Any plans to stop cheating?

Options
124»

Comments

• quadiak
    quadiak Posts: 177 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I think it's a really elegant solution for cheaters. Give them something where they're still having some fun, so they don't feel compelled to create new accounts and grief the regular playing population. Your non-cheating players are the ones who will actually put money into the game, so it's worth the server resources to sandbox the cheaters to create a better experience for those who might actually support the devs.

It's very similar to how game companies struggle with DRM. Companies with restrictive or draconian DRM tend to see higher rates of piracy than others who embrace a more open model.

I see your point, but I am almost jealous of the guy who won 10000 hp in his own little sandbox.

In my own little introverted way I care less about top placement than i do about receiving rewards. In fact a lot of events I will try to place lower just to receive a more desired reward. Like the last no holds barred event. Since I no longer have the team or boosting ability I once had, first place was out of the question and my BWO is complete so I aimed for top 75 in order to collect 3 astonishing wolvy covers.

The funny thing here is that night shadow (or whatever his name was) got the version of this game that I and many others, who also put the enjoyment of earning rewards above competition, would gladly pay for. I have said right from the beginning of the pay to win controversy that I would prefer a paid app without the in game purchases.

To me it would be different if matches were played in real time against actual opponents then things might be different, but as the game is I feel no healthy competition is provided, due to the fact that the AI system is my only means of defense and I can only control offense
  • quadiak wrote:
    The funny thing here is that night shadow (or whatever his name was) got the version of this game that I and many others, who also put the enjoyment of earning rewards above competition, would gladly pay for. I have said right from the beginning of the pay to win controversy that I would prefer a paid app without the in game purchases.

To me it would be different if matches were played in real time against actual opponents then things might be different, but as the game is I feel no healthy competition is provided, due to the fact that the AI system is my only means of defense and I can only control offense

But here's the catch 22. He didn't earn those rewards. He cheated to get them. Hence why he was put in that sandbox.

He may not actually be getting what you want. You want the ability to earn rewards, assumably easily. Depending on how the sandbox is set up, The only difference may be that you do not show up in anyone else's leaderboard, and your wins would not afflict any loss of points on opponents. Thats how I would do it, anyhow.
  • quadiak
    quadiak Posts: 177 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Kyosokun wrote:
    quadiak wrote:

But here's the catch 22. He didn't earn those rewards. He cheated to get them. Hence why he was put in that sandbox.

He may not actually be getting what you want. You want the ability to earn rewards, assumably easily. Depending on how the sandbox is set up, The only difference may be that you do not show up in anyone else's leaderboard, and your wins would not afflict any loss of points on opponents. Thats how I would do it, anyhow.

Yes you are correct. Personally, I have no desire to cheat to get what I want. Although easy is not that which I am looking for, just possible. In the first pvp events the top rewards at 1300 were virtually unobtainable. Then shields were introduced and I achieved top rewards for the next three events, up to 1800. Now at 2400 they are back to unachievable at such a distance that no one apparently even tries, because the highest I seen anyone getting is around 800.
  • kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    kidicarus wrote:
    In my current bracket, there's a player topping the leaderboards with a really suspicious roster with a whole bunch of 141 lvl 3s and 189 5/5/0 xforce wolvie and 189 0/5/5 IW. And to taunt the rest of the field, an 85 bag-man. I have reported the user but I would really love it the developers could be quicker in adjusting the leaderboards so that I know if I should make a push for it again.

Normally I'm the sort of person to suffer in silence, but after making a push for a yellow IW cover only to be overtaken by a possible cheater with a 189 IW (which already had 5 yellow covers) is not something I would like to experience again. And I don't really want to go through another pve event requiring IW to place decently.

Sigh.. just an update on the progress of my Best there is tournament.

So.. his xforce wolvie is now a 230 5/5/3 and is now sitting comfortably on top of the leaderboards at 800 while the rest of us scrap it out at about 600. Seeing stuff like this is really demoralising - I'm shielded out in the 2-5 bracket 1 game away from the #2 position but there's really no point in slugging it out for a spider-man card I don't really need. Are you allowed to call out cheaters here?

edit: also thanks to jozier and breezer for clarifying some of the game mechanics for me.
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If you've reported him and he's not been banned he's probably not cheating.
    Maybe he just a has a lot of "loose change".
  • kidicarus
    Options
    Well considering he didn't have a single yellow cover yesterday and he has 3 now on the xforce wolverine which I believe you can't buy and not to mention a fully levelled 3/5/5 daredevil which I didn't see yesterday just leads me to call shenanigans!
  • Twysta
    Options
    With the wolvie tournie on there's the packs you can buy for HP with a guaranteed patch or xforce...
    That said, he'd have to have an awful lot of HP...
    Hmm.
    There are people who are happy to pay a lot towards games!

I'm not saying he's not, but then I'm saying he is either.
    I'm just sayin'.
  • kidicarus
    Options
    Yeah well, if he's truly one of the big spenders, then i'd like to congratulate demiurge on their profitable weekend - I have no problem with someone paying to win and he's welcome to bag lady if he's legit. It's just that it can be frustrating when you look at a roster that you know hasn't grown organically - and like it or not it does make a difference as to how much effort to put into a particular tournament.
  • Twysta
    Options
    Yeah I get where you're coming from.
    The guy on top of my Best There Is tourney looks like he's spent a fair buck.
    He only has 2 levelled characters. 2!
    the next highest is C.Storm with 31 levels.

It looks a little suspicious but not enough for me to think he's cheating. He's shielded all tourney and have incomplete and low level wolvie and thor which lead me to think he's bought a lot of HP and sold his wolvie and thor who I assume he also had max levelled. This is all assumption though.