No New PvE Event =(

Options
Unknown
edited February 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Sad times for someone who doesn't get anything past the third prog reward in PvP events.

Comments

• Gives you plenty of time to compete in the awesome SHIELD tourney!!!!
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Probably gives them time to fix the scaling and if they manage that run a PvE next weekend.
  • I guess IceIX pressed the "wrong button" icon_razz.gif
  • A new (well, rerun) PvE for the weekend would've thrown a nice bone to people who've been largely unable to play the last two, certainly. If they're still ironing issues out of the scaling, though, those people would most likely have choked on it, so it's potentially better they give you a weekend to see what the weather's like, lately.
  • Well the last 2 started on a Saturday.
  • warcin
    warcin Posts: 118
    Options
    Twysta wrote:
    Probably gives them time to fix the scaling and if they manage that run a PvE next weekend.
    What they need to dump is dump scaling. It is in no way fun and they obviously have no idea on how to do it in a fair way in any event.
  • warcin
    Options
    Well the last 2 started on a Saturday.
    Didn't the last 2 start on Friday?
  • Veracity wrote:
    A new (well, rerun) PvE for the weekend would've thrown a nice bone to people who've been largely unable to play the last two, certainly. If they're still ironing issues out of the scaling, though, those people would most likely have choked on it, so it's potentially better they give you a weekend to see what the weather's like, lately.

A PvP tourney featuring the prize hero from those 2 broken events isn't sitting well with me though.
  • octagon69
    octagon69 Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Options
    ..... I needs PVE D3. These non stop tournies aren't cutting it for me.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    warcin wrote:
    Twysta wrote:
    What they need to dump is dump scaling. It is in no way fun and they obviously have no idea on how to do it in a fair way in any event.

They don't need to dump it, they just need to make it static: just make it so that they apply to single levels, and increase the same way for everyone. For instance, missions X starts at level 10 for everyone. Beat it once, mission X (and only X) increases to level 30. Beat it again and it becomes 50, etc. This is a perfectly fair/easy way of implementing scaling that accomplishes exactly what they wanted to do with scaling without any chance of it being horribly broken.
  • warcin
    Options
    warcin wrote:
    Twysta wrote:

They don't need to dump it, they just need to make it static: just make it so that they apply to single levels, and increase the same way for everyone. For instance, missions X starts at level 10 for everyone. Beat it once, mission X (and only X) increases to level 30. Beat it again and it becomes 50, etc. This is a perfectly fair/easy way of implementing scaling that accomplishes exactly what they wanted to do with scaling without any chance of it being horribly broken.
    No what they wanted to do is implement scaling so that people just starting could compete with those that had been playing a while. So static scaling was never what they were trying to do. The problem with that though is what do you judge the power of a persons team on? And when you try to do that the person with the weaker team is always going to have an advantage since they will be able to do their battles much quicker.
  • Twysta
    Options
    Actually I'm going to be in transit next for most of next weekend and the few days after so I hope they don't run a PvE.
    I'd hate to miss out on all the progression, mission and ISO rewards!

...I've just jinxed it now haven't I? =[
  • The "extra fun" part was with the extremely limited hero usage on the last one they "forgot" to base scaling on just those limited heroes.

Causing everyone who didn't have those exact heroes in a very good place to be screwed over.
    (Yay! let's bang my head against the wall since all my lv70+ heroes are banned and I just sold wolvie! I'm sure my lv 40 IM35 can take out those lv175+ NPCs)
  • NorthernPolarity
    Options
    warcin wrote:
    warcin wrote:
    Twysta wrote:

No what they wanted to do is implement scaling so that people just starting could compete with those that had been playing a while. So static scaling was never what they were trying to do. The problem with that though is what do you judge the power of a persons team on? And when you try to do that the person with the weaker team is always going to have an advantage since they will be able to do their battles much quicker.

So a couple of things here:
    1. Static scaling can be implemented in such a way that newer players can still compete with veterans. Make the first completion be worth 100 points, and then the second+ completion worth significantly less, say 20-30 points. This would make it so that most people are getting the majority of points, and that even though the veterans can earn more points than the newbies theoretically, if the veterans miss a few events, then a newbie who does all of the events can still beat a veteran who is slacking.

2. Why do the newbies even need to compete with the veterans? People with 1* rosters don't need 3*/4* prizes: they need 2* covers. You can organize the prize structure such that everyone gets what they want. Give out 1 3*/4* cover for the high-end placement rewards for veterans to fight over. Organize the progression awards such that 2* covers are handed out at a point total that newer players can reach (say, if they complete each mission at the easiest difficulty, they can reach a certain point threshold that rewards a 2* cover), and make the 3*/4* covers at a point total that only the veterans can easily reach. You can also add 2* cover rewards to later missions so that newbies have a goal that they can easily see.

I don't really get why Demiurge wants newbies to be competing with veterans when they can just organize the event structure such that everyone has a shot at something that they currently need.
  • Twysta
    Options
    Yeah it's a weird decision since most newbies won't expect to be able to compete either when they've just started out so it's not exactly like it's no win situation.
  • I don't really get why Demiurge wants newbies to be competing with veterans when they can just organize the event structure such that everyone has a shot at something that they currently need.

This, a million times this. I promise you most lowbies were far happier getting tokens, or the 1500- Classic Storm reward on the last tourney then a possible DD cover.
  • warcin
    Options
    I think they decided to do that because there were a lot of people complaining about the "rich get richer" for almost all of the tournaments.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Options
    warcin wrote:
    I think they decided to do that because there were a lot of people complaining about the "rich get richer" for almost all of the tournaments.

Yeah that makes sense: I just think that they're approaching how to fix this the wrong way with dynamic scaling.
  • warcin wrote:
    warcin wrote:

So a couple of things here:
    1. Static scaling can be implemented in such a way that newer players can still compete with veterans. Make the first completion be worth 100 points, and then the second+ completion worth significantly less, say 20-30 points. This would make it so that most people are getting the majority of points, and that even though the veterans can earn more points than the newbies theoretically, if the veterans miss a few events, then a newbie who does all of the events can still beat a veteran who is slacking.

2. Why do the newbies even need to compete with the veterans? People with 1* rosters don't need 3*/4* prizes: they need 2* covers. You can organize the prize structure such that everyone gets what they want. Give out 1 3*/4* cover for the high-end placement rewards for veterans to fight over. Organize the progression awards such that 2* covers are handed out at a point total that newer players can reach (say, if they complete each mission at the easiest difficulty, they can reach a certain point threshold that rewards a 2* cover), and make the 3*/4* covers at a point total that only the veterans can easily reach. You can also add 2* cover rewards to later missions so that newbies have a goal that they can easily see.

I don't really get why Demiurge wants newbies to be competing with veterans when they can just organize the event structure such that everyone has a shot at something that they currently need.

I agree with this idea of prize structure. I've been playing for 16 days and the past few PvE events have given me a a wide range of 3* covers and virtually no 2* covers.

My playable roster has virtually not improved as my 5 cover Thor and 3 cover OBW are unusable as are my 2 cover IW, 2 cover patch, 3 cover DD, 2 cover GSBW, 1 cover IM40, 1 cover C Mags, and 1 cover Rags.
  • warcin wrote:
    Well the last 2 started on a Saturday.
    Didn't the last 2 start on Friday?
    You're right. My bad. I've gotten into a habit of late joining everything.
This discussion has been closed.