What type of rewards do you play for in PVE?

Tannen
Tannen Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
edited August 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Pretty straight forward question. Do you mainly play PVE for the progression rewards or the placement rewards and why do you plan for that type of reward?

Please note, I mean when you decide to enter PVE, what type of reward do you "normally" plan to get. I do not mean when you enter a PVE and discover that you're in an easy bracket or in the last hour no-one's pushing so you make the decision to press hard to get 1st. I'd like to know the "default" assumption of what you're playing for. icon_e_biggrin.gif

In my case, I play for the placement rewards in pve, 100% of the time. Specifically, T10. This is usually because I'm playing to get the newly released character and this is the easiest way to get all three covers off the bat.

On a side note, please try to keep this thread on topic, as I'd genuinely like to know what you play for and why. If you have a way to "fix" all the issues that you perceive are "wrong", or you'd like to tell me how to grind effectively, could I please ask that you make your own topic about it.

Also, look out for the sister poll "What type of rewards do you play for in PVP?".https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32465

Cheers,
- T
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• chaos01
    chaos01 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Progression, with higher levels guys can't (don't want to) grind to stay competitive.
  • NickHewitt12
    NickHewitt12 Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Placement for new characters, but otherwise just casual clears for ISO/tokens.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    progression.

don't have time or desire to grind out placement. especially when new characters are released and my best efforts lead to placing 150+

events with older cover rewards i usually can do ok in. top 10-50ish occasionally, but usually top 100 is pretty easy.
  • Tannen
    Tannen Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Why no "both" option?

I did think about putting that option in, but the reason that I didn't is because you generally don't aim for "both". You aim for one or the other, and if you happen to get the second, while attaining what you're really aiming for, that's a nice bonus.

For example, some people chose dry slices, or start really, really late because they're playing for placement rewards. If they then get all the progress rewards while getting their placement they're happy, but they were never really playing for those progression rewards, they were just a bonus. Similarly, people will join very full slices or play a long way out because they're only looking for progression rewards. If they then continue playing at full pelt due to their bracket being relatively light on heavy hitters and subsequently come first, they're happy, because the placement rewards are a bonus to what they were actually trying for; progression rewards.

That was why I decided not to include the "both" option.

I guess it's easier to see if you look at PVE, because you almost always get all the progression rewards (score x4, usually) if you go for placement (sneaky uber-late brackets notwithstanding). So getting the placement rewards is literally a bonus, not what you're actually aiming for when you started playing that pve. The reverse is also true, in pve, if you're simply trying to get the progression rewards, you stop playing (or play a much more relaxed game) after you get all of them.

Cheers,
    - T
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    In the good/bad old days when I needed ... stuff, I played for placement top 10/50 for covers/hp. Progression was negligible since playing for placement ensured that I ran out of progresssion long before the event was done.

Now I play for the laziest top10 I can manage for new character, and for normal 3* events, make 1 or so clears per sub to pick up event tokens/iso and because I'm completist and hate leaving an open sub half-cleared. Progression continues to be inconsequential and largely forgotten. Sometimes I play a few extra nodes if I notice I'm near the final progression. To sell with all the other 2* progression covers and whatever moonstones I get from the tokens.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Placement. I usually aim for top 10 or higher in any new character release that interests me (and at least top 100 for characters that don't interest me as much).

In any other pve I play enough to get a token each sub.
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    my vote only counts for new character PVEs. If it's not a new guy i'm going for progression rewards, tokens and hp only. i usually aim for top 2 if it's for a new character - had to be content with top 10 lately though. icon_e_confused.gif
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    For non new character pves i just care about getting t300 in the subs for tokens. Usually that is more than enough to get all the HP progressions.

For new chars that I don't care about I'll try for t100. If I want the new character I will grind for t10.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    For non new character pves i just care about getting t300 in the subs for tokens. Usually that is more than enough to get all the HP progressions.

For new chars that I don't care about I'll try for t100. If I want the new character I will grind for t10.

This, verbatim. Very few 3* covers i need.. so only 4* Story Modes make me play hard for placement.. i usually accident into a t150 anyway farming iso and tokens.
  • I used to play for that progression cover but now that I'm all done with 3 stars, I don't really play for much...if at all.
    No interest in the PVE grind right now for a placement I probably wont' get / need.

I guess I just play for ISO and random tokens. icon_mad.gif
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Progression. I can't do full clears every eight hours (and am usually missing some of the essentials) to be competitive. Even when I try doing end-of-event grinding, I can rarely do better than T100.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    not sure how to answer this one - the real answer is all over the place. depends on what the rewards are. if I'm playing for anything (event progression or event placement), i damn sure play to t50 in each sub for the hp. so i guess placement more but depends on a lot.
  • san
    san Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    I put down progression, but let me explain.

I don't actually need any more covers for current star.pngstar.pngstar.png , as I have them either maxed to 166, or more or less fully covered (maybe missing a quicksilver or bullseye cover or two, but since I don't plan to take them past 120, I don't really care). Consequently, I haven't played PVE in a while. I hate the silly grind that ensues when star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png covers are dropped, latest being FCap. I actually played the FCap event, and got top 20, however, this required an enormous amount of time and effort, even with having found a fresh bracket for the event (I was 18th to join). This is not something I plan to repeat any time soon. Until D3 starts to give you star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png as PROGRESSION rewards, I will likely not be partaking in this silliness, choosing instead to focus on PvP, where my numerous maxed star.pngstar.pngstar.png are usually sufficient for a top 50 / top 25 placement and 1000 points (and a free cover!).
  • Needed a third response

20 iso matches
  • **Ended up cut-and-paste-ing most of this from the PvP thread and making some slight alterations because the answer is essentially identical for both events...**

Both here.

If the progression reward is worthy, I'll start on day 1, playing to reach it, but also minding my overall and sub placements, in case I end up at "cusp" points for rewards (just inside/outside T10, T20, T50, T100, etc.).

If the placement reward is appealing and I'm not interested in the progression reward, I'll late start and hammer my way upward and see what my options are after a clear (holding T100, dropping to T150, pushing to T50, T20, T10, etc.).

So yeah, both, because I'm obviously not even going to bother if one or the other isn't worth playing for, hence neither choice being a clear stand-alone option for me.

DBC
  • famousfoxking
    famousfoxking Posts: 245 Tile Toppler
    Neither. I play for node rewards, usually making exactly one clear of every node possible because, hey, free ISO.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Typically 2 days in something in real life prevents an optimal grind and the sure thing awards from progression provide more benefit then dusty 4 stars.
    Lets not forget anything above top like 50 requires a good bracket or the required 4 star.

Everyone plays for placement but as that becomes less reasonable, they play for progression, or the extra hero points.
  • Konman
    Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
    Neither, do each node once, and move one. No grinding allowed
  • Play for Placement, Progression just happens. Im currently in the 2-3 star transition, so the placement rewards guarantee me progress on that track, and playing for the event gets me multiple event tokens as long as I hit my 3+ clears a day, which tend to just be before I got to sleep, when I wake up, and after work.

If Im feeling motivated I will grind some nodes after 3rd clear, for higher placement. I tend to try to get 2 covers, at least.

I see that eventually it's going to come to an end, because eventually, PVP is just a better time investment, but Im not there yet.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mainly I play PvE for sub-event placement rewards (i.e. a token, ISO, and HP if I'm feeling grindy) and the individual node rewards. Overall placement only matters if it's a new character, and progression only if it's one of the few 3* covers I'm missing (which is now down to two, so presumably it won't matter ever again).