Almost impossible transition to 4*

Punatulkku
Punatulkku Posts: 228
edited October 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Hi, im one of those who are nearing one year mark. God solid good roster of 3* guys and now im blocked by the tokens... I havent got a 4* guy in two months. How am i going to progress if all i get is 2* ****?

Also i was expecting anniversary to be festive "we love our player base event" instead of here, take 2* token while we laugh at you, pls give us more money... Nope, wont give you any more money... You dont deserve it. D3 you have failed this community.

Comments

• GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've received about 10 2 stars from the ones i've gotten. They don't feel worth chasing after ESPECIALLY aren't worth their inflated price tag
  • Square
    Square Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
    You have to learn how to PVP. If you have a solid 3* team, join an alliance with higher minimums (800-900 or so), they should know how to get 1K. They will coach you (if they are a good alliance).

The great thing with this game is that once you get that first 4* up and running, your foot is in the door and they will flow in at a steady rate, at least three a week. I don't remember exactly where I was at the one year point, but I probably only had XF, and 4hor was on the way up. Day 500 or so now, and a lot has changed in my roster.
  • Don't expect to get any 4*s to help you transition during the anniversary. At best, you'll get a handful of dino covers, which are 100% novelty outside of a covered star lord and professor x, and maybe a cover or two of the new 4*s. None of those rewards help a transitioning player because the main objective of the transitioner is to get 1-2 really strong characters to gain a foothold and move forward from there.

Wait for the regular season to come back and you'll have a much better shot at 4*s through tokens, both in PVP and in PVE.
  • XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    PVP isn't really a solution any more. Given the number of 4*s, in any given season a 3* roster (that's not ancient and has almost every character maxed) will likely earn 5-7 4*s (1 from season token, 1 from sim, 3-5 from 1K points if the stars align and two synergistic characters are buffed). For the sake of argument though, let's say a player hits every 1K reward plus token and sim for 12 covers / month. Given that there are more than 12 4*s and that the covers rotate, you're easily talking 8+ months before you're getting a remotely usable 4*. That's 8+ months of hitting 1K consistently. Realistically the 3* player could be looking at 1.5 years at the 3* level trying to get his first usable 4* (realistically you'd shave a few months because the player could start getting 4* DPD somewhere in there).

This wasn't much of an issue when there were 3-6 4*s, because you picked up covers for each one quick and you could max one quick (which made maxing the others easier). For a player new to trying to move to 4* land though, it's too slow to be practical.

This also doesn't take into consideration that the 3* player trying to move to 4* may be scared of opening his or her legendary tokens, lest he pull a 5* that forces him into even harder PvP brackets.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    PVP isn't really a solution any more.

Yep, exactly. I'm at over a year and a half and have always depended on the PVP to transition - and you just can't with 4*'s anymore. They need daily (or at least every other day) DDQ to get the transition actually moving.
  • events like this anniversary were supposed to help...
  • Since PvE personal progression includes Legendary token, you should be getting that once or twice a week. If you have a 3* player base with enough at 166, you should be hitting 1000 in PvP as well about every other event. You might need to shield at 700/800/900/950 to get there, but that will happen.

I have about 20 characters at level 166. I am just starting my 4* transition, but it is not a fast event. I do not dare take any of my 4*'s above 166 until they are 12-13 covers. PX is an exception; he just needs 5 blue and is my MVP character. So the 4* coverage is speeding up with PvE legendary. In 6 months, you will probably have full covered 4*s and just debating how to get enough ISO to level them up.
  • SnowcaTT
    Since PvE personal progression includes Legendary token, you should be getting that once or twice a week. If you have a 3* player base with enough at 166, you should be hitting 1000 in PvP as well about every other event. You might need to shield at 700/800/900/950 to get there, but that will happen.

I played over a year of PVE and was going to burn out of the game if I did any more of it.

I hit every single PVP 1K, the 2K in sim, the legendary token at end of season, so far have succeeded in every 4* DDQ, and let's say for good measure I get lucky and pull two 4*'s out of a heroic a season.

That's 18 covers a season - assuming I need them all.

They introduce two characters a season - 26 new covers needed each season. We're not catching up - we're falling behind.
  • XandorXerxes
    Since PvE personal progression includes Legendary token, you should be getting that once or twice a week. If you have a 3* player base with enough at 166, you should be hitting 1000 in PvP as well about every other event. You might need to shield at 700/800/900/950 to get there, but that will happen.

I have about 20 characters at level 166. I am just starting my 4* transition, but it is not a fast event. I do not dare take any of my 4*'s above 166 until they are 12-13 covers. PX is an exception; he just needs 5 blue and is my MVP character. So the 4* coverage is speeding up with PvE legendary. In 6 months, you will probably have full covered 4*s and just debating how to get enough ISO to level them up.

I also burned out badly on PvE, so getting that token isn't a reasonable feat for me - which probably also means I can't shield 4x an event. I accidentally leveled my Fury to 188, but I don't think (I hope, rather) that it's not causing too much of an issue. If you're worried about going over 166 though, I'd stop opening legendary tokens. I'm sitting on all of mine - last thing I want to do is hit the 1/10 chance of getting a cover that will hose my PvP brackets without being usable.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    The only consistent way to get to useable 4 star quickly is to luck out on one of each cover and pony up the 2500 HP per cover.

No one said they stopped making 4's because 5 is here. we may end up at 30 at this rate by next summer.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Such a mess.
  • sad thing is. that i was expecting something nice from these anniversary tokens, an easier transition, but no...
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's time we sticky one of these threads so we can stop seeing them. They're all the same.

"I't's impossible to get 4*s"

"You can get a couple legendary tokens a week if you play PvE"

"But I don't like PvE"

Well, in that case https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc7jblpaPdM
  • SnowcaTT
    I always see people saying they like to grind the same PVE they've played for the last year and a half (it's been about that long since anything new was introduced? Ultron not included it was what...Deadpool and Groot?), and I think:

Crazy-gif.gif?gs=a

I've seen more vets driven from the game by the attempt/need to continue playing/grinding the same PVE over and over...that more than any single other thing is driving people away from the game.
  • XandorXerxes
    simonsez wrote:
    It's time we sticky one of these threads so we can stop seeing them. They're all the same.

"I't's impossible to get 4*s"

"You can get a couple legendary tokens a week if you play PvE"

"But I don't like PvE"

Well, in that case https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc7jblpaPdM

All of the threads confirming that pulling SS hosed people on PvE and PvP scaling means that opening legendary tokens is NOT a good way to make the 4* transition. PvE also, by definition, cannot be the desired method of 4* transitioning - otherwise there wouldn't be a 3* tier, 2*s would just PvE their way to 4*s.

I mean, at 15 4* covers, a 2* player can just hoard what, 150 legendary tokens to immediately leap into 4* land? At 6 PvEs a month, that's 25 months - and someone can do PvEs right when they start the game. If he or she spent HP for minimum roster slots (no 3*s) and spent the rest on 4* covers... I wonder if they could knock it out in a year and a half. Compared to the PvP method of getting a large number of fully leveled 3*s and spending HP to shield and still taking 1-1.5 years to make the 4* transition, why even bother getting 3*s? Heck, maybe I'll just make a new account and just do that. Seems a lot less irritating then having to get lucky in PvP and not get docked points while I try to shield hop.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's a catch 22. The more people that max their 4*s, the harder it gets for the people who don't have them to do well enough in PvP to get them. The meta has changed, but the reward structure didn't change to match. They need to do away with this 0.1% draw rate nonsense and quit treating 4*s like previous ultra rare baubles.
  • Lee T
    Lee T Posts: 318
    Six months ago I was about to quit. I had paid actual money to roster every character I would get my hands on and as a result had almost all 3*, all badly covered. I couldn't get any 3* in PVP and would barely get one each PVE. With more 3* getting out each month there was no end in sight to this situation.

The only reason I stayed was the creation of DDQ, it was both fun and rewarding eventhough going through the enchilada with 2* was sometimes very tough (damn be the Teisatsus).

I am now in a situation where I can write the first paragraph again with a 4 in place of each 3.

The only reason to stay now would be an equal to DDQ for 4* (which is obviously not the actual DDQ 4* node). Should the rumored new way to get 4 be inferior to that, I'll use my time for other more satisfying endeavour.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    The key to contentment is not comparing your roster to the top players. They max the new 4*s quickly. Focus instead of doing better than the other 3* rosters. You don't have to win 13 4* covers a week to "keep up". If you do that in real life, you end up in depression. If you focus on enjoying your roster and the progress that you can make instead of can't make, you'll be much happier.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    Square wrote:
    You have to learn how to PVP. If you have a solid 3* team, join an alliance with higher minimums (800-900 or so), they should know how to get 1K. They will coach you (if they are a good alliance).

The great thing with this game is that once you get that first 4* up and running, your foot is in the door and they will flow in at a steady rate, at least three a week. I don't remember exactly where I was at the one year point, but I probably only had XF, and 4hor was on the way up. Day 500 or so now, and a lot has changed in my roster.

dont you mean get into a alliance that uses line and then cheats when they tell them who to attack and who dont.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    slidecage wrote:
    Square wrote:

dont you mean get into a alliance that uses line and then cheats when they tell them who to attack and who dont.

Lots of alliances succeed without doing the things you would consider cheating. Coordinating on line gives people a 5-10% advantage, sure. But the bulk of progress, regardless if you're a whale or F2P, is still building the roster up over time, understanding meta strategies, and putting resources into winning matches.

Just because your progress is slower than you'd like doesn't mean everyone else is cheating.