Should I just cash in my 5 legendary tokens now?

herm1978
herm1978 Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
edited September 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I was thinking that I should just stockpile the legendary tokens I get for when there is two 5* characters (for a 5%+5% chance for a 5*).

I only have X-force (3/3/3), IW (2/1/5) and Thor (1/3/2) at 5+ covers (Dino at 5, but that hardly counts). And since I have 3 at 4 covers and 7 at 1-2 cover maybe it would be better to just cover the ones I have a bit more (legendary tokes is the only way short of luck that I can get 4* (I can't make 1000+ in pvp with the effort I'm prepared to spend)).

Comments

• Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think somebody (IceX?) said the next 5* will not expand the probability. So you will have 5% at 5* only if you get one it will be one or the other. Since you need the 4* anyway regardless of the Name I would go for it.

I speak from experience as I don't have any 4* with max covers in a desired color (got 5 green for xforce a week before the nerf). I open the Legendary as soon as I get them. Out of 7 so far i have 2 SilverSurfer covers (that is way above average in terms of luck, don't count on it) and 5 4* i could use. So 100% was good for me.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    No, if I remember correctly, the next 5* will expand the probability for a 5* to 10%, but the third will not further increase the overall odds.

I spent my first 4 (nothing useful, 3 redundant covers and only 1 capfalc cover I didn't have yet), but I've been hoarding them as soon as the season started, waiting for the extra 5* and Iceman to be added.

I think the OP might as well use them now, considering his roster and situation.
  • Gowaderacer
    Gowaderacer Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    Yep I would cash them in. It seems like you are deep enough into 4* transition that the random 4* covers you pull will be more useful than the 1-2 surfer covers you might get.

I've opened around 10 legendaries and have pulled 0 surfers but have brought a couple of 4*s like Jean and Starlord into usable range so I'm happy with them so far.
  • Unless you are swimming into 4*s, open them up. I have ONE max covered 4* and it's a 445 WXF, even him needs a cover still, so I've been opening them and got some useful stuff like Reed, star-lord and elektra covers. While they are not good characters they will be essentials on DDQ someday and I will need every cover to beat it with them, and I can't see me doing it with a 111 elektra.
  • herm1978
    herm1978 Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    Guess opening them sounds reasonable.

With my luck I guess I'll be happy to only get one icon_invisiblewoman.pnggreenflag.png

Edit: Well, lucky me. Got a icon_invisiblewoman.pngblueflag.png

icon_lol.gif
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    I've been pondering the same as well and I concluded I will wait until I run into a Deadpool daily I can't do with the covers I already have. My hulkbuster is 1-2-1 so depending of who is the opponent I might open mine to see if I get more hulkbuster covers.
  • My thoughts on this are, from someone who is in a similar (if a little worse off) position:

I'd be happy with a higher chance at a 5* if I was going to wait, but what am I going to do with just 1 cover of a 5*? It'll be nice if I was lucky enough to be able to skip covering a 4* all together, but considering the rate I earn legendary tokens (from every pve so far, and then the odd DDQ token), the 4*s I can pull are much more useful to me, especially considering there are only 2 4* covers in my position (Thor red and Starlord Purple) I have maxed already and hence do not need.

I'm happy taking the current rates and just hoping to pull the Thor covers I need to get my 4*s more covered. If I have a 5*, I'll be happy since they are so rare, but I'd probably be happier with getting JG, IMHB, 4Thor etc... covers.
  • once upon a time joe said: 2x 5star=2,5% each.
  • I was going to recommend "Wait, unless you got all the 4*s rostered, until you get enough HP for a roster slot, just in case"

I'm going to hold onto mine until I save up the HP for another roster spot, because the only spot I have to spare is the "Rotate dumb essentials" spot right now, and I'd rather not have to cut that one for one Professor X cover or something.

But then again I ain't willing to cut my 1 cover Star Lord either so shrug?
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    once upon a time joe said: 2x 5star=2,5% each.

From the transcription of the Line q&a with IceIX:
    Stax (Skrull) - How will 5* token rates scale with added 5*s?
    IceIX - 5% -> 10% up to the first 3 5*s, we'll look at rollout past that.
    IceIX - So 5%, 5%(x2), 3.3%(x3)

So draw rate for 5* from Legendaries will be 10% from the next 5* release onward.
  • Lee T
    Lee T Posts: 318
    I need the 4* more than I need the 5* so I open them as soon as I get them before the 5* % goes from 5 to 10.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    i would save them SS sounds like he really sucks compair to the nexxt 5 star
  • Hold them for when they make them sellable.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    I disagree with the consensus and recommend stockpiling for the second 5*.

There is a very very small chance that any single 4* cover you might pull would have a big,impact on your play over the next three weeks. And long term you will want 5*s, so why not double your chances for the paltry cost of waiting a few weeks?
  • Vhailorx wrote:
    I disagree with the consensus and recommend stockpiling for the second 5*.

There is a very very small chance that any single 4* cover you might pull would have a big,impact on your play over the next three weeks. And long term you will want 5*s, so why not double your chances for the paltry cost of waiting a few weeks?

Definitely agree with this. Wolverine is my only max covered 4* and I'm hoarding mine.

Looking at the probabilities (assuming all covers are equally distributed & there are 16(?) 4*s available in tokens):

Now: After adding second 5*:
    Getting a cover for a specific character, say Hulkbuster:
    5.938% 5.625%

Getting a specific cover, say Hulkbuster red:
    1.979% 1.875%

So you have only slightly worse odds of getting any particular desired character or cover, plus an additional 5% chance of starting an uber character. Seems pretty clear to me hoarding's a better option.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    metabelian wrote:
    Looking at the probabilities (assuming all covers are equally distributed & there are 16(?) 4*s available in tokens):

Now: After adding second 5*:
    Getting a cover for a specific character, say Hulkbuster:
    5.938% 5.625%

Getting a specific cover, say Hulkbuster red:
    1.979% 1.875%

So you have only slightly worse odds of getting any particular desired character or cover, plus an additional 5% chance of starting an uber character. Seems pretty clear to me hoarding's a better option.
    The numbers will decrease slightly more as they also add in the newer 4* characters like Iceman, but I think your point stands.
  • Even though I really need another cover to level up Hulkbuster (currently only 3/1/1) so I can play the next 4* DDQ node, I'm not cashing in on Legendary yet. I was able to complete the other DDQ nodes, but 5 covers is below the threshold of winnable. I think getting a HB cover is just as likely as a SS which aren't the greatest odds and I have bad luck.

October/Anniversary is so close. Going to hold out here.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    You've waiting this long, I would wait the final 2 weeks or whatever it is. How much would those other covers improve your performance over those couple weeks?
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    scottee wrote:
    You've waiting this long, I would wait the final 2 weeks or whatever it is. How much would those other covers improve your performance over those couple weeks?
    Good point. My Hulkbuster is at the level cap for 2/2/1 but my Thor is in great shape. I think I will be okay for the remaining DDQ Legendary nodes (and will have 39 vault pulls to try to get another Hulkbuster for Wed).
  • I'm on the side of opening now.

In terms of cost benefit, the opportunity cost of not opening them up can be holding you back from a useable 4*, and towards the end of season sim, that becomes important.

This is my opinion of course, but I'd rather have now (instant gratification), than postpone