Do you wake up in the middle of the night to play?

I know that some people set alarms to wake up and hit refreshes. When I wake up in the middle of the night, I'm lucky to find the bathroom without injuring myself or the furniture.

Comments

• fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have, back when refreshes were 2.5 hours. With 8 hour refreshes, never. I play slice 4 so I hit my transition, go to bed, then hit my clear before work
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Not really sure what the point of this topic is about. As the previous poster say, pve used to carry 2 1/2 hour refreshes, and there were players who built their sleep cycle around it. Scary but true.

Additionally, people in non-US time zone had to deal with the fact that pve events had only one ending time---at midnite est. I've known players who again built their sleep cycle around it, staying up til 3 am or 4 am to grind at the end.

This 8 hour refresh cycle, along with the ability to choose from 5 time slices, has made pve events much more playable for even casual players.
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    I have no problem setting an alarm for an 8 hour refresh cycle since that is a full night's sleep for a normal person. I do an end of the night clear, wake up in 7 hours (I personally don't need the full 8) and by the time my morning routine of dog's out, breakfast and wash up, everything is recharged.
  • puppychow wrote:
    Not really sure what the point of this topic is about. As the previous poster say, pve used to carry 2 1/2 hour refreshes.
    That's just it. I have seen people talking about doing it, but I couldn't understand why they would. Maybe their timing for the refreshes is off.
  • I don't, but it would help. Maybe I'm picking the wrong slice, but here in PST my choice is either 8P or 11P. I can't stay up till 11P on a worknight, so I choose the 8P slot. I'm not waking up at 4A to play though, so I take a hit on refreshes. icon_e_sad.gif Back in my younger days I'd consider the alarm, but these old bones just can't take that sort of thing anymore.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    I never have before but I'm going to set an alarm for 4am tonight. I just finished my last 8hr clear and my slice ends at 6am. I'm in 8th right now and this would be my first top ten finish for a new character and I want those three Falcon America covers. I'm going to get up and grind the nodes to dust for 2 hours to make sure I finish strong.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Middle of the night? Never.

I have let the game inconvenience my sleep schedule though by staying up 30-60 minutes later than normal or setting an alarm so that I wake up 45 minutes before I probably would naturally. A good nights sleep is SUPER important to me because failing to get one can easily throw me off for 2 days or more. I don't seem to recover nearly as quick as others do who just regularly deal with broken sleep schedules.

Despite this I often still finish new character pve's in top 10 (although it's usually a very close call).
  • Yes. And even though I sacrifice on many aspects of life, I still cannot hit top 20 for a new character. Got 21 once. My points seem pretty optimal hitting refreshes on time and grinding as much as I can for the last two hours of each sub-event. I believe I am a fast player because I am in top 10 when subs start and top 5 when PvP starts. I'll sometimes die while attempting 500 points on a node during a grind. But still lose to 20th by 3000+ points.

Someone mentioned grinding for the last 4 hours of the event. I have a full roster, but I'd be out of health with that much duration plus the refresh time would be less optimal. I did grind once for 3.5 hours for Hulkbuster, but only got 56th place still. I wasn't able to hit one refresh optimally and threw off the rest of the game.

But I know other alliance members who hit their top 10 without sacrifice, but their score is less than mine: they just have a better slice.

I have been 18th at moments with Sam, but I just know I'll end up ~26th like the last two times despite best efforts. With this event, I finally have a full spec'd Hood and KK. And Panther is 12/13. So that might help tilt the balance since the last two are boosted. We'll see.
  • yeah, i have to pick a slices carefully if i'm aiming for certain placements (new characters). pretty much 2-5 is out due to both school and work obligations nowadays, so i am left with s1 @ 7am est. fortunately, my trial run with it hasn't been that bad. i did miss a few things, but it would have been worse with my normal s5 that i had been doing previously. i usually get about 7 hours of sleep a day even with waking up early, so i'm not exactly lacking.

i only plan on doing s1 with new characters, for old ones, i will be doing my usual s5 and not care too much about optimal refreshes and grinds, etc.
  • Ryz-aus
    Ryz-aus Posts: 386
    Nope. Slice 1 is my best option (8:30 pm for me), but I am not waking up at 4:30 am, and I don't play at work so I don't hit the 12:30 refresh on weekdays either.

Makes top 2 tough in pve, but if you can grind well at the end top 10 is very doable. I don't think I've missed one that I've tried for since they introduced time slices. I don't think it impacts pvp at all other than driving my choice of slice.
  • nwman
    nwman Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    Not normally. I have when it was 2.5 hr refreshes. Well not by alarm but I had a baby so it was wake for baby's bottle and play some mpq. It was quite the advantage.

Since I have only once set alarms. Ant man I think I didn't get the one slice that is 11pm then 7am. So I was setting a 4am alarm to play the second last refresh then back to sleep then wake and grinding from 8am to 11am.

It was horrible but I got top 10. I would have been pissed doing that for 11th on.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah not anymore. Slice 4 begins/ends at midnight for me. So I'll just wake up at 7:30 am and do my clear at 8am.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm getting old, i wake up to pee.. that's about all i can take anymore.. need to practice death (sleep).
  • Never woke up in the middle of the night, but I did admittedly set my alarm an hour earlier for a PvE before I realized how insane that was.

I enjoy games, and MPQ specifically, but actively structuring my life around playing at specific times outside of what is relatively convenient/comfortable within living my "real life?" Uhm, no. No thanks.

That's basically an academic formula for burn-out and player loss.

DBC
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    snlf25 wrote:
    I never have before but I'm going to set an alarm for 4am tonight. I just finished my last 8hr clear and my slice ends at 6am. I'm in 8th right now and this would be my first top ten finish for a new character and I want those three Falcon America covers. I'm going to get up and grind the nodes to dust for 2 hours to make sure I finish strong.

It paid off! Good thing I got up early too as I had dropped to 17th. Finished 6th with exactly 66,000 points and got all three Falcon America covers. It was my first top ten finish in PvE.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    I've woken up from MPQ dreams (caused by grinding for a couple of hours and playing the first run of the next sub-event nodes and then going right to sleep I'm sure) and, unable to get back to sleep, have played a couple hours of MPQ.
  • Back when i used to play 24/24 LRs per week, i would set alarms to hit those early morning ones (1AM, 3AM, 5AM).

Now i only play 18/24 per week and just skip the ones that happen when i sleep.

Truth be told, i usually wake up for at least one of the early morning ones on Wednesday & Thursday...but not because i set an alarm...it just works out that way. My body is pretty conditioned RE LRs. icon_lol.gif

easy...marc
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    on the weekends yes cause i dont have time to grind anything so i have to jump to slice 2.. get up around 7am grind for 3 hours and then go to work...

slice 3 i wont cause i will grind at 3pm but weekends i cant start at 5pm est on new slices

i used to do it all the time for PVP until the changed the times now i only have to get up on sunday LOL
  • I had forgotten about the LRs when I posted. I love them, but I just can't see setting alarms to hit them.
  • Tom Servo wrote:
    I had forgotten about the LRs when I posted. I love them, but I just can't see setting alarms to hit them.

We've gotta earn my ISO stack somehow. And LRs are still the single best way to earn ISO in the game. I've been grinding LRs since they began and i've never been in need of ISO.

marc