Should I just cash in my 5 legendary tokens now?

2»

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2015
    I'm on the side of opening now.

In terms of cost benefit, the opportunity cost of not opening them up can be holding you back from a useable 4*, and towards the end of season sim, that becomes important.

This is my opinion of course, but I'd rather have now (instant gratification), that postpone

But what is the chance that a single 4* cover for any given character will take them from useless to usable? Maybe 4-to-5 in imhb red? Or 4-to-5 in xfw black pre-need? But then what are the chances of getting that 1 cover from a legendary token?

As I said earlier, the costs of waiting seem very small relative to benefit of twice the % or a 5*.
  • woopie
    woopie Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    My 1 blue cover SS was actually really helpful in the last run of the Simulator. He tanked red and black for my XFW/XDP team and I didn't really care if I lost him. Match damage was definitely helpful
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    I opened them hoping for SS, and if not, then IW Green for the IW 4* DDQ node... that didn't happen... now I'm going to get her from daily progression in 5 days... 2/2/0 IW just didn't cut it.
  • moogles85
    moogles85 Posts: 186 Tile Toppler
    If you have a very weak/beginner roster, you should definitely crack them open earlier - finding a SS will allow you a easier time taking on 3*/4* transition teams simply with his match damage and give you a larger advantage in pvp/pve placements.

For anyone else, I would recommend waiting especially if you intend on playing this game long term and intend on collecting "all" covers.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    moogles85 wrote:
    If you have a very weak/beginner roster, you should definitely crack them open earlier - finding a SS will allow you a easier time taking on 3*/4* transition teams simply with his match damage and give you a larger advantage in pvp/pve placements.

For anyone else, I would recommend waiting especially if you intend on playing this game long term and intend on collecting "all" covers.

It depends what you mean by a weak roster, I mostly play on pc and my phone version is pretty much 2* only and adding surfer to that roster meant that everything scaled up to such an extent that I had to use surfer too much which then pushed things up still further and to be honest I think I am going to have to sell it off just for the game to return to playable again.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm at the point where it makes more sense for me to open the tokens now rather than wait. I only have 1 maxed 4* (XFW) and many others in the 6-12 cover range. I'd rather see a good 4* cover that would enable to to actually start using those characters than just have 1 cover of a 5* for a couple of months doing mostly nothing.

My 1 blue SS is useful for taking out trivial node with his match damage, but at this point I'd rather have a HB red or JG purple. I've probably pulled 4 PX covers from Legendary tokens and now he has 5 blue. That has a much bigger impact for me than hoarding tokens and maybe getting 1 OML or another SS cover later.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Vhailorx wrote:
    I disagree with the consensus and recommend stockpiling for the second 5*.

There is a very very small chance that any single 4* cover you might pull would have a big,impact on your play over the next three weeks. And long term you will want 5*s, so why not double your chances for the paltry cost of waiting a few weeks?

I second Vhail's suggestion. I'm currently hoarding 12 legendary tokens. I will open when the next 5* character is released. Also, from the teaser I personally think the second 5* is better than SS actually. So factoring in the doubling of current 5% draw rate, it makes plenty more sense for me to hold off on opening my tokens.

I understand people needing 4* covers. And the lure of covering more 4*s is certainly great. However, I still think you're better off holding the token and wait for Iceman to be added to the draw as well.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2015
    my decision is to hold off. I'm up to 7 legendaries and I could use every 4* cover I could get - I have no 4* abilities maxed, but some of the weaker abilities are at 3 covers. but i'll definitely cover those and respec later as they come in. trying to think long-term here.

edit: there are definitely times that the temptation comes to crack them open. I imagine if I struggle too much tomorrow in the ddq node with my 2/2/3 hb, i'll be tempted to see if I can pull a black or red for him. I have all the 4*s rostered and can fit in 5*s as needed.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think this question really can be answered by another question.... Do you have roster space to accommodate 5 (possible) new 4/5* characters? No? Don't open them. Yes? Crack them open.

I have no impulse control when it comes to shiny purple tokens and open them immediately, does this help? Nope I have a full roster and I refuse to buy HP I live only on what I win. and now I have Thing, Nick Fury and Hulkbuster waiting to expire. Trust me, opening them is not wise if you cannot accommodate them on your roster.
  • Lee T
    Lee T Posts: 318
    I think this question really can be answered by another question.... Do you have roster space to accommodate 5 (possible) new 4/5* characters? No? Don't open them. Yes? Crack them open.

This is a good advice. Since I do need more 4* cover I do open my legendaries. However I had to roster a new Jean Grey and a new Carnage. Since i also won Iceman and had a new Thing out of an event token, the last weeks were hard on my HP reserve.

I would also recommend people in their 3* phase to hoard them. You don't need to roster a useless one cover 4* when you're still in the process of gathering 3* guys.