Is real-time multiplayer coming to mobile?

Rykard
Rykard Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
edited October 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
So I was excited to hear that the console version will have multiplayer but I'm fairly confident my mobile roster will not be able to migrate.

Is there any talk of bringing the console's real-time (or even asynchronous) multiplayer to mobile? I can't be the only one who wants this.

Comments

• OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the issues with a live PVP mobile mode is that what happens when any of the following happen?

1. connection drops out?
    2. PLayers rage quit?
    3. Players remain inactive for extended periods during a match?

These 3 things still plague consoles on a static high speed broadband connection, I cannot imagine this is would get easier with many people relying on mobile data and connection.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the issues with a live PVP mobile mode is that what happens when any of the following happen?

1. connection drops out?
    2. PLayers rage quit?
    3. Players remain inactive for extended periods during a match?

These 3 things still plague consoles on a static high speed broadband connection, I cannot imagine this is would get easier with many people relying on mobile data and connection.

Yeah, this game would not be conducive to live PvP. You could maybe get away with turn based PvP (like a Words with Friends), but obviously it'd have to be non-competitive b/c of the time it would take to complete. Of course, non-competitive is always welcome, but I don't see either happening any time soon.
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    Just imagine how much time you'd spend declining match requests from people with names like MPQurMom, LordDong, or Ugotsniped. No thanks.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rykard wrote:
    So I was excited to hear that the console version will have multiplayer but I'm fairly confident my mobile roster will not be able to migrate.

Is there any talk of bringing the console's real-time (or even asynchronous) multiplayer to mobile? I can't be the only one who wants this.

Real time PVP is the worst thing on every single mobile game I play. So many rage quit time-outs.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Daiches wrote:
    Rykard wrote:

Real time PVP is the worst thing on every single mobile game I play. So many rage quit time-outs.
    It almost works in Hearthstone, but even then sometimes it locks up for no apparent reason or you get timed out due to a network problem and lose through no fault of your own. And with the usually shorter turns in MPQ, I think they'd want an even tighter time limit on moves.
  • cg2912
    cg2912 Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Ludaa wrote:
    Just imagine how much time you'd spend declining match requests from people with names like MPQurMom, LordDong, or Ugotsniped. No thanks.

I call dibs on the name LordDong.
  • Real time multiplayer would be awful and i'd probably quit, im a big fan of the introverted PvP they have set up thank you very much.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    cg2912 wrote:
    Ludaa wrote:

I call dibs on the name LordDong.

I call WhatsFlappinYo.

Just think about it: someone sees that WFY wants to fight, thinking, "Oh, an easy win," only to face the wrath of my maxed 5/4/4 Rags, 5/3/5 Mohawk, and 5/4/4 Beast.
  • Rykard
    There are some good points here about disconnects and rage quits but I still don't think it's enough to kill the concept all together.

Beat rage quits and disconnects with disconnect penalties: ISO penalty, lock out from playing for a certain amount of time, locked out from using that hero for the rest of the day, whatever...

If that's still too big an issue, do asynchronous multiplayer (Words with Friends style). Granted it might take a while to finish a match but they could probably think of a way to fix that. Like time limits for moves. You've got an hour/30/5 minutes to play your turn or you get skipped (or the computer moves for you).

And at the very very least, you could just do this local. The console version supports couch multiplayer. Why not let me sit next to my friend and let the A-team smack talk get settled?
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,320 Site Admin
    Rykard wrote:

Console is 100% separate, there will be no migration. It is also not a Live game like the mobile version. It will have DLC and may be supported by more in the future, but is not planned to keep up in any way.

As for mobile live multiplayer, I can't always accurately predict the future, but my Magic 8-Ball has popped up with "Not likely" the last 10 times I have asked.
  • Rykard
    IceIX wrote:
    As for mobile live multiplayer, I can't always accurately predict the future, but my Magic 8-Ball has popped up with "Not likely" the last 10 times I have asked.

Well daggummit, I know they don't owe me a reason but I am certainly curious why. Any clue? I notice Demiurge doesn't appear to be making the console port which explains why they're so drastically different.
  • IceIX
    Rykard wrote:
    Well daggummit, I know they don't owe me a reason but I am certainly curious why. Any clue? I notice Demiurge doesn't appear to be making the console port which explains why they're so drastically different.
    A lot of the comments above are some initial reasons why. It's also that it's an absolute metric ton of work on both the backend and front end sides to support such an endeavor. In order to get that feature up and running we'd essentially have a freeze on any new features other than basic new characters (with no new mechanics) for the next few months. Given that versus isn't even something most of our playerbase uses in the first place, it'd be a huge amount of work for a relatively small slice of the playerbase.
  • Rykard
    IceIX wrote:
    Rykard wrote:
    A lot of the comments above are some initial reasons why. It's also that it's an absolute metric ton of work on both the backend and front end sides to support such an endeavor. In order to get that feature up and running we'd essentially have a freeze on any new features other than basic new characters (with no new mechanics) for the next few months. Given that versus isn't even something most of our playerbase uses in the first place, it'd be a huge amount of work for a relatively small slice of the playerbase.

Makes sense. It just surprises me there aren't more of us who want that multiplayer. I really can't see myself starting a new roster on console when I could be working on my current roster on mobile. But I want to play multiplayer so bad.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Also, head-to-head multiplayer just works waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better when you don't have to worry about power consumption (constantly talking to the network will kill your mobile device's battery to death, but your console doesn't care) or connection stability.
  • OneLastGambit
    Rykard wrote:
    There are some good points here about disconnects and rage quits but I still don't think it's enough to kill the concept all together.

Beat rage quits and disconnects with disconnect penalties: ISO penalty, lock out from playing for a certain amount of time, locked out from using that hero for the rest of the day, whatever...

If that's still too big an issue, do asynchronous multiplayer (Words with Friends style). Granted it might take a while to finish a match but they could probably think of a way to fix that. Like time limits for moves. You've got an hour/30/5 minutes to play your turn or you get skipped (or the computer moves for you).

And at the very very least, you could just do this local. The console version supports couch multiplayer. Why not let me sit next to my friend and let the A-team smack talk get settled?

What about when disconnects are a network issue and not the player? There is no way to determine if it was done on purpose and I sure wouldn't like to be the guy being penalised for **** signal.
  • Rodolfo78
    Rodolfo78 Posts: 70 Match Maker
    This could be approximated by simply implementing the stronger AI that had been discussed before. Would make many more teams viable, and would make this much more of a puzzle game. Of course, it might also result in a screeching cacophony of whining that would echo through the heavens.
  • IceIX
    About the best that could realistically happen would be an option to 'program' your defense, but that would be either too simplisitc or too tedious ... and still not the same as live head-to-head, player vs. player ... more like player vs program / avatar.
    I would kill for something like that. But I'm also one of those nutjobs that finds getting a perfect gambit system worked out in FF12 to where you don't have to play in 99% of battles to be fun to do.
  • OneLastGambit
    IceIX wrote:
    About the best that could realistically happen would be an option to 'program' your defense, but that would be either too simplisitc or too tedious ... and still not the same as live head-to-head, player vs. player ... more like player vs program / avatar.
    I would kill for something like that. But I'm also one of those nutjobs that finds getting a perfect gambit system worked out in FF12 to where you don't have to play in 99% of battles to be fun to do.

I did this too!
  • OneLastGambit
    I just find it curious that the AI is shocking when using a player team to defend but suddenly gets much smarter when its an overpowered Ares, Juggs team....
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    4e1542d3efd0b59534bbff8c85ff5ceeaf200825019cbf370935d6ac75f82388_1.jpg