The 3 Star Balance Project: The Forum Poll *ENDED*

13»

Comments

• IM 40 is just bad. His yellow get's worse with every additional cover.

I don't think there is a single character whose ability gets worth with more investment other than this pitiful character.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wonder if it is the lack of an offensive ability on this version of Spidey combined with this being his highest star version that has produced so many votes over a character that is borderline broken, but has functional 4* and 1* versions as well.
  • Crowl wrote:
    I wonder if it is the lack of an offensive ability on this version of Spidey combined with this being his highest star version that has produced so many votes over a character that is borderline broken, but has functional 4* and 1* versions as well.

I'm willing to bet that you're right, but I also think a good portion of the voters probably looked at who they have the most covers for, and picked that one. Spidey was great at one point (from what I've read), and IM40's abilities actually dissuade people from covering him, so people probably have more covers for spiderman.

Threads like this give people a shred of hope for balancing, so they're more likely to pick the character they have best covered. It also might be because, if balanced, spidey's abilities are more fun than IM40s in their current state. This assumes the abilities themselves aren't changed as part of the balancing.
  • Jam_Adams
    Jam_Adams Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    deiXide wrote:
    Crowl wrote:
    Threads like this give people a shred of hope for balancing, so they're more likely to pick the character they have best covered. It also might be because, if balanced, spidey's abilities are more fun than IM40s in their current state. This assumes the abilities themselves aren't changed as part of the balancing.
    you aren't giving the community enough credit.

I have 4 of the 5 characters on this ballot. when I thought about casting my vote, I was wondering which of those 4 I should vote for (for obviously selfish reasons). I would love for one of those characters in my roster to get better via buff/balance.

but then, I cast my vote based on the reason that I didn't have that 5th character on my roster: IM40 just. plain. sucks.

I like Psylocke, Hulk, and Spid3y (I would love for them to be better, sure, but they are far from bad or broken). QS is OK, but I just don't have him covered well enough yet, plus he brings a unique dynamic that most other characters don't have. However, I just can't bring myself to even waste a roster spot on IM40 given how costly his abilities are. it's just absurd that you lose as much AP as you do with his red and blue abilities. sure, yellow was designed to make up for that, but it's also an AP hog.
  • The single most common complaint I keep hearing about Spidey is a solid belief his yellow should not be a heal and should be an attack instead. The introduction of 1 star spider-man just made it more apparent as players toyed with him and realized he was enjoyable.

I think Iron Man is more in need of the fix, but I think the Spider-Man fix would be more well received and possibly more lucrative, because, let's be honest, MCU attempts aside, Spider-Man is still the flagship marvel character and most Marvel fans are going to also be fans of him.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Jumping in at the last minute to give IM40 a vote. As sad as it is that Spidey is so weak, there were nodes in the last gauntlet where protect tiles plus stun were the only way I got through them. I wouldn't use IM40 under any circumstance, except when he's essential.
  • The way you phrased the question made it really dificult for me to answer. I WANT a spidey buff above all, but IM40 NEEDS the buff more then anyone. Im sure others feel similar... So yeah, voted for IM40
  • And so the vote ends.

Spider-Man edged out Iron-Man slightly in the final result as seen above, this is a reversal of the written poll with more candidates, which Iron Man won by a handful over Spidey. Between the two, there was no real doubt it would be one of those two to win it. Even in the written poll, Psylocke, Hulk, and Quicksilver were far behind these two characters.

Thanks for all who participated, and feel free to discuss further the results!
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Haetron wrote:
    And so the vote ends.

Spider-Man edged out Iron-Man slightly in the final result as seen above, this is a reversal of the written poll with more candidates, which Iron Man won by a handful over Spidey. Between the two, there was no real doubt it would be one of those two to win it. Even in the written poll, Psylocke, Hulk, and Quicksilver were far behind these two characters.

I am glad you did this as we needed something interesting to do and read on the forums. Hopefully the devs read this and maybe they will surprise us after Anniversary with buffs to both Spidey AND Ironman.
  • I highly suspect any changes of that nature would not happen that quickly unless they were already in the pipeline before the poll was even run, which might be entirely possible.

There's also no promise or guarantee this will result in any changes, we can be hopeful however!
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Haetron wrote:
    And so the vote ends.

I am glad you did this as we needed something interesting to do and read on the forums. Hopefully the devs read this and maybe they will surprise us after Anniversary with buffs to both Spidey AND Ironman.

Or they will add 4* Iron Spider.
  • Malcrof wrote:
    Haetron wrote:
    And so the vote ends.

Don't even play with my heart like that.
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    Haetron wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    Haetron wrote:
    And so the vote ends.

Don't even play with my heart like that.

Certainly could be a Civil War tie-in. icon_e_geek.gif
  • Im pretty sure if we get a civil war tie in spider-man, it will be MCU civil war, not comic book version.

I still think 4* Spidey should be superior anyway, and count as both Spidey and Doc Ock, just to be a nuisance. icon_e_biggrin.gif

2* Spidey can be Iron Spider, and 5*Spidey can be symbiote. XD
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    Didn't see this before it expired, but I do have a couple comments. Spiderman... I need to play him more. I almost never do, though he does seem like he has some uses.

IM40? I got a third yellow cover for him in DDQ the other day, and I sold it. Why? Because I only use him to speed up Lazy-Cap (he is awesome for that, though, with only two covers). I will also mention that he won me a Gauntlet match I thought I'd lost, when Bullseye downed LCap. Loki shuffled the board three times to cut down on the attack tiles (only had two black covers) and take out the Ultron bot (Capt had already taken out Blade). A Daredevil stun baton kept Bullseye from attacking too much, while Loki plinked away at him (with less than 20hp) and IM40 recharged twice. Finally, I had enough AP to hit Bullseye with red and blue both, which were enough to take him out. Loki somehow survived, despite being so hurt, and despite IM40 stunning himself twice in there.

Having said all that, IM40 needs by far the most help.

Psylocke isn't bad, although her blue is pretty weak. Goes well with Kamala Khan, as her cheap powers keep everyone healing. Ok, her blue is worse than that. When playing them, I save the blue for when I need a heal.

Hulk isn't terrible either; in fact, he can be pretty scary, paired with a strong green partner.

Quicksilver? I don't know. I've only really played him in Blue Shift, where I found him intriguing. The scaling on his black is pretty lame; I liked the idea mentioned earlier to have him be able to shift special tiles when he has more covers. His blue is... interesting and annoying, but I can see where it could be very good. His green? Whole lotta "meh" going on there.
  • This threads now in the suggestion forum, but we can still discuss stuff!

Still feel like Iron Man needs tweaks before Spidey, but he just slightly lost out on the popularity angle.

Wonder if people still feel the same about Hulk with his surge in usefulness in the Galactus event?