4*ARE more obtainable now

jimstarooney
jimstarooney Posts: 576 Critical Contributor
edited October 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
The last time i made 1k was in the iceman pvp.this week i have had 2 antmans(1 pve sub token 1 doc oc token) and a star lord. counting the star lord i get 2mora(day700),dpd and end of season progression thats gonna be 6 this week and maybe more to come.

Comments

• ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    I managed to nab a 4pool red and a yellow KP from lightning round tokens today.

Agreed that it seems like they are flowing a little bit more, but I don't keep a spreadsheet to be certain of that. Small sample size and what not.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    They are obviously more obtainable now. the token drop rates for 4*s have been increased twice in the past few months. and the advent of legendary tokens,and the decreased difficulty of scoring 1k have all made 4*s significantly easier to get than they were in, say, January of this year.

I don't think there is any real dispute over that fact. To the extent that there is any problem, it's that the supply of 4*s has increased even faster than the distribution rate. 4*s are now introduced to the game at the same rate as 3*s used to be released. But even after the changes discussed above, 4*s remain significantly harder to get than 3*s were in, say, January of this year.

So even with the increased availability, it seems likely that the average player has lost ground on the 4* transition. And while demiurge clearly has additional changes in mind to further increase 4* distribution rates, we players don't know what those changes will be, and can only comment on the game as it currently exists.
  • jimstarooney
    jimstarooney Posts: 576 Critical Contributor
    ZeroKarma wrote:

Agreed that it seems like they are flowing a little bit more, but I don't keep a spreadsheet to be certain of that. Small sample size and what not.
    Awesome i never seem to have the time 4 lightning rds
  • Ok, the probability has increased, cool, i hope it will be for me someday too. Since the change i have opened between event tokens and heroic tokens, more than 50, not even a **** 4s. In fact, its been more than two months since the last time i got a 4s from a token. I suppose im just very lucky icon_e_smile.gif
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just this week:

all 4*s from leg tokens, pvp tokens, 1k rewards..

icon_ironman.pngredflag.png (bout time!)
    icon_antman.pngblueflag.png
    icon_thor.pngredflag.png
    icon_carnage.pngblackflag.png
    icon_thing.pnggreenflag.png
    icon_professorx.pngyellowflag.png
    I am going to say , yes, much more obtainable.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    It makes sense. Power creep being what it is, at some point 4* characters will occupy the same role that 3*'s do now, and so on for 5*'s. So it's logical to open the valve a teensy bit more to make them more obtainable.

Personally I'm saving up my legendary tokens for the next 5* release, but I've got 7 stored and I already opened a couple in a moment of weakness, plus I've bagged a handful of non-legendary 4* covers. So, yeah, I agree on this as well.
  • Im reading all of u, and im getting so icon_eek.gif I guess it must be that im gonna be married with Jessica Alba in the future, so i have to compensate it having such a bad luck on games....
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma wrote:

Awesome i never seem to have the time 4 lightning rds

The fam was out of town today and yesterday so I really got the chance to hit them. I was shocked by how much ISO I pulled in over that time. Colog was right that you need to play the, if you want to get the ISO flowing.

I'm happy for the covers as well, of course. I found that throwing up JG/HB with whichever featured was enough to keep the dogs at bay.
  • ZeroKarma
    Jarvind wrote:
    It makes sense. Power creep being what it is, at some point 4* characters will occupy the same role that 3*'s do now, and so on for 5*'s. So it's logical to open the valve a teensy bit more to make them more obtainable.

Personally I'm saving up my legendary tokens for the next 5* release, but I've got 7 stored and I already opened a couple in a moment of weakness, plus I've bagged a handful of non-legendary 4* covers. So, yeah, I agree on this as well.

I've tried to get the wife to at least accept the game, so I let her and my 2 year old open covers. He loves them all, but she hates anything that isn't gold. Once that 2nd 5* is released I'm going to meter the legendaries out to her. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2015
    Now we just need the iso valve opened a bit more...

And yes, I play the LRs...
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    The real problem is still that getting the 4* acquisition train really rolling requires having fairly good rosters in the first place. I'm in a fairly newbie friendly alliance, and I'm seeing them struggling more.

Take the current PvP, with placement awards for She-Hulk. The top 10 all have maxed She-Hulks. I'd imagine that is the case for many placing highly. So, some people that actually want those rewards are getting slaughtered by max Fistbustbusters and other various 4* teams, because they're in it for progression and season points. So, I do see a divide where it is better for some, but worse if you were already struggling.
  • I read this as I open yet another 2* daken.....
  • Being more obtainable doesn't really mean much when they are releasing 4*s at the same rate they were releasing 3*s while their distribution rate isn't anywhere near what the 3* distribution rate was when they were being released on a 2 week schedule. Hooray! We know that people who were already easily hitting 1k and above, who were decently into the 4* transition, benefit from the 4* ddq but don't act like the 3* players trying to start their transition are in a much better position.

The current 4* accessibility for 3* transitioners is essentially the same, if not actually worse, than before the 2 week release schedule because before they were at least not being flooded with tons of new 4*s that dilute the pool for the 4*s they have slightly covered.

Supposedly, they have something new in the works to help those transitioners but I don't think anyone should hold their breath until they actually release information (not teasers from an admin, actual information). The 4* ddq was supposedly that thing and we know how that turned out.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    Just this week:

all 4*s from leg tokens, pvp tokens, 1k rewards..

icon_ironman.pngredflag.png (bout time!)
    icon_antman.pngblueflag.png
    icon_thor.pngredflag.png
    icon_carnage.pngblackflag.png
    icon_thing.pnggreenflag.png
    icon_professorx.pngyellowflag.png
    I am going to say , yes, much more obtainable.

and this is why the gap between those who can make it and those who cant will grow so much it will turn many away in 3 months
  • slidecage wrote:

and this is why the gap between those who can make it and those who cant will grow so much it will turn many away in 3 months

You're not seeing the positive there slide.
    If the system creates a power gap, it means D3 can niche build a solution (a la DDQ) to bridge that transition.

And having seen them do it in the past, I trust them to make a non-competitive and feasible solution.

Just have a little faith
    After so many days played, they do pay out.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yep, absolutely they are way more obtainable than they used to be!

Problem (for those just getting to 1K)
    10x 4* from PVP's per season, if you get 1K for each.
    4x DDQ legendaries per season, if you can beat them.
    1x 4* at 2K Sim, if you can get there.
    1x DDQ legendary at 7500, if you can get there.

Seventeen 4*'s right now, and approximately two added each season. You aren't even getting one cover for each character each season. You need thirteen covers for any 4* - after you can reach the thresh-holds above, it will take you more than 17 seasons to cover your 4*'s.

Of course, it will take you longer than that to get the ISO to level them - so no problems after all! icon_e_wink.gif
  • Really? You are going to use that as an example? You essentially told him that he should be happy that he is falling further and further behind.

I guess don't fret because once there are 30 4 stars they will be ready to ease up the distribution and have them be given out like 3 stars. I hope it isn't placement based in a year because those dirty 3 star players already get edged out of top hundred in a lot of brackets.

Please. There's nothing to be optimistic about for those players until there's hard info. They got their hopes up and we're given a single token per pve and a tiny boost in token drop rates.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT wrote:

Seventeen 4*'s right now, and approximately two added each season. You aren't even getting one cover for each character each season. You need thirteen covers for any 4* - after you can reach the thresh-holds above, it will take you more than 17 seasons to cover your 4*'s.

Of course, it will take you longer than that to get the ISO to level them - so no problems after all! icon_e_wink.gif

Well, you should also count the 1300 legendaries, since I am sure the devs will. Even so that's 27 4* or legendary tokens per month. 26 new 4* cover slots are introduced each month (13 for each new 4*). So you would basically be just keeping up if you got every single possible PVP- and ddq-related 4* reward. But 15 of those rewards are legendary tokens, so there is no guarantee that you will get the 4* covers you actually need.

In January of 2015, top 100 alliance players could reasonably expect a new 3* to be playable in a little over a month. Basically by the time that character rotated back around for a second PVP event you would probably have 10-13 covers depending on luck. With the current 4* model it will take much much longer for non-whales to max out any new character.

If I can indulge in a not-so-humble-brag session, I think that I am a fairly high-tier veteran player, not top-of-the-line, but probably better than 95% of players. I have a basically complete 3* roster, and 5 or 6 4*s covered and leveled above 166 (including at least one top tier one in IMHB). I have only just gotten Prof. X and Kingpin anywhere close to usability. So that's about 5 months for me, someone who gets just about every useful 1k reward and is in a top 100 PVP alliance. Sure, some people have done the same thing in less time. But I bet that most people are well behind that pace, and that doesn't seem like a sustainable model when a new 4* is coming out every 2 weeks.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT wrote:

While you make a good point, I feel like if they increased the drop rates further you'd have the opposite problem - loads of people with maxed out rosters complaining that every match is the same and there's a dearth of new content. It's virtually impossible to make a game like this perfect - I'd rather err on the side of always having something to strive for (with the option to straight up buy it in most cases if I really want to) than let the game stagnate because the acquisition curve wasn't steep enough.
  • If they're so worried about those players hitting acquisition too fast, they could easily lower acquisition thresholds and those hardcore players literally won't gain any extra covers but we know that's not their issue.

If it was the worry, the four star ddq wouldn't require a roughly half covered character, or a stupid lucky board, and the 1k and 1.3k would be lowered to make it easier for lower tier players while not increasing acquisition for the hardcore. While we're at it, we can move those 3 star cover rewards and help give them to players that actually don't have the character maxed.

We can't act like they are afraid of throwing covers at the hardcore and whales when that's what the largest change, the 4 star ddq and legendary token with 40 pack, has done.

The pve legendary once a pve doesn't do a single thing to help 3 star transitions progress when we are given a new 4 star every two weeks. It's basic math.