"Fixing" character names

Options
Chrono_Tata
Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
edited August 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
So now that Captain America (Modern), Captain America (Steve Rogers) and the Falcon (Mighty Avenger) are now known as Steve Rogers (Captain America), Steve Rogers (Super Soldier) and Sam Wilson (Falcon), can we also do another fix for Captain Marvel (Modern) and Captain Marvel (Ms. Marvel)? They need to be Carol Danvers (Captain Marvel) and Carol Danvers (Ms. Marvel). That latter one has always annoyed the hell out of me.

Also change 3-star Human Torch into a gold character while you guys are at it. :p

Comments

• M C K
    M C K Posts: 96 Match Maker
    Options
    Now that you mention it, they may have a whole lot of fixing to do at some point:
    • I'd almost be cool with leaving Thor alone...except 4hor is a completely different person. Perhaps Odinson (Thor) and Jane Foster (Thor)?
    • Any chance they implement Henry Pym as Ant-Man? Then Ant-Man (Scott Lang) becomes Scott Lang (Ant-Man).
    • Who knows how they handle Spider-Man if Superior Spider-Man ends up being a 4*. Doctor Octopus (Otto Octavius) probably become Otto Octavius (Doctor Octopus) and the 4* is Otto Octavius (Superior Spider-Man), which means 3* would be Peter Parker (Classic Spider-Man), 2* Peter Parker (Bag-Man), 1* Peter Parker (Original Spider-Man).

This doesn't even take the Ultimate imprint of Secret Wars into consideration. Reed Richards (Mister Fantastic), Reed Richards (The Maker), Reed Richards (Future Foundation Mister Fantastic)........brain hurt.
  • Yeah there are some names and covers that I don't get like star.pngstar.pngstar.png Magneto is named Classic has the classic cover and character art to match.

But Scarlet Witch is named wanda maximoff with a classic cover and modern character art?
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The Original Black Widow is Claire Voyant, not Romanav as well. She was also the 1st ever costumed female super-hero from Marvel, i think that should be acknowledged somewhere.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yeah there are some names and covers that I don't get like star.pngstar.pngstar.png Magneto is named Classic has the classic cover and character art to match.

But Scarlet Witch is named wanda maximoff with a classic cover and modern character art?
    Same thing with the other Avengers 2 promotional characters which are Quicksilver and the Vision (classic covers, cinematic universe costumes). I wish the in-game art costumes would correspond to the covers at least. Although I think those cinematic costume designs are never actually used in the main universe comics.

Still, choosing new covers could be some work, while changing the names would be trivial so I hope they can do my suggestion.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Same thing with Mick Foley (Mankind) then Mick Foley (Cactus Jack) and Mick Foley (Dude Love). I hope this will be addressed... wait what lol icon_lol.gif
  • And while they're at it, can they decide who's an Avenger, and who isn't? Astonishing Wolverine and Classic Spider-Man are, but Bag-Man, Patch, and X-Force aren't? So Patch and Bag-Man are in costumes from long before they joined the Avengers, and X-Force is in a costume Wolverine would never wear on an Avengers mission, but with that level of scrutiny, how is Ant-Man not powered up in Earth's Mightiest?
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah there are some names and covers that I don't get like star.pngstar.pngstar.png Magneto is named Classic has the classic cover and character art to match.

I agree but SW may have originally had the classic look but Marvel requested them to change it to fit the movie. QS originally had his comic costume but when the Ultron movie released, his costume changed to the movie look.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I wish they'd change back now that Ultron is out of theaters, their comic looks are great.

Also, a second for Carol Danvers (Ms. Marvel) and Carol Danvers (Captain Marvel)!
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is why you need to able to buy different costumes for your own roster instead of them coming up with a different star.png variant. Dress cyclops in whichever costume you want him in... or give costumes away as prizes for placement.

If they sold a "BAG" that you can add to any character... I'd buy it in a heartbeat and throw it on any number of my characters... lol.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    JVReal wrote:
    This is why you need to able to buy different costumes for your own roster instead of them coming up with a different star.png variant. Dress cyclops in whichever costume you want him in... or give costumes away as prizes for placement.

Put cyclops in a dress? ..that would ruin his yellow.
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I wish they'd change back now that Ultron is out of theaters, their comic looks are great.
    Seconded. I was hoping this would be the way they would introduce switchable outfits. Oh well...
    Also, a second for Carol Danvers (Ms. Marvel) and Carol Danvers (Captain Marvel)!
    Thirded!
  • PriceCzech
    PriceCzech Posts: 63 Match Maker
    Options
    Am I the only one who doesn't like the new naming convention?

"Steve Rogers" isn't the super-hero, "Captain America" is. It seems like they'd have to change quite a few more to get all of these names sorted out, and then I'm not going to know who all of these characters are when I'm looking through my roster of "Scott Lang", "Wade Wilson", "Piotr Rasputin", and many others that I won't remember.

Thoughts?
  • Maybe they should do the opposite?

Captain America (Steve Rogers), Captain America (Sam Wilson), Super Soldier (Steve Rogers), Captain Marvel (Carol Denvers), Ms Marvel (Carol Denvers), Ms Marvel (Kamala Khan)?

The problem is the inconsistency of how they have been doing, some with names, others with titles.

So they should pick one and keep it all the way, no matter how bad it will look at first.

Blade (Eric Brooks), DareDevil (Matthew Murdock) will sound terrible at first but it's something.
  • And while they're at it, can they decide who's an Avenger, and who isn't? Astonishing Wolverine and Classic Spider-Man are, but Bag-Man, Patch, and X-Force aren't? So Patch and Bag-Man are in costumes from long before they joined the Avengers, and X-Force is in a costume Wolverine would never wear on an Avengers mission, but with that level of scrutiny, how is Ant-Man not powered up in Earth's Mightiest?

I suspect Ant Man is an oversight, as he was added after the last Ultron Run. For Wolverine and Spidey, those alternate versions were not members of the avengers, and neither was the new Spider-Man (Original) which is likely why they weren't considered avengers for the boosting.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm fine with keeping it as Superhero Name (Identifier) in most cases, and Real Name (Superhero Name) when two distinct characters who can co-exist on a team share the same codename. Seems reasonably clear.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    M C K wrote:
    Now that you mention it, they may have a whole lot of fixing to do at some point:
    • I'd almost be cool with leaving Thor alone...except 4hor is a completely different person. Perhaps Odinson (Thor)
      and Jane Foster (Thor)?

I imagine the reason they don't is because her identity is meant to be a secret for the cast of Marvel plus her reveal was only in the last page of the last book of her run this year.

Yeah it was a few months ago, but I'd still consider it spoiler territory until it becomes more obvious in the stories as to who she is.
  • Cymmina
    Cymmina Posts: 413 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So now that Captain America (Modern), Captain America (Steve Rogers) and the Falcon (Mighty Avenger) are now known as Steve Rogers (Captain America), Steve Rogers (Super Soldier) and Sam Wilson (Falcon), can we also do another fix for Captain Marvel (Modern) and Captain Marvel (Ms. Marvel)? They need to be Carol Danvers (Captain Marvel) and Carol Danvers (Ms. Marvel). That latter one has always annoyed the hell out of me.

Also change 3-star Human Torch into a gold character while you guys are at it. :p

It's worth noting that Carol's Ms. Marvel has a different icon from the Captain Marvel version. All of the other character versions use the same icon.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    JVReal wrote:

Put cyclops in a dress? ..that would ruin his yellow.
    A yellow dress? With his complexion, he's really more of an "autumn".
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    M C K wrote:
    • I'd almost be cool with leaving Thor alone...except 4hor is a completely different person. Perhaps Odinson (Thor) and Jane Foster (Thor)?

In Thor's case it's because the hammer can't be used by more than one person at a time. So Thor (Modern) and Thor (Goddess of Thunder) must stay as they are - if they changed to Odinson (Thor) and Jane Foster (Thor), this would imply that they could be on the same team.

I suppose they could spend the fight throwing the hammer back and forth - it's been done in the comics between worthy wielders of Mjolnir, usually Thor and Beta Ray Bill - but it's easier from a game design perspective to restrict them.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think the only problem that Thor is facing is that soon enough he's going to be worthy again.
    Jane Thor has proved to be popular enough to stick around, and she'll be joining an Avengers lineup, but Odinson isn't being written out of the universe. As Secret Wars wraps up I'm sure we'll end up with a "spare" Mjolnir somehow. I know we're rapidly leaving the 3* tier behind, but a team of Thor and Thor is still going to be powerful, especially when either of them are boosted.