Theme teams

Mawtful
Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Since I’ve taken to playing casually, I’ve started finding other ways to have fun instead of pushing for specific progression/placement rewards. I really enjoy making a team based on a known comic book team; trying to get something with even a little bit of synergy and/or rainbow actives. There are quite a few powerful teams, and quite a few that have you praying to RNGsus. Mostly, I’m starting to notice a few gaps which still exist in the game’s roster.

I’m going to ignore the “affiliations” of existing variants, since most characters only have 1 version in the game currently. What this means is: I might list a character on a team even though the version in game is from a different story/timeline/universe/etc. It would be wonderful to have the correct costumes, etc. but we’re a long way off from that. However, I will list a variant if it's necessary to round out the rainbow actives.

Anyway, I’ll kick it off with a few of the more obvious teams:

Fantastic Four
Invisible Woman
The Thing
Mr Fantastic

It’s really hard to find much synergy at all with the Fantastic Four. This team at least has ⅚ actives, although swapping IW for Torch might be a better team; he doesn’t clash with Thing on shields and is better at spamming special tiles for Reed’s passive.

There have been a number of other heroes that have been members of the Fantastic Four at one point or another, and more than a few of them are in MPQ (Spider-Man, She-Hulk, Luke Cage, Black Panther, Storm). Bringing Spidey would help achieve a rainbow team, but you’d need Original or Bagman if you wanted an active ability.

Uncanny X-Force
Wolverine (XF)
Deadpool
Psylocke

This team does have some slight overlap, but does feature rainbow actives even if Pyslocke’s blue is probably not ever going to see use. The 4* Wolverine variant is needed for the active Yellow, but it’s player’s choice for which variant of Deadpool to bring.

X-men (Original)
Cyclops
Jean Grey
Beast

Rainbow actives. Not too much synergy going on here unfortunately. As it stands, Beast is clearly the weak link in this team - he’ll just end up using AP that either Scott or Jean could use more effectively than he can. Technically, you could swap Jean Grey out for Professor X and still keep the rainbow active team. PC has slightly better synergy, as Beast’s blue is cheap enough to cast regularly and Cyke’s Yellow is both relatively cheap & has decent match-5 potential.

Avengers (All-New, All-Different)
Sam Wilson (Captain Falcon)
Kamala
Iron-Man (HB)

I’m taking some liberties here to get the rainbow, and Iron-Man has to be Hulkbuster or it won’t work, but this’ll do it. Kamala + IMHB do actually cover all colours, you just need the last team member to bring an active Yellow, which fortunately allows you to use anyone from the rest of the lineup: Thor, Vision, and Spider-Man. Nova’s also on the team, but not in MPQ yet. If you want to use a team as they’re presented in the comic, then FalCap + TGT + Kamala is your best option.

Kamala + IMHB is a decent enough pair, even if they don’t have any synergy with each other. FalCap is probably a marginally better teammate than TGT to round it out, but still nothing too fancy.

That Guy from That Movie
Wolverine
Deadpool
Blade

AKA the Ryan Reynolds triple pack.
For those playing catchup, Ryan Reynolds has appeared in Wolverine: Origins, Blade: Trinity, and the upcoming Deadpool movie.

An alternative spin on this theme would be Captain America + Deadpool + Human Torch, with Deadpool spending the entire match talking to two versions of Chris Evans.

Comments

• El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Good post is good. I will try to add more good to it...or maybe just silliness, I dunno.

Grurple Girls
    Jean Grey
    GSBW
    Kamala Khan

Green, purple, green, purple, purple, purple, green, green.
    All girls!

Black Rage
    Nick Fury
    Blade
    Black Panther

You'll need to play Public Enemy while using this team for maximum effect.

Diagnosis: Smash
    Doctor Octopus
    Doctor Doom
    Hulk

They're all doctors, get it?

Stoplight
    Kamala Khan
    Thor (2 or 3)
    Hulkbuster

1, 2, 3 red light! 1, 2, 3 green light! 1, 2, 3 red light! Whee! Just like elementary school!

I'm tired of this whole "taking damage" thing
    Thing
    Colossus
    Falcon
    (Mags also acceptable)

MOAR PERTEKT TILEZ PLZ!

Getting fisted and fingered
    Iron Fist
    Kingpin
    Scarlet Witch

Oh man, I think I'm skirting a ban on this one...
  • Salgy
    Salgy Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    I'll play along...

mr. clean team
    Any 3:
    Fury
    Cage
    Prof x
    kingpin

redheads
    Jean grey
    Gsbw
    Squirrel girl

blonds have more fun
    4hor (or Steve)
    Captain marvel
    Sentry

all mohawks all the time
    Mostorm (obviously)
    laken
    Ares (ok I'll admit that's a stretch...)
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Salgy wrote:
    I'll play along...

all mohawks all the time
    Mostorm (obviously)
    laken
    Ares (ok I'll admit that's a stretch...)

I'll allow it.

Perhaps it could be modified, something along the lines of:
    PX
    Steve Rogers
    Thor/Sentry

The hair gets longer and longer! I tried to stick with golden blonde hair types, although I think all the baldies originally had brown or black hair.

Here's another one from last BOP, which I called "Aye, aye, Captain!"
    Hawkeye
    Bullseye
    Captain America/Marvel

Probably my finest work.

Blind leading the blind/Blind Man's Bluff/2 Eyes between 3 people/etc.
    Daredevil
    Nick Fury
    Wolverine (Patch)/Cyclops

Decent coverage, you could drop Fury and take both Patch + Cyke which would give you rainbow, but those guys both technically have 2 working eyes.

Three's a Crowd
    Fury
    Kingpin
    Rocket & Groot

This team is actually comprise of Nick Fury + Avengers (6), Kingpin + Maggia Goons (6), Rocket & Groot (2) = 14 people. I mean, you should just win on numbers alone!

Land, Sea, & Air
    Spider-Man/Ant-Man
    Doctor Octopus
    Falcon

Maybe people will retreat to you out of pity.

Brotherhood of Mutants
    Magneto
    Mystique
    Scarlet Witch

Back to being serious here. You could sub Quicksilver in for Switch, but why? Juggs would also fit in the last slot and keep rainbow coverage, but mostly this just leaves me wanting a few more Brotherhood mutants! Sabretooth, Destiny, Toad! There's a wealth of mutants to choose.

Domo Arigato
    Vision
    Ragnarok
    Iron-Man

This one's just for kicks. You miss out on rainbow, and there's not really too much synergy happening.

Edit:
    I completely forgot about the Guardians of the Galaxy! Twice! I don't even have to try and juggle the roster, so it's pretty straight forward.

Starlord
    Gamora
    Rocket & Groot

Well, it's got rainbow actives, but nothing about this team really excites me. It really puts a lot of pressure on Drax to be above average. Of course, there are a ton of other Guardians members, but I just don't see Vance Astro or Starhawk making it into MPQ anytime soon.
  • Norrin Radd
    Norrin Radd Posts: 65 Match Maker
    Hood
    Patch
    Bag-man

Who can figure out the theme... It's lame, that's the only hint.
  • Not sure if this team has any synergy except in name only, but here goes.

Game of Thrones
    Fury
    Kingpin
    Professor X
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2015
    Long Arm of the Law
    She Hulk blueflag.pngredflag.pnggreenflag.png
    Kamila Khan greenflag.pngyellowflag.pngpurpleflag.png
    Mr. Fantastic blueflag.pngyellowflag.pngblackflag.png

Get it? Long Arms?

Run She-hulk with maxed red and green, KK with maxed yellow and purple, and Mr.F with maxed Blue and Black.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mawtful wrote:
    I completely forgot about the Guardians of the Galaxy! Twice! I don't even have to try and juggle the roster, so it's pretty straight forward.

Starlord
    Gamora
    Rocket & Groot

Well, it's got rainbow actives, but nothing about this team really excites me. It really puts a lot of pressure on Drax to be above average. Of course, there are a ton of other Guardians members, but I just don't see Vance Astro or Starhawk making it into MPQ anytime soon.

I don't know, Marvel is about to release a Guardians of Infinity book that will feature both some of the newer Guardians and the classic '3000' lineup.

Anyway, as for theme teams, there's

Team Netflix:
    Daredevil
    Luke Cage
    Iron Fist

I can see this team working pretty well, acually. Solid rainbow coverage and the only 'double' power is purple, and the AI would pick the better of the two.

Team Organized Crime:

Kingpin
    Hood
    Bullseye

Lacking red and blue actives, but lots of stealing.

Team new Fantastic Four:

Hulk
    Spider-Man
    Wolverine (Patch)

I like how two of them will just go nuts while Spidey will try desperately to play damage control with protect tiles and healing.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Team Spider:
    Spider-Man (Classic)
    Venom
    Carnage

Hilariously this team actually gives you full rainbow coverage. If you can somehow keep Venom alive with Carnage's friendly damage, you might even get enough web tiles to get Venom's instant kill. Whoa. Might be a fun team on Balance of Power.

Team Illuminati:
    Mr. Fantastic
    Professor X
    Iron Man (Hulkbuster)

Missing green and yellow active, but you can use Prof X's passive to build up red or blue for Hulkbuster (depending on level/positioning). Mr Fantastic is completely useless cause you probably want to use blue and black for HB but hey, theme team!

Team Successors:
    Kamala Khan (Ms. Marvel)
    Thor (Goddess of Thunder)
    Captain Marvel

Rainbow coverage. Good damage from Kamala and Thor. Captain Marvel theoretically can help speed up Thor's red with her passive but she only tanks black so oh well. At least her black helps provide some stunning support.

Alternately replace someone with Sam Wilson Captain America but that provides even worse synergy lol.

That's all I got for now.
  • life_in_death
    life_in_death Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    hell's kitchen heroes
    Daredevil
    Iron fist
    Luke Cage

You get the rainbow and two nice passives, and only overlapping color is purple
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Team Jailbait
    Kamala Khan
    Jean Grey aka JBJ (Jailbait Jean)
    Squirrel Girl (Squirrel Girl started her career at age 14 trying to a be sidekick to Iron Man with her pet squirrel Monkey Joe)

Team Kabob
    Wolvie
    Daken
    Black Panther

Team Denial
    Hood
    Loki
    OBW

Olympic Sharpshooting Team
    Punisher
    Bullseye
    GSBW

Team Slice and Dice
    Gamora
    Blade
    Psylocke

Team Hoodie
    Hood
    Doctor Doom
    Bagman

Team Metal Face
    Doom
    Ant-Man
    Starlord
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    For those old WWE fans:

Nation of Domination
    Blade
    Falcon
    Luke Cage

I love using this team
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've used Classic Storm, MN Magneto and Mystique together just because they're X-Men in (approximately) matching white uniforms. No active yellow (which isn't too bad with Mystique's black), but otherwise rainbow coverage.

Otherwise Captain America, Scarlet Witch and "Warmachine" (IM40) is my "Avengers who still hung around at the end of the Age of Ultron movie" team. 5/6 colors, all active, and two abilities to feed Steve AP.
  • donietsche
    donietsche Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    I've thought about this idea forever (and probably it has already been discussed many times before): it would be nice if they added some kind of bonus for using specific thematic teams. Just like it happened in marvel ultimate alliance: you use the classic x-men line-up? Let say you get x% more health, health regeneration or an additional special skill (triggered by a color uncovered by that combo, making it a rainbow team, or team up tiles). It could make "minor" character a bit more relevant.

I know that Mr Fantastic introduces this kind of mechanic for the f4, but it would be nice to see it become a general trend.
  • DanBenZvi
    DanBenZvi Posts: 82 Match Maker
    For those old WWE fans:

Nation of Domination
    Blade
    Falcon
    Luke Cage

I love using this team

They're one of my favorite teams as well. Only I think of them as Team Blaxploitation
  • aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    Charlie's Angels
    Witch
    GSBW
    Kamala Khan (as teamup)
    ProfX

... yes, it's that team. but they also have a great name icon_e_biggrin.gif

... really must get around to making that background for them ...

Charliesangels.jpg
  • donietsche
    donietsche Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Charlie's Angels
    Witch
    GSBW
    Kamala Khan (as teamup)
    ProfX

... yes, it's that team. but they also have a great name icon_e_biggrin.gif

... really must get around to making that background for them ...

Charliesangels.jpg

I'd put Psylocke in and not KK. Just to stick with the theme, ofc KK has better skills.
  • aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2015
    Men's Wearhouse:
    Prof X
    Patch
    Kingpin

... not a great team, the two baldies will be fighting over the pink all night, but they at least they look good. Would look better if Prof was more GQ and less Mr. Roger's Neighborhood, tho.

Dressed to Kill
    Fury
    Blade
    Mohawk

... all black leatherish. Ever notice Blade in this game looks like Michael Keaton?

Better Red than Dead
    Cyclops
    Daredevil
    3* Deadpool

Reserves: Cmags, Witch ... Torch and Hood if you want to stretch it.

Hitchcock Blondes
    4* Deadpool
    GSBW
    Kingpin

Red White and Blue
    4* Cap
    2* Cap (just looks better than 3*)
    Mystique

The Girls of Old Town
    OBW
    Mohawk
    Elektra

Sleepover!
    IW
    Fist
    Jean Grey

... many superheroes appear to be wearing jammies, but these seem to be the biggest offender in MPQ...so far.

Hard Labor
    3* Thor
    Ragnarok
    Thing
  • The Superior Wilson
    The Superior Wilson Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    Heroes for Hire
    Cage
    Iron Fist
    Falcon or you could sub in Deadpool or Spiderman
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards