Please no talk of Surfing Nerfing.

snlf25
snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
edited September 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I know there are some who believe the Skyrider will destroy this game. In this short term, if a large enough percentage of players whale up or get lucky that will certainly be the case. PvP will be like the first day in prison for a crooked accountant. Ah Andy, it was the longest night of his life....

Painful, scary and literally being passed around like currency until there is nothing left but the crying.

But nerfing is not the answer. If you recall the Great Butthurting that accompanied the spaying and neutering of Thoress and X-force you know where I'm going. Imagine the venom and bile and hate and torches and pitchforks and death threats and insults to ancestry that would come with nerfing characters that people spend between $16 and $20 THOUSAND dollars building! THAT could destroy the game, you do not want to piss off the customers who drop that kind of cash because they literally are the ones who keep this game afloat!

My proposal? Another level increase for tier two - four characters. Move 4* to level 350, and 3* to 300 and two stars to 200 or whatever seems reasonable and prevents them from being demoted en masse to Hot Garbage Irrelevancy. It fixes the God Mode problem and I would suggest doing it now before several people have dropped the cash to whale him up so that they can make an informed decision about what they want to do and so the devs don't look so shifty and crooked as they did back during the Great Butthurting.

Thanks! icon_lol.gif

Comments

• Bishop
    Bishop Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
    Not really because if this game goes bye bye another will take its place. Then you'll need to keep that one afloat too.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    So we should leave a potentially OP character as OP because some people might get grumpy? =(

Er, no. The demo node that showed off his capability wasn't even subtle. It's not like someone found an infinite win loop in abilities or like there's a glitch whereby if you double click a tile it does 4x damage. The character is immensely powerful and will utterly, utterly dominate the PvP. Literally all you need is a handful of covers for him and you're done. Forget about being attacked and if someone does happen to beat you and gain a bunch of points it'll be rare enough that you've stomped on 3 people while they did it. And they probably came out worse.

Maxed out silver surfer? You've basically broken the game for yourself. I cannot imagine this PvE being any kind of challenge for me if I had that silver surfer in my roster. I could grind every node completely to 1 and it would probably only take me half the time to do it.
  • Surf, Nerf...

I'll leave things @ that

easy...

marc
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    Devs spoke about the nerf the very moment they announced the release. Either by buffing everyone else or by reducing the surfer's might, it's going to happen. It's only a question of when.
  • Omega Red wrote:
    Devs spoke about the nerf the very moment they announced the release. Either by buffing everyone else or by reducing the surfer's might, it's going to happen. It's only a question of when.

Pretty sure soon after the whales have migrated... icon_e_wink.gificon_lol.gif

DBC
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Why does anything think buffing 75 characters is preferable to nerfing one? If they both are intended to end up at the same place, why choose the path that is 75x more difficult, and 75x more prone to error?
  • donietsche
    donietsche Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    The more I think about it, the more I believe that the idea of 5* was - and is - ok (maybe without the possibility to whale them by buying incredible amounts of packs), but it could have been executed differently. The current status of 5* can only imply a future nerf for them, be it direct or indirect (in the form of a general buff for the 4* tier).

Instead of having completely out of this word characters (health-wise and power-wise), they could have introduced characters with "normal" or slightly above average health (ofc, if compared to the 4* tier), but with additional or special skills.

For instance, they could have designed a character with 4 skills (covering 4 different color) and/or unique skills: think about a resurrect skill - unavailable to the 4* tier - that allows the character to bring back to life a downed partner.
  • The whole idea of legendary tokens and drop rates is flawed. A reward should be just what it is... a reward.

There is no satisfaction in pulling IW or XF or whatever 4* cover you dont need.

Season node features Silver surfer. Season alliance reward is a legendary token. Yay! At least the Fury covers kept us going for 3 seasons. I think that system worked pretty well no idea why it was ditched.
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    let's not call it a nerf but a proper spec.

as pointed out many times before, the difference from 1* to 2*, 2* to 3* and 3* to 4* have a certain ^n value. icon_silversurfer.png completely throws it off and it needs to be brought back to where it should be. simple arithmetic is all we're asking for.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nerf isn't a debate. It will going to happen sooner or later.
  • brisashi
    brisashi Posts: 418 Mover and Shaker
    Nerfs are never fun. Better to just buff everyone else so that every character feels useful.

I would rather they just increased the overall effectiveness of characters below 5* so that there isn't as wide of a gap in power but they are still a challenge.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    brisashi wrote:
    Nerfs are never fun. Better to just buff everyone else so that every character feels useful.

I would rather they just increased the overall effectiveness of characters below 5* so that there isn't as wide of a gap in power but they are still a challenge.
    problem is, the gap is so large, every character in the game would need adjusting to make up for how big the gap currently is. that doesn't sound very reasonable when its currently just one outlier that's causing the issue (probably soon to be 2 and possibly 3 characters).
  • simonsez wrote:
    Why does anything think buffing 75 characters is preferable to nerfing one? If they both are intended to end up at the same place, why choose the path that is 75x more difficult, and 75x more prone to error?

Because Silver Surfer isn't the only 5 star, and another will be coming shortly.

I highly suspect a level cap increase might happen for 4 stars, and maybe even 3 stars, because it lets people grow their characters more and helps cause more iso demand. More iso demand leads to either more iso purchases, or more playing to earn iso, which leads to better player engagement.

Purely theory crafting on my part, however. There's chances no such thing would occur.
  • Having actually climbed with surfer by no means is he invincible. His abilities are reasonably costed. His match damage is perhaps excessive however by the time we have a world of 5*s I am guessing match making will change.

So you guys won't even see that category to complain you get hit by them. Your ultimately complaining about something which is yet to happen and basing your judgement of surfer off a trial mode. He needs about 8 covers to really kick into gear which will either take serious time or money.

I am kind of tired of the moaning and repeated threads of of doom. Many of you just expect to compete from day 1. Play the game and worry less d3 will keep you protected like they did when you moaned your rubbish 2*s got hit by 3* teams.
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    So this thread about not discussing a SS nerf.....has become a discussion about a SS nerf.

MPQ forum gonna MPQ forum icon_lol.gif
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Haetron wrote:
    simonsez wrote:

Because Silver Surfer isn't the only 5 star, and another will be coming shortly.
    You say "because", and then add some words, and yet nothing you said qualifies as a logical explanation. My same point would hold if there were two 5*s, three 5*s, or four dozen 5*s.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    So we should leave a potentially OP character as OP because some people might get grumpy? =(

Er, no. The demo node that showed off his capability wasn't even subtle. It's not like someone found an infinite win loop in abilities or like there's a glitch whereby if you double click a tile it does 4x damage. The character is immensely powerful and will utterly, utterly dominate the PvP. Literally all you need is a handful of covers for him and you're done. Forget about being attacked and if someone does happen to beat you and gain a bunch of points it'll be rare enough that you've stomped on 3 people while they did it. And they probably came out worse.

Maxed out silver surfer? You've basically broken the game for yourself. I cannot imagine this PvE being any kind of challenge for me if I had that silver surfer in my roster. I could grind every node completely to 1 and it would probably only take me half the time to do it.
    Let's put it this way: I played the SS node again this morning, for kicks.

I came out of it at 100% health.

Just let that sink in. I demolished 3 4* max-cover level 270 opponents, two of whom are considered amongst the strongest characters in the game, and left that match with not one point of damage.

He's infinite win, and infinite play. "Broken by design" doesn't even begin to describe this character.

"Oh but they'll buff the 4* characters" - to what? Say I. You can't buff every character in this game to God mode.

"Oh but there are more 5* coming" - so what? Say I. One God, two Gods, whatever. It still represents a complete destruction of what little competitive balance was in this game.

It is what it is, I guess, but I think my wallet is permanently closed to D3 now. It's clear that they no longer believe the modest contributions of 3* players are worth pursuing, and are betting the future of the game on the mega-whales whaling out the 5* tier and subsequently curb-stomping everyone else. That's not a gaming model to which I will be contributing my hard-earned dollars.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    The power gap is too wide. So, here's my idea:

1. Make Surfer a 6 star. He can down three maxed 4*s. Hold off on making many more of these. Maybe just one for variety in the next few months.

2. Churn out some 5 stars that can beat a single 4*, but perhaps not down the whole team while taking minimal damage.

3. Make 3*s as easy to attain as 2*s are now from progression/placement.

4. Make 4*s as easy to attain as 3*s.

5. Introduce the missing token tier, guaranteed 3*, good chance at 4*, low chance at 5*.

6. Make legendary tokens the same, but for 4*-6*.

Power gaps are fine, as long as there's a way to get yourself to the other side without spending enough money that you could use to buy a car or put a down payment on a house.
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    beemand2g wrote:
    Having actually climbed with surfer by no means is he invincible. His abilities are reasonably costed. His match damage is perhaps excessive however by the time we have a world of 5*s I am guessing match making will change.

The trial node with a maxed Surfer says you're wrong (unless you think losing 1 in 100 fights is reasonable)
    The only loss i've seen in that node so far was on a 70+ ap cascade by the ai. Also, this was Norrin Radd alone vs 3 of the strongest 4stars in the game. You'll have 2 characters to help him in normal battles.

Imho the developers were greedy to make him buyable at all or stupid to expect nobody would do it.
    Surfer doesn't come close to surgical strike nerf at all though because he is a lot stronger than Xforce Wolvie used to be. If you're crazy enough to buy him i guess they'll have to find a way to recompensate your expenses but in no way you should expect that he'll stay unchanged
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Xenoberyll wrote:
    beemand2g wrote:
    Having actually climbed with surfer by no means is he invincible. His abilities are reasonably costed. His match damage is perhaps excessive however by the time we have a world of 5*s I am guessing match making will change.

The trial node with a maxed Surfer says you're wrong (unless you think losing 1 in 100 fights is reasonable)
    The only loss i've seen in that node so far was on a 70+ ap cascade by the ai. Also, this was Norrin Radd alone vs 3 of the strongest 4stars in the game. You'll have 2 characters to help him in normal battles.

Imho the developers were greedy to make him buyable at all or stupid to expect nobody would do it.
    Surfer doesn't come close to surgical strike nerf at all though because he is a lot stronger than Xforce Wolvie used to be. If you're crazy enough to buy him i guess they'll have to find a way to recompensate your expenses but in no way you should expect that he'll stay unchanged
    beemand2g - not sure how many covers your SS is, but if its only 3-4 covers, I could see it being strong, but not invincible. once you get him covered and leveled, for now, its pretty much auto-win from the looks of the trial node.