1000 is impossible without spending serious cash.

Comments

• I agree that this Falcap PvP was brutal. With near full leveled Groot, Daken, Patch, none of them were up to the challenge. I managed to hit 900 and it was all down hill afterwards. Not only getting attacked, but losing half of my matches to normally "easy" teams.

I'm at that point where I've started to get 1000 in half of the last 8 events. You are probably in the same area and just have to accept that we can't win them all yet. I get so angry too.
  • Lopan15
    Lopan15 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    I usually hit the 11 am central slice. I enter with 2 days left and almost always get to 1k using about 600-700 hp in shields. As mentioned before, my alliance rewards and progression hp usually keeps me with enough hp to cover the shields. I haven't spent money in over a year. My roster is maxed 3*. I don't have any 4* over 165. 1k is doable. 1300 on the other hand, I've only hit once.
  • Seriously, in order to reduce the frustration just let me give you my credit card number so we can cut to the chase. So I can buy a full covered 4 star, because that's obviously what you designed this system for in the first place.

Problem solved close thread! icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree that this Falcap PvP was brutal. With near full leveled Groot, Daken, Patch, none of them were up to the challenge. I managed to hit 900 and it was all down hill afterwards. Not only getting attacked, but losing half of my matches to normally "easy" teams.

I got to 1000 with a Fully levelled Patch and fully covered Loki. With Patch being boosted for the event he's liable to cost any opponent a health pack if they try it on. That combo won more than its fair share of defense battles, and while I didn't come out ahead I would come back 6 hours later to be only -50 after more battles than the system would record.

The Patch green / Loki black combo will kill grind down pretty much any 4* given the strength of the protect tiles generated and the fact that patch is regenerating so much every round. And as long as you can line up the match 4s for your opponent you'll keep them AP starved so they don't get too many specials off and Patch can just shrug them off.

Laken and Groot don't add much functionality to Patch, you need to give him a utility player to work off. And neither of them kills quickly enough.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sorry to have left in a huff, I was pissed earlier. I feel like I'm missing something obvious here, I don't know what in doing wrong haha!

So yes I could use some advice.. i have a decent roster of 3 stars (10 of them are at 166 but 46 character slots total) and a Level 203 xforce with 13 covers, I've been playing for almost 2 years but I can never get enough covers for 4 stars so I'm kind of stuck. (I only have 1-2 covers per 4 star currently.)

I think the thing is I don't get the timing or how to know when it's safe to shield hop. once I get past 800 I can't unshield & get more than one fight in or I'm bombarded.
    I think the trickiest part is to find your equilibrium point - you want to go as high as possible without attracting too many attacks. For me, I have decided 800 is a nice equilibrium point, though it may in fact be even higher. If you see a constant stream of attacks coming in you'll know you've passed you equilibrium point. icon_e_smile.gif
    Anyway, climb as close as you can to the equilibrium point. Shield if you have to - I usually don't bother. Rest up until you have fresh characters to use and plenty of healthpacks, then start to grind. When the going gets tough, shield.
    It's also important to be able to time your climbs. More people are active around the 8 hour and 3 hour marks as they can make it to the end on just one shield if necessary. That means finding targets is easier for you, but more people will find you too. If possible, try to be shielded but look around for juicy targets at that time. You may have to skip a lot.

In the Close Air Support tournament I made it to 1240 points when it was 3 hours and 5 minutes left in the event. I put up an 8 hour shield, looked around for targets and found 3 worth 60+ points eventually. I broke shield, hit the easiest, and boom! There was X-force Deadpool for me. Got lucky no one hit me during that game though...

As mentioned, the slice you choose makes a lot of difference for your score, so try out a few different slices and see what works best for you. I more or less stumbled into this a few weeks ago when I was going to be busy most of Wednesday and chose slice 1 so I'd be done with PvP early. Then I noticed it was a lot easier finding high value targets there, so I have stuck around...
  • meekersX
    meekersX Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Afrocigar wrote:
    Try to join the 1st bracket ASAP. This way you join a bracket with has more time for people to hit over 1300 or so.
    If you mean joining slice 1, that I can support since many of the top PvP alliances play in this bracket, giving more high value targets. If you mean joining early just so you're in bracket with people scoring 1300, I see little point to this. Since you can find matches against anyone in your time slice, there's little point to joining earlier than you need to reach your goal. The later you join, the easier it is to earn placement rewards if desired.
  • gmp72
    gmp72 Posts: 164 Tile Toppler
    OP : Listen to the advice on the forums.
    Just made to 1000 now in Hollowpoint Kiss (4th PVP in a row)
    I only have one maxed 3 star.png (CMags), but didn't use him much in this event.
    As long as your boosted characters are about Level 140 (which means they're 200+ boosted) ... You can do it.
    I was in Slice 1.
    No shields used.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Had my fastest 1k ever in KK pvp.. only took 1 shield to hop from.. final shield was secure until the end, but had hit my season 4k and didn't need the placement rewards, so could have skipped that one.. but merc'ing anyway.. i came away from it +100hp and loads of iso.
  • Sorry to have left in a huff, I was pissed earlier. I feel like I'm missing something obvious here, I don't know what in doing wrong haha!

So yes I could use some advice.. i have a decent roster of 3 stars (10 of them are at 166 but 46 character slots total) and a Level 203 xforce with 13 covers, I've been playing for almost 2 years but I can never get enough covers for 4 stars so I'm kind of stuck. (I only have 1-2 covers per 4 star currently.)

I think the thing is I don't get the timing or how to know when it's safe to shield hop. once I get past 800 I can't unshield & get more than one fight in or I'm bombarded.

I hit 1000 using only Daken and Patch (both 166 boosted to 240 this event), didn't need a shield. I was in slice 5, and I joined it early, climbed as high as I could early (around 750 or so), got attacked a bit that night, but didn't drop below 500 I don't think. Next session I climbed to around 800 or 850 for the 3* cover/ISO and then left, beaten back down to 650 or so. Then with about 12 hours left in the event I made my final push to 1000. I got attacked once and lost about 30 points, but ended up with 1041 or so and then put it down and left myself unshielded til the end of the event. I did a late push with about 3 hours left and finished top 100. Top 10 in this bracket was 1090.

If find that I can hit top 1000 with this method in most events where I have 2 boosted/featured characters maxed, and then I can throw in a Loki/Luke Cage/Hood/IMHB as my 3rd for a detractor. If I want the season pts I'll shield at the end, but most events 1000 is possible without shields.
  • nwman
    nwman Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    Also if your seen as sniping it will bring in hits and make it hard to get to 1k.

It's easy to avoid this even without out of game chat. Q targets, and just wait before you attack.

Most people shield so if you get a 60+ point target they are likely hoping. Q and wait.

The more people that play like that the less often everyone gets sniped.

Before I was aware of how the system worked I imagine I prob sniped someone and in one event a while back I had the same problem as the op.
  • My only money spent went to roster spots early in my play. 10.5 months later, I am using using a 3* team to hit 1k regularly. I play to about 600 and float until closer to the end when I want to use my shields. It is possible to hit 1k without shields, but I find it inconsistent, and depends on the sniping and when you go for it. So I've resigned to throwing up a 3 hour shield once I get to within one match of 1k. I queue 2-3 good matches, then play the easiest that will get me over the hump. The key is to play the match very quickly. Use boosts (the 100 ISO kind). Then I throw up an 8 hour shield for the rest of the event, if I'm comfortable with my score. Keep in mind that there is usually more activity around the 8 and 3 hour mark as other people are climbing late or preparing to use their own shields.

I personally had a difficult time this event, as I was in a very active slice 4. The buffed characters work well for a slow climb, but they are too slow for the final hop. Faster teams were more fragile and made for easy pickings for a lot of climbers. I barely cleared 1k using twice the hp for shields. The previous event I hit 1.3k with the same amount.

My rewards for individual and alliance progression and placement make this about break even in hp. Additional hp can be farmed by placement in pve subs and DPD.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    maybe this will help. If I was starting from scratch, the first 8 3*'s I would level would be

Cyclops
    Ironfist
    Luke Cage
    Kamala Kahn
    Magneto
    Captain America
    Thor
    Rocket and Groot

The other 2 who I consider mandatory are
    Hood
    Loki

With these 10 total you would do fairly well against anyone. The problem I am sure you are running into is that eating through 60K worth of opposing team hitpoints is a challenge if you aren't boosted but that's only if you are going for 1300, getting to 1000 with these guys not boosted would be a cake walk. To deal with massive hitpoint guys you are going to need Hulkbuster or 4hor to deal with them consistently. Focus on those 10 for your 3*'s and watch the game get easier.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Did someone mention needing Line yet for coordination to hit progressions? Sure we can't leave that out of equation can we? We must continue to praise the perfect companion app to MPQ.
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    i think it's funny that the post right below this one is "Wow. 1000 pts did not make top 100!"
    soooo many whales icon_e_wink.gif
  • rbdragon
    rbdragon Posts: 479 Mover and Shaker
    I was able to hit 1300 for the first time ever using XForce/IF. It took 4 shields, but I was able to climb to 1000 before using my first one. I was in slice 5 and I'm a nearly F2P player as I've never bought a cover but have spent a few dollars over the 18 months I've played.

I assumed you needed maxed 4*s to hit 1000 not too long ago until I actually put the effort into trying. Now granted, my 3* roster is pretty good, with half fully maxed, but I don't have a HB or PX or JG or XDP worth mentioning yet...so it can be done.....

This game can definitely get to you if let it.....the biggest obstacle in the game isn't the opponent, but rather the illusion that you can't beat "X" team without "Y" character. Once I realized any team can be beaten with the right board/boosts/strategies, it became a lot more fun.

Good luck in GSBW PVP!
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Deathclaw wrote:
    What kills me is when you end up in the spot where you only see three other players after skipping 20 times, and they're all the same mix of IMHB/JG/Prof X.
    can't tell you how many fistbusters I took down last event with 100falcap/166fist/166cyclops (and px should scare nobody on defense, except possibly with witch, gsbw does not make many match-5s in the AI hands) - fistclops is my absolute best pair I can field (yes, I'm coining 'fistclops'). small margin for error and sometimes you wipe, but can definitely be done. I have spent on the game but only for roster slots and to kick off my *** transition. I would again for my **** transition if there were a clear path of progress that would take less than a year to get there. or if there was just a sale, I'd probably pull the trigger then too. but I'm no whale - have not spent on a **** - my best is a weak **** 2/4/1 lvl120 xforce. I've hit 1K 10 of the last 16 events (IIRC).
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    This thread needs a rebuttal from serious Cash
    Mod warning. Image may offend some.
    Johnny-Cash-Middle-Finger.jpg
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hit 1k in PVP without any shielding at all.. actually got to 1800 before i even took a single hit.

It was the Shield Sim, but no-one specified which PVP event, so yes, it is entirely possible to hit over 1k with nothing spent.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Got frustrated with this event at the end... hit 1K twice according to the points after match not refreshing due to hits in the background pushing the score down... Never got my cover 1K cover.

After second time hitting over 1K and not getting the cover, I just shielded until the end. Finished with 913, bummed, but not bad for only using one shield at the very end.

Dropped shield last 8 minutes to hit 2 fights, in just the few minutes it took to beat the 68 point opponent, I was hit for 57, and the 2nd battle didn't finish in time to count.
  • meekersX
    meekersX Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    meekersX wrote:
    If you mean joining slice 1, that I can support since many of the top PvP alliances play in this bracket, giving more high value targets. If you mean joining early just so you're in bracket with people scoring 1300, I see little point to this. Since you can find matches against anyone in your time slice, there's little point to joining earlier than you need to reach your goal. The later you join, the easier it is to earn placement rewards if desired.

Wrong. The later you join, the less effort you may need to earn progressions. As for placement rewards, you're taking a chance. If you happen to luck into a new bracket, that's free of any late starting monster players, you might be able to get high placement on the cheap, hitting high value targets from other brackets in that slice.

However, if there is a placement reward that you really want, to give yourself the best shot at it, join early, climb early, give yourself as much time as you can for as many hops as you can.
    I understand what you're saying, but I still can't recommend that someone struggling to hit 1k join a bracket early. Even if it takes 3 shield hops to get to 1k, you can easily join in the last 12 hours. As you pointed out, joining later you can play matches off teams that have already climbed in your time slice, so climbing is quicker (and easier) in that respect too!

As far as placement rewards, if you join a bracket as soon as it opens, it's a safe bet that there will be many players going for 1000 and even 1300. Most monster players join early, as they intend to hop as many times as time allows. I have had good experience with placement by joining later, perhaps with 24h or 16h left. Even if I join a bracket that is mostly full, this gives enough time to shield hop a few times if necessary. Top 25 is relatively easy and more is possible depending on the exact competition in the bracket.