Will We Ever Get A Patch Focused On Balancing?

13»

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Besides replacing Smash (completely) the most important thing Hulk needs is to have Anger trigger on a set amount of damage (or at least a percentage of his current health rather than total). It doesn't make any sense that the more you level Hulk the less useful Anger is.

I love Hulk and wish he had viable offense too. He was designed to menace 2*s way back when that was the meta, and now in 3.5* land, it shows.

Anger's %age threshold should drop with each additional cover. So in absolute terms it does rise (it's really irritating fighting a weak hulk who angers every turn, imagine is lvl 290s did that...), but in a moderate fashion. Besides, adding Anger covers should make him more testy, eh?

I posted a Hulk makeover way back when. His clap should shatter columns and his smash shake the board. And Anger have a (subtle) true heal component. And the cost of Smash be revisited. Draining 2 colors, geez. Even megawhales doesn't do that ....

Can we not lower the threshold until after the sub you fight a lvl 395 hulk in the Hulk story mode? need IF to pick away at his health without triggering lol.
  • -DareDevil:
    This is a really small tweak but bring Radar Sense down to 9 cost, you can't fool us, this isn't a 10 cost ability. Bullseye funny enough has the better version of this ability with less needed tiles, friendly can be used and does more damage for less cost

I completely disagree with this. This ability does tons of damage AND eliminates opponent special tiles? This is horrible against my Elektra (who, by herself, needs a minimum 14 purpleflag.png to create 3 friendly strike.png tiles). Some characters take a lot of work to get special tiles out (Elektra, etc), others put them out for free (Carnage, Daken, Blade, etc). Against characters that put them out for free, this might be too expensive. Against those that take a great deal of work, this is just right.

Maybe this power has limited usefulness (useless against Thor, for example), but there are plenty of heroes who have abilites that are useful only in specific circumstances.

My son has only three 3* characters, and Daredevil is the one he relies on most to get past all the stupid ninjas.

About Bullseye's ability being more powerful, that's certainly true.
  • Just for observational purposes, I referenced my "age" list, and decided to list in order, the oldest 3 star characters, anyone 200 days plus without noted adjustment in the patch notes.

icon_ironman.png 681 Days
    icon_wolverine.png 592 days
    icon_psylocke.png 571 days
    icon_thor.png 549 days
    icon_captainamerica.png 534 days
    icon_humantorch.png 522 days
    icon_storm.png 495 days
    icon_falcon.png 485 days
    icon_spiderman.png 470 days
    icon_daken.png 361 days
    icon_magneto.png 361 days
    icon_blackpanther.png 346 days
    icon_hood.png 295 days
    icon_sentry.png 295 days
    icon_rocket.png 291 days
    icon_gamora.png 291 days
    icon_daredevil.png 268 days
    icon_cyclops.png 205 days.

Now obviously, out of this batch, there's a lot that people probably feel are just fine. 3Thor, 3Cap, Cyclops, no one seems to complain about.

Personal Opinion: Iron Man needs a touch up. He's pretty universally derided, his abilities are overcosted, he has a counterproductive yellow. He should be the first character up on any balance pass.

I hear lots of complaints about Psylocke next on the list, I think her key problem is her Blue.

Spider-Man: Cue the "JUST PORT HIS 1 STAR UP" comment brigade. I don't think that's a solution, but I think adding some damage to his web heal would likely help a lot.

Sentry: I think most peoples complaints with this guy is the self and team damage. I've found he has his uses, still, I'm not really sure he needs any changes.

Gamora: Another often complained about character I see on the boards. No idea personally, only have her 1/1/1 covered, so can't make any judgement.

There's some more characters more recently adjusted that people state concerns about, obviously, but you've got to thin the list somehow, and I think going by their age since last update is the way to go.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    Is there any point really to touching up any 2* or 3* characters now that we have 5* Surfer? Seems to me the meta game he will cause will make anything but the best of 4* useless immediately and once the next two debut in October and November will they not be the only three in the game who matter? You wont be able to get anywhere in PvP after the first of the year and if you win one and decide to roster it you have to go all in to ever be able to accomplish anything in PvE again or even trivial goon nodes rail through the best 3* roster you have. Why rebalance what are now sub 2* value characters in the grand scheme of things?
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    snlf25 wrote:
    Is there any point really to touching up any 2* or 3* characters now that we have 5* Surfer? Seems to me the meta game he will cause will make anything but the best of 4* useless immediately and once the next two debut in October and November will they not be the only three in the game who matter? You wont be able to get anywhere in PvP after the first of the year and if you win one and decide to roster it you have to go all in to ever be able to accomplish anything in PvE again or even trivial goon nodes rail through the best 3* roster you have. Why rebalance what are now sub 2* value characters in the grand scheme of things?

You should sell all your characters right away. I'll hold on to mine because I'll old school and afraid of change.

Or maybe, I like playing with a variety of characters. Dpdq, pve essential nodes, lr/pvp essential characters aren't going any where. 3*s like cyclops, fist, sw, hood, eyc. work great with 4*s.

Yea, I think I'll be stubborn and hold on to my characters, but everyone else should feel free to sell theirs.

P.S. in all seriousness, I would not sell any characters because imo you'll need them still.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 wrote:

You should sell all your characters right away. I'll hold on to mine because I'll old school and afraid of change.

Or maybe, I like playing with a variety of characters. Dpdq, pve essential nodes, lr/pvp essential characters aren't going any where. 3*s like cyclops, fist, sw, hood, eyc. work great with 4*s.

Yea, I think I'll be stubborn and hold on to my characters, but everyone else should feel free to sell theirs.

P.S. in all seriousness, I would not sell any characters because imo you'll need them still.

My only characters I'd ever sell are 3* Iron Man and Doc Ock. The collecting aspect is my favorite part of the game. This just feels like a big move back to the Sentry/Hood or X-Force/Th4r days but magnified.
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    snlf25 wrote:
    snlf25 wrote:

My only characters I'd ever sell are 3* Iron Man and Doc Ock. The collecting aspect is my favorite part of the game. This just feels like a big move back to the Sentry/Hood or X-Force/Th4r days but magnified.

You already replied before I could edit. Thinking about it, I'm sorry if my post came across to sarcastic. It was meant to be humorous, but the more I thought about, the more I was uncertain how it would come across when read.

It is too early too tell. What is for certain, they nerfed those, there is no reason to expect a different result of they run into the same problem as in the past.
  • snlf25
    Never Fear, I always smell sarcasm when I come across it. I know my own kind. icon_lol.gif
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    throvolos wrote:
    I completely disagree with this. This ability does tons of damage AND eliminates opponent special tiles? This is horrible against my Elektra (who, by herself, needs a minimum 14 purpleflag.png to create 3 friendly strike.png tiles). Some characters take a lot of work to get special tiles out (Elektra, etc), others put them out for free (Carnage, Daken, Blade, etc). Against characters that put them out for free, this might be too expensive. Against those that take a great deal of work, this is just right.

Maybe this power has limited usefulness (useless against Thor, for example), but there are plenty of heroes who have abilites that are useful only in specific circumstances.

My son has only three 3* characters, and Daredevil is the one he relies on most to get past all the stupid ninjas.

About Bullseye's ability being more powerful, that's certainly true.

It is an awful, awful ability. It is TOO situational, and considering how situational it is, actually does lackluster damage. The list of better active purples for around the same cost in 3* land is long. To even max out the damage you have to wait until the enemy has gotten out 5(!?) special tiles, which in many cases could mean you are already toast/taken heavy damage.

And, if your priority was just to have sweet sweet revenge against ninjas, you would be better off bringing doc oct and doing almost 2x the damage per strike tile with his blue (for 1 extra total ap), AND you aren't limited to 5 tiles, AND you get to have board shake, AND its an ability that can actually be used all the time (not that it's very good when there's no special tiles on the board), AND his passive can be sorta useful against those ninja survival waves. In contrast, ninja waves will taunt you as they overwrite daredevils trap tile repeatedly.

That purple is just...bad. And I love daredevil, I wish he was better.

P.S. Why does an ability called RADAR sense not detect and destroy hidden trap tiles?
  • Haetron wrote:
    Just for observational purposes, I referenced my "age" list, and decided to list in order, the oldest 3 star characters, anyone 200 days plus without noted adjustment in the patch notes...

To clarify, this appears to be time since last tweak, right?

Yes. This means some characters that seem they should be older, (Like Punisher) aren't in the cut because they've had adjustments. You could argue things like adjusting Punishers Judgement Strike and Deadpools "Life of the party" trigger aren't enough to justify the age update, but then you have to debate what qualifies and what doesn't.

For the age list, if the change is listed in the patch notes, the age resets. That takes out all debate, for the purposes of the list.

Here's the age list Im referring to, feel free to review.

I still think we need to come to consensus on 3-5 characters that need a balance check, and I know which 5 I would pick, personally, but one of them has been changed recently enough to not even make the above cut I suggested.
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Haetron wrote:

I still think we need to come to consensus on 3-5 characters that need a balance check, and I know which 5 I would pick, personally, but one of them has been changed recently enough to not even make the above cut I suggested.

If I had to pick from my list

1: Iron Man 40
    2: Doc Ock
    3: Ragnarok
    4: Quicksilver
    5: Sentry

I still stand by my suggested changes to doc ock and these picks were based on how close they are to becoming really good characters, the ground work is there for it to be done.
  • With all the hoopla about 4* and 5*, are they REALLY going to be fixing our 3*? I'm probably wrong but there're around 16 to 18 4* and at least double that number of 3*. From the look of things, they'll stop adding 3* altogether and any character balancing that comes will be for 4*. I mean if the Silver Spooner with a couple of covers so much as sneeze in the general direction of someone like Spiderman or Doc Ock, they'll probably drop dead
  • Alright, so far we have Iron Man 40, Psylocke, Spider-Man, Gamora, Doc Ock, Ragnarok, and Quicksilver. Anyone else have any other suggestions? I highly recommend we stick to 3 stars this first time around.
    dathremar wrote:
    With all the hoopla about 4* and 5*, are they REALLY going to be fixing our 3*? I'm probably wrong but there're around 16 to 18 4* and at least double that number of 3*. From the look of things, they'll stop adding 3* altogether and any character balancing that comes will be for 4*. I mean if the Silver Spooner with a couple of covers so much as sneeze in the general direction of someone like Spiderman or Doc Ock, they'll probably drop dead

As Ice said,
    IceIX wrote:
    We will probably never have a patch "focused on balancing". We very likely will do buff/nerf runs as part of normal patches in the future though. As pointed out: Sure, we won't be making much, if any, money off the buffs and nerfs themselves. But that's not why those are done. They're done to create a better gameplay environment for everyone. And a better gameplay environment means more fun and thus more play. It's just good sense.

Add in the fact the majority of the characters are placed in the 3 star tier and most players are probably in the 2-3 star or 3-4 star transition, it makes sense to put some attention at the 3 star level.
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Moved from general discussion. A new discussion related to the topic is being discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32833

Will probably merge the two later, depending on how the other develops.

That is all. For now.