Soo I bought a Stark Salary..

Punisher5784
Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I agree that a $100 is excessive but I haven't spent money on the game in nearly a year so I figured this would be a way to say "Thank you" and perhaps grab the elusive Silver Surfer. Well I am here to tell you that it was the biggest disappointment in my entire MPQ "career" and a complete waste of money.

The 40 pack starts off Purple making you think you just opened Silver Surfer but it's just giving you the new Legendary Token.

My 40 Pulls:
:yellowflag: icon_sentry.png (Not Needed)
purpleflag.pngicon_bullseye.png (Needed)
yellowflag.pngicon_hood.png (Not Needed)
redflag.pngicon_sentry.png (Not Needed)
yellowflag.pngicon_rocket.png (Not Needed)
blueflag.pngicon_rocket.png (Not Needed)
greenflag.pngicon_doctoroctopus.png ("Needed")
redflag.pngicon_wolverine.png (Not Needed)
redflag.pngicon_thor.png (Needed only because I have a duplicate)
purpleflag.pngicon_mystique.png (Not Needed)
blackflag.pngicon_mystique.png (Not Needed)

So 11 Golds out of 40, what happened to the increased odds?! Technically only 1 was truly usable and I opened no 4*'s! After the disappointment of my first 40 pack I eagerly open my shiny Legendary token to open.......
:redflag: icon_starlord.png

Yupp.. that's what I got AND I had to buy a roster slot for him. I have never felt so ripped off in my life, and this is coming from someone who use to purchase tons of Magic booster boxes. Even if I was a whale I would be very angry about this. You would think if a player buys a Stark Salary to get a 40pack, the system would magically give the player their moneys worth but sadly no.

I have no one to blame but myself. I got caught up in the Legendary Token hype.. never again. While I am happy I was able to support MPQ continued success, I wish the results could have been more favorable. With that said, let this be a warning to those who are want to purchase a 40pk but are very hesitate. Unless you want to also show MPQ some thanks, don't risk it.

I wish everyone luck! Surfs Up! icon_silversurfer.png

Edit: My luck turned around with the season end tokens: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=20&t=32396&start=40
icon_e_biggrin.gif

Comments

• DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    So 11 Golds out of 40, what happened to the increased odds?!

You have about 5% better odds than any individual pull, but your odds still amount to about 3/10.

Over 40 pulls, that would be...12 golds. Your results might be mildly unlucky but that discrepancy over that sample size really isn't statistically significant.

Sorry you're disappointed, though.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Out of every 100 people that open a 40 pack hoping for Surfer......

95 do not get one.

Math says he'll still be whaled by the end of the week, though.
  • Punisher5784
    Well ... at least a 40pk doesn't eat up a whole stark, you should have plenty left over to cover operating expenses for a while. Or a couple slots ... Or just buying covers directly. Sorry it didn't pan out, but you knew it was a die roll.

It's tired advice, but if I was up for dropping a stark, it would be for 4* covers, to be more competitive and better able to earn Legendaries next season.

You're right, it would of been smarter to buy 4* covers but I don't have many to do so but yeah at least I have the HP for future slots, I'm up to 900 slot. I knew the risk but I hoped luck would be on my side. I should have known better than to rely on luck. Well you win some, you lose some.
  • Mistake was buying a multi-pack at all. They're an extremely bad investment. Roster slots are the best investment, followed discounted single tokens (the 50 HP variety), followed by shields, followed by direct cover purchases.

Multi-packs really only are a rational purchase at the very start of the game when you need a ton of 2*'s and 3*s. The more complete your roster, the more junk pulls you'll end up with. So unless you like super-whaling, they're beyond a bad investment.
  • Punisher5784
    At least it wasnt icon_invisiblewoman.pngyellowflag.png ...

I would have gladly traded in some of those 3*'s for IW. Mine is at 2/1/0, at least I would be able to level her to MAYBE compete against the upcoming 1v1 4* DDQ.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Permit me to take the contrarian view. I think the OP is missing enough 3/4 star.png covers so that a 40 pack would contain enough useful covers to be worth buying.

Now for someone with my roster, on the other hand, a direct purchase would be better.
  • The 40 pack starts off Purple making you think you just opened Silver Surfer but it's just giving you the new Legendary Token.
    :

I thought this when opening mine also and it was a Kingpin so I was pleasantly surprised at the end to see I had the token left
  • So you had to buy a slot for star-lord? You didn't have him yet? Nice!
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have never felt so ripped off in my life
    You felt ripped off by something that was completely within the realm of statistical likelihood??

Damn, life is going to have some nasty surprises in store for you...
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Punisher,

I am pretty hard on demiurge about the frankly ridiculous pricing of digital goods in this game. That said, I think it's a little unfair for you to be angry with the result of your 40-pack purchase. It sucks that you didn't get what you wanted, despite dropping all that cash.

But even a cursory glance at the probabilities will show that "not getting what you want" is far and away the most likely outcome of any individual purchase or token pull in the game. So you basically got exactly what you paid for, as much as that sucks.

As others in the thread have posted, the most worthwhile investment in the game is the roster slots, probably followed by anniversary tokens (with the daily deal), 3-hour shields and well-timed boost all ap consumables. 40-packs are among the worst return on investment in the game, which is probably why legendary tokens are now included. . .
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Raffoon wrote:

95 do not get one.

I honestly don't think that is going to happen. Keep in mind that you can't buy covers for the Surfer, you have to pull him from the legendary token at a 5% chance at 11,200 HP a pop (a bit over half a Stark Salary, or about $60 American.) In the main thread several people did the math - it's the cost of a decent car (new) or a down payment for a house.

I think what we'll see is 1 or 2 cover Silver Surfers over the next few days, and that number will grow slowly. Call me optimistic, but I don't think we'll see a fully-covered, fully-leveled Surfer for months. When that happens we'll have a serious scaling problem, but I think D3 will fix it sooner or later - probably by nerfing the effect of the levels, but we'll see. I think their intention to make the 5*s more useful at lower levels is going to make them completely overwhelming at higher levels (even against a 4* team,) but again, we'll see.
  • Punisher5784
    simonsez wrote:
    I have never felt so ripped off in my life
    You felt ripped off by something that was completely within the realm of statistical likelihood??

Damn, life is going to have some nasty surprises in store for you...

I was simply venting my frustration at the beginning of the post. I admitted that I was aware of the poor statistical likelihood that I would not pull anything worthwhile. I am also very aware of life's surprises. I'm 31, not 13 but thank you for your insight icon_lol.gif
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Punisher,

I am pretty hard on demiurge about the frankly ridiculous pricing of digital goods in this game. That said, I think it's a little unfair for you to be angry with the result of your 40-pack purchase. It sucks that you didn't get what you wanted, despite dropping all that cash.

But even a cursory glance at the probabilities will show that "not getting what you want" is far and away the most likely outcome of any individual purchase or token pull in the game. So you basically got exactly what you paid for, as much as that sucks.

As others in the thread have posted, the most worthwhile investment in the game is the roster slots, probably followed by anniversary tokens (with the daily deal), 3-hour shields and well-timed boost all ap consumables. 40-packs are among the worst return on investment in the game, which is probably why legendary tokens are now included. . .

As I said, the main reason I bought the Stark Salary was to show some support as I have not purchased anything in over a year. I was moreso disappointed than mad. I know what the worthwhile investment is, I was simply taking a chance on luck. I rarely gamble so I should continue not to take so many risks icon_razz.gif

I'm over it. No more venting or crying. It is what it is. The positive note is now I have HP for roster slots which I likely would have had to buy anyway with the upcoming Legendary tokens in PVE.
  • Marty17
    Marty17 Posts: 503 Critical Contributor
    Funnily enough with my collectors OCD (I like to call it) I'm surprised that I ain't itching to "buy" the new character (in this case, spending on packs). I'm more than happy to earn the Legendary tokens than buying a bulk to obtain one, which is fairly unlike me (in the past if I fail to obtain the new character release, I'll try my luck on those exclusive packs).
  • Punisher5784
    Marty17 wrote:
    Funnily enough with my collectors OCD (I like to call it) I'm surprised that I ain't itching to "buy" the new character (in this case, spending on packs). I'm more than happy to earn the Legendary tokens than buying a bulk to obtain one, which is fairly unlike me (in the past if I fail to obtain the new character release, I'll try my luck on those exclusive packs).

That's exactly why I made this post (besides to vent). Control the player OCD and just earn Legendary tokens the normal way icon_e_smile.gif

I remember when I stopped buying Magic booster boxes.. I have not looked back since and don't regret missing any releases lol
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Marty17 wrote:

That's exactly why I made this post (besides to vent). Control the player OCD and just earn Legendary tokens the normal way icon_e_smile.gif

I remember when I stopped buying Magic booster boxes.. I have not looked back since and don't regret missing any releases lol
    thanks for the PSA. getting really close to making another purchase and while I would've been tempted to splurge on the 40, a few specific covers would be much better.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    GrimSkald wrote:
    Raffoon wrote:

95 do not get one.

I honestly don't think that is going to happen. Keep in mind that you can't buy covers for the Surfer, you have to pull him from the legendary token at a 5% chance at 11,200 HP a pop (a bit over half a Stark Salary, or about $60 American.) In the main thread several people did the math - it's the cost of a decent car (new) or a down payment for a house.

I think what we'll see is 1 or 2 cover Silver Surfers over the next few days, and that number will grow slowly. Call me optimistic, but I don't think we'll see a fully-covered, fully-leveled Surfer for months. When that happens we'll have a serious scaling problem, but I think D3 will fix it sooner or later - probably by nerfing the effect of the levels, but we'll see. I think their intention to make the 5*s more useful at lower levels is going to make them completely overwhelming at higher levels (even against a 4* team,) but again, we'll see.

Well today I have already seen someone with 3 covers of SS. I dont know if he has been very lucky or if he has spent 1000$ for them
  • Polares wrote:
    Well today I have already seen someone with 3 covers of SS. I dont know if he has been very lucky or if he has spent 1000$ for them

Not surprised. There are too many rich kids out there with no concept of rational purchasing.

$60 for a 5% chance? No thanks, ever. I'll work for my free shots and hope to get lucky.

I expect the forums to be full of cries of "Unfair!" once people have to square off against SS in PvP though.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    throvolos wrote:
    Polares wrote:

Not surprised. There are too many rich kids out there with no concept of rational purchasing.

$60 for a 5% chance? No thanks, ever. I'll work for my free shots and hope to get lucky.

I expect the forums to be full of cries of "Unfair!" once people have to square off against SS in PvP though.

that is why i REALLY REALLY HOPE D3 thinks this out and starts making 2 PVPS

one pvp what will have unlimited people you can put into your team
    one pvp what will limit you to only 1 2 and 3 stars

the unlimited would give better rewards maybe double what the other one would give

top 2 get token
    top 10 get 3 covers
    top 50 get 2 covers
    top 150 get 1 cover

thought they should have a few months before the 5 stars really become a major problem
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would rather buy that box of magic card for $100, At least you can flip the cards you open if you don't need it. MPQ only lets you sell them for ISO. There should be a trade mechanism or an auction where MPQ gets a cut of the final price?
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2015
    I actually think that of all people that have ever posted their disgruntlement about poor luck when purchasing 40+ packs, OP has been the most civil, self-aware and understanding. Kudos and better luck next time (i.e. don't try your luck, just buy the covers outright :p)