How to improve galactus battle? Poll

2»

Comments

• CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    I had three Garfield collections when I was a kid that I read over and over, and that was my favorite strip out of them. It's been 20 years since I owned the books but the punchline stuck in my mind and was easy to Google.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    JordonLee wrote:
    I think the countdown tiles should start at 3 like they're meant to. And why does he gain AP in every colour? Is that literally just a SheHulk deterrent?

I can even see their reasoning for making the change as a Shulk deterrent - it'd be too easy to paralyze him - but they overkilled it. One solution might be if the tiles generated in say 2-3 (3-4?) random colors. This gives Galactus a range of colors so his black can't be repeatedly drained, but it doesn't translate into a three-turn kill at the halfway point.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Why Ultron is still though of as fun (despite all the server crashes and problems that event had) - in the first run, probably the majority of the alliances beat it for (at the time still pretty rare) one HB cover - and many alliances ran the entire thing and ended with three covers.

Having the event not incredible difficult is fun. Knowing you are progressing as a team, and you will all get your rewards.

Having the event kill all your characters over and over, while it looks like both individual and team progression is impossible, is not fun.
  • I need an option for:

"Celebration? You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means.”

DBC
  • You have tried to vote for too many options.

icon_e_sad.gif
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    A few suggestions:

If the CD tiles are supposed to be 3 counts, make them last 3 turns, not start at 2.

Go back to your original intent of the CD tile becoming a Cosmic Tile, not spawning multiples. Thus when the levels get harder, and more CD tiles are spawned, that is the increase of difficulty. At that point, I would not object to AP gained in every color.

If you choose to leave it where the CD tile Spawns multiple Cosmic Tiles on random colored tiles... Make the AP gain per Cosmic Tile in the COLOR OF THAT TILE instead of All AP Colors. This alone will help give us a chance. We know the cosmic tiles still maintain the color properties of the tiles they overwrite, this is what allows you to match the cosmic tiles away.

Fix the glitch where it stays locked when a level of Galactus is defeated.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2015
    Malcrof wrote:
    Making the AP gain 2 sided would change everything, what an amazing idea! That would make this playable , and pretty fun!

It would be like Howling Mine in Magic the Gathering! The card gives every player an additional card to draw, it's risk vs reward!

HowlingMine.jpg

It's sad that the only way to truly defeat him is by winfinte combos. Right now my Goon team of Mohawk, OBW and Rogers are killing it, we're about to finish Round 5:

-Collect in this order: Purple, Blue, Green, Black, Red, Yellow
    -Then when Galactus collects his AP, Steal his AP with purple. Also you can match black with OBW to steal black!
    -Wait until he unleashed his CDs twice and use OBW blue to increase the countdowns
    -Keep collect AP, matching Black and Green whenever possible and let him unleash two more turns of CDs
    -Let a CD go off, then use Mohawk's Green. This will clear the board and give you crazy AP. You can then steal more AP, which let's Storm use Green again. If you have Yellow, use that first to clear the T/U tiles
    -Just keep using this approach, while also using Mohawk's Black to clog the board and Rogers Red at some CDs or Cosmic tiles in between. Galactus will be dead in a few turns.

The only problem is I have only been able to do this with +2 AP boosts on all colors but it's worth it. Hoping this approach will continue to work in Round 6 so we can win Cyclops.
  • Cylaali
    Cylaali Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    I'd like to be not locked out. With how often i'm wiping out (40% in round 6), I'd rather not wait 8 hours to go again. Let me at that piece of **** **** mother **** again!! That's the only hope I get progression, that's the only hope our alliance gets to round 8.
  • Punisher5784
    Another improvement would be that we don't have to wait 8hrs to fight Galactus.

Let it work like PVE, where if there's 6hours left, I can still complete the node but earn less points than if I would if it were a full 8hr clear. This way we can continue to fight Galactus at the same health we left off on. It's quite annoying when you fight him the 5 times and only beat him once.. it's a waste of time and you'll never reach the top rewards.

I don't know why they need to make Cyclops almost unreachable, wouldn't you want players to whale the 3 won covers or buy a roster slot for him?
  • JVReal
    It's sad that the only way to truly defeat him is by winfinte combos. Right now my Goon team of Mohawk, OBW and Rogers are killing it, we're about to finish Round 5:

-Then when Galactus collects his AP, Steal his AP with purple. Also you can match black with OBW to steal black!
    -Wait until he unleashed his CDs twice and use OBW blue to increase the countdowns
    -Keep collect AP, matching Black and Green whenever possible and let him unleash two more turns of CDs
    -Let a CD go off, then use Mohawk's Green. This will clear the board and give you crazy AP. You can then steal more AP, which let's Storm use Green again. If you have Yellow, use that first to clear the T/U tiles
    -Just keep using this approach, while also using Mohawk's Black to clog the board and Rogers Red at some CDs or Cosmic tiles in between. Galactus will be dead in a few turns.

The only problem is I have only been able to do this with +2 AP boosts on all colors but it's worth it. Hoping this approach will continue to work in Round 6 so we can win Cyclops.
    In Round 6 you pretty much have 3 turns to take him down... so much AP collects at once that by the time he pulls it off the board, he kills everyone. So don't bother matching purple for OBW to steal because there isn't anything to steal. Don't bother matching black because there is no AP to steal. Maybe match Blue to increase his counters, but without a damage dealing attack happening, can't match him to death in 3 turns.

Round 6 makes me very sad.
  • Punisher5784
    JVReal wrote:

In Round 6 you pretty much have 3 turns to take him down... so much AP collects at once that by the time he pulls it off the board, he kills everyone. So don't bother matching purple for OBW to steal because there isn't anything to steal. Don't bother matching black because there is no AP to steal. Maybe match Blue to increase his counters, but without a damage dealing attack happening, can't match him to death in 3 turns.

Round 6 makes me very sad.

Well... you just made me depressed.. icon_cry.gif

icon_maggia.pngicon_redface.gif
  • Katai
    Katai Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    I don't know hwy they decided to scale the number of countdown tiles he drops. Basic linear scaling would simply be to increase his HP. At higher levels, the matches should be longer, not shorter. Trying to keep him from getting enough AP when he has 4x the HP is a much more interesting challenge than trying to beat him in 3 turns.
  • JVReal
    Lets get back to constructive help, since we are obviously their beta-testers.

Lets fix the problem they created for them. Lots of good suggestions in this thread so far. Bump.
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ok, my honest answer is: the fastest fix would be to adjust the difficulty increase to only one change per stage.

Ignoring the HP, this is how the stages change:

1 - base
    2 - same?
    3 - 1 more cosmic per CD
    4 - CD timer is lower by 1, AP per cosmic goes up 1
    5 - 1 additional CD each turn
    6 - 1 more cosmic per CD, AP per cosmic goes up 1
    7 - same as 6 for some reason
    8 - ?

They should have just changed ONE thing for stage 4. Then 1 thing again for 5, 6, etc. Changing 2 things for stage 4 is when it got insane, and that killed off what I am guessing is 90% of alliances (they will barely completely stage 4, if that). Stage 6 changed TWO MORE things and that's going to kill all but the top 1 or 2 alliances (they will complete stage 6 but probably not 7).

It should have been:

1 - base
    2 - same
    3 - 1 more cosmic per CD
    4 - CD timer is lower by 1
    5 - AP per cosmic goes up 1
    6 - 1 additional CD each turn
    7 - 1 more cosmic per CD
    8 - AP per cosmic goes up 1

That would have made most alliances die by stage 5 instead of 4, and the top 10% would get 7 cleared and maybe 8 instead of just 6. Definitely not quite so horrid, plus you would have more energy from getting further before hitting your wall. Still lots and lots of deaths, though. (And of course, that goes against what is apparently the devs' goal of not giving out rewards for literally anything.)

I don't know, this is just a simple fix, but it would have at least made the event last longer before everyone realized it was hopeless. The main problem is that the power gap between the top 10% and the bottom 90% is very, very big. The top 1% of alliances are taking this as a challenge and will possibly win. The top 10% will likely get at least one cover. Everyone else just dies over and over. And you can't really make it easier for everyone without making it a cakewalk for the top people. Which they apparently don't want to do.
  • Here's the problem. Currently:

Round 1: Possible 4 AP per round once CD resolves.
    Round 2: Possible 4 AP per round once CD resolves.
    Round 3: Possible 12 AP per round once CD resolves.
    Round 4: Possible 18 AP per round once CD resolves.
    Round 5: Possible 27! AP per round once CD resolves.
    Round 6: Possible 48!! AP per round once CD resolves.

More interesting is had the last minute alteration to Cosmic Tile base AP being increased to 2 not occurred:

Round 1: Possible 2 AP per round once CD resolves.
    Round 2: Possible 2 AP per round once CD resolves.
    Round 3: Possible 4 AP per round once CD resolves.
    Round 4: Possible 12 AP per round once CD resolves.
    Round 5: Possible 18 AP per round once CD resolves.
    Round 6: Possible 36 AP per round once CD resolves.

This is taking into account the AP increases in rounds 4 and 6, which is also the two jumps in difficulty most noted on the Galactus event.

The idea of "Giving the same AP to players" would technically make the event "easier" because you'd be able to use the AP ramp to do extra damage yourself, but it's still not placing you on equal footing at all, because you can at best, barring cascade, match 5, while he can hoover up 12 tiles per turn.

I feel like the base AP being decreased back to a starting value of 1 is the key factor to make this doable, because it puts tile defense (matching CD tiles away) and ap denial back on the table as a possible defense.
  • may i suggest, cosmic wrath make game end(lose) instead all downed, absorbing do self-stun or end turn to prevent absorbing and unleashing wrath on the same turn, match disea....err cosmic tile earn bonus ap for us player.

another **** idea
    a way to protect team from galak wrath by collecting tu ap for example(protected by cosmic shield from SS), and then give players 3(or one or two) free turn before galaktus start his "dailies" again
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Haetron wrote:
    Here's the problem. Currently:

Round 1: Possible 4 AP per round once CD resolves.
    Round 2: Possible 4 AP per round once CD resolves.
    Round 3: Possible 12 AP per round once CD resolves.
    Round 4: Possible 18 AP per round once CD resolves.
    Round 5: Possible 27! AP per round once CD resolves.
    Round 6: Possible 48!! AP per round once CD resolves.

The problem just got bigger at round 8.

Turn 1 cd. 5 cd. 5 cosmic tiles per cd. 5 ap per cosmic.

Which means he can potentially get 125 ap on turn 3.