Characters with no debate on how they're covered?

Options
20three
20three Posts: 371
edited August 2015 in MPQ Character Discussion
What are some characters that don't even have an option (that can be taken seriously) on how they should be maxed covered?

Loki

Comments

• I would say the thors that aren't goddess are ones that have only one option. And even goddess has only one option to most people(not me) I think there are a lot of characters that have a single way to build them and lately it's really only the newer ones who have variety. Sw/Kamala/cyclops/cage all come to mind. A lot of people will say one thing but some people will disagree and use them for another and they work just fine that way.

Even xpool has that going for him. So for me it's pretty easy to say a lot of the old characters have "one build" and a lot of the newer ones don't.
  • Not trying to be a ****, but I think the better question is which characters have debate for how they are covered. I would say most characters have an ideal build.
  • barrok wrote:
    Not trying to be a ****, but I think the better question is which characters have debate for how they are covered. I would say most characters have an ideal build.
    In whose opinion? It's the opposite, most characters do not have one optimal build as it depends on partners and/or playstyle.

One can say Hood best build is 553 but a 355 kingpin disagrees and says 355 is the one true Hood build.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    OBW 3/5/5...
    Psylocke 5/3/5 (i mean, how much AP are you actually going to get with her blue)
    3* Spiderman 3/5/5 (never seen an argument for any other build)
    3* DP 5/5/3 .. most people like him in the Alive position.
  • You can look at the build polls on each character. A majority of them will have an overwhelming percentage for one particular build.

Just because a character could have a different build when combined with another character doesn't make the build the 'ideal' build. That's not to discourage players from messing around with different builds, but there is usually one 'best' build and sometimes a fringe build.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    OBW 3/5/5...
    Psylocke 5/3/5 (i mean, how much AP are you actually going to get with her blue)

I think OBW as a 5/5/3 is fine. The extra AP cost complaints come from the days before SW. Her passive doesn't fire all that often when you bring her in with 3* and 4* friends. Plus, I prefer getting the team-up at 5 covers.
  • Malcrof
    Options
    Buret0 wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    OBW 3/5/5...

I think OBW as a 5/5/3 is fine. The extra AP cost complaints come from the days before SW. Her passive doesn't fire all that often when you bring her in with 3* and 4* friends. Plus, I prefer getting the team-up at 5 covers.

But i am pretty sure most agree on Psylocke at least. Possibly even Spidey.
  • Buret0
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:

TBH, my interest in covering 3* spidey is so low that I couldn't even tell you the difference between 3 and 5 covers on his abilities. icon_e_smile.gif

I like Psylocke's blue, but only about as much as I like Psylocke... which isn't much. To me the only interesting thing she does is with her blue, so I would cover that for that reason alone. Though, saying that, I couldn't tell you the difference between 4 and 5 blue covers anyway. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Malcrof
    Options
    Buret0 wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:

TBH, my interest in covering 3* spidey is so low that I couldn't even tell you the difference between 3 and 5 covers on his abilities. icon_e_smile.gif

I like Psylocke's blue, but only about as much as I like Psylocke... which isn't much. To me the only interesting thing she does is with her blue, so I would cover that for that reason alone. Though, saying that, I couldn't tell you the difference between 4 and 5 blue covers anyway. icon_e_smile.gif

1 turn on the cd tile is the diff between 4 and 5 covers in blue.
  • Buret0
    Options
    I think this demonstrates that there's still a lot of debate over how to 'best' cover most of the top characters in the game:

4*s:

Jeanie - 5/3/5 is the way I went because I'm more interested in the 2-turn stun than the AP drain and +damage.
    Carnage - I've got him 5/3/5, but I would argue that I'd rather see him at 5/5/3.
    4Pool - I went 5/3/5, but I could see ANY combination being great. XF wants X/X/5, Thing wants X/5/X.
    Hulkbuster - 5/5/3... anyone want to argue that? I have him at 0/5/5 and getting a lot of use as a pure battery (NBC).
    PX - 5/3/5 is how I have him, but I could see 5/5/3 as being better for Profinite uses.
    Fury - 3/5/5? Demolition is a no-brainer, but do people take AA over EP?
    4hor - 1/5/2? Anyone think there's a better build? Or do I just need some covers? 5/3/5 to max stun and smite?
    IW - 3/5/5? I really don't know the best way to build or use her.
    Thing - 5/5/3? 4/5/4? 5/3/5? 3/5/5? I think there's some debate over this, but with Thing becoming BFFs with X/5/X Deadpool, I could see a lot of 5/5/3 4Ps with 3/5/5 Things.
    Starlord - ??? 4/5/4?
    Kingpin - 5/5/3 or 5/3/5? I think you need to max out the poke of Fisk, and I like his purple steal.
    X-Force - 3/5/5, 4/5/4, or 5/5/3? Post nerf, the only thing people agree on is that his board shake is weaker and that his black is still a must have. I think that with his health being on the low end of 4*s, his yellow doesn't need to be 5 covers, except that the damage + board shake is sweet.
    Elektra - No brainer. 3/5/5.
    Ant-man - I'm still a 5/3/5 fan. Anyone want to convince me otherwise?
    Devil Dinosaur - 5/3/5 or 5/5/3... does it matter?
    Captain Falcon - 3/5/5 or 5/3/5? I think X/X/5 is a certainty.

As far as 3*s go, there are some that don't matter (like QS, Rags, Spiderman), some that are up for debate (SW (though the hexbolt fix might have removed that debate), KK), and many that are plain and obvious (Hulk, Fist, Cyclops, GSBW)

Considering the importance of pairings, the only way to change how a character must be covered is to introduce a powerful character that pairs really well with an alternative covering.
  • Unknown
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    Buret0 wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    OBW 3/5/5...

Let's say you like to run cage and spider. Cage 355 is legit, so a 553 spider is totally viable there.

Then you like your 355 IF, no problem running with a 553 Psy as you can get cheap purple nuke as long as you don't use her black, and using her black also stops him from generating a strong attack tile if it is destroyed. But she'd steal ap and enhance his attack tile with her strikes.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    All characters will have popular builds, some have niche builds, I don't think other than the 5/5 guys in the 1* land, that there is an only 1 build.

However........there are a few that are "you better have a darn good reason not to build that way" kind of mentality. With 4*'s I honestly could see any build with except Goddess, other than 5/3/5 you better have a good reason

3*'s--Beast if you go more than 3 yellow you better have a reason
    --Captain America, why would you ever not go 3/5/5?
    --Psylocke, there is not many reasons to make blue any more than 3
    --Spiderman, hard to make a case for more than 3 yellow

Short of those everything has it's moment given the right comp and enviornment
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    However........there are a few that are "you better have a darn good reason not to build that way" kind of mentality. With 4*'s I honestly could see any build with except Goddess, other than 5/3/5 you better have a good reason
    Like HB + thoress, where you will not use her red?
  • ShionSinX wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Like HB + thoress, where you will not use her red?

Why would you play those two together? If it's for a stun, you can probably pick someone else who wouldn't have redundant abilities. If you want Goddess for her yellow, other characters can do a better job of that too.
  • Both have a big heath pool and if boosted together I don't see why not. Red charged tiles also help HB.
  • So you would respec her best build (5/3/5) to (3/5/5) just to play her with HB when they are both boosted? That seems insane.
  • Buret0
    Options
    barrok wrote:
    Why would you play those two together? If it's for a stun, you can probably pick someone else who wouldn't have redundant abilities. If you want Goddess for her yellow, other characters can do a better job of that too.

Since I'm in the "Thoress isn't that great post nerf" group, I would agree that there are so many better ways to use Red that I probably could accept 5 yellow.

I don't see Thoress as a go to, but rather would slot her in for niche matches. Like she's fantastic at 3/5/5 against 4Pool and Thing. She takes so long to set up her Smite that you are just burning health packs to set up a move that does less damage than some boosted 3*s and all of the newer 4*s.
  • Why respec when you can build a second? Or maybe you like to use her with another 4* like carnage too?
  • Ok, building a second. I assumed, incorrectly apparently, that we were referring to ideal builds on characters. If you can have 3 of every character and have them specced out accordingly, then sure, you can play barbies and mix and match all day. But most of us will only have 1 copy of a character and lucky to get fully covered (especially 4*'s).

I would argue that Jean's purple is better than Thors yellow, and I would prefer to bring her along before Thor. I can't see a world where I would play 4thor with 3/5/5 but I guess to each there own.

Edit: I would rather have Antman or Jean again, to mix with Carnage. But like you said, if you have unlimited roster spots and characters then you can always find a way to take advantage of certain colors, but that doesn't mean it's the ideal build.
  • After the nerf, 5 yellow to deal with enemy CD tiles (as this has been removed from some others) is also an option. I think it's easier to have a 355 thoress than a 535 Jean if you are a F2P player.