Any plans to stop cheating?

Options

Comments

• I think I found another one today. Strangely enough he does have only 3 star chars all on level 100. I managed to take him down with Under 1 minute to end of Lightning and surprise 30 seconds pass he retaliates and wins before lightning ends (and i had 89 hulk 90 spidy and 121 punisher). I'm not sure if I can post his name (name and shame and so on...) but first letter of his name is M, I think he won a lot of lightnings.
  • nadarath wrote:
    I think I found another one today. Strangely enough he does have only 3 star chars all on level 100. I managed to take him down with Under 1 minute to end of Lightning and surprise 30 seconds pass he retaliates and wins before lightning ends (and i had 89 hulk 90 spidy and 121 punisher). I'm not sure if I can post his name (name and shame and so on...) but first letter of his name is M, I think he won a lot of lightnings.

If you're suspicious send in a request. The devs will review the server records and act if it was cheating. https://d3publisherofamerica.zendesk.co ... quests/new
  • Linxis wrote:
    nadarath wrote:
    I think I found another one today. Strangely enough he does have only 3 star chars all on level 100. I managed to take him down with Under 1 minute to end of Lightning and surprise 30 seconds pass he retaliates and wins before lightning ends (and i had 89 hulk 90 spidy and 121 punisher). I'm not sure if I can post his name (name and shame and so on...) but first letter of his name is M, I think he won a lot of lightnings.

If you're suspicious send in a request. The devs will review the server records and act if it was cheating. https://d3publisherofamerica.zendesk.co ... quests/new

Yep, done that before I've posted here. It just so frustrating at times so this was my way to vent a bit.
  • Spencer75
    Options
    @nadarath

Is it possible he wasn't retaliating against you but merely found you on matchmaking and started his match before you finished yours?

I say because it seems like cheaters don't often get to the point where they're leveling 3 stars...
  • He attacked me first. Then I retaliate just as tournament ends. Since he had like 200 more points than me I saved him started fighting and was waiting with last move till end. So I dont think he could get me 2nd time in a row in that short time. But well i can be mistaken, and maybe he got lucky. I hope devs will investigate him. Thats why i didnt write his full name.
  • Wth at NuclearShadow? So his cheating gets rewarded by turning him "invisible" which allows him to climb the leaderboard without getting attacked and still win 10k HP? That doesn't sound right at all.
  • Of all the things to level at this management of this game....

Complaining about not doing enough to stop cheaters is absurdly ignorant.

More than any other F2P game I've played I've actively seen them deal with cheaters competently.

"How to spot cheaters not winning"

#1 Have you ever seen event listing a few people over their bracket limit? Ex: 2002 players instead of 2000 in the bracket...Yeah those 2 were removed from the bracket and 2 new players joined.

#2 Most events are placed/won by people who either forum regulars or players who have the ability to do so reasonably.

#3 You do not see breakout players trouncing everyone else on the leaderboard. In my over two months here I've NEVER seen impossible leader scores. (*I almost thought the recent heroic event was going to change that until I tested it myself and found out lowbies were able to crush the event legitimately)

#4 Reports of players seem to actively be taken care of. I do not see repeated offenders back under the same account days later.
  • Tolken wrote:
    Of all the things to level at this management of this game....

More than any other F2P game I've played I've actively seen them deal with cheaters competently.

#1 Have you ever seen event listing a few people over their bracket limit? Ex: 2002 players instead of 2000 in the bracket...Yeah those 2 were removed from the bracket and 2 new players joined.

#2 Most events are placed/won by people who either forum regulars or players who have the ability to do so reasonably.

#3 You do not see breakout players trouncing everyone else on the leaderboard. In my over two months here I've NEVER seen impossible leader scores. (*I almost thought the recent heroic event was going to change that until I tested it myself and found out lowbies were able to crush the event legitimately)

#4 Reports of players seem to actively be taken care of. I do not see repeated offenders back under the same account days later.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not complaining but i think a lot of us would love to see some permanent prevention instead of curing outcome of cheating. If cheating would be harder I think there would be less frustration and fewer cheaters.
  • nadarath wrote:
    He attacked me first. Then I retaliate just as tournament ends. Since he had like 200 more points than me I saved him started fighting and was waiting with last move till end. So I dont think he could get me 2nd time in a row in that short time. But well i can be mistaken, and maybe he got lucky. I hope devs will investigate him. Thats why i didnt write his full name.

In the 300HP tournament topic notrack revealed a game bug that allows double-retaliation.

If we could see game play history along with roster -- even the most basic one showing just the player name, teams, points and play time start/end -- that would help to tell realistic activity from cheats. Like for your case i would be evident if the game went on for 3 minutes or just took 15 seconds.
  • Unknown
    edited February 2014
    Options
    nadarath wrote:

Don't get me wrong - I'm not complaining but i think a lot of us would love to see some permanent prevention instead of curing outcome of cheating. If cheating would be harder I think there would be less frustration and fewer cheaters.

And I'd like a pony...

There is no such thing as permanent prevention when it comes to online gaming / cheating.
    It is a never ending war that can only be contained by vigilance.

(Difficulty in cheating doesn't solve it. Technically difficult cheats are still posted up in full detail for the lesser savy to follow through step by step.) It's also entirely possible they are allowing some as a honey pot. (With their level of vigilance I would actually believe this)
  • pasa_ wrote:
    In the 300HP tournament topic notrack revealed a game bug that allows double-retaliation.

If we could see game play history along with roster -- even the most basic one showing just the player name, teams, points and play time start/end -- that would help to tell realistic activity from cheats. Like for your case i would be evident if the game went on for 3 minutes or just took 15 seconds.
    Wow, I totally missed that. Could I get a link please? Did he get banned? That sounds pretty close to my original prediction that he was running multiple clients.
  • Tolken wrote:
    Of all the things to level at this management of this game....

Heh? Pointing out the incompetence is the arrogant thing rather than the incompetence in the first place?
    As told dozens of times, for this game the server could (and absolutely should) check/replay every game rather tnan committing whatever **** the client posts. If it was marginally correct the usual glitches around half-updates (fighting different underleveled mobs) would not be possible at all. Those being processed reveals that the server component is just not doing a proper job. And there is just not excuse to that really.
    Tolken wrote:

Well, that is the competency of the butcher who saws off your leg rather than a doctor who tended the small wound preventing it getting gangrenous in the first place.

And comparing with other games is not necessarily productive as different data flow model and amount of data to describe game state/actions may render best tactics infeasible -- but not for PQ as we have it.
  • Tolken wrote:
    nadarath wrote:

And I'd like a pony...

There is no such thing as permanent prevention when it comes to online gaming / cheating.
    It is a never ending war that can only be contained by vigilance.

(Difficulty in cheating doesn't solve it. Technically difficult cheats are still posted up in full detail for the lesser savy to follow through step by step.) It's also entirely possible they are allowing some as a honey pot. (With their level of vigilance I would actually believe this)

Yes you are right - you cant prevent cheating in full but making it harder reduces number of cheaters. Less cheaters = less frustration of players. And who says you cant have pony! I'd say go for it live your dream! icon_lol.gif
  • pasa_ wrote:

Wow, I totally missed that. Could I get a link please? Did he get banned? That sounds pretty close to my original prediction that he was running multiple clients.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2813 is the bug report -- you can find more detailed description around the same time in the tournament's topic.

And he was not banned for reporting a bug in the game that should not be there in the first place... icon_e_smile.gif
  • NighteyesGrisu
    NighteyesGrisu Posts: 563 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Wth at NuclearShadow? So his cheating gets rewarded by turning him "invisible" which allows him to climb the leaderboard without getting attacked and still win 10k HP? That doesn't sound right at all.

the 10k HP are rather pointless for him since cheaters can 'create' HP at will...He's not being rewarded, he plays in his own special sandbox for special people never appearing on anybody's leaderboard but his own. It's like winning the world championship when you're the only contestant...It's much better IMO than just deleting the account, since then he'd just create a new one until he gets detected. That way he plays a bit on his own, gets bored, and leaves.
  • pasa_ wrote:
    pasa_ wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2813 is the bug report -- you can find more detailed description around the same time in the tournament's topic.

And he was not banned for reporting a bug in the game that should not be there in the first place... icon_e_smile.gif
    That does sound pretty tame. I thought it was gonna be more exploitative.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wth at NuclearShadow? So his cheating gets rewarded by turning him "invisible" which allows him to climb the leaderboard without getting attacked and still win 10k HP? That doesn't sound right at all.

They put him in a sandbox universe. He saw himself getting wins and climbing the table, but he wasn't taking points off players and when they event ended a real player got 1st. But his stupid cheating antics also didn't affect the leader bard and make people break shields or push harder to beat someone they didn't need to beat.

I assume they banned the account later.

I like it because the cheat doesn't know the moment thy have been caught and may waste the whole event before discovering they have been caught. It makes cheat detection systems less obvious and avoidable because you can't look back to the last things you did as a guide to avoid getting aught again.
  • Yes, you just said it... If they pay for it, they are not cheating. They have automatically won, with no effort, the right to have an enjoyable experience. Great. Some of us work for our games, even as we work for life.
  • Some one said (meaning I can't work the quote system) "I assume they banned the account later. "

Really?!?
    If you pay money, you expect service. What else would invisible be about? No one cares about how anyone FEELS. He wasn't automatically banned because they had to satisfy his game play and time paid for. If you take the money out of the equation, then we can have a real game. The writers and developers deserve to get paid, but if you offer the game as a "buying enhanced experience" it really should not make it almost impossible to really compete without spending. The words fairness, dignity, and perhaps even competition come to mind.
  • kiergi wrote:
    Some one said (meaning I can't work the quote system) "I assume they banned the account later. "

Really?!?
    If you pay money, you expect service. What else would invisible be about? No one cares about how anyone FEELS. He wasn't automatically banned because they had to satisfy his game play and time paid for. If you take the money out of the equation, then we can have a real game. The writers and developers deserve to get paid, but if you offer the game as a "buying enhanced experience" it really should not make it almost impossible to really compete without spending. The words fairness, dignity, and perhaps even competition come to mind.

I really wonder where you're getting the "almost impossible to really compete without spending" from. I'm only on 60 days played and have not spent any money on this game (I want to support the devs, but imo their price/value is seriously out of whack) and I've already won multiple tournaments and regularly place in top 15.

Granted, unbracketed events like lightning rounds or avengers elite can be extremely competitive, but for the mass majority of events there should be nothing stopping you from competing effectively, even if you choose not to spend on the game.