How to improve galactus battle? Poll

atomzed
atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
While I am terribly, terribly disappointed in the galactus event, which shows the awful lack of playtesting... I thought the underlying basis of the battle is sound.

Stop galactus from getting 30 ap or he will wipe your team.

So I just want to be slightly constructive, and tap on the collective wisdom... How can we improve on the battle to make it challenging but not impossible?
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    You can give your views after posting. Or if you have other suggestions you can add in too.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Making the AP gain 2 sided would change everything, what an amazing idea! That would make this playable , and pretty fun!
  • Have the countdown tiles spawn more cosmic tiles, but don't spawn more CD tiles. And cut the ap gain back, especially since it apparently increases at higher difficulty anyway.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Reducing the number and speed of the countdown tiles is key. In the first round, when he was generating one CD per turn, I thought it looked like a pretty neat puzzle fight - you can keep turning your attention to the new countdown every turn and try to keep him from gaining AP at all, or look for matches that'll power your own abilities, but get greedy and he'll be able to build up AP and nuke you. Sure it was easy when his level was low, but give him enough life to make it a marathon rather than a sprint and suddenly those decisions will get a lot trickier because their consequences will build up over time while you're whittling him down.

Little did I suspect that by the time his life got that high, the idea of a "marathon" fight would become utterly ludicrous. If it's a race, it's this one. But the original idea has merit! Make his AP gain a slow burn rather than a short, sharp shock and it'd be fun.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would love it if he did enough damage to trigger Carol's yellow, or XDP black ...
  • JordonLee
    JordonLee Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    I think the countdown tiles should start at 3 like they're meant to. And why does he gain AP in every colour? Is that literally just a SheHulk deterrent?
    I don't see why they decided to change his moves each round. Literally having more HP alone would make it harder. There was no need to switch to two countdowns a turn, etc.
    The first round felt fair. It was do-able and it didn't take 4 turns or so to wipe out. If they just stretched that and gave him more health each round it would probably still be fine. Eventually he'd still get 30 AP. It'd just not be in four turns. Everyone could still dent his health instead of like.. 1k each time.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oooh, I just thought of something!

First, fix the bug that makes his countdowns one turn shorter than they're supposed to be. Because that is tinykitty nonsense.

Second, rework Great Machines to read: "At the start of the turn, if there are no Great Machines tiles on the board, place X Y-turn countdown tiles that convert Z basic tiles to Cosmic Tiles."
  • What about making Galactus stunnable?
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Either reduce the number of CD tiles generated or increase their durations. How on earth are we supposed to get rid of 2 2-turn CD tiles within 2 turns without a huge amount of luck? That's nonsense.
  • IlDuderino
    IlDuderino Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    If you field Squirrel Girl for 5 team up AP you can talk him into going somewhere else for lunch
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Definitely a big vote for less AP per dirty tile. Like 1. That would be fair.

My alliance is now on round 6, but we've been playing Win-on-Turn-3-or-Die since the middle of round 4. It simply isn't fun.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    I don't think that it's a simple as reducing a timer or cosmic tiles, or AP generated. It's all the same thing, really.

They need to open strategic play as the difficulty increases. Is there a way to use Cosmic Tiles to your advantage? Not currently, but there should be.

For Ultron, I suggested that he should also destroy a middle row every couple turns in more difficult rounds. This would speed up the bombs, but also destroy some. It would make it harder, but open up strategic avenues...

Making games that are both difficult and fun is hard! I realize this every new MPQ event.
  • shatland
    shatland Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    what if the AP gain was not in ALL colors but each cosmic tile gave him AP in a SINGLE, RANDOM color? at least that way it's not guaranteed black every dang time....
  • Right now it is all about speed - kill him in less than 10 turns (usually even less than that) or die. There is very little opportunity to formulate a strategy or solve a puzzle on this quest. See what I did there?

Any improvement to make it possible to keep up would be an improvement. I think fewer CDs or longer timers would help. It's not possible to consistently match away 3 new 2-turn CD tiles every turn.

I like the idea of making the cosmic tiles useful to the player, not sure how it would really help though. Make them like charged tiles? Maybe every one you match gives +1 AP to all?
  • Ctenko
    Ctenko Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    Make the CD tiles work the way they read. As a three turn. Also and this would make MOST of this much more fair. Have his Absorption occur at the end of his turn. This way the resulting cascades would deal damage to him and give AP to you, PLUS you would know you have One last shot at him before the end of the world. As it stands, They get absorbed, Cascades happen, and you die on his third turn with depressing regularity. Even with super cascades this provides One additional turn, and chance to try something.

But it could be abused by Stealing three AP over and Over, if someone could. Like... Blade. So I doubt that will happen. Though it isn't like he couldn't destroy the world on 27 AP then. Or Blade could just... Not hit his black. Just saying.
  • hesjingixen
    hesjingixen Posts: 215 Tile Toppler
    I'd just like to echo the OP in saying that I think the basis of the event is sound. The concept is cool. The scaling is.....yeah.....no.
  • RWTDBurn
    RWTDBurn Posts: 291
    Concept is cool, execution is complete fail. A lot of the items on this poll would improve it but take time to implement. A quick fix for this round would be to make it so wiping doesn't kill off your characters forcing you to use health packs to recover them. At least then the next few days won't scream "We are greedy". It's going to get really bad as more alliances get to round 6+ and the pvp events are all in full swing.
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    All of those choices. I want "all of these" to be a choice. Or "any of these."
  • You guys are overreacting and wanting to **** him into oblivion with this "All above" stuff.

Reduce base AP gain back to 1. Fix countdowns so they are 3 turns minimum. Keep the increase in AP per cosmic tile in later "Covers" and number of cosmic tiles created. This means matching away cd tiles becomes more important, and matching away cosmic tiles is damage control. Maybe lower countdown timers to 2 for the later rounds. But the change from 1 to 2 AP per cosmic tile exponentially busted this event.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor

Little did I suspect that by the time his life got that high, the idea of a "marathon" fight would become utterly ludicrous. If it's a race, it's this one.

Props on the Garfield deep cut - very appropriate. I have to ask, did that just spring to mind, or have you been sitting on it, waiting for the appropriate moment?