The Gauntlet is eeeevil.

Eddiemon
Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I thought simulation 37 was as low as you could go. The synergies in that one were truly horrific, but at least I could cheese it with a respectable Iron Fist/X Force/Hood combo.

But then I hit simulation 41 - Deadpool, Iron Fist and Luke Cage at 377 each.

And I was forced to use Hulk, She Hulk and Kamala Khan to beat that. Iron Fist's strength 1078 attack tile setting off Hulk's anger being fed into She Hulk's yodelling ability to set off Kamala's healing ability. While I did 1 damage per round because of Luke's Unbreakable defence tile. (Which taunts me cause I still can't get a fifth cover).

Sure, I prevailed when She Hulk finally managed to steal some strike tiles with settlement (never managed to steal the attack tile for the 'easy' win, kept stealing the defence tile which just broke the combo and allowed the opposition to gather AP and induce mad panic attacks)

I feel so unclean now. Thanks.

Comments

• woopie
    woopie Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    I saw that node, realized I didn't need anymore of the progressions and went on to play other things icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Do you have Cap Marvel at 355? Switch her in for Hulk. Makes everything much easier. Lots of stun and board shake. And I much prefer to have Kamala straightaway pound them into dirt than She-Hulk yowling for the next 10 minutes.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sim 42, i went in with SW/GSBW/PX to try Charlies Angels for the win...

GSBW went down fast.. SW soon to follow... PX was hidden in the corner with a few shield tiles to buff.. they were unable to do any damage at all.. even ultrons AoE could only do 1 damage..

thankfully i had a mutagenic breakthrough team up.

The fight took 25 minutes... yes, 25 minutes! My lvl 145 4/4/2 PX had soloed the trio of lvl 389's.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    woopie wrote:
    I saw that node, realized I didn't need anymore of the progressions and went on to play other things icon_e_biggrin.gif
    And this is the reason I am still in the first gauntlet and have been letting my minions play my LR for me instead icon_lol.gif
  • san
    san Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Eddiemon wrote:
    I thought simulation 37 was as low as you could go. The synergies in that one were truly horrific, but at least I could cheese it with a respectable Iron Fist/X Force/Hood combo.

But then I hit simulation 41 - Deadpool, Iron Fist and Luke Cage at 377 each.

And I was forced to use Hulk, She Hulk and Kamala Khan to beat that. Iron Fist's strength 1078 attack tile setting off Hulk's anger being fed into She Hulk's yodelling ability to set off Kamala's healing ability. While I did 1 damage per round because of Luke's Unbreakable defence tile. (Which taunts me cause I still can't get a fifth cover).

Sure, I prevailed when She Hulk finally managed to steal some strike tiles with settlement (never managed to steal the attack tile for the 'easy' win, kept stealing the defence tile which just broke the combo and allowed the opposition to gather AP and induce mad panic attacks)

I feel so unclean now. Thanks.

I am in the exact same situation as you, with the exact same scaling 377x3. Sim41 (hehe, it's just as bad as Sum41) has been my bane (no DC pun intended). I will try the team you point out. Although my Hulk and SHulk aren't a high level, the steals and heals may do the trick.

So far, combinations that have gotten me close, but not quite there were:

LCap, Hood, SW (all 166 base, plus buffs)
    Under-covered Px (4/1/1, 145) SW, Hulk (5/3/5, 135)

The other combinations simply seem to lose too quickly, as IF's attack tile keeps pounding away.
    Do you have Cap Marvel at 355? Switch her in for Hulk. Makes everything much easier. Lots of stun and board shake. And I much prefer to have Kamala straightaway pound them into dirt than She-Hulk yowling for the next 10 minutes.

tinkykitty, just trying to see the logic here - My CM is 3/5/5 but at level 94. Probably not worth trying with that anyways, but just curious how you played that particular team. Did CM absorb to get red ap and then to pound DP with it for health (from KK), or what did you do? Or is it the fact that it destroys enemy defense tiles?
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    even ultrons AoE could only do 1 damage..

To be fair, Ultron's AoE is surprisingly pathetic.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    san-mpq wrote:
    tinkykitty, just trying to see the logic here - My CM is 3/5/5 but at level 94. Probably not worth trying with that anyways, but just curious how you played that particular team. Did CM absorb to get red ap and then to pound DP with it for health (from KK), or what did you do? Or is it the fact that it destroys enemy defense tiles?

Might be tough at level 94, haha. But it usually works pretty well on overscaled enemies.

Carol with 5 yellow produces red and black ap every turn. Stun Dealpool with her black. SheHulk uses the red for aoe damage and board shake. Kk heals and heals. Often, there are minor cascades with the shaking. More ap for everyone! If you get blue, wait for Carol's black to create a 3rd special tile and you get to steal 2/3. If purple or green, bash away. If Carol's health looks risky, switch to She-Hulk or KK to tank while KK heals them up. If you're lucky you may end with everyone at full (temporary) health with this team.

For my attempt, I won without using any boosts, but starting off with a few ap doesn't hurt if you want to be safer.
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    I'm at the 94-level and IF,LC,XDP are 212. **Daken and **Wolverine are buffed to level 150 and I've been using Shulk 3/3/2. I've wiped to that node a dozen times or so. Once I got extremely close when I managed to Settle two Attack tiles relatively early on. In the end it was down to a single round more and I would've won but Shulkie went down to Ironfist. So close.

It has seriously been a really rough gauntlet - mostly I've been going at it with that team but Loki instead of Shulk but Loki can't steal Attack tiles. If only I had my Moonstone stilll...
  • san
    Might be tough at level 94, haha. But it usually works pretty well on overscaled enemies.

Carol with 5 yellow produces red and black ap every turn. Stun Dealpool with her black. SheHulk uses the red for aoe damage and board shake. Kk heals and heals. Often, there are minor cascades with the shaking. More ap for everyone! If you get blue, wait for Carol's black to create a 3rd special tile and you get to steal 2/3. If purple or green, bash away. If Carol's health looks risky, switch to She-Hulk or KK to tank while KK heals them up. If you're lucky you may end with everyone at full (temporary) health with this team.

For my attempt, I won without using any boosts, but starting off with a few ap doesn't hurt if you want to be safer.

Thanks for the explanation.

I didn't end up trying this combination this time, but will in the future when I get Carol a bit more ISO. I did end up beating the node with SHulk at 82 level and Hulk at 135 with a fully leveled 5/3/5 Kamala after a couple of tries. The constant yelling from SHulk was kind of funny. This was the first time I used her - used to sell her covers in the past icon_razz.gif. After I got through DP, the other two were no problem because I began stealing their tiles icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    woopie wrote:
    I wiped twice on Sim 39 and decided to go do enough essentials to earn the Scarlet Witch cover so I have the option of giving up on it. May still try it again later.
  • san
    Remind me what 39 was again, Davy.
  • For me, the first essential off 41 was the worst. Fist-buster/Hood, and you have to use Quicksilver?!? This is fair?
  • Captain America, the hood and I used Doc Ock. Keep giving me something to match. Insult to injury really adds up.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nice to see some progress in the community. Threads like this used to be populated with angry people claiming that hard nodes were just another cash grab for health packs; now people post funny comments, advice and there's an overall positive "let's best this absurd challenge". Kudos, everybody.
  • uberhamster
    uberhamster Posts: 96 Match Maker
    Magisse wrote:
    For me, the first essential off 41 was the worst. Fist-buster/Hood, and you have to use Quicksilver?!? This is fair?

That was horrifying. I had to whale, and it took me a day of trying to even manage to get the AP together for it, with hood constantly stealing stuff.
  • SnagglePuss
    SnagglePuss Posts: 702 Critical Contributor
    Magisse wrote:
    For me, the first essential off 41 was the worst. Fist-buster/Hood, and you have to use Quicksilver?!? This is fair?

That was horrifying. I had to whale, and it took me a day of trying to even manage to get the AP together for it, with hood constantly stealing stuff.

Every self respecting players should have some Whale TUs ;p
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Magisse wrote:

I was looking at it, and contemplated a long time on which team to bring.

Settled on QS-SW-GT. And surprisingly managed to clear it on my first try. The board was very good with a free match 5 blue. Eventually managed to kill off hood, and stun lock IF and HB.

so far, my greatest frustration had been with sim 37. Blade generate a lot of strike tiles, which feed into Gunner core meltdown, setting off a lot of critical tiles. And 3* BE was surprisingly the killer, as his Lethal improvisation deals around 7k dmg! Wiped to this node several times, feeling incredibly frustrated.
  • Blinkxi
    Blinkxi Posts: 29 Just Dropped In
    Magisse wrote:

I had the most problem with this too. I almost resorted to whaling but in the end, i beat them using the classic Hulk/Patch combo. Note this was my lvl 166 vs lvl 340. The beauty of it is that all you have to focus on getting is green which negates Hoods stealing.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Magisse wrote:

This is the one I'm on. I'd been saving up whales for ages and I have 6 left...with only the three essentials to go =)

I had 8 purple and a match that would make 6 more to whale...but Deadpool was down to 3200 HP so he was going to die if I did that. Then they got a second lucky cascade that pretty much finished me off. No purple matches left, Overdrive firing off, Hulkbuster punched Scarlet Witch to finish her after QS had already died...

Welp, I'll come back in a few hours and whale it again. I'm just gonna whale the last three, tbh. I felt lucky enough to murder that DP/LC/IF node by myself.
    I used Captain Marvel, Khan and Steve for that. Just throwing shields like mad and every time I did Khan healed up. Lotsa black meant plenty of stuns while I gathered blue. More healing. Captain Marvel got down to about 84HP at one point but I unleashed a torrent of moves and she finished the match with 3000 HP =P
    Just kept everyone stun locked once X-Force was down, and getting 5 reds pretty much every turn kept the damage high.
  • Magisse wrote:

Every self respecting players should have some Whale TUs ;p
    I almost went that route. Started asking my pals for them but figured I'd try once more. Lucked out with a match 5 red and match 4 red on the starting board. Cut *a lot* off the top of Hood and downed him by turn four, finally letting me gather the purples to Whale.