5*: The Beginning of the End

2»

Comments

• GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't doubt that, mis-handled, the 5* tier can destroy the game. The big question in my mind is "are they mishandling it?"

Bad indications:

On the bad side, the 5*s scale so much, much more powerful than anything else out there. A maxed out 5* can take out a full team of 4*s. At this time they have expressed an intention to mitigate this with boosted 4*s, but that in turn will make the 3*s less powerful.

On the good side, the disemination of 5*s will be slow. I don't think most people realize how hard it will be to max one of these guys out. An average upper-tier player (one with at least 2 or 3 usable 4*s,) should be able to score something to the tune of 3-4 Legendary tokens a week (one or two from 1300 scores, one maybe two from PVE, and maybe the DPDQ one.) Add to that one from hitting 10,000 points (trivial for that level of player,) and one more from the alliance, that's about 15-20 legendary tokens a month. On average, that's two covers (once the second 5* is out.) Two. Someone who is raking in the Legendaries (3 from PVP, 1.5 from PVE, 1.5 from DPDQ,) will average most of one more (26 tokens per month.) That's hardly breakneck speed.

When the 5*s really hit the game we may see a drastically changed meta. At the current rate, though, I don't expect that for many months. Even someone dumping hundreds of dollars into this game will only get one or two more covers. Hopefully the game will adapt - enough people will have good 4*s to give the 5*s a run for their money, or they'll nerf the way the 5*s scale. But until that happens, I wouldn't count the game out.