Characters with no debate on how they're covered?

Options
2»

Comments

• Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options
    ShionSinX wrote:
    After the nerf, 5 yellow to deal with enemy CD tiles (as this has been removed from some others) is also an option. I think it's easier to have a 355 thoress than a 535 Jean if you are a F2P player.

It is also presumptuous to assume that F2P players are going to have an "ideally" built 4*.

For instance, my Thoress has 5 yellow covers because that's how the covers fell. icon_e_smile.gif
  • ShionSinX wrote:
    After the nerf, 5 yellow to deal with enemy CD tiles (as this has been removed from some others) is also an option. I think it's easier to have a 355 thoress than a 535 Jean if you are a F2P player.

So one post you mention having multiples of the same 4* covered different ways, and now we are discussing F2P's.. I am so confused icon_razz.gif

Thors yellow at 3 or 5 changes 3 tiles. I would not play Thor for that. Antman blue can do the same thing and you get to keep the tiles (plus the possibility for a 10k attack). Thors yellow could easily buff the opponent (matching the charge tiles).

Bleh, anyway, all the power in the world for you to play 3/5/5, but I don't think it's the ideal build. In fact, if I see a 3/5/5 thor in PVP i wouldn't hesitate to attack it.
  • I didn't knew antman could steal CD tiles. Live and learn I guess.

And you are confused, really? She's been on table for quite some time and I think someone who got all free covers could have at least 3 or 4 of her fully covered.
  • ant man can't do countdown tiles. Sorry, I didn't realize you mentioned CD's. I guess 4* thor with 4 yellow can get countdown tiles, that's kind of cool but I have a purple jean which works much better.

Situational uses though don't destroy the idea of an 'ideal' build. As an example, 5 yellow into 3* cap could save your life in a game or two, but I would still argue that 3/5/5 is the only build.
  • Lcap is an exception, not the rule. This because his power is terrible, extremely expensive. With that amount of ap you could make a combo and kill someone.

But then, on pve (which is not out of the box as all new releases are made) she works very well with a 355 build (or 445) as there are other better red users, specially with the current buff rotation format. Cyke is just a monster.
  • GMadMan040
    GMadMan040 Posts: 207
    Options
    Steve Rogers is an absolute must at 3/5/5. Any other build makes very little sense.

There's a lot more, I'm sure, but this one comes to mind very strongly.

Oh yeah, because I blast fools with his blueflag.png and redflag.png all day.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is why they need a generic pool of 13 covers and you can go in and plus or minus them before each fight and switch between covers without having to destroy a cover when you re-spec them.

Or you can have a pool of 15 covers, 5 of each color, and you can only assign 13 of them, to prevent people from gathering 10 red covers and assigning them to the other colors.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I am going for 5/5/3 on Thoress.. the ability to destroy CD tiles, especially with XDP, Kingpin, Fury, Ant-Man, XFW, SL, all making CD's... i think she is the only 4* with CD destruction right now.
  • Malcrof wrote:
    I am going for 5/5/3 on Thoress.. the ability to destroy CD tiles, especially with XDP, Kingpin, Fury, Ant-Man, XFW, SL, all making CD's... i think she is the only 4* with CD destruction right now.
    I don't think it works this way. She doesn't destroy the tiles, she changes them to charged tiles so most likely it works like Jean purple that turns them to basic tiles and don't trigger the XDP CFW damage, or Falcon and lcap that also overwrite the tiles.

And also, Jean does a better job as her damage is very high.
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Looking through my roster, I would say these are the ones I haven't seen much debate on:
    5/3/5 Black Panther
    5/3/5 Loki
    5/3/5 Psylocke
    3/5/5 LCap
    3/5/5 LThor
    5/3/5 GSBW
    5/5/3 Deadpool (3*)
    3/5/5 Spider-Man
    5/3/5 Hulk
    5/5/3 Beast

There are probably a few more that I think shouldn't have a debate (like 4/4/5 Ares), but I didn't include them because some people (incorrectly) think differently.
  • Looking through my roster, I would say these are the ones I haven't seen much debate on:
    5/3/5 Black Panther
    5/3/5 Loki
    5/3/5 Psylocke
    3/5/5 LCap
    3/5/5 LThor
    5/3/5 GSBW
    5/5/3 Deadpool (3*)
    3/5/5 Spider-Man
    5/3/5 Hulk
    5/5/3 Beast

There are probably a few more that I think shouldn't have a debate (like 4/4/5 Ares), but I didn't include them because some people (incorrectly) think differently.
    From this list I can, without thinking too deep, point five that can use a different build and still do the job.

For example, 553 Lthor to feed green someone else (Jean?); 553 gsbw if not PX bombing, but using a 553 kk to feed green. Psy, spider and loki were mentioned in this thread alredy.
  • We aren't looking for ways to validate different builds, we are purely talking about the ideal build for a character. I think it's not outside the realm to have second versions of character, and make a separate build that is more 'combo' oriented. But if a new player is joining and they want to know the best build, you would never tell them 5/5/3 for Thor. No way in a million years. If you did you would be gimping them.

With essentials so important, you need your characters to be in their ideal build to maximize when they are boosted. Intentionally gimping arguably their best ability will make you a target in PVP and you will have a much more difficult time being successful in both PVE and PVP.

A personal example. I got some good green covers for carnage early, so as I built my KK I made her 5/5/3. Well, I have moved on from using her with Carnage (though it's still a decent combo) but she can't stand alone. She is only a green producer and a healer. If I had her at 5 green she could just wreck PVP/PVE battles when she is boosted ( I think its around 5k to all characters boosted). So, would I tell anyone to build her 5/5/3? Heck no! They might not take my advice because they want to use her in a combo, but you are missing out on so much potential by not having 5 green.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ShionSinX wrote:
    Looking through my roster, I would say these are the ones I haven't seen much debate on:
    5/3/5 Black Panther
    5/3/5 Loki
    5/3/5 Psylocke
    3/5/5 LCap
    3/5/5 LThor
    5/3/5 GSBW
    5/5/3 Deadpool (3*)
    3/5/5 Spider-Man
    5/3/5 Hulk
    5/5/3 Beast

From this list I can, without thinking too deep, point five that can use a different build and still do the job.

For example, 553 Lthor to feed green someone else (Jean?); 553 gsbw if not PX bombing, but using a 553 kk to feed green. Psy, spider and loki were mentioned in this thread alredy.

Your own roster kinda proves ebola's point. Your argument is weakened by the fact that you don't have the builds you're saying are viable. You have a 355 Thor, a 535 GSBW, 535 Loki, 535 Psylocke, etc.
  • It only proves I use different teams, doesn't invalidates other options.

If I had a 535 Jean I sure as hell would have both a 553 Lthor and kk.
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ShionSinX wrote:
    It only proves I use different teams, doesn't invalidates other options.

If I had a 535 Jean I sure as hell would have both a 553 Lthor and kk.

If I had a 535 Jean I wouldn't be pairing her with LThor or KK. I would be using Jeanbuster or some other 4* combo.

I have never seen any advocate a 5/5/3 GSBW for any reason. Purple is her best move, and the jump from 4 to 5 green triples its damage capabilities by making it AOE.

Your hypothetical teams for alternate Spidey/Psylocke builds aren't really that great.

Even if you ran 5/5/3 Spidey with 3/5/5 Cage (a build I don't agree with either, but I can see why people debate), his purple is still going to create protect tiles that will prevent Cage from popping his out, they will just be ****. I'm not sure why you would pair Cage with Spider-Man anyway. Cage already has stun and damage mitigation, so why not bring someone who can actually damage the enemy with him, especially since you are gimping Cage's yellow to the point of uselessness.

Same with Psylocke/Fist. If you aren't going to actually use the black generated by Fist purple, don't bring someone like Psylocke on your team. In fact, don't bring Psylocke on your team, ever. Unless she is one of the only 3* characters you have maxed, in which case you want her 5/3/5.

With Loki, I don't see any justification for something besides 5/3/5 in this thread. One person mentioned going 3/5/5, 4/4/5, or 5/5/3 for Loki due to playing style, but I can't think of what play style would favor one of those builds except an incorrect play style. Mischief has to be 5. Simulators have been run to show that the difference between 3 and 5 purple is negligible in terms of AP generation. If you are bringing Loki into a fight for his black, you are more than likely going to be trying to convert more than 3-5 enemy tiles, as otherwise it would probably make more sense to bring someone with a damaging black.

For the characters I mentioned, the other builds might still be able to do the job, but they will do the job relatively poorly.