards can they? The shareholders would not be happy!

On Monday the exact response will be "We didn't realise that making last minute changes to the game mechanics would make it all but impossible for 99.5% of the players to do well. As recompense we will bump all who made it to round 7 up a reward tier and those of you who realised just how futile it was, well you lot get nowt for being smart enough to leave a broken event and enjoy your weekend like we did. Those of you who play casual also get nowt and in fact owe us 700 Hero Points for using our bandwidth. All tickets sent from Thursday onwards have automatically been closed as all event matters have now been dealt with."
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    To those of you getting knickers in a bunch over this advanced technique being spread to the unwashed masses, just know this was posted in the friggen gigantic 15 page feedback thread yesterday.

Calm the elitism down for 5 seconds.
    we're all pissed off, and most of you already have better rosters. imagine not having scarlet x and witch to do these nodes.

It doesn't automatically make your board better, nor does it leave you without damage.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    san-mpq wrote:
    Why ppl always feel entitled to leak info just to show they know.. What You re doing now is just taking away one of the only tools at our disposal to counter this horrible fight.. Hope you re feeling better now that you hurt this community.. Sad..

I think we need to address the assumption here, that being that d3 will use this information on how players are winning to hurt the players' chances, and disallow it in the future.

The truth is, that's sad. Not because Dragon shared that information, but because we PRESUME that D3 will use this to hurt the playerbase and remove the only strategy we have left, because, make no mistake, that is a strategy.

Dragon does not hurt the community, D3 does.

And you assume that D3 will use this information on how players are winning to make changes to the event, so that players won't have to resort to this tactic.

Best case scenario, far unlikely from happening, D3 and Demiurge make positive changes to the event, don't even bother with the information b/c it's hard to distinguish when it's used and when it's not. People have the choice to use it or not.

Next best case scenario, D3 and Demiurge make positive changes to the event, use the information and are able to distinguish when it's being used and when it's not, thereby shutting it down for people that are using it, but not punishing the people that it is a legitimate problem for. No one has the choice to use it or not. (this could be broken down to 2 scenarios, where people are punished if it was a legitimate error on their device).

Most likely scenario, D3 and Demiurge make no changes to the event, use the information to shut it down, and that method ends up punishing people who have legitimate errors. No one has the choice to use it, people with legitimate errors are punished, and everyone gets to share the same misery.
  • GurlBYE
    Also at this point you'd have to be a masochist to do anything but ignore the second run of this event without some SIGNIFICANT changes.

With when this event ends and a coin flop on whether they take columbus day off, the second may begin before changes can occur.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    sc2so.jpg
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Thank you, Dragon. Didn't know about the exploit. Don't care to use it. Don't care if others use it.

I definately care about the Devs misinterpreting player engagement.

A lot of people accuse D3 of lying, but players lie too: about spending money, about quiting, about engagement.

It doesn't matter how many complaint threads there are this forum, if the statistics tell another story, then that's all they need to know. It's important that they interpret their user data correctly. Otherwise, nothing will change.
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    I think it's clear from Ice's post reflecting surprise that OBW was getting used a lot that devs know next to nothing about the gameplay and I am convinced last minute changes where made to this event based upon posts between players on this forum about strategies that have made the tactic discussed on this thread one of the very few viable options in later rounds.

d3 may take some of the noise onboard and rebalance the event - shorter refresh timers would be an interesting counter to this technique as you still burn through a lot of health packs doing it you just stand a decent chance of scoring some points at the same time

But

I do 't believe they will make this event any more enjoyable to play - shorter refreshes just means more opportunities for mass roster suicide - what they should do is bin it and launch red hulk via ultron which for better or worse is actually a reasonably balanced form of gameplay
  • lukewin wrote:
    sc2so.jpg
    The Cap!!!

Good one icon_e_smile.gif
  • OJSP wrote:
    I respect the top alliances for their co-operations and fraternity/sorority mentality, but when it comes to winning at all cost, not so much.. it's probably as a result of that mentality, that the developers create events that are not fun and impossible to finish for more than 95 % of the player base.

As long as we're decrying elitism in this thread, let's not descend into mindless populism as well.

The "top alliances", however you define that, aren't some shadowy cabal coming up with sooper sekret game-breaking strategies that they purposefully don't share with the masses. Bugs are found, team compositions are discovered, etc. and are naturally passed around because the people with more hardcore playstyles have constructed and maintain a network of communication through LINE chats and such.

There is no barrier to entry for this, by the way. Anyone can organize, network, and participate, whether you are an individual or an alliance, whether T10 or a T10000. The fact that the more casual players don't do this is not an indication of some consipiracy to keep everyone else down, it's a natural consequence of differing levels of commitment to game play.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd bet a Stark Salary that force close is how those 2 alliances beat HB Ultron. There's no way all 40 of them beat every match in R7/8 without a single failure.

And they were not only applauded by Demiurge, they received additional rewards
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    It does not matter anymore they fixed it. If you force quite it locks Galactus so now D3 will get the real numbers. Also beating the anniversary node no longer opens the Galactus node anymore. Why I wanted to fight Galactus again I don't know.

Hopefully they will get better data now. I do wonder how many players will achieve the lefendaryvtoken if any now. My alliance is 1/2 way through 7 and I will be able to push what 5 more times. I have 680k points. I think I am mathematical out of the legendary token and I feel I am doing well compared to others.
  • XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    If you're afraid to post something on the forum lest the devs shut it down, then you probably shouldn't be doing it in the first place. To say that posting a strategy in the forums forces them to shut it down doesn't make sense - less than 1% of the population reads the forums.

If you have to force-quit to win, and the devs see you winning, you're only hurting everyone else and yourselves. Everyone hates the devs for thinking they designed it poorly, but at the same time the statistics are telling the devs that it's working as intended. In this thread we have someone proclaiming the devs are knowledgeable (they can see all the statistics) and that they're idiots (surprise at OBW). It really can't be both, and they likely don't have all the statistics you think they do (based on what Ice has said before), so it really wouldn't surprise me if they were looking only at progress and win %. If it's a **** event, stop trying to get around it through bugs - just let it be ****, and let them fix it.

Killing the strategies of players using actual abilities though is pretty ****. Might as well give Galactus Jean Grey's stun ability on a match-5 too, just to shut down Scarlet Witch.

I'm curious if my sudden inability to get points while retreating is a side effect of this fix though.
  • Does not look like D3 has taken away force quitting yet.
  • GurlBYE
    Force quitting still drains health packs, which is likely why it wouldn't be removed.

It simulates crashes, which also cost you health packs.

I think i'd rather them figure this out, then 1 alliance beat it and they think 'well alright, you complained but did as we expected. we only expected one alliance to beat 8 anyway'