Glad I don't have that ability!

Raffoon
Raffoon Posts: 884
edited September 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
What abilities are you glad that you don't have on your characters?

Some examples:

I have a Starlord with 5 Yellow, 3 pink (that's just how the tokens came out). Right now I can use him as a support without having him use his red on defense. If I had 1 red cover, he'd start using that. It's kind of better that I don't have that red cover!

Carnage black? I have it, but just at 1 cover. Every time I use him against goons, the match takes an extra 2 minutes or so for his animations. I kind of wish I didn't have it.

While the CapFalc tournament was going on, I didn't have any covers, so I got to use the loaner. When I hit the 1K progression, I waited until the tournament was over to recruit him, since otherwise I'd have to manually go in and change back to the 1/1/1 loaner from the 0/0/1 version that I'd own every time I started a match.

When I was covering up 4* Thor, I considered not putting anything in her yellow. I ended up putting 3, because sometimes she's the only yellow I have, and the extra levels are worth something, but when using her with other characters that have good yellows, I'm sure she spends 12 AP doing 750 aoe damage all day long.

So what covers are you glad you don't have or wish you never leveled?

Comments

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2015
    I am considering doing the same with Vision's Yellow. I have him at 5/3/0

Also I recently earned Loki's 3rd Purple and... it's worse. He moves too many tiles, using it 3 times in a row and not matching anything is quite annoying. I'm going to build a new one with 2 Purple.
  • DukeUpdate
    DukeUpdate Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Deadpool - Life of the Party (Black)

I'd love to use him more for Whales/Whales/Whales, but, against tougher opponents, by the time get gets enough purple, he's taken so many hits from Life of the Party, he's already dead.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm sure I'll go ahead and apply it once I ever get one, but for now I'm quite happy with my 5/3/0 prof X. That yellow passive might put tiles right where I want to place more green tiles with gsbw, so no yellow seems best for now.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wish I hadn't given QS that Blue cover... I hardly use him, but that blue locking tiles has blocked more match 4 and match 5's for me than it has hindered the AI... I hate it!
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Raffoon wrote:
    When I was covering up 4* Thor, I considered not putting anything in her yellow. I ended up putting 3, because sometimes she's the only yellow I have, and the extra levels are worth something, but when using her with other characters that have good yellows, I'm sure she spends 12 AP doing 750 aoe damage all day long.

Not quite the point of this thread, but I have 4* Thor at 5/5/3. On purpose. I'm basically a heretic.
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Add me to No Alien Instincts list. With the red cover from the Widow PvP, mine is now 5/0/4.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not an issue for me yet, but I kind of want to build Thing with no red so that I can pair him with Xpool and not have him eat up red that could be used for Out of Bullets on defense.
  • Tarheelmax
    Tarheelmax Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    Mostly, I just wish there was a way to toggle passives on and off (except for ones that have drawbacks like heat and healing).

Sure, Bringing out the Best is great usually, but if I'm hopping, I don't want the matches slowed down for any reason. I can burn an extra health pack.

Another one that comes to mind is Psychic Convergence. With only 3 covers, the tiny protect shield he lays down only slowed down every match last PVP with my Charlies Angels team. And seriously, was it a rule that the protect tile had to be placed on green whenever GSBW used deceptive tactics?
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    but his black, in addition to speeding up matches, makes his green more reliable IMO.
    unless you ran him with mostorm (maybe to a lesser blade), his black is likely the only thing that reliably fuels his green. otherwise his green is just a jugs green.
  • All one that have already been addressed...

Deadpool blackflag.png
    Carnage blackflag.png
    Qs blueflag.png

Don't own Carnage (and likely won't), but every time I play against or WITH him I want to throw my phone...

The other two? Already been said by others, but dying before whaling and missing out on better moves, respectively.

DBC
  • Raffoon wrote:
    While the CapFalc tournament was going on, I didn't have any covers, so I got to use the loaner. When I hit the 1K progression, I waited until the tournament was over to recruit him, since otherwise I'd have to manually go in and change back to the 1/1/1 loaner from the 0/0/1 version that I'd own every time I started a match.
    Oh man, I always have this problem with new releases. I usually finish top 100 individual and alliance and have to choose between the 1/1/1 loaner, and 0/2/0 that I have and can level slightly. During the event I got another blue from a token, and then a 4th blue from the progression. At some point I just said **** it and took him to level 100 to finish out the event using only his blue ability (acutally worked out nicely since I was running Patch/Daken the whole time.)
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    jojeda654 wrote:
    Add me to No Alien Instincts list. With the red cover from the Widow PvP, mine is now 5/0/4.

I'm not rostering Carnage, but when using the loaner or playing against him (which isn't much different than playing with him, ha), the most unique, useful, and interesting thing about him are all those crazypants attack tiles everywhere. Why does everyone hate them so? I guess it does have a heavy influence on lineups you would use him in ... but his black, in addition to speeding up matches, makes his green more reliable IMO.

I agree. I kind of adore carnage. Sometimes I put him, blade and px together and watch the board fill up with nonsense, and then if carnage and blade accidentally kicks it px buffs all the tiles to 7.8k a turn.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Raffoon wrote:
    What abilities are you glad that you don't have on your characters?

Some examples:

I have a Starlord with 5 Yellow, 3 pink (that's just how the tokens came out). Right now I can use him as a support without having him use his red on defense. If I had 1 red cover, he'd start using that. It's kind of better that I don't have that red cover!

Carnage black? I have it, but just at 1 cover. Every time I use him against goons, the match takes an extra 2 minutes or so for his animations. I kind of wish I didn't have it.

Back when the best pairings for Gamora involved Green abilities that I'd rather use on the teammates, I intentionally withheld acquiring her Green cover. It means that I can only use her when she's boosted and tanking, but it meant that she wouldn't use up all the Green AP when I had other plans for it. Now it is sitting at one cover because I accidentally added it, so I have to go get more now.

I intentionally withheld Vision's yellow so that he would always keep his blue tile out.

I had a really fun time in this last GSBW PvP fighting Hulkbusters who wouldn't use their Repulsor Punch because they were saving up for GSBW's Pistol.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    wish I could remove vision's yellow. they should give that option to take something off that you realize you don't want.
  • jojeda654 wrote:

I'm not rostering Carnage, but when using the loaner or playing against him (which isn't much different than playing with him, ha), the most unique, useful, and interesting thing about him are all those crazypants attack tiles everywhere. Why does everyone hate them so? I guess it does have a heavy influence on lineups you would use him in ... but his black, in addition to speeding up matches, makes his green more reliable IMO.

I think it's just the amount of damage he puts back onto your own team. And it's not a small amount, if you have no way to convert/destroy those tiles. And keep in mind, anytime you fire an ability to even do that, you're having 2 more tiles against you dropped on the board.

Personally, I feel his black would be much less vilified if his 4th and 5th cover reduced the number of enemy attack tiles to 1, and then 0, and didn't get damage increases for his own attack tiles, as that would make 5 black a viable alternative to 5 green, as they would be trading effectiveness, but I don't forsee that changing.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Haetron wrote:
    I think it's just the amount of damage he puts back onto your own team. And it's not a small amount, if you have no way to convert/destroy those tiles.
    That's kind of the whole point. You wouldn't use him unless you DO have a way to mitigate the enemy attack tiles. Putting Carnage in your formation just for his red seems like a waste of a slot.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Haetron wrote:
    Personally, I feel his black would be much less vilified if his 4th and 5th cover reduced the number of enemy attack tiles to 1, and then 0, and didn't get damage increases for his own attack tiles, as that would make 5 black a viable alternative to 5 green, as they would be trading effectiveness, but I don't forsee that changing.

My Carnage is 5/3/5, but after playing him for awhile, I think I am going to respec him to 5/5/3.

I just never get much damage out of my green... even if I wait until there's a ton of tiles on the board, I'm still getting like 3-5,000 damage out of it and almost never any AP on the board shake.

However, having all those attack tiles out there doing more damage? I like that. If I'm really worried about Carnage's attack tiles getting out of control, I can always pair him up with Jean to clean the board up a bit.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Buret0 wrote:
    Haetron wrote:

My Carnage is 5/3/5, but after playing him for awhile, I think I am going to respec him to 5/5/3.

I just never get much damage out of my green... even if I wait until there's a ton of tiles on the board, I'm still getting like 3-5,000 damage out of it and almost never any AP on the board shake.

However, having all those attack tiles out there doing more damage? I like that. If I'm really worried about Carnage's attack tiles getting out of control, I can always pair him up with Jean to clean the board up a bit.

You guys are making a good argument, but I'm still going 5/3/5.

I don't mind the variable damage given the consistent damage he does otherwise. And defensively (which is his primary use for me anyway), I'd rather have something that if ignored has potential as a game changer, than slightly heavier bleeding.
  • Back to the OP, a better solution than purposely not keeping covers would be a mechanism to partially control your team in the AI's hands on defense. Obviously we can't have huge control, but it shouldn't be impossible to say "*You* don't use *this* power!". Turning off passives might be less reasonable, but why can't we sleep active ones?