What type of rewards do you play for in PVP?

Tannen
Tannen Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
edited August 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Pretty straight forward question. Do you mainly play PVP for the progression rewards or the placement rewards and why do you plan for that type of reward?

Please note, I mean when you decide to enter PVP, what type of reward do you "normally" plan to get. I do not mean when you enter a PVP and discover that you're in an easy bracket or in the last hour no-one's pushing so you make the decision to press hard to get 1st. I'd like to know the "default" assumption of what you're playing for. icon_e_biggrin.gif

In my case, I play for the progression rewards in pvp, 100% of the time. It's waaaaaay to much effort for me to run for specific placement.

On a side note, please try to keep this thread on topic, as I'd genuinely like to know what you play for and why. If you have a way to "fix" all the issues that you perceive are "wrong", or you'd like to tell me how to place every time, could I please ask that you make your own topic about it.

Also, look out for the sister poll "What type of rewards do you play for in PVE?". https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32466

Cheers,
- T
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• chaos01
    chaos01 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Used to be placement. Can't keep up with whales now.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    placement. like top 100.

team isn't good enough for progression yet. only reached 800 once.
  • I play for both, sometimes.
    You should add that as a 3rd option, OP. Because when I spend money on shields at the end of PvP's, its for placement.
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    I didn't vote. Technically, I play for neither because I've all but gone on pvp vacay.

I have been patient and understanding that it takes time for the game to encode l evolve. I'm not upset, it's just a natural part of the game gaining more depth.

However, for me personally, I like to play this game for competition and get shiny new toys to play with within what I consider a reasonable time-frame. With no 4* placement rewards in pvp, I am just not feeling the rush I used to get trying to claw my way into the best placement possible.

Likewise, if a player went all out, they could earn roughly ten covers in a short proud if they did reasonably well (pve individual and alliance placement, subsequent pve progressive, pvp individual and alliance, and subsequent pvp progressive). You could usually get the missing ones a little over a season later. So you have enough to play with the character and could finish within 3 months and move onto others.

New characters were something I looked forward to. I didn't mind roster costs because the motivation of having a playable new character was worth it.

I tried waiting in the new 4*world. Then. I tried whaling characters. However, they both lacked fun for me.

So, in short, the two things that made pvp fun for me are gone. For me, just playing for progressives for a character that I won't be able to use for a half a year just does not have appeal for me personally.

I'll just continue to patiently wait while the players I outplayed for a long time get a free pass (so to speak) to catch up before the 4* tier finally replaces the 3* tier, so I can again partake in the fun of pvp like it used to be.
  • Tannen
    Why no "both" option?

I did think about putting that option in, but the reason that I didn't is because you generally don't aim for "both". You aim for one or the other, and if you happen to get the second, while attaining what you're really aiming for, that's a nice bonus.

For example, some people chose dry slices, or start really, really late because they're playing for placement rewards. If they then get all the progress rewards while getting their placement they're happy, but they were never really playing for those progression rewards, they were just a bonus. Similarly, people will join very full slices or play a long way out because they're only looking for progression rewards. If they then continue playing at full pelt due to their bracket being relatively light on heavy hitters and subsequently come first, they're happy, because the placement rewards are a bonus to what they were actually trying for; progression rewards.

That was why I decided not to include the "both" option.

I guess it's easier to see if you look at PVE, because you almost always get all the progression rewards (score x4, usually) if you go for placement (sneaky uber-late brackets notwithstanding). So getting the placement rewards is literally a bonus, not what you're actually aiming for when you started playing that pve. The reverse is also true, in pve, if you're simply trying to get the progression rewards, you stop playing (or play a much more relaxed game) after you get all of them.

Cheers,
    - T
  • Salgy
    Salgy Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    What if it depends on the first place reward cover? I fight for first if it is a cover that is needed, but will not put up as much of a fight if it's not...
  • Tannen
    If it "depends on X", then that means your usual thing to do is the opposite, and you choose, selectively, to do that thing. However, just in case anyone's lost, I'll play them both out...

If you "usually" play for the progression rewards, and "depending on the first place cover being good" you chose to play for placement, you'd pick progression, because you're selectively choosing to play for placement.

Of course, if you meant it the opposite way -- ie "depending on the first place cover being ****, then I won't play for it", then it's the opposite -- you'd pick placement if this is the case, because you're selectively choosing to play for progression only.

If it's about 50/50, what is the first thing that you assume that you're going to be playing for before you know what the reward is. That is the default thing that you play for. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    I play for event/season score. I think of it as paying membership dues for the benefits being in a good alliance gives me. I go for approx 1k per event as a modestly attainable target without going to too much trouble, and in turn they provide me with iso, hp and alliance covers.

Generally I need the 1k progression maybe half the time or a little less, so that's a comfortable target for me anyway. When there's something shiny at 1.3k I will give it a shot if I have time, but there's no real sense of must-have urgency. Having HB and Carnage at close to full covers during their introduction seasons was motivating, whereas getting one more Thing/Jean doesn't take them much closer to being usable outside of fooling around trivial nodes.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mostly placement, since I have my 3*s pretty much covered. That's usually enough for top 20 placement as well, which nets me some nice extra ISO and HP. Going for first place is usually more trouble than it's worth.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Personal: progression

Alliance: ranking

Alliance progression awards would be a neat wrinkle. Even if it was just a chunk of ISO at 20K overall.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Progression, absolutely. Barrring the current Kamala event, I can't remember the last time top ten was less than 1k or 1100+. I haven't seen first place any lower than 1300 in ages. Placement is for the birds.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm still pretty conservative with PVP. I play for 400 points for the first token and 25 HP, then assess whether I can push to 575 for the next 25 HP. If not, I call it quits. My best progression score to date was 650, though I got beat down to 500-something by the end and just snuck in a T100 for that.

I have a small selection of cover-maxed 3* heroes, none of whom are at 166 yet anyway, and Daken is the closest to optimized at 5/4/4. Magneto is 5/5/3, Patch is 5/5/3, and Psylocke is 5/5/3. So I haven't yet got the best team selection to push for 600 or higher consistently. I can wait.
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Progression without hesitation. I'm able to reach 1000 maybe one time out of 3. Nice way for me to transition to 4* at my pace.
    On the contrary I can't earn 4* through ranking as top 2 is out of my league (like top10 by the way) and I don't need 3* covers usually.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Depends on the rewards for both.

Sometimes I need the 800 point cover, and not the top 100 cover. I'll go for progression.

Sometimes I need the top 100 cover, and not the 800 point progression, so I end up with both as a side effect.

Sometimes I need both (like with Teenage Riot) and I aim for both, 800+ and top 100, including top 100 alliance reward.

If you put "Other", I would have chosen that.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    My team isn't strong enough yet to chase progression beyond the 650 mark or so, and even that appears to depend on what brackets I get tossed into. I mean, that still puts me in the two token/50 HP camp, so there ya go.

What I mostly end up doing is playing every other season so that I'm in brackets where I can compete for top 100 finishes when the event has a cover reward I need. When it doesn't, I just don't play the event.
  • 1k progression, but starting to go for 1.3k. I'm down to 8 3* covers needed, so placement isn't as much of a concern. I will play a little harder if I can move up for a little extra iso and hp.
  • Now that i can hit it, that sweet sweet 1k
  • I only play so that those not using line have farm team a little further in.

I play for tokens and maybe 800 progression. That's it. Everything else is bonus or pipe dream.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Both.

Placement for ISO and HP. Gotta cash in those covers!

Progression for the 4*s I need or more iso for the 4*s I don't.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    goal is 1K every event. last season i strung together 3 in a row and 4/5 at one point. this season I'm 2/3 so far. i shield after i reach 1K at the end to preserve season score/rank and for the alliance rank. so it really is for both. i really wanted t25 in this last one and if i had remembered at 6:55am on my way into work, i would have pulled over and broke shield to try and make it (was in reach), but ended up ~30th.