So, playing for the fun of the game. Your Thoughts?

2»

Comments

• Match 3? Check.

The mechanic is just so simple, elegant, and satisfying.

Marvel characters? Check.

Being one of those nerds who enjoyed superheroes LONG before it was acceptable to do so, it's really sweet to have such a great variety of mediums within which to fully enjoy them, and the bones of MPQ represent far-and-away one of my personal favorite juxtapositions of elements.

Beyond that, I've noticed that playing in an alliance with some cool guys and gals has been far more enjoyable than I would have thought it could be.

Something about having a crew of like-minded people with similar goals and attitudes has probably kept me around as much as DDQ and now the A-M event have.

As others have said, the game has also become far more enjoyable for me since I essentially bailed on PvE entirely, started sticking my head into PvP a bit (2 recent T25s) but without any real commitment or intent, and messing around with the PvP simulator.

In essence, playing the game more as a game than as a second job.

DBC
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    I have a lot more fun when I'm not playing competitively. Maybe that's just because the wife isn't giving me the stink-eye all night because I'm not tied to my phone all night anymore. icon_lol.gif

I play DDQ. I love the new SHIELD Sim reward system. I really like the alliance community I'm a part of. I've always loved comic culture, but never been a collector. I like using the mobile and social games to learn more about the Marvel universe.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you are playing for fun you are playing to win because losing sucks!
    The question is what is winning. It used to be about how high could I place in PVE and PVP. Then it became how high could I place in PVP. Now it is about progressing with 4*.
    PVE is about resources, and PVP is about the 1000 progression cover. I keep telling myself I really need to try and hit the 1300 progression cover, but then I realize how much of a pain it will be for me to time my game play. So I am patient and aim for 1000 points in PVP to slowly grow my 4*
  • Alzulra
    Alzulra Posts: 18
    I like match-3 games. I like Marvel comics. Therefore, I like MPQ. I actually started playing due to an ad in Plants vs. Zombies 2 (which, ironically, I haven't touched since I started playing MPQ over a year ago).

It helps that I'm a medium-intensity player. I love doing well and being competitive, but I also don't feel bad about 'only' scoring 500 points if I'm busy with work or friends. MPQ is just a supplement to my life - I don't want it to BE my life.

I lucked into an alliance that was pretty great. Some of us are chattier than others, but it's an overall welcoming and supportive group. It's a little funny because we are casualish (literally, we got together because we just wanted alliance-level rewards and the only requirement is you play daily... I think we've only booted 3 or 4 people in our entire existence) but are easily scoring T250 and might even start touching T100 in the next few seasons. I love watching my alliance go from mostly 2* developing rosters to now mostly solid 3* rosters.

If MPQ ever stops being fun, I'll stop playing. I used to play WoW with a pretty hardcore raiding guild back in the day, but when I started to prefer going to my job that paid me real-life dollars over going to my job that paid me in pretty pixels, I knew it was time to walk away.
  • ejmus
    ejmus Posts: 55 Match Maker
    Great thread, thank you for posting it.

Lots of fun aspects unique to the game, as mentioned, the overall rpg strategy combined with the quick match3 play combined with fun powers.

The number one thing for me however is the matching of the characters in unique fun combinations. There are so many, and I love to think them over even when not otherwise involved with the game. When I find a new one I enjoy, like kk+rg, I'll jump in with them even for small rewards, just to see where I can take them. As long as that continues I'll keep looking over the more annoying aspects. Cheers!
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Uh, I pretty much play when and however much I want to.

I try to do a minimum of the two Taco Token nodes + the 3* cover node in DDP every day, and then if I'm not doing something, I'll pop open MPQ and see if any events are coming close to a close - if they are I'll jump in and play for an hour or two, if not I'll usually just go on to a different game or a different type of entertainment.

I'll jump over to FF:RK and use my stamina up and check MPQ again. Play Tap Titans until I hit a hump, check MPQ.

DDP makes it so I am pretty much always progressing, and progressing well in comparison to the twenty or so minutes I might be investing. Plus, I can play pretty much whatever team I want in those nodes and win with some patients.
  • Pessi
    Pessi Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    Being a father of 3 I don't get my playstation or PC gaming time anywhere near what I used to, so I fill the void with quick mobile games. I've tried a lot and MPQ is coming up to be one of the best - I'd stop playing if it wasn't fun.

The community is good - more adult than some games

The game play is simple but takes time to master fully

The competition is good and if you set realistic goals they aren't a chore (I aim for top 50 pve and 300+ pvp to gain the most rewards vs time).

The paywall isn't huge (though I would recommend buying HP for slots early so you maximize your spend). I expect this to increase once i'm more solidly into 3* land, but I'm at 53 slots so guess this isn't a problem for a while.

The customer service is exceptional - you might scoff at this but compared to other games I have nothing but praise.

I love opening a gold tokens, or the surprise at getting 3***'s from standards.

Changes to essential characters and DDQ have been a nice quality of life change.