Tired of getting hit while in a match

Afrocigar
Afrocigar Posts: 73 Match Maker
edited September 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Today was just rough. I'm 27pts away from 1000pts in PVP, leave the match and I'm down -127pts! What gives?

There has to be a solution on the horizon for this, no?

Matches are becoming increasingly frustrating. The above has happened many times to me. I've also had matches that I thought would give me a certain amount of points actually give me less.

I know the reasons I get less points than the match start because of scaling and all. But, why does it have to be that way? It seems like the system in place is presenting false information and the game is leaving it up to me to do the heavy lifting of figuring out when and how to master it's hidden system of calculating things.

If I take a match for x points, I think I should get x points regardless. Why does it have to be fuzzy? If I'm y points away from my goal why take points away without giving me any tools to protect against losing points? I can see losing points while unshielded, the game has an option for me. These other cheap things that happen are totally out of my control.

I'm not close to quitting, but I'm definitely going to have to adjust my expectations.

Comments

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    So it is defiantly frustrating to be climbing and end up to lose 100+ points. Been ther done that. Just remember when you take on a match and get less points it is not because of scaling it is because the person you took on lost points. So if I was he person attacking you while you were climbing because you lost 127 points you would be worth less points to me.
    The solution is not easy because if the put it in place you can't get hit while in a match you could just start a match and turn your sleep function off and you would have a free shield.
    There is work to be done on this end but no easy solution
  • razput1n
    razput1n Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    I think they should remove defensive shielded win points and let people target shielded players, that way you can find better targets, and unshielded people target the whole community instead of hitting each other.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    so same thing happened to me last night. started my push from ~600. I get to the low 900s and then get a fat juicy queue against a team that I probably won't beat, but think, hey, its my last match of the push. it did not go well. horrible board and I could not get to the cd. jean/hb wiped me good. only lost 10 or so but came out to -100. yes it sucked. but I knew I probably should have just bitten off my normal 300 pts for my push and shielded, so not the systems fault - we know the system and it doesn't change. our challenge is to be successful within the system we have. now I'm up to 1171 pts and am contemplating using a 24 hr shield for an extra hop because if things go right, 1300 is still in play for me. learn to overcome. of course, that is much easier if you have a supply of hp beyond what the game provides - can't imagine many f2p 3* rosters making 1300.
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    razput1n wrote:
    I think they should remove defensive shielded win points and let people target shielded players, that way you can find better targets, and unshielded people target the whole community instead of hitting each other.

That would make progressions really really really easy to hit. As in, the metrics for % of people hitting 1k-1.3k would be much much much higher than the devs would like, so welcome to the new 2k-2.6k progression world!

(I'm exaggerating that number on purpose)
  • san
    san Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    While I certainly empathize with you here, and have had it happen a number of times, this is the reality of the MPQ PvP. Sometimes you can make 1000 easily, and other times not so much. Don't despair, and instead, create a stronger roster that is less likely to be hit. Last night I wasn't hit even once because of the roster I fielded, and went to 1000 all in one go. It's doable, for sure, but it has taken time to create my roster, which includes 18 maxed 3*s and a number of fairly strong characters at high enough levels to deter retals.
  • cyineedsn wrote:
    razput1n wrote:
    That would make progressions really really really easy to hit. As in, the metrics for % of people hitting 1k-1.3k would be much much much higher than the devs would like, so welcome to the new 2k-2.6k progression world!

This is funny because would screw up coordinated hops, as you would have the entire slice to queue at all times so the chances to queue a specific target would be slim.

Would need way more skips to find good pointers but they would be there always so not too bad in the end.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    ShionSinX wrote:
    cyineedsn wrote:
    razput1n wrote:

This is funny because would screw up coordinated hops, as you would have the entire slice to queue at all times so the chances to queue a specific target would be slim.

Would need way more skips to find good pointers but they would be there always so not too bad in the end.
    having almost hit 1300 in each of the last 2 events with 3*s teams, playing 'above your head' like you can do now, would become nearly non-existent. once you play beyond your roster strength you'll just continually be hit and will have no chance at breaking shield and hopping, regardless of winning a match or not. awards will then get segregated by roster strength because that is where everyone will end up. best rosters get best rewards. its somewhat like that now, but if you're willing to hop (spend hp), you can play well above your roster strength if you do it right. I prefer at least having a shot at 1300 now. with the other system I don't think I would have a chance at the 1300-equivalent (would probably be higher).
  • The chances of every individual player being hit would be smaller as the target pool would be bigger at all point ranges.
  • Afrocigar wrote:
    Today was just rough. I'm 27pts away from 1000pts in PVP, leave the match and I'm down -127pts! What gives?

As a free player using a 3* roster I think I'm probably in your boat, and this has happened to me lots of times. I'm surely no master, but here's some advice from my experience:

I've found that if you can get to 900+ and *haven't been hit much* yet, keep pushing. But if you've been hit at all, then stop when you're at that "just one battle to 1000" point. A 3-hour shield costs only 75 HP, and that's not unreasonable for the free player. (If you're strong enough to be aiming for 1000 then you oughta be able to get a few HP from normal events.)

Yes, maybe you could've just gotten to 1000 straight, but if people are already queuing you up then odds are it'll keep happening. And the higher you go, the more juicy a target you become as you're worth more points. Trust me, the 75 HP is a small price to pay to save the heartache you described in your op.

Hang out for two hours, or so, to let the retaliators get you out of their queue, or you're likely to get hit inadvertently on that last push. Then when you're ready to give it your last try, find a good target that you've got a real shot to win at. (You don't have time to lose a battle and try again, as you saw.) This is the time to break out those special boosts too, the stockpile-all and all-match power boosts because you want to win this fight as fast as you can before someone searching for a battle finds you unshielded.

And good luck. Remember that us free folks just can't win em all. icon_e_smile.gif
  • I have a decent roster and I sometimes shield around 960ish just to make sure I hit 1000. It sucks, because sometimes no hits come in and I feel like I wasted a shield... but each 4* (assuming you need it) is 2500hp, so dropping 75 hp to get something worth 2500 seems worth it to me (especially with 4* ddq, need all dem 4* covers!)
  • barrok wrote:
    I have a decent roster and I sometimes shield around 960ish just to make sure I hit 1000. It sucks, because sometimes no hits come in and I feel like I wasted a shield... but each 4* (assuming you need it) is 2500hp, so dropping 75 hp to get something worth 2500 seems worth it to me (especially with 4* ddq, need all dem 4* covers!)
    Today I shielded at 988 after recovering from a couple hits and thought it was a good idea to wait and break at the end. 10 minutes after and no hits, plenty of time for a fight. Then 20mins after I # up one single bounce.

Broke shield with 4mins to end, got my cover and no hits. Wew.
  • LXSandman
    LXSandman Posts: 196 Tile Toppler
    I think there is an easy solution to this problem.

1. Make it so that when you start a match you automatically get a 10 minute shield
    2. Allow people to queue up players who are shielded
    3. Make it so that the points shown when you start the match are the points given
    4. Re-**** the scores to required for the progression rewards

My understanding of why shields were added to the game was not as a means to "hop" to a better score, but rather as a way for players to take a break. Adding in a shield when you start a match means that you can't lose points while in that match or while queuing for the next one. This means that if you are constantly playing then you wont get hit.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    LXSandman wrote:

1. Make it so that when you start a match you automatically get a 10 minute shield
    This is a much less abusable idea than the frequent "shielded for as long as the match takes" request that would be so obviously easy to exploit by pausing a match for a free shield.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2015
    DayvBang wrote:
    LXSandman wrote:

This is a much less abusable idea than the frequent "shielded for as long as the match takes" request that would be so obviously easy to exploit by pausing a match for a free shield.
    But doesn't that mean as long as you start a match within 10 minutes of the last one, you would never be vulnerable? PvP would turn into something resembling those dance marathon from the 50s. Whoever can stay awake for 48 hours, wins.

sleep1.jpg
  • Pinko_McFly
    Pinko_McFly Posts: 282 Mover and Shaker
    DayvBang wrote:
    LXSandman wrote:

The problem would be that once you throw up your first shield, you can remain shielded for the rest of the event by jumping into new matches every time u finish.
    Adding your points in that match before applying a deduction could alleviate some of this pain. It would need to be coupled with a more accurate estimate of the points you would earn for a match
  • Good luck playing a match every 10 minutes all day long.

Also, 5mins seems good enough.
  • WelcomeDeath
    WelcomeDeath Posts: 349 Mover and Shaker
    Why not just 10 mins shield after breaking shield (or 5, whatever is better) to get just one match in? I agree it is frustrating, though, to queue up a match for 35 pts and get 10 after you've JUST refreshed the node. I understand it adjusting after hours, but it almost seems too quick (not sure what the solution to this is). Finally, does anyone else remember false point rewards like this happening far less before the point adjustments were made 3 (4?) seasons ago?
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Why not just 10 mins shield after breaking shield (or 5, whatever is better) to get just one match in? I agree it is frustrating, though, to queue up a match for 35 pts and get 10 after you've JUST refreshed the node. I understand it adjusting after hours, but it almost seems too quick (not sure what the solution to this is). Finally, does anyone else remember false point rewards like this happening far less before the point adjustments were made 3 (4?) seasons ago?
    Well, they were happening since forever, but since the base point reward level have been increased recently, the effect of your target losing points is more obvious. However, due to the shield cooldown introduction, it's possible that more people are not shielding once they hit a high progression reward due to running out of shields or not wanting to buy expensive shields, so they could drop a lot of points.

Take into account though that the overall point that can be earned has increased, and they have actually reduced the progression reward levels, so it's actually become much easier. Remember that a few seasons ago, we were only earning a 3-star cover at 1000 points and had to get all the way to 1300 points for a 4-star cover, and the base point gain for hitting someone with your same score was 25, rather than the current 38.
  • Kevin61
    Kevin61 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    san-mpq wrote:
    While I certainly empathize with you here, and have had it happen a number of times, this is the reality of the MPQ PvP. Sometimes you can make 1000 easily, and other times not so much. Don't despair, and instead, create a stronger roster that is less likely to be hit. Last night I wasn't hit even once because of the roster I fielded, and went to 1000 all in one go. It's doable, for sure, but it has taken time to create my roster, which includes 18 maxed 3*s and a number of fairly strong characters at high enough levels to deter retals.

San,

Would you be so kind as to reveal the roster you were using? I have several maxed 3*'s as well and have never been able to hit the 1000 mark. For Red Shift and Identity Theft I have been fielding a maxed Iron Fist and Cyclops with the required character. The purple feeds IF and IF's purple feeds Cykes black. Sometimes I would sub Dr. Doom for IF if I came across a team with Daken to starve him from blue. Can't say I haven't been taken down but I was able to take down a Silver Surfer (he only had one red so I just made every red match to keep it from him) Mystique, OBW team.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kevin,

What alliance are you in so we can look at your roster and give advice.

While IF and cyclops certainly are top 3* characters they are not boosted for red shift and identity theft. That makes you an easier target.

Unfortunately if you don't have the boosted characters then you have no choice to play the characters you have. If and cyclops or if and cage are good partners. However, since if\cyclops not boosted you have to use AP boosts and do only a single match when above 900. You also may want to only go for 1k in events where you have the boosted 3*s. 800 to high 900 is a darn good score if you don't have the boosted 3*s available.