So........PvE is officially impossible, now?

TLCstormz
TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
edited September 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I mean, for those who do not have all 270s or 166s or unlimited resources to buy health packs or are not unemployed or not in school or not independently wealthy?

I have none of those things.
I am none of those things.
Yet, I have placed Top 150 for every single PvE I have ever been in, in my 300 days of playing.

I do the insane grinding, I do the refreshes, I do the alarm clocks in the middle of the night..........yet.........I did not ever crack Top 300 for The Hulk.

What exactly is going to be necessary to be Top 150, from now on? I could honestly care less about the ridiculous Legendary Token. But if it's going to be impossible to even get the freaking COVER from placement in PvEs from now on, because everyone else is aiming for the token, what the heck is the point?

:+(

Comments

• GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've kept saying that the legendary would effect placement scores, but as usual no one really cares unless it involves 4 stars.

You just have to grind optimally if you want your 3 stars(every node once every 8 hours, then before the sub is over completing the nodes again, and repeating the higher value ones til the next sub starts), and hope you have some extra HP because by events end you will have a new 4 star or potential 5 star on your hands if you want top 10 rewards.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    TLCstormz wrote:
    I mean, for those who do not have all 270s or 166s or unlimited resources to buy health packs or are not unemployed or not in school or not independently wealthy?

Yet, I have placed Top 150 for every single PvE I have ever been in, in my 300 days of playing.

I do the insane grinding, I do the refreshes, I do the alarm clocks in the middle of the night..........yet.........I did not ever crack Top 300 for The Hulk.

What exactly is going to be necessary to be Top 150, from now on? I could honestly care less about the ridiculous Legendary Token. But if it's going to be impossible to even get the freaking COVER from placement in PvEs from now on, because everyone else is aiming for the token, what the heck is the point?

i finished 3rd. didn't do anything out of the ordinary. maybe try a different time slice?
  • TLCstormz wrote:

I do the insane grinding, I do the refreshes, I do the alarm clocks in the middle of the night..........yet.........I did not ever crack Top 300 for The Hulk

Sorry. I have no one above 140. What is your final score on hulk? Something does not compute....optimal grind and not even #300.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    TLCstormz wrote:

I don't normally do this but I'm going to call you out as a liar.

I joined Shard 4 of The Hulk midway through the first shard. I did approximately 5 clears per sub (1 as soon as new sub opened, one about 10 hours later after waking up, one about 7 hours after that and another finally 1.5-2 clears in the last hour of the sub).

By the time I'm done most required nodes and high point nodes were around 300 points each remaining. This is FAR from optimal play and yet I finished with a score of 104,918 points in 15th place. Note: I also got my legendary token during my first clear of the final sub)

If you are really doing what you claim you should be decimating my score. Which means you're either lying, leaving out important information or you've somehow found the most absurdly hardcore pve shards out there.

PvE difficulty is determined by PERSONAL scaling. Meaning you don't need crazy 4* rosters to get the points. You'll find the hard nodes tough and so will top tier players.

Tips:
    - Don't overclear nodes. Let them refresh to as close to 8 hours as reasonably possible. Even letting them sit idle for 10 or 12 hours while you deal with real life is fine. You'll still easily make top 100. If you're doing as much work as you claim and still can't even make progression it must mean you're grinding nodes down to 1 almost as soon as the sub opens. This will kill your points, waste your resources and time.

- You can start your final grind down anytime withing the last 8 hours of the sub. The later you wait the better but there won't be a lot of points to lose. Again, you clearly aren't pushing for top 2 so optimal play doesn't matter. You won't even need to clear down nodes to sub 100 points each.

- Check the forums or use Line to see when your sub opens fresh. If you can't use these resources than pre-join the event and do first clear the instant it opens. Maybe you're playing optimally after a couple subs have ended???? That would explain your bad placement given the effort.
  • VazzVegas
    VazzVegas Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    I've been playing less than 50 days and only spent a little money on roster slots, which did nothing to help improve my best characters, but I'm about ready to finish in the top 150 overall for the Hulk event without much extra grinding. Because of my limited roster, I have had to do a lot of late grinding in order to try and get the legendary token but it's not going to be the end of the world if I don't get it since it'll probably give me something stupid. I wouldn't have had to grind so much if I had the buffed characters (CStorm & Blade) from the beginning but I had to win them by progressing in the event.

Anyways, my play style has been to do the DDQ as much as possible to get tokens every day so you can start you're day off improving right away and then do the PvE nodes for the day (which I had already done once or twice before bed the night before right when the event started). Then i'll go to work or do something else while they refill and then do the nodes again. And then ill wait and do them again right before the end. It seems like it's a tried and true PvE strategy everyone uses. The only tip I've picked up is saving even more time for grinding right before the end because why not.

I don't know anything about scaling, but that's the only thing that I can think of that may be affecting your success. Maybe concentrate on maxing out the covers on your characters before leveling them up with ISO.
  • i joined slice 5 3 days into the event. The bracket i joined was a sub ahead and i was sitting on #850. I did the refreshes but did not grind fully towards the end of each sub. Did not have enough time due to work and the nodes probably still had minimum 200pts available each.

I'm now sitting on #5 with under 2hrs left. Not sure if you joined a hell bracket that you're not even in top 300?
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    I'm not sure where you're coming from either, sorry. I joined my slice just before Sub 1 ended, and I've done 4 suboptimal clears per sub, with some very half-hearted end of sub grinding (which mostly involved me grinding the trivial nodes with a fast attack team, because I could do other stuff and not pay attention while IF's attack tile killed everyone). I hit the 70K progression at the end of the second last sub, and pretty much stopped playing at that point, apart from a single clear of the final sub because I'm a completionist. I'm on 78K, and in 20th, with 2 hours remaining, and probably will end up T30, since I'm not playing the event anymore.

If I'm chasing the Legendary Token, and I'm not interested in the progression covers, I'm going to stop playing when I get it. Scores don't seem particularly inflated in my bracket either.
  • rdvargas1
    rdvargas1 Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Didn't somebody recently create the whiners thread. The game is nowhere near impossible. Do better next time.
  • TLCstormz wrote:

What was your final score mate, just out of curiosity?

As a comparison, I finished with 71k points, and ranked 31st
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    TLCstormz wrote:

I agree with everyone else that something in this picture doesn't add up. I did 3-4 clears per sub for the first 6 days of the event. I unlocked my legendary token on on the main page node that unlocked sub 7. I then completed two essential nodes 3 times each during the final sub (just to get a heroic token in the final sub). I finished 90th.

This experience is hardly unusual. doing 3 optimal clears per node (i.e. waiting for the full 8 hour refresh) is generally enough to make top 100. It should definitely have been enough in this event, which didn't have 4* rewards and in which almost everyone stopped grinding at 70k points.

So OP, what is different about your play schedule and mine (or babinro's) that might explain this difference? Do you not have all 3 essentials? Do you not clear optimally?
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Luck in the bracket timing makes a big difference. Sometimes you just get a bracket with people grinding down to nothing, sometimes you get a lazy bracket. I have been ranked 130 with 25k more points than an alliance mate ranked 15 in his bracket. Just part of the game.
  • rdevil32
    rdevil32 Posts: 36 Just Dropped In
    No doubt bracket timing makes a difference, but not cracking top 300 would mean an tinykitty insane bracket

I finished 151 with 78k points (reached my 70k ~1day earlier), proli under a slightly higher than average bracket, but to finish top 300 should still be fairly achievable.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just ask someone for help in picking brackets
    1- join later
    2- play nodes once every 8 hours no more no less. for ideal, when the last 1-2 hours are left, hit the high value nodes until they are worth little. (essentials, higher value)
    3- Don't grind more if you missed one, or panic, just try to keep as close to schedule as you can

1 is most important, a thing you can do to help you, is to do really poorly in an event, like do maybe 1 clear then just leave it alone.

Next event you'll be with people who don't grind hard. (at least in my experience thats how its worked)
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    TLCstormz wrote:

What do you think has changed? The legendary token? If so, all you need to do is score a couple nodes beyond the legendary token threshold and you're in the clear.

If you're not scoring beyond that, and it's not getting you top 150, it's because at least 150 people are trying harder than you, and that sounds like a you problem.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I also experienced this. I can usually score top 50 in each sub, but this time I had to work harder than usual for top 100. So I decided to not bother.
    I blame joining immediately though, I'll wait a little longer before joining Meet Rocket and Groot.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2015
    TLCstormz wrote:

Why do any of those things matter?

If you honestly did this:

Then you would have gotten the points. The level of your character or your health packs wouldn't matter.

What is necessary is to grind correctly. You obviously don't.

If you did all your grinding and were in a freakishly unlucky bracket you would at least have picked up the legendary and the 3* progression covers.

Plus someone ended up #1 in your bracket. I'm not sure how that is 'officially impossible', Indeed 300 people did the 'officially impossible' and placed above you. You really need to work out what the words you use mean, because hyperbole isn't a valid argument, it's just a child throwin its toys out of the pram.
  • SnagglePuss
    SnagglePuss Posts: 702 Critical Contributor
    Won't add much apart from pre-joining or joining immediately seems to attract the more hardcore players.
    Join the first fresh bracket after seems to be okay.

If you are really grinding like you indicate you are, the Legenadries should be a walk in the park as well as placement. So something is up. You do not need a 166 roster or infinite health packs. Having a large roster will help by giving you more boosted bodies to throw at nodes though.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    TLCstormz wrote:
    These statements are mutually exclusive.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is a troll, right? Because you can't do refresh/grind and finish that badly.
    Maybe if you miss all essentials and join a stale bracket, but else? No, can't happen.
  • aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2015
    TLCstormz wrote:

Beeeeeeeeeeee ... Eeeessssssssssss icon_lol.gif

Whiners gotta whine. What was your final score?

If you were doing the refreshes and the "insane" grinding, for the duration of the event, then you final score should have been over 120K, and as high as 160K, if your grinds were truly "insane".

I was not in an easy bracket, but no the hardest either (first was at 143K), and 123K took 7th.

My android account came in 677th with a mere 5085 pts. 300th would have been closer to 5K than 123K.

Look, if you can't or won't put in the time to be competitive, that is how it is. But don't whine about not getting a lot for a little. That's ridiculous.

I'm not playing R&G because I don't want to soil my roster with that creepy BobbyGollum. I'm not gonna be on the forum wondering where my free BobbyGollum is icon_lol.gif

PS ... the top 10 in my bracket ... 4 had multiple maxed 3*, and 1, count'em 1 player had any maxed 4*s. 5 players had a 3* rosters but all well below maxed; and 1 player had one of those softcapped lvl 94 rosters.

People who do well in PVE are the most dedicated players in the game. You'll have to out-dedicate them to win.

Top 150 is laughably easy if you play with ny kind of consistency.

The new max progression, 70K, represented ~40% of the possible pts. You can literally halfa— your way to it.
This discussion has been closed.