The Hunt (Sep 3rd-8th, 2015)

Options

Comments

• meekersX
    meekersX Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I don't worry about personal scaling ever when defeating nodes. Especially the trivial and easy nodes, it will never scale up to a level where it's a threat to my roster. I'd rather focus on clearing the nodes quickly. In particular, Daken/Luke Cage/Iron Fist can grind such nodes to 1 with minimal health loss.
  • meekersX wrote:
    I don't worry about personal scaling ever when defeating nodes. Especially the trivial and easy nodes, it will never scale up to a level where it's a threat to my roster. I'd rather focus on clearing the nodes quickly. In particular, Daken/Luke Cage/Iron Fist can grind such nodes to 1 with minimal health loss.
    agree, can't upvote for some reason...although fighting certain dark avengers can be taxing, more often then not since community scaling has been axed I can usually do okay not worrying about scaling
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think the point he was trying to make is that personal scaling applies across the board to all your nodes - in theory. if you ace the trivials, not only do they increase, but the top nodes increase as well. and that is where it hurts, obviously not the trivials.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Options
    meekersX wrote:

Trivial nodes are trivial, and they're not what people are talking about when they complain about scaling. The teams I was facing, Ares only needed 5 green to one-shot either Daken or Iron Fist, and laugh at Cage's protect tile while doing so.

I assume it's because a 48 hour sub means more clears, which means more chances for enemy levels to jump up. But these have been the highest enemy levels I've seen since the end of community scaling. And that's after taking a few weeks off from PvE.
  • meekersX
    Options
    stowaway wrote:
    meekersX wrote:

Trivial nodes are trivial, and they're not what people are talking about when they complain about scaling. The teams I was facing, Ares only needed 5 green to one-shot either Daken or Iron Fist, and laugh at Cage's protect tile while doing so.

I assume it's because a 48 hour sub means more clears, which means more chances for enemy levels to jump up. But these have been the highest enemy levels I've seen since the end of community scaling. And that's after taking a few weeks off from PvE.
    I'm pretty sure trivial nodes are in fact what people were talking about in this thread. The initial complaint concerned a trivial non-repeatable node, and Zen808 further implied that tanking on trivial nodes affects scaling on other nodes. I haven't observed this to be the case, but perhaps this is so.

My philosophy is still to defeat nodes in whatever fashion is quickest with minimal health pack expenditure. If personal scaling makes a node too difficult, this is self-correcting when you fail the node. Why spend additional time and health packs unnecessarily?

Regardless, even though I was faced with a 296 Ares at the end, he doesn't one-shot Daken or Iron Fist with 5 greenflag.png, so you must be scaled higher. Ignoring that, I tend to use the Powered-Up characters for the essential and normal or hard nodes. I haven't been using Daken, Iron Fist, or Luke Cage for those because they take longer to win. In this event, I have been using Scarlet Witch with GSBW primarily. My third tends to be Deadpool, LCap, or FalCap, depending on my mood.
  • Finished Sub 3 on my stream if anyone wants the lowdown,

and yes, they were talking about trivial nodes.

I know its a sore spot on this forum, but is it REALLY that hard to read the thread before you type something up?
  • Ugh, **** this stupid Moonstone + Leader node. I'm getting wrecked by Gravity Warp every turn because of his stupid battery. Feeder goons are the laziest design possible. Stupid node, stupid fake difficulty.
  • meekersX
    Options
    Ugh, tinykitty this stupid Moonstone + Leader node. I'm getting wrecked by Gravity Warp every turn because of his stupid battery. Feeder goons are the laziest design possible. Stupid node, stupid fake difficulty.
    Scarlet Witch is pretty good defense because of her CD tile. Anyone that makes special tiles cheaply can work, including Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Daken, and Blade. Could even use Beast, Punisher or Psylocke.
  • KingDon
    KingDon Posts: 173 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Sitting in the top 75 at the mo, having finished in the top 100 for both subs so far (with only 2/3 essentials)....was expecting the normal 2* glory from the event tokens....but mother of god.......1st token pulled a blackflag.png Mr Fantastic.....
  • Mark 11995 wrote:
    Wow, now that Ragnarok has healing, that node with him + Daken + Lieutentant is stupid tough. They'll just outlast you since everyone has healing. And thanks to Daken's constant supply of strike tiles, eventually come out ahead. Extra tough since it's low-level, meaning you can't use your good characters or else you'll trigger scaling. So I'm trying to whack these guys with some 2/1/2 builds and can't do any damage to get past their healing. It's one of those annoying things about the game where playing it the right way really hurts the overall fun.

I just whacked them with maxed 3*s takes less than a minute.. their level 55 scales to 65 so what... next time it's a minute and 10 secs.

What next time? It's a non-repeatable node....

didn't know specifics I just approach any easy nodes that way.

I know, me too. Scaling is only annoying in the harder nodes. Had to try multiple times in the last node in florida (ares/daken/venom) because it got scaled a bit harder every time
  • Wasn't really trying with this one at first. Don't have roster space for Reed.

Until I realised with 1 day 9 hours to go I was around 250th having only cleared about 4 nodes and the bracket had been open at least a day. Only conclusion I could reach was that my terrible performance at Prodigal Son has dropped me to a beginner bracket.

So tentatively at first I started clearing nodes. True enough I climbed the leaderboard at a surprising rate. I decided to fully commit, after all there were only 30 hours left by this point.

23 hours to go and I was on the cusp of the top 20. If I kept going at that rate it should be an easy top 20 and two Reed Richards covers. Suddenly I was confident I could make roster space for him.

It's just finished, the only essential I was missing was Star Lord. I did perfect clears on the final sub for 10th place in the sub, but somehow I ended up 22nd overall.

Absolutely gutted. I can't believe how much of a certain thing it felt like 23 hours ago. I may never play story mode competitively again. Progression awards only for me from now on.
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    Options
    A recurring thought while frantically grinding S3 to only end up in 11th place.

tTr0ICp.png
  • Did my thing, grinded as much as I could until halfway grind of last sub, when I noticed the others coudnt catch up. My first T2 end ever and its for the **** Reed, oh boy. Well, at least mine will be slighly better on his PvP, for the first time my 4* will be better than the loaner.
  • ShionSinX wrote:
    Did my thing, grinded as much as I could until halfway grind of last sub, when I noticed the others coudnt catch up. My first T2 end ever and its for the **** Reed, oh boy. Well, at least mine will be slighly better on his PvP, for the first time my 4* will be better than the loaner.

I'm amazed at how many aggressively pursue the "****".
  • bobbyfish
    Options
    Was weighing up with myself whether 2 5:30 alarms were worth a T50 4 star after joining this one late, but then opened up my Savage Land Pack to find a Nick Fury and suddenly it felt more worth it! First 4 star I've ever pulled from anything but a standard pack. In 9 months. Happy with that!
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bobbyfish wrote:
    Was weighing up with myself whether 2 5:30 alarms were worth a T50 4 star after joining this one late, but then opened up my Savage Land Pack to find a Nick Fury and suddenly it felt more worth it! First 4 star I've ever pulled from anything but a standard pack. In 9 months. Happy with that!
    ...you only needed top 100 to get Mr Fantastic. Only advantage of getting top 50 would be 25 extra HP. I'd say that's not worth two early morning alarms.
  • bobbyfish
    Options
    Quebbster wrote:
    bobbyfish wrote:
    ...you only needed top 100 to get Mr Fantastic. Only advantage of getting top 50 would be 25 extra HP. I'd say that's not worth two early morning alarms.

Yeah, I know, but I stopped early and went back to bed both days before work, just wasn't sure how aggressive the competition would be. I left it 45 minutes early at 45th, assuming I'd drop, and I didn't. I need the HP to recruit Mr Fantastic anyway!
  • so this whole mercing thing is getting ridiculous...my alliance was top 50 until mercs jumped in(I guess after I went to bed?) and was pushed to 99.

I guess this hypothetically could've been spurned on by the fact you need reed in gauntlet. Now even a top 50 score isn't safe...
  • PeterGibbons316
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    so this whole mercing thing is getting ridiculous...my alliance was top 50 until mercs jumped in(I guess after I went to bed?) and was pushed to 99.

I guess this hypothetically could've been spurned on by the fact you need reed in gauntlet. Now even a top 50 score isn't safe...

I think mercing is a terrible mechanic, and really defeats the purpose of team play. Alliance scores should be based on the roster at the start of the event, or at the very least have a 48hr cooldown after you leave an alliance (or before someone that left can be replaced) so that you don't get such drastic shifts in alliance scores at the end of an event.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    so this whole mercing thing is getting ridiculous...my alliance was top 50 until mercs jumped in(I guess after I went to bed?) and was pushed to 99.

Or your alliance was front loaded with S1/2/3 players and naturally got pushed out by S4/5 teams.

The merc market was pretty thin this event