is anyone gettin sick of buffed characters?

jimstarooney
jimstarooney Posts: 576 Critical Contributor
edited October 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I dont like to moan i get that toons are buffed to compete with 4 stars but we are facing the same teams all week every week.hood blade shulk skip etc etc

Comments

• The weekly buffs are an interesting way to deal with iffy character balance.

If there weren't weekly buffs the meta would be way more likely to devolve into nothing but JeanBusters or such.

Instead of playing just one team over and over again all week you'd be playing one team over and over again for months on end.
  • Before the weekly buffs and before the SexGoddess nerfs, the only team you'd see was Featured+SexGoddess.

Now each week there is at least a different 3* team to either use, or fight against on your climb. Sometimes they're great, sometimes not so much. Last week saw a lot of LokiClops, this week probably a lot of Hood/Blade, or Hood/Jean, Hood/Creepsicle. At the high end, unless Hood/Loki is buffed, you're often going to see things devolve to just JeanBuster, or maybe Creepsicle slotting in there somewhere, unless mid-tier 4* are buffed and can win faster, or provide a slowdown style deterrent (Tons of Carnage the week he was buffed, not so much when he's not).

But overall, I think it's preferable to have a rotating buff list. Maybe 2 events is the right length instead of 3, but I don't want a different buff list every event, and I don't think the game would be as healthy without any buffs.
  • XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    I'm up for rotating buffs, but I think if it were weighted towards character use / strength as to how often characters were buffed it'd be better. You'd have lots of IM40 buffs, but it makes a bad character more usable. Buffing a T10 character lowers team diversity. Buffing low-mid guys to be near or on-par with T10 guys means that there are more to choose from in team construction.
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Never liked em but just got tired of complaining (I do get tired easily, though. Maybe I have fibromyalgia icon_mrgreen.gif )
  • I would completely neglect leveling up all characters if they were not buffed or featured. They become "finally good" in many cases.
    And without these, you would only see Jean/Buster, Jean/Carnage, Jean/Iceman.
    It sucks when you don't have any of the buffed characters so I usually try to stock up and spend ISO on those. I just maxed Blade.

Simulation is the non-buffed arena and so it is a good neutral ground to play in.
  • Lee T
    Lee T Posts: 318
    I like it. It adds variety and gives you a reson to play the lessee played characters.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    ...no.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    I love it, it is part of the "puzzle" part of MPQ..here is a group of random characters that may not even work together..make them work.. and win!! I have discovered some incredibly fun teams because of the weekly buffed.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    I think it's a good idea, but I still think the amount that characters are buffed is too high.

The buff should make characters more appealing to use, not make them the best and only characters to use.
  • RoryQ
    RoryQ Posts: 64 Match Maker
    Must more varied and interesting now than is it was before.
  • Raffoon wrote:
    I think it's a good idea, but I still think the amount that characters are buffed is too high.

The buff should make characters more appealing to use, not make them the best and only characters to use.

I do think that's not something that can ever be perfectly balanced in this game.

There will always be a "best" team for a particular strategy.

And the most common strategy in PVP is "How to do as much damage as fast as possible"

So buffing only pushes characters over that edge of "Ok, THIS does more damage faster."

Same with "What's the best team to put on defense so I don't get hit."

And there's other team ups for other strategies. Like, "What's the most secure way to win this match" is a different strategy, usually better served for PVE, where you won't lose progress for having a 10 minute long match instead of a 3 minute long one.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    I just don't like boosted 8000-12980 damage full-blast cyclops.
    Everything else is fine.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Everyone is playing Cyclops this week, but that's better than everyone playing Cyclops every week!
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Without buffs, people using 3* rosters wouldn't be able to compete and we would never see 3*s in the top 25. Except for Switch and Fist, because they are just there to power up Jean, 4Pool, or Hulkbuster.
  • If the point of the boost is to let 3* compete, why are there 4* characters getting boosted as well?
  • woopie
    woopie Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    Penarvon wrote:
    If the point of the boost is to let 3* compete, why are there 4* characters getting boosted as well?

Because if I can compete with a rotating roster of boosted 3*s, why would I need to level any 4*s?
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    boosteds are the only way I can reasonably take on covered 4*s and the only way I can 1) easily reach 1K and 2) reasonably (with 5-6 shields) have any chance at 1300, although I'm done with that for a while. I didn't like the boosted system at first because I had just spent covers and iso on a dedicated pvp pair and boosteds made that pair much less effective most of the time but with a nearly done 3* roster, battling with the many 4* teams out there above the 800pt level in pvp, I'm relying on boosteds. not getting sick at all. only people that should be getting sick of boosteds are the 4* players who we're hitting with boosted 3*s.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    TxMoose wrote:
    boosteds are the only way I can reasonably take on covered 4*s and the only way I can 1) easily reach 1K and 2) reasonably (with 5-6 shields) have any chance at 1300, although I'm done with that for a while. I didn't like the boosted system at first because I had just spent covers and iso on a dedicated pvp pair and boosteds made that pair much less effective most of the time but with a nearly done 3* roster, battling with the many 4* teams out there above the 800pt level in pvp, I'm relying on boosteds. not getting sick at all. only people that should be getting sick of boosteds are the 4* players who we're hitting with boosted 3*s.

I agree with this. Boosted 3*'s for now are how I can compete in 4* land on a weekly basis.

But I also agree with OP somewhat: seeing the same characters every single match for three PVP's in a row is pretty boring. It was more boring to see XF/GT every single match for six months straight...so I guess boosted helps?

I'm concerned with the "we'll boost 4* to compete with 5*!" thing that's coming. Then the PVP world will be the have and have-nots even more than now: either you have two 4*'s that are buffed that week and you'll compete, your you don't and you won't. The 3*'s buffed already rarely compete with the 4*'s buffed - if only the 4*'s take another step up....
  • A solution to this could be per-event boosted characters instead of weekly boosts
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    I used to strongly dislike this Powered-up every week feature... Now I can honestly says it adds variety to the game, makes a lot of character useable that otherwise wouldnt be and also allow you to beat 4* teams.

Overall it's a good thing, 1 week isnt that long really.