** Wolverine (Astonishing X-Men) **

1235»

Comments

  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 5,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Also don't forget that 3*s back then were only level 140. As someone else pointed out in a different thread, the level cap increase is an underappreciated reason that transitioning is harder now than it was "back in the day." 2*s have a much harder time competing with max 3* rosters in pvp. You basically need to use a powerful combo team like stormneto, which means you have absolutely no defense at all.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Also don't forget that 3*s back then were only level 140. As someone else pointed out in a different thread, the level cap increase is an underappreciated reason that transitioning is harder now than it was "back in the day." 2*s have a much harder time competing with max 3* rosters in pvp. You basically need to use a powerful combo team like stormneto, which means you have absolutely no defense at all.
    Nah, that mostly comes from the powercreep of fat thor and other high health people that could actually do thing, unlike the ineffectual bulk, followed by the transition to 4*s, where even the "low health" tier people start at 10k health
  • Spoit wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Also don't forget that 3*s back then were only level 140. As someone else pointed out in a different thread, the level cap increase is an underappreciated reason that transitioning is harder now than it was "back in the day." 2*s have a much harder time competing with max 3* rosters in pvp. You basically need to use a powerful combo team like stormneto, which means you have absolutely no defense at all.
    Nah, that mostly comes from the powercreep of fat thor and other high health people that could actually do thing, unlike the ineffectual bulk, followed by the transition to 4*s, where even the "low health" tier people start at 10k health

    There's definitely a HP creep in this game. I remember WYP attributing IM40 for being the MVP on his elite tournament win because he had a good combination of power and HP, but mostly for the HP as IM40 slowed down the opponent without being totally useless like Hulk. In today's game IM40 wouldn't even count as a 'low health' guy.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 5,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phantron wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Also don't forget that 3*s back then were only level 140. As someone else pointed out in a different thread, the level cap increase is an underappreciated reason that transitioning is harder now than it was "back in the day." 2*s have a much harder time competing with max 3* rosters in pvp. You basically need to use a powerful combo team like stormneto, which means you have absolutely no defense at all.
    Nah, that mostly comes from the powercreep of fat thor and other high health people that could actually do thing, unlike the ineffectual bulk, followed by the transition to 4*s, where even the "low health" tier people start at 10k health

    There's definitely a HP creep in this game. I remember WYP attributing IM40 for being the MVP on his elite tournament win because he had a good combination of power and HP, but mostly for the HP as IM40 slowed down the opponent without being totally useless like Hulk. In today's game IM40 wouldn't even count as a 'low health' guy.

    this is all true, but I still think it is important to remember that in the before times when 2* rosters could compete for top 10 finished in pvp, they only had to punch about 45 levels over their weight. Now they have to punch 70-170 levels. Even though 2*s scale better than 3*/4*, that is still a significantly more difficult task. And, as you point out, there's the added problem that some of the newer 3* and 4* characters just have better powers now.
  • Phantron wrote:
    I played back in the day where Thorverine was at its prime, and I distinctly remember when I had enough covers to max Punisher, and thought to myself "oh god, Punisher isn't even that much better than Wolvie...". Wolvie was basically as good as Punisher back in the day, and when your competition was GSBW / pre-buff Doom, etc, Wolvie was basically as good as a top tier 3* back then.

    He's considerably better than Punisher when you start out with 6r 6g since that's 2 Feral Claws right away and probably adds about 300 worth of strike tiles before you even make your first move while the same for Punisher is not quite enough to use any moves. Without boosts he's probably not better than The Punisher but when AP+3 all boosts are just 200 iso there's really no reason not to run them, and I think boosts used to drop more frequently anyway. I know that if you hit Espionage on the right chains it's quite easy to take out The Hood by turn 3, and to put things in prespective, currently only X Force can do that with any reliability even with boosts right now (6g, match green, X Force). He's a guy responsible for making The Hood looking underpowered!

    IM40 and Patch would like a word with you. And that word is turn 3 TBTI with 80% board coverage.
  • Is there a poll for the best build for this guy? What has been the general consensus?
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    dw316 wrote:
    Is there a poll for the best build for this guy? What has been the general consensus?
    As he currently stands, yellow at 3.
  • thanos8587
    thanos8587 Posts: 653
    hurcules wrote:
    dw316 wrote:
    Is there a poll for the best build for this guy? What has been the general consensus?
    As he currently stands, yellow at 3.

    this 100%. with his green at 3 and his yellow at 5, he hits like a limp noodle and the heal is far too situational and underwhelming. i see way too many 3/5/5 wolvies. 5/5/3 all the way.
  • Thanks guys!
  • SnagglePuss
    SnagglePuss Posts: 702 Critical Contributor
    Got him running at 553 and since the health boost he's become a lot more sustainable, especially in PvP.
    He starts healing from a little under 2500hp now so can take a couple of hits and keep ticking.

    The father / Son combo is even better.
  • Completely concur. I run him at 3/5/5 with TDaken and find that he's become way better for hitting above his weight. Now he can take the brunt of a Thor(MN) Call of the Storm late game and still survive.

    He is probably the second biggest winner of the health increases, with Punisher being the first.
  • I've always run him 5/5/3 and paired with OBW as they make a wonderful high damage dealing pair with the number of tiles he can put out working with OBW's black at 5.

    Those two and CStorm were my A team all through my 2* phase and did wonders on taking down high level teams.