New Phone? Remember To Back-Up Your Game!

David [Hi-Fi] Moore
David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
edited November 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Hi folks,

The title pretty much says it all. With new mobile devices arriving soon - this is a friendly reminder to back-up your game on your old phone before switching to a new phone!

It's a fairly simple procedure. For MPQ, while in-game, tap the gear icon in the upper left-hand corner of the screen. Then click the Facebook icon and follow any prompts.

For more on game saving, you can visit our in-game FAQ listed under "HELP" and the online FAQ HERE.

Thank you!

*Update: Added some words for clarity. Thanks, turul!

Comments

• turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hope you guys enable pre-tutorial backup restoration! (if not done already)

Some clarification:

Step 1) Do the facebook backup procedure described above ON OLD PHONE.
    Step 2) Do it on new phone.

DO NOT CONNECT NEW PHONE TO FACEBOOK FIRST!
  • Ronburgundy
    Ronburgundy Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    Is facebook the only way to back up the game? I don't use it. Am I good just syncing my phone to through iTunes and restoring that backup on the new phone?
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    Wait? We're getting new phones? Can I get mine in black please? icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Lidolas wrote:
    Wait? We're getting new phones? Can I get mine in black please? icon_e_biggrin.gif

They'll probably introduce the new Phones in a week long torturous grind PVE, as usual.

I'd join late and try to get a top ten. I'd love a Samsung blackflag.pngpurpleflag.pngredflag.png , personally.
  • xdogg
    xdogg Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    In 14 days the game will only work on Galaxy S6
  • Is facebook the only way to back up the game? I don't use it. Am I good just syncing my phone to through iTunes and restoring that backup on the new phone?
    It's the only way. You don't need to use it really, just to login in the app and leave it there.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    turul wrote:
    Hope you guys enable pre-tutorial backup restoration! (if not done already)

This. It's a pain in the **** having to play the tutorial just to get the option to resynch your game.

Also if you are giving new phones can I have the latest HTC please?
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Google's announcing new Nexus phones for my birthday next week. I'll take one of those.

(Also, yes, please let us restore an account immediately on first loading up the game. The tutorial takes SO LONG.
  • jffdougan
    jffdougan Posts: 733 Critical Contributor
    For those of us who do not use Facebook, but may be replacing devices - what options do we have? I'm at day 409+ and really don't want to start from scratch.
  • Zifna
    Zifna Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    Having replaced my phone recently... I'd like to beg you guys to make the process to restore from backup less gratuitously painful.

When I got the new phone, I logged into G+ AND Facebook before starting up MPQ (just in case). It did not auto-restore.

I then had to play through a large number of maps (6? 7?) before I even had the OPTION to try to restore. The settings button was visible as I played some of these maps, but it was not clickable until the ENTIRE tutorial had been completed.

THEN, when you open settings, you have to hit a button saying you'll create a backup, whereupon it will inform you that you already have one and ask if you'd like to restore from that. Why? It's so nerve wracking, hitting the button to make a backup when you know you have one. You're just sitting there anxious that it's going to actually do what it says it's doing. Why not make a discreet "Restore from backup" button on the tutorial screen? Why not have a "Backup options" button in settings instead of simply a "create backup" one?

I beg of you to solve this before I ever have to restore from backup again.
  • jffdougan wrote:
    For those of us who do not use Facebook, but may be replacing devices - what options do we have? I'm at day 409+ and really don't want to start from scratch.
    All you need to do is backup with Facebook once, then backup in the new phone then uninstall the Facebook app again.
  • jffdougan
    jffdougan Posts: 733 Critical Contributor
    ShionSinX wrote:
    jffdougan wrote:
    All you need to do is backup with Facebook once, then backup in the new phone then uninstall the Facebook app again.

You're missing the point. What you describe would require that I actually create a Facebook account, which I do not have. Nor, at least at present, am I interested in creating one.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    jffdougan wrote:
    ShionSinX wrote:
    jffdougan wrote:

You're missing the point. What you describe would require that I actually create a Facebook account, which I do not have. Nor, at least at present, am I interested in creating one.

The answer would then be (mostly) no. FB backup is the only official way of backing up your game data. Having said that, support will retrieve your account in the event of an inadvertent wipe/lost phone if you didn't have a FB backup, so you could submit a support ticket to that effect with your new phone. It sounds easier to create a dummy FB account and never use it otherwise, though.
  • Melevorn
    Melevorn Posts: 137 Tile Toppler
    redtile.png I don't have a Facebook account.

yellowtile.png I don't have a dummy Facebook account.

purpletile.png All of my computers/devices block all IP requests to Facebook sites (stopping trackers, scripts, seeing 'Like' buttons, etc).

greentile.png Does this mean that I'm stuck with my current phone until I get tired of MPQ (one year and a few hundred $ in, that's not happening soon)?
  • @jffdougan: you have conflicting interests then. If you don't have a FB account it's ok, but refusing to make one for 5 minutes just to backup the game is just...bad. You don't have to use your real information on that account nor maintain it, just use it as a simple tool to move your save data to a new phone. It's the tool we have now, like it or not.

@Melevorn: there isn't any public WiFi that you can use momentarily, like in a shopping mall or store (fast-food and gaming places usually have that)? Or someone's phone to use as a router for a short while?
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Would saving the MPQ .apk to micro SD be an option then popping that into a new phone? A bit wank for Apple fan boys but maybe for the cool Android kids.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    Yes, please allow for a "pre-tutorial" restore option. 20 minute tutorial just to install the restore is sub-optimal.
  • XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    ShionSinX wrote:
    @jffdougan: you have conflicting interests then. If you don't have a FB account it's ok, but refusing to make one for 5 minutes just to backup the game is just...bad. You don't have to use your real information on that account nor maintain it, just use it as a simple tool to move your save data to a new phone. It's the tool we have now, like it or not.

Sure, you just have to remember to scrub your browser afterwards or Facebook will track every website you visit.
  • ShionSinX wrote:
    @jffdougan: you have conflicting interests then. If you don't have a FB account it's ok, but refusing to make one for 5 minutes just to backup the game is just...bad. You don't have to use your real information on that account nor maintain it, just use it as a simple tool to move your save data to a new phone. It's the tool we have now, like it or not.
    Sure, you just have to remember to scrub your browser afterwards or Facebook will track every website you visit.
    Does that happen with the app tho? If it does, I will repeat myself: after you are done you can remove the app from your phone.
  • XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    ShionSinX wrote:
    ShionSinX wrote:
    Does that happen with the app tho? If it does, I will repeat myself: after you are done you can remove the app from your phone.

Oh, the app is much, much worse.

The app can collect all the data on your phone, including all of your contacts' data, read all of your texts, check your call history, collect your bookmarks, browser, and application history, download your calendar, record your conversations, use your camera, write all of that to your phone, and run a script that sends it home regardless if the application is installed.

WILL it do all that? Not likely. CAN it? Oh, you bet. Does it probably collect all your data that it can mine from any source? I wouldn't bet against it.