1000 is impossible without spending serious cash.

Tilesmasher
Tilesmasher Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
edited September 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I've spent the last few hours breaking a shield, needing less than 30 points (I was at 998 at one point, 992, 987) and being excited to get a falcap cover. I've spent all my hp and have no more shields. I complete the single fight and am back down to the high 800s after seeing the reward screen due to getting instantly shredded Over and over.

Unless I have a $cary ro$ter of maxed 4 stars this is impossible. But without getting these 4 star covers I can't compete anyway.

Seriously, in order to reduce the frustration just let me give you my credit card number so we can cut to the chase. So I can buy a full covered 4 star, because that's obviously what you designed this system for in the first place.

Comments

• acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    You are correct. 1000 is impossible. Anyone getting there is a whale.
  • It's not impossible, and you don't need serious cash. I haven't spent money on MPQ in like...2 months or something.

Now, 1300 on the other hand.....
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    What team are you playing? If your team is too weak, you will be attacked a lot.
    What slice are you typically playing in? Scoring varies wildly between slices, and if you are in a dry slice it's tougher to reach high scores.

I'm a F2P player by the way, and I rarely have any problems reaching 1000 points with a three-star roster.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    I have never spent a dime on this game, and never used 4 stars in pvp unless Xforce is boosted (and even then I barely use him). My 3 stars were all about level 140 when I started getting 1k points in pvp, and I would typically use 2 3 hour shields and 1 8 hour shield, maybe a second 8 hour shield if I was having bad luck.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not really. I've been competely F2p from the start and I have no problem hitting 1k without shields, and 1300 takes about 400-650 HP in shields depending on how well the matches go.

Being F2p and having a relatively scary 4* roster aren't mutually exclusive either (I have xforce, Prof X, HB and Kingpin cover-maxed and leveled, with Fury, Ant-Man and Jean getting close as well. I also have IW cover-maxed, but she's not really worth leveling).

But getting those does require having a broad, decently leveled 3* roster (Max the better 3*s like IF, Cage and KK as soon as you hit cover max, get the rest to l120 so they're useable when featured/boosted), doing well (ie: grinding your butt off) in initial release pve's so you get 3-4 covers, and playing smart (picking time slices with a lot of high scorers, timing your shields right, and on hops picking the fastest team you can field and using AP boosts, etc). Being in a top 100 alliance helps a lot as well, but isn't 100% necessary.

Sure, your roster won't be as scary as those of the big whales, but you'll still be able to hit the progressions with a little effort.
  • You just have to be smart about when you go for 1000 or 1300 as a f2p player. I just hit 1300 with IF/Cyclops, neither of which is boosted in the falcap event. Smart use of boosts that cost ISO can get you to 1k EASILY.
  • brisashi
    brisashi Posts: 418 Mover and Shaker
    I hit 1000 almost every pvp event and haven't spent a dime on this game since november of last year when I spent an entire $20.

Find yourself a spot in a t100 alliance and you'll make more than enough to cover your shield costs. And honestly if you can't hit the 1000 mark without buying more than a couple shields, you aren't ready for that benchmark yet.
  • Zen808
    Zen808 Posts: 260

You forgot to out the super secret insta-win app, too.
  • TIL I am a whale.

But seriously, how's the roster look like? Aren't there people hitting 1k with boosted 120/140 rosters? Like others said, maybe you need to develop your 3*s first. And get a quick shield hopping team.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    It sucks that theres not a definitive way to build your roster. it's not like he can go grind some nodes and level up lol.

Even if they added 3 star rewards to pvp matches, it'd be horrible. I get 70 iso more then i get 1 stars.

Op your issue is roster or character choice.

Even if you had a team of max leveled invisible woman, doc oc and spiderman, you'd still be fodder because its a terrible team in the meta game, and pvp is designed around hawking each other for finite resources.

Unfortunately theres not easy solution for that.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards

You kept popping up in my queue, the game wanted me to murder you.
  • Arimis_Thorn
    Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
    I've spent an obnoxious amount on this event for shields hoping to get to 1300 for the first time and have settled for barely crossing 1k. As others have said, this one was brutal with a new 4* at 1k and DP4 at 1300.

But as others have said, come here with information and requests and you will go far. I'm crazy guilty of venting and quitting (always briefly) and I'm a big loud shiner who is given to hyperbole. But I'm working on it. I never used to hit 1k at all and now with good advice and a good alliance, I haven't missed 1k is several events. Still spending more than I'm making in HP, but getting very close to breaking even.

Sometimes you just get a bad board and when that happens no roster at all can save you.
  • I've spent an obnoxious amount on this event for shields hoping to get to 1300 for the first time and have settled for barely crossing 1k. As others have said, this one was brutal with a new 4* at 1k and DP4 at 1300.

But as others have said, come here with information and requests and you will go far. I'm crazy guilty of venting and quitting (always briefly) and I'm a big loud shiner who is given to hyperbole. But I'm working on it. I never used to hit 1k at all and now with good advice and a good alliance, I haven't missed 1k is several events. Still spending more than I'm making in HP, but getting very close to breaking even.

Sometimes you just get a bad board and when that happens no roster at all can save you.
    it wasn't that bad of an event. Didn't run into any non-loaner captain falcons and went pretty much straight to 1000, plenty of points to go around

if anything, I wish the powered up characters were better....patch/daken too risky
  • dkffiv
    I've spent an obnoxious amount on this event for shields hoping to get to 1300 for the first time and have settled for barely crossing 1k. As others have said, this one was brutal with a new 4* at 1k and DP4 at 1300.

Like raisin said this was a very easy event. 2 new character covers at 1k/1.3k meant a lot of people were scoring high, most people don't have covered Falcaps and the powered up 4*s were relatively weak. Not many people have Xpool or Jean Grey and JG isn't that threatening on D. Buffed 3* were also pretty weak so just run your favorite 2 man team.
  • I've gotten used to getting 900 points, then needing roughly another 500 points to get to 1k.

What kills me is when you end up in the spot where you only see three other players after skipping 20 times, and they're all the same mix of IMHB/JG/Prof X.

My X Force and 3 Stars just can't keep up with that. At least double the pool to six of the same players or something... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think we need a new sub alliance.

F2P Whales
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    scottee wrote:
    I think we need a new sub alliance.

F2P Whales

Team Free Willy?
  • dkffiv
    Deathclaw wrote:
    I've gotten used to getting 900 points, then needing roughly another 500 points to get to 1k.

What kills me is when you end up in the spot where you only see three other players after skipping 20 times, and they're all the same mix of IMHB/JG/Prof X.

My X Force and 3 Stars just can't keep up with that. At least double the pool to six of the same players or something... icon_rolleyes.gif

Get to 900 and shield, wait an hour then do 2 quick matches with 2x +2 AP in your favorite colors and a +2 all ap. Xforce CMag or whoever is boosted should be able to win with a 4 AP boost (especially against Fistbuster - just zerg down fist) and if you finish in under 6m there's a pretty good chance you won't get hit. If you find yourself getting sniped before the second match ends consider using a 3 and an 8 (completing your last match right before the event ends if you want to preserve your score).

Remember that speed is key so get used to making quick (but not necessarily the best) moves to end the match as quickly as possible. When I'm afraid of getting sniped I don't worry too much about the damage I take since I'm willing to use up to 3 kits after the match just to complete my 2 hop as quickly as possible.
  • Afrocigar
    Afrocigar Posts: 73 Match Maker
    I used to think the same until I adjusted my strategy. Keep in mind all that this is what works for me most of the time.

Try to join the 1st bracket ASAP. This way you join a bracket with has more time for people to hit over 1300 or so. My FALCAP event had scores 2090-1422 in the T10, which made my measly 1031 very easy to attain. I finished 32.

If you are short on HP try to time your climbs to coincide with an 8hr and 3hr shields. I climbed to 850 did an 8hr shield. pushed again to 1k and did another 8hr shield. This is a consistent strategy that has worked for me to hit 1k.

Trying to push in the last 3hrs of an event is risky.

Pay attention to your bracket. attempt to stay out of the top 50 until you are ready to push hard. I try to hover around 80-100 until I have time to push.

This may be all wrong, but it works for me. I have a single 4* maxed, XF and my Fury is 354 lvl225, all of my other covers are 3* maxed. I'm on day 677 and have spent less around $60 on the game.

My 2 cents.
  • Tilesmasher
    Tilesmasher Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Sorry to have left in a huff, I was pissed earlier. I feel like I'm missing something obvious here, I don't know what in doing wrong haha!

So yes I could use some advice.. i have a decent roster of 3 stars (10 of them are at 166 but 46 character slots total) and a Level 203 xforce with 13 covers, I've been playing for almost 2 years but I can never get enough covers for 4 stars so I'm kind of stuck. (I only have 1-2 covers per 4 star currently.)

I think the thing is I don't get the timing or how to know when it's safe to shield hop. once I get past 800 I can't unshield & get more than one fight in or I'm bombarded.