No Holds Barred - Elite

Options
Unknown
edited February 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
So are pay-to-enter tournaments just going to be the new normal?

Like, the prizes look pretty amazing, but entry cost stuff is going to get old pretty fast. There are enough ways to milk money out of the player base already.

Here are the prizes - couldn't get smaller images, so apologies for that.

http://imgur.com/a/jlKoQ

Comments

• MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    I refuse to enter any event with a buy in.
  • Hmmmm. I only have 400hp. Enough to enter and be competitive? Maybe I'll get some rewards somewhere.

I missed the last elite tourney. I think this one I gotta throw in.
  • radiopy
    radiopy Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I don't think it's designed for the casual player. I know people have been clamoring for stuff like that for a while. 300 HP for a heroic token and 500 iso is not bad, considering a heroic token is normally 300 HP anyway.
  • So are pay-to-enter tournaments just going to be the new normal?

Like, the prizes look pretty amazing, but entry cost stuff is going to get old pretty fast. There are enough ways to milk money out of the player base already.

I think it's a fun kind of tournament for those who really love MPQ and find it exciting to devote the time/energy towards a huge prize. Reading walkyourpath's writeup of his strategy from the last Elite event convinced me that this kind of event just isn't for me, but I'm glad they are catering to the hardcore players who want to devote several days nonstop to MPQ. I personally have the roster to compete in a tournament like this but I know I don't have the kind of time it would require so I'll give it a pass.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2014
    Options
    A bit better structure than before. And all heroes available to play with.

If you can get first 4000, u can exchange 250 HP => 2000 ISO + 3 Heroic + grinded ISO

Who can achieve top ranking, probably only DD covers interest him of all hero covers
  • aussiemac
    aussiemac Posts: 140 Tile Toppler
    Options
    For those that did the first ELITE tourney, how did it compare in difficulty to LR? If you place top 50 in LR is it feasible to expect to place top 50 in this??
  • turul wrote:
    A bit better structure than before. And all heroes available.

If you can get first 4000, u can exchange 250 HP => 2000 ISO + 3 Heroic + grinded ISO

Who can achieve top ranking, probably only DD covers interest him of all hero covers

Think you mean top 400, not 4000. 4000 just gets the single Heroic token & 1000 ISO.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    aussiemac wrote:
    For those that did the first ELITE tourney, how did it compare in difficulty to LR? If you place top 50 in LR is it feasible to expect to place top 50 in this??

TOP 50 probably requires a few shields....
  • All characters every power for 1st -3rd? Really?
  • Is anyone willing to create the actual topic with actual prizes listed?
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Does anyone remember how hard it was to get into top 100 during the last elite thingy? I'm considering doing this for the 5k iso, but meh.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Trying to guess how many will enter. 3 heroics + extras for top 1000 isn't too shabby.
  • Gotta admit, I'd love to enter and win every cover as I could certainly use them, but when my best character is a level 70 Patch I don't think I'd stand a chance. Still, it's quite tempting to enter and try for a top 100 place.
  • aussiemac
    aussiemac Posts: 140 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I hope this doesn't mean we won't get a 2nd No Holds Barred for The Hood....
  • i dig the top prize...pretty cool. but this one is not for me. the amount of dedication that this tourney will take to secure a top prize is most likely more trouble than its worth.

props to everyone with the stones, desire, and/or lunacy to take this one on. i cant wait to see how it shakes out.

marc
  • Pretty cool but reward is worse imo. I'm not sure many top players would be that motivated.
  • radiopy wrote:
    I don't think it's designed for the casual player. I know people have been clamoring for stuff like that for a while. 300 HP for a heroic token and 500 iso is not bad, considering a heroic token is normally 300 HP anyway.
    Touch disingenuous casting it like that, since no one in their right mind buys a heroic for more than 100HP, and even that's arguable. Agree, though, that there is no rip-off. At the worst placement tier you're still getting a not unreasonable return on the entry fee, and you'll gain ISO participating. They're not charging you HP to log on. If you don't think the event is for you, don't register.

I don't think it's even about getting people to spend money, although it might do that, so much as sucking HP out of the economy. Similar, but not quite the same. And the entry fee is nothing compared to the 3000HP apiece the top 10 will spend turtling and poking.
  • Can someone please create a new topic? One that actually lists the prizes?
  • EVERY character...holy schnikies !!!!

My max is a few 3* at around 80, so not for me, but I wonder what I'd end up if I played
  • radiopy
    radiopy Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Created new topic with prizes, please migrate to that one.
This discussion has been closed.