Kudos to the devs for today's 4* match up

Gowaderacer
Gowaderacer Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
edited September 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I wanted to thank the devs for the matchup of Invisible Woman and Quicksilver. While it didn't fit much with Marvel lore like the last 2 battles did, it was a challenging yet fair match that really brought the "puzzle" back to puzzle quest.

I had several alliance mates that beat the match with an under-levled IW just by making very careful matches and watching locked tiles. I have a 3/5/5 211 IW and had to think strategically about every match I made and whether it was worth matching blue or if I should match away the locked tile to weaken QS. Just a fun match overall.

Comments

• TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    after finishing this one with only 4 covers and no green, I agree. this was much more reasonable than going at magneto with my 4 fury covers - that seemed hopeless when I quit trying there, but had less time for that one. thinking they won't be giving us a break for hb since everyone seems to have a usable one.
  • ynglink
    ynglink Posts: 195
    I agree, going into this before knowing it was Quicksilver, I figured that this would be my best chance (since my IW has 7 covers 2/3/2). It being Quicksilver made it very interesting and instead of prioritizing Blue and the Protect tiles like I normally was thinking to spam, I had to go straight into yellow and build green, while also building up blue very strategically. It was pretty awesome. Took 3 tries altogether.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Overall it highlights just how bad QS really is, even @270 he can be handled by a under covered, under leveled IW
  • I do think part of that is the nature of IW's powers in general.

Just pure match damage could take down a low level Fury or XFW, and all either could do against it was Wolverine getting off a few Healings and Fury hoping he could Assemble some Avengers to get some protection, which were more short term solutions compared to IW's "Turn totally invincible at one cover" ability.

I'd have a hard time thinking of what'd be a good matchup for XF-Pool or The Thing when one of their abilities rely on having a teammate, and Thing has nothing that bolsters his own defenses.

(Making the Thing node "Required Thing + Level 15 BabyTorch" would be kinda cute.)
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd like to play this again just for fun.
  • So winning with a 111 cover is applauded, but losing with a 112 cover is the worst move in the history of gaming?

I understand.
  • Hayek
    Hayek Posts: 96 Match Maker
    fmftint wrote:
    Overall it highlights just how bad QS really is, even @270 he can be handled by a under covered, under leveled IW

I disagree with you. A 1/0/0 level 70 IW could have taken out 270 Cyc or 270 fury way more easily than a 270 QS. True the AI can't play QS, but he actually poses a challenge against IW's power set.
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    agree with OP.

It was hard but not impossible hard and didn't require boosts to win. The fact that people with 2/1/3 IWs and such were beating it consistently shows that it's good
  • Ir0nF1sh
    Ir0nF1sh Posts: 52 Match Maker
    icon_mad.gif I disagree. Tried this 4 times. Boosted all relevant colors. When I was invisible, quicksilver blue still near killed me. Surely as long as my invisibility tile is down the damage should be negated?
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hayek wrote:
    fmftint wrote:

I disagree with you. A 1/0/0 level 70 IW could have taken out 270 Cyc or 270 fury way more easily than a 270 QS. True the AI can't play QS, but he actually poses a challenge against IW's power set.

Did you mean the 270 Magneto?

But yeah, I agree that a 1/0/0 IW could go invisible and clean house with Cyc or QS (albeit very slowly). With Mags, you'd have to get very lucky since his yellow shields can overwrite your invisibility tile (I think). Not sure if Fury's demolition counts as a AOE or if it target specific, even if that target is invisible.

Devs? What say you about that scenario?
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ir0nF1sh wrote:
    :x I disagree. Tried this 4 times. Boosted all relevant colors. When I was invisible, quicksilver blue still near killed me. Surely as long as my invisibility tile is down the damage should be negated?

QS's blue counts as an AoE, so you'll get hit regardless of visibility status. The real trick is to manage your blues without triggering the explosion by matching team up tiles or matching 4-matches to clear them out ahead of time.

In my match, I created them as often as I destroyed them, which allowed me to strategically build up my blues and greens. While invisible, I didn't much care if QS dropped his green critical tile. And keeping more than one invisibility tile out there gave me the backup to maneuver how I needed and take my time. It took me 10 minutes for the match, but I never took any damage once I originally went invisible and I never once had his explosion go off.
  • Hayek
    Hayek Posts: 96 Match Maker
    pheregas wrote:
    Hayek wrote:
    fmftint wrote:

Did you mean the 270 Magneto?

But yeah, I agree that a 1/0/0 IW could go invisible and clean house with Cyc or QS (albeit very slowly). With Mags, you'd have to get very lucky since his yellow shields can overwrite your invisibility tile (I think). Not sure if Fury's demolition counts as a AOE or if it target specific, even if that target is invisible.

Devs? What say you about that scenario?

Yea, sorry, I meant mags. I don't think you need to get lucky really. You're reduced to just chasing yellow. As long as you deny him his shields (which you have to do to win in a reasonable amount of time with match damage) and go invisible, he can't hurt you with anything. Sure his other 2 powers can cause cascades that can take out your invisibility, but the power's damage is done before the cascades and thus negated. If you're chasing yellow like you should be, you just have to go invisible again.

And Fury's demolition is not an AoE. Damage would be negated.
  • ynglink
    ynglink Posts: 195
    pheregas wrote:
    Ir0nF1sh wrote:
    :x I disagree. Tried this 4 times. Boosted all relevant colors. When I was invisible, quicksilver blue still near killed me. Surely as long as my invisibility tile is down the damage should be negated?

QS's blue counts as an AoE, so you'll get hit regardless of visibility status. The real trick is to manage your blues without triggering the explosion by matching team up tiles or matching 4-matches to clear them out ahead of time.

In my match, I created them as often as I destroyed them, which allowed me to strategically build up my blues and greens. While invisible, I didn't much care if QS dropped his green critical tile. And keeping more than one invisibility tile out there gave me the backup to maneuver how I needed and take my time. It took me 10 minutes for the match, but I never took any damage once I originally went invisible and I never once had his explosion go off.
    Don't forget that your force bubbles will add up to the blue trigger (won't trigger it until a blue match happens though, even if you go over five.) So make sure not to create them "just cause". I saved up to use it until I could pop them with green, typically placing them near the locked tiles to pop them too.
  • IlDuderino
    IlDuderino Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    Had loads of fun with this compared to the misery of XForce and Nick Fury - more like this please! icon_e_smile.gif
  • IlDuderino wrote:
    Had loads of fun with this compared to the misery of XForce and Nick Fury - more like this please! icon_e_smile.gif

Problem is, part of what made this one fun WAS it being Invisible Woman.

Only Professor X can stall invisible forever, and he doesn't have anything else fun he could bring to the table otherwise.

icon_invisiblewoman.png confirmed best underdog character
  • Akari
    Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    I beat this with a 2/0/0 IW. I had to spend the entire time matching some yellow to stay invisible and then spending the rest of the time matching locked tiles to prevent from dying. Very tricky and tedious, but entirely doable with the absolute bare minimum.

And then I got my first Silver Surfer from the cover, so it was worth it!
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2015
    Just wondering if anyone had more advice on how to do this. My IW is severely under-leveled, so even though I was able to get a yellow out, previous damage + one blue passive going off nailed me. Is there much strategy other than:
    - get yellow out ASAP, possibly starting with boosts to reduce it to 2 matches
    - don't match blue
    - match all blurred team up ASAP (typically impossible)
    - get lucky, because I watched as QS would match 3 and then 3 blue would drop down and match again. Ouch.

Edit: Sorry, just saw the other thread on this, I'll go there.
  • There's also "If you can get enough bluetile.png and greentile.png to use both abilities in one turn, place forcefield.png next to the locked_qs.png Team Up tiles that are rather impossible to get, then use greenflag.png to pop them.

Other then that you seem to got it.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    They should really allow you to replay the legendary 1v1. I've already beat the node for the day, but it was a good fun match and I'd love to replay it again. It doesn't really matter if its for no rewards. maybe make it like the season node for SS
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    ynglink wrote:
    pheregas wrote:
    Ir0nF1sh wrote:

Don't forget that your force bubbles will add up to the blue trigger (won't trigger it until a blue match happens though, even if you go over five.) So make sure not to create them "just cause". I saved up to use it until I could pop them with green, typically placing them near the locked tiles to pop them too.

What I find odd, is that IW's bubbles count for QS, but QS's don't blow up for IW's green.