Iso8, the holy grial of the game

Options
Polares
Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Iso8 is clearly too expensive and too difficult to get in this game, I think everybody would agree to this point.

Developers want us players to try different combinations of characters, but if you want to try different characters you have to raise their levels to a place where they are utile, so they need to be at least 70lvl or more, and you need a ton of iso to reach that level (imagine if you want a 3* to reach level 100). And each week, we have more and more characters to try (which is good), but not enough iso to level them. I think this is the only RPG game where you can’t farm, It is impossible in this game, even if you want to loose your time to get iso, you can't really do it.

And buy iso with money is so damn expensive, 4.5€ for 2100 iso is ridiculous. With this amount of iso in some cases you can barely raise one level, maybe not even one level!

- So first, give more iso for each dollar/euro. It should be at least double de iso for that price or even triple that amount.
- Combats in PVP should give double of the rewards they give now, 1 * -> 140, 2* -> 240 and it should exist a 3* -> 480 rare reward.
- In PvE and Prologue you should get 50 iso when a mission gives you no other reward (or when doesn’t have any reward left).
- And Lighting Rounds should be all week long, not just two days.

These changes are extremely needed. I want to try so many different characters, but I can’t because it is so damn difficult to raise their levels. This is another reason as why everybody plays with the same characters.

PD: I have read in other threads that some people has reserves of iso of 30k or 100k. How can you do that ?!?!?

Comments

• turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have read in other threads that some people has reserves of iso of 30k or 100k. How can you do that ?!?!?

PVEs and lightning rounds are good sources of ISO.
    And low boost usage of course.

And dont level up chars 50+, unless the hero is so good.
  • I have read in other threads that some people has reserves of iso of 30k or 100k. How can you do that ?!?!?

PvE is always good source of iso (except for those with broken scaling, heh).
    In LRs, some people already got all covers for villains, so they just prowl and fight to farm iso.
  • NighteyesGrisu
    NighteyesGrisu Posts: 563 Critical Contributor
    Options
    your first suggestion sounds fine, even though I never buy 'regular' currency for real many anyway. But the current cost is way too high for it's utility...Has anybody actually ever bought iso8?

your second suggestion has been announced (weaker, though), but so far somehow hasn't found its way into the final product...I guess it'll be in at the same time as the skip tax icon_e_sad.gif

I'm all for more than 20 iso for finished missions too icon_e_smile.gif

Not so sure about the LR, though. Part of their appeal to me is that they're kinda 'special' not everyday occurences icon_e_smile.gif
  • Polares
    Options
    turul wrote:
    I have read in other threads that some people has reserves of iso of 30k or 100k. How can you do that ?!?!?

PVEs and lightning rounds are good sources of ISO.
    And low boost usage of course.

And dont level up chars 50+, unless the hero is so good.

I know, but sometimes you want to try some character or some strange combination, but I can't because of the level. In the end everyone uses 2*Wolvie, OBW, Thor, Ares, Spidey, Hulk, Punisher and Patch.

And I know Lighting Rounds are great for farming, this is why they should be all week long, not just two days.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Polares wrote:
    Iso8 is clearly too expensive and too difficult to get in this game, I think everybody would agree to this point.

Well, everyone wouldn't agree.

Earning ISO and levelling your characters is a key part of the game. Without a need for ISO there would be very little reward for PvE or PvP battles, only the end of tournament rewards, which might even be covers you don't need. because it is hard to have all the ISO you need, you are always getting rewards and always progressing.

PvP would also get old pretty quick when all you face is 141s and 85s. The slower gain of ISO means it takes a lot longer before PvP becomes the exact same bland battle repeated 100 times.

As ISO is the main reliable reward they don't want people buying their way around progression. Buying small incremental advances by the daily deals is affordable, but if you want a team of the greatest characters at 141 without spending time playing the game the designers have made it so they will be able to buy themselves a small island off your purchases.
  • Polares wrote:
    PD: I have read in other threads that some people has reserves of iso of 30k or 100k. How can you do that ?!?!?

I currently have 21k ISO in reserve, mainly because I don't want to spend it yet without some idea what the upcoming nerfs and boosts will do to characters. I don't want to waste it on someone only to find that Modern Hawkeye suddenly gets a great boost and becomes a character worth leveling up.
  • Yes, people buy ISO. That isn't the right question, though - you want to be asking whether more than twice as many would buy it at half the price, and so on.
    Eddiemon wrote:
    PvP would also get old pretty quick when all you face is 141s and 85s. The slower gain of ISO means it takes a lot longer before PvP becomes the exact same bland battle repeated 100 times.
    Not if that's what everyone was using, it'd just be standard. It is the norm in the CCG type affairs whose effect interactions Demiurge seems to want to emulate that some cards are rare, but any card does everything it's supposed to as soon as you have it, not after weeks of grinding. 2* 85s already are standard - even in Rage and Ruin, I don't recall fighting many Areses below 85 in round 2. He'd been out, what, a week? Easier than most to complete covers for, obviously. Still haven't done my MNMags.

I do think some degree of ISO scarcity is probably necessary, though. There just aren't that many people who'd continue playing for the pleasure of it without the Progress Quest aspect. If most had everything they considered important maxed, their interest would dwindle.

I'd buy boosters (+50% ISO gain for a day, or some such, like the ones in every other f2p grindfest ever). But Demiurge doesn't want those or has other priorities.
  • Eddiemon wrote:
    Polares wrote:

I can't remember the last time I fought a PvP match that wasn't either maxed charatcers at 85 or levelled characters over 100.

You will always face maxed characters because that is what people use.
  • Polares wrote:
    I think that it's right around the point it needs to be.
    your first suggestion sounds fine, even though I never buy 'regular' currency for real many anyway. But the current cost is way too high for it's utility...Has anybody actually ever bought iso8?
    I have. You get more ISO per dollar at 99.99 than you do at 1.99.
    abuelo wrote:
    I can't remember the last time I fought a PvP match that wasn't either maxed charatcers at 85 or levelled characters over 100.

Are you skipping people? A very small percentage of people have maxed characters.
  • Rather than fixed amounts, make the amount of ISO awarded from a fight scale with the level of characters used for the fight. If you're using an average level 100+, getting 100/200 wouldn't be unreasonable for PVP, with a booby prize of 50 for PVE (up from 20). That helps preserve the scarcity of ISO while not making the rewards so high that the only thing you'll use is your high level characters.
  • Bugpop wrote:
    abuelo wrote:

Are you skipping people? A very small percentage of people have maxed characters.

It's probably a matter of MMR. Since the school semester started, my MMR has been dropping (playing less = getting beaten more often compared to wins), and I'm starting to see non-maxed 2* teams again.
  • Just a general comment: if lightning rounds were always on I would earn 10000 iso daily.

I would love that but it's not right for the game.

And IceIX stated in a different thread that when lightning rounds ran for four days instead of two there was a lot more burnout as they dragged on.
  • Kiamodo
    Kiamodo Posts: 423 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Just a general comment: if lightning rounds were always on I would earn 10000 iso daily.

And IceIX stated in a different thread that when lightning rounds ran for four days instead of two there was a lot more burnout as they dragged on.

I agree. There needs to be a carrot that's out there. Otherwise people max out characters and just stop playing. Easy come easy go.
  • Bugpop wrote:
    abuelo wrote:

I'm the same way. I'm either facing people with maxed 2 star characters or a mix of maxed 2 stars with level 90+ 3 star characters.

The only respite I get is when I fight seed teams or players are forced to use characters they might not have leveled up yet (like in the recent lightning rounds.). I never tank to bring my MMR down.

Which is fine, because that's about what my roster looks like.
    Just a general comment: if lightning rounds were always on I would earn 10000 iso daily.

But how many hours of play is that?
  • Polares
    Options
    Toxicadam wrote:
    Bugpop wrote:
    abuelo wrote:

I'm the same way. I'm either facing people with maxed 2 star characters or a mix of maxed 2 stars with level 90+ 3 star characters.

The only respite I get is when I fight seed teams or players are forced to use characters they might not have leveled up yet (like in the recent lightning rounds.). I never tank to bring my MMR down.

Which is fine, because that's about what my roster looks like.

Most of my fights are against maxed characters. And of course I skip, I only play against characters with higher scores.

Kiamodo wrote:

I agree. There needs to be a carrot that's out there. Otherwise people max out characters and just stop playing. Easy come easy go.

No, it won't be like that, because you could always add new characters. I think the big rewards should be the covers, not the iso. You gain iso by simply playing, and you should win more so you could use your characters at their fullest and use them to win more characters, therefore having more diversity in the teams.
  • Polares
    Options
    Eddiemon wrote:
    Polares wrote:

Well, everyone wouldn't agree.

Of course icon_razz.gif
    Eddiemon wrote:
    Earning ISO and levelling your characters is a key part of the game. Without a need for ISO there would be very little reward for PvE or PvP battles, only the end of tournament rewards, which might even be covers you don't need. because it is hard to have all the ISO you need, you are always getting rewards and always progressing.

And nobody said nothing on the contrary, but you should win more iso each fight so your team could progress faster, and even raise characters that you wouldn't right now because you have to spend the iso you get in the most powerfull characters. And devs can give other rewards apart from covers, health packs, boosts, etc.
    Eddiemon wrote:

Why it gets old if you face 141 or 85 ? All my fights with 2* are with 85s. I don't see your point here. Playing versus maxed characters is more boring than playing with not maxed???? I think playing versus maxed characters is more challenging. And if you change the focus of the game from getting iso, to getting covers you won't have to fight the same team (as happens now) because you could add more covers that everybody will be able to max out.
    Eddiemon wrote:
    As ISO is the main reliable reward they don't want people buying their way around progression. Buying small incremental advances by the daily deals is affordable, but if you want a team of the greatest characters at 141 without spending time playing the game the designers have made it so they will be able to buy themselves a small island off your purchases.

I repeat, nobody wants that, but what they give now is not enough, progression is very slow.
  • Spencer75
    Options
    Iso is just right...

I don't want to see the price go down, it would become more of a p2w game

I'd also rather not see teams made up solely of leveled characters...

An iso shortage makes players make tough decisions on whom to level
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Toxicadam wrote:

Probably about an hour and a half. Maybe two.
  • Guess this discussion would not be here if the last 2 pve would have been like those before it.
  • Spencer75 wrote:
    An iso shortage makes players make tough decisions on whom to level

Not really, at least for me. Impending nerfs/changes of questionable strength, nature, time frame, or even target are what make leveling decisions tough.

If I didn't know a change was coming, I'd have maxed spidey and mags in a heartbeat! Or a few others instead, if I had an idea of how strong they'd be afterwards. Maybe I'll even want to use hawkeye if he's getting a buff, because he's already fairly strong and hard to counter as a 2*, but as for now he's sitting at lvl6 even if I have the iso to max out 4 of him, just not worth the gamble. In any case, iso should probably be cheaper and more accessible, or have crazy sales x.x