So Jean purple got changed?!?

nwman
nwman Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
edited September 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Specifically it looks to not stop ultron bombs.

Any comment, or notice?

F terrible.

Comments

• JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Still not sure if it's an outright change or a clarification. She may have never been able to clear away Ultron bombs.
  • nwman
    Communication is a wonderful thing.
  • Tannen
    Tannen Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    New wording doesn't specify web or locked tiles either. -- Only strike, attack, protect, invisibilty and countdowns.

It'll be because she's meant to counter Prof X, specifically, not Quicksilver or Spidey. icon_e_wink.gif

I'm just glad that they do still allow countdown tiles in there...
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tannen wrote:
    New wording doesn't specify web or locked tiles either. -- Only strike, attack, protect, invisibilty and countdowns.

It'll be because she's meant to counter Prof X, specifically, not Quicksilver or Spidey. icon_e_wink.gif

I'm just glad that they do still allow countdown tiles in there...

Locked, webbed, and charged tiles are considered neutral.
  • Rogan_Josh
    Rogan_Josh Posts: 140 Tile Toppler
    The only bit of info i can add is that she never removed enemy trap tiles.

Which sucks btw.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Have we had a re-run of Avengers vs. Ultron since Jean was released? How do we know it doesn't affect Ultron's bombs?
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rogan Josh wrote:

Which sucks btw.
    Trap tiles aren't usually included in the broad definition of "special tiles" used by some abilities. The devs seem to be moving away from that broad descriptor, which is good because it can cause confusion.
  • I cant wrap my head around the idea of that power ever hitting Ultron bombs...that would literally defeat the whole purpose of the fight.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    I cant wrap my head around the idea of that power ever hitting Ultron bombs...that would literally defeat the whole purpose of the fight.
    What are you talking about? You still have to collect lots of purple AP. Does LCap's overwrite ability also "literally defeat the whole purpose of the fight"?
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    I cant wrap my head around the idea of that power ever hitting Ultron bombs...that would literally defeat the whole purpose of the fight.
    What are you talking about? You still have to collect lots of purple AP. Does LCap's overwrite ability also "literally defeat the whole purpose of the fight"?

True but there is more strategy involved with Rogers than it would be with Jean. Jean would simply be able to remove up to 6 bombs while Rogers/Cap has to throw the shield at ONE bomb. Plus Rogers CD must be high enough before it gets destroyed at the bottom row. While yes it makes it easier with Rogers/Cap, it does not guarantee victory like Jean's likely would.

Let's not forget the fact that Ultron loves to get a 5 match of tiles coming down in the row, she would eat Ultron for breakfast if she could also remove his bombs too.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    DayvBang wrote:
    Rogan Josh wrote:

Which sucks btw.
    Trap tiles aren't usually included in the broad definition of "special tiles" used by some abilities. The devs seem to be moving away from that broad descriptor, which is good because it can cause confusion.

What's more the game treats trap tiles as if the other "side" doesn't know where they are at all - despite the fact that it's a game and of course the game knows where the trap tiles are. This is why the computer will gleefully over-write your trap tiles, and why I suspect they will never create a power that diffuses the other side's trap tiles - it's inconsistent with the way they see trap tiles working. The side that creates them gets to "see" them, the other side doesn't "know" where they are.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    True but there is more strategy involved with Rogers than it would be with Jean
    Do you really do THAT much thinking when using LCap vs. Ultron? Your choices are pretty straight-forward. And, you get to fling a shield every 3rd turn, basically for free. With Jean, you need to collect 10 AP from scratch each time. And since her 3k damage isn't going to make much of a dent in him, she's hardly going to be your go-to character. She basically would've been an insurance policy for when LCap was slow to get rolling.
  • simonsez wrote:

Yes
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2015
    simonsez wrote:
    True but there is more strategy involved with Rogers than it would be with Jean
    Do you really do THAT much thinking when using LCap vs. Ultron? Your choices are pretty straight-forward. And, you get to fling a shield every 3rd turn, basically for free. With Jean, you need to collect 10 AP from scratch each time. And since her 3k damage isn't going to make much of a dent in him, she's hardly going to be your go-to character. She basically would've been an insurance policy for when LCap was slow to get rolling.

Perhaps you did not fully read what I wrote. Yes there is strategy involved, especially when there's many bombs you cannot match away. His CDs are not free every 3 turns if you throw them at a bomb lower than the 3rd bottom row because it gets destroyed and you have to build the AP again. Sure you can just throw a shield at the upper rows only but you run the risk of getting one-shotted by the bombs at the bottom. Like I said, Cap makes it easier but he does not guarantee victory, especially with a bad board. Keep in mind he needs to build 10/11 AP for his Red/Blue while Jean only needs 10 AP for Purple to remove up to 6 bombs which is huge in my opinion. Not saying she would replace Steve but she would be great to pair with if they kept her purple.

Curious to know who you use against Ultron. I have been using Thor, Cap, MNMag. Great for either 2* or 3* teams. Mag creates the blue and red to pump up Steve's shields while Thor Yellow and Green is for pure damage. If Steve dies, Mag's red is a great backup option.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    GrimSkald wrote:
    What's more the game treats trap tiles as if the other "side" doesn't know where they are at all - despite the fact that it's a game and of course the game knows where the trap tiles are. This is why the computer will gleefully over-write your trap tiles, and why I suspect they will never create a power that diffuses the other side's trap tiles - it's inconsistent with the way they see trap tiles working. The side that creates them gets to "see" them, the other side doesn't "know" where they are.
    I expect we'll see a power that deliberately affects enemy trap tiles eventually. I don't have any evidence for that, but as more trap tiles work their way into the game it seems strange not to have some power that specifically counters them rather than incidentally via overwriting or tile destruction.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Curious to know who you use against Ultron. I have been using Thor, Cap, CMag. Great for either 2* or 3* teams. Mag creates the blue and red to pump up Steve's shields while Thor Yellow and Green is for pure damage. If Steve dies, Mag's red is a great backup option.
    that is mnmags. sub Cyclops or witch for thor and that is one of my various ultron teams and goon teams. Cyclops makes more red with yellow and gives a black nuke or witch just force feeds mags purple if she can keep her cd off the bottom rows. never used witch against ultron but its something i'll try now that she is better covered - she might be pretty inconsistent. sorry for the sidetrack.
  • nwman
    I bring lcap and gsbw against ultron as they can both remove the bombs. All 3 of gsbw can remove bombs. Match 4s w green tiles on her purple and the red and green are obvious. However ultron is the one battle where 5 red on gsbw can be good.

With that said, jeans blue stun is useless vs ultron so her purple not being able to deal with it, when the original description seemed to indicate that could is disappointing.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Curious to know who you use against Ultron. I have been using Thor, Cap, CMag. Great for either 2* or 3* teams. Mag creates the blue and red to pump up Steve's shields while Thor Yellow and Green is for pure damage. If Steve dies, Mag's red is a great backup option.

Am I the only one running infinite head explosions with Chuck/switch/GSBW? It is pretty easy to clear out all of the bombs and kill him before he takes another turn. You just need to be careful about making cascades that drop bombs.
  • Rogan Josh wrote:

Which sucks btw.

Yeah, that does suck.

Prof. X and Jean Grey should very much be able to detect traps.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    edited September 2015
    DayvBang wrote:
    I expect we'll see a power that deliberately affects enemy trap tiles eventually. I don't have any evidence for that, but as more trap tiles work their way into the game it seems strange not to have some power that specifically counters them rather than incidentally via overwriting or tile destruction.

It is a Geomancer ability, tbf.

!Detect Traps (passive)
    All enemy trap tiles are visible. Each turn remove 1 enemy trap tile, ignoring its effects.
    Level Upgrades
      Level 2: All enemy trap tiles are visible. Each turn destroy 1 enemy trap tile, ignoring its effects. Level 3: All enemy trap tiles are visible. Each turn remove 2 enemy trap tiles, ignoring their effects. Level 4: All enemy trap tiles are visible. Each turn destroy 2 enemy trap tiles, ignoring their effects. Level 5: All enemy trap tiles are visible. Each turn destroy 2 enemy trap tiles, ignoring their effects and gaining AP.

And you mean affects. icon_e_smile.gif (Daredevil effects a trap, the effects of which can negatively affect your health, which can negatively affect your affect.)