Why we need more 4*s

13»

Comments

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pylgrim wrote:
    How's two 4*s per month too much? Is exactly the same situation as 3*s circa a year ago
    We don't get a PvP where you can win 4 4* covers.

We don't get 4*s as PvE progression award.

Except for Carnage-style glitches, 4*s don't end up as repeat prizes in PvE

4* covers cost twice as much if you want to buy to fill the last 2-3 empty covers.

4*s cost about 3x as much ISO to max out.

But yeah, except for all that it's exactly the same.
  • Square
    Square Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
    wymtime wrote:
    This means you are either spending 500 HP or managing your life around shield cool downs.
    <snip>
    For Deadpool you are only going for top 100 and one cover and the current rotation of 4* is set in place.
    I spend about 450 HP average. But I manage my playtime around shield cool downs, not my life. It's a big difference. It's rare that I put myself out to play. But I think about when I'll be busy before I climb, so in that way, math is involved.

For Deadpool, I may not bother. I was top 20 with Jean Grey, and it wasn't pleasant. I was pretty sick of level 300 Venom by the end of a week. I'll take it slow with getting Deadpool. Can't have everything all the time.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:
    How's two 4*s per month too much? Is exactly the same situation as 3*s circa a year ago

4* covers cost twice as much if you want to buy to fill the last 2-3 empty covers.

It really amazes me how people like Pylgrim says what he has said here... (And I am not trying to insult anyone, but I really cant understand how anybody could compare 3s to 4s).

And it is not that we dont want new 4, just that we dont want them released as fast, one new 4 a month is more than enough, and then we can get a new 3 so people doing the 2-3 transition has new content too.

Have you thought that now the rotation for all 4s is longer than a seson? When Cap will be released (15 - 4s) we will need a season and a half to do one rotation! 45 days! And the chances to get any particular 4 in tokens will be even slower!

I just get to 1000 and the 2000 progression, no number 1 position, no 1300, I dont have time for that, so being optimistic and counting I win 2 covers in the PvE where the 4 is presented that is 45x10! More than 8 months ! ( and not counting that each new 4 makes things worse, ant at this pace in 8 months we will have 16 new 4s, and probably one or two 5s!!! )

And If it is hard for me that I have all 3s, allmost all of them cover maxed, and 4 4s covered and maxed (well at 223). Imagine for new players... This seems more hard work than my own work!
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:

It really amazes me how people like Pylgrim says what he has said here... (And I am not trying to insult anyone, but I really cant understand how anybody could compare 3s to 4s).

And it is not that we dont want new 4, just that we dont want them released as fast, one new 4 a month is more than enough, and then we can get a new 3 so people doing the 2-3 transition has new content too.

Have you thought that now the rotation for all 4s is longer than a seson? When Cap will be released (15 - 4s) we will need a season and a half to do one rotation! 45 days! And the chances to get any particular 4 in tokens will be even slower!

I just get to 1000 and the 2000 progression, no number 1 position, no 1300, I dont have time for that, so being optimistic and counting I win 2 covers in the PvE where the 4 is presented that is 45x10! More than 8 months ! ( and not counting that each new 4 makes things worse, ant at this pace in 8 months we will have 16 new 4s, and probably one or two 5s!!! )

And If it is hard for me that I have all 3s, allmost all of them cover maxed, and 4 4s covered and maxed (well at 223). Imagine for new players... This seems more hard work than my own work!

But... 4*s are not for new players. That's the crux of the issue. They exist to give veterans something to strive towards. Before the switch into our current 4* new character paradigm, we were almost max-covering new 3* characters before the next one came around, and since all 3*s should have a similar ceiling of power, it is very difficult to create a new 3* that will not be immediately disregarded and fallen into misuse because it cannot possibly creep any higher in power than those characters already pushing that ceiling (we all know who they are).

In other words, the previous paradigm of 2-3 new 3*s per new 4* was not going to be sustainable for much longer when it comes to maintain the attention and enthusiasm of vet players. Note that while I disagree that the current pace is too fast, I agree that the current influx of covers and means of acquisition (not to mention the Iso needed) are not yet par for the course. However, I am positive that over the course of the next few months, several more venues of earning 4* covers will be created (hopefully in compartmentalised ways that keep them off the hands of newer and transitioning players).
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    I agree with the OP that more 4* characters must be released, but also with the general sentiment that 4* characters are currently too difficult to cover.

I'm with others that think a DDQ-like solution is on the horizon. In fact, I've mostly stopped playing DDQ because I have all the 3* characters covered. That's not good for the Devs; they want me to play a little every day.

So, like Pylgrim, I have a lot of faith that a better solution will come about in the next 3-6 months, because it simply must. Unfortunately, 3-6 months will seem like a lifetime on the Forum.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Pylgrim wrote:
    In other words, the previous paradigm of 2-3 new 3*s per new 4* was not going to be sustainable for much longer when it comes to maintain the attention and enthusiasm of vet players. Note that while I disagree that the current pace is too fast, I agree that the current influx of covers and means of acquisition (not to mention the Iso needed) are not yet par for the course. However, I am positive that over the course of the next few months, several more venues of earning 4* covers will be created (hopefully in compartmentalised ways that keep them off the hands of newer and transitioning players).

Personally, I just don't believe they will continue this pace. They have never stuck to any one pace for long. I think they have a target amount of 4*s they want to hit to fix empty 4* land, then they will slow down and focus on other elements of the game. It's just a problem they are attempting to fix currently as fast as possible.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dauthi wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:

Personally, I just don't believe they will continue this pace. They have never stuck to any one pace for long. I think they have a target amount of 4*s they want to hit to fix empty 4* land, then they will slow down and focus on other elements of the game. It's just a problem they are attempting to fix currently as fast as possible.

Well, two 3*s per month was the pace for a good while (8 months or so? Maybe more?) except the times when they actually released three (and were given hell for it). Then it became a new character every two weeks -in average- with the third in a row being a 4*. I Very much expect we will have a similar run with 4*s (maybe punctuated a bit more often by new 3*s than new 2*s did in the previous paradigm?) until 5*s start being added, which is a matter of when, not if.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Square wrote:
    wymtime wrote:
    This means you are either spending 500 HP or managing your life around shield cool downs.
    <snip>
    For Deadpool you are only going for top 100 and one cover and the current rotation of 4* is set in place.
    I spend about 450 HP average. But I manage my playtime around shield cool downs, not my life. It's a big difference. It's rare that I put myself out to play. But I think about when I'll be busy before I climb, so in that way, math is involved.

For Deadpool, I may not bother. I was top 20 with Jean Grey, and it wasn't pleasant. I was pretty sick of level 300 Venom by the end of a week. I'll take it slow with getting Deadpool. Can't have everything all the time.
    You manage you play time around shield cool downs so if you run 3hr, 8 hr 3 hr you either are interrupting work to play a game, or you are forced to use 2 shields closer together and then wait. As much as I would like to manage my game time around shield cool downs. Work, and coaching my kids sports teams are more important than scoring 1300 points.

Also if you only spend 450 points I wish you luck getting 1st place in PVP to earn the 4* Deadpool cover. I know I will be praying to the token gods for mine.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle wrote:
    And guess what happens after enough players have most 4*s covered?
    Yup, 5* tier arrives.

This.

It just happened in Spider-Man Unlimited with the release of 8* "Titans", the new highest tier replacing 7* Legendaries.
  • Square
    Square Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
    wymtime wrote:
    You manage you play time around shield cool downs so if you run 3hr, 8 hr 3 hr you either are interrupting work to play a game, or you are forced to use 2 shields closer together and then wait. As much as I would like to manage my game time around shield cool downs. Work, and coaching my kids sports teams are more important than scoring 1300 points.

Also if you only spend 450 points I wish you luck getting 1st place in PVP to earn the 4* Deadpool cover. I know I will be praying to the token gods for mine.
    Everyone has their own schedule, but there's no reason to assume people schedule their life around a game.

As for number one, it's fair if you missed it, but I'm pretty sure in the first post, I wrote that I never try for number one. I get (usually) 2 4*s per PVP through 1300 progression. I would say my results are:
    50% top 25
    40% top 10
    10% top 5
    0% first

I play for fun, and playing for number one makes things stressful, even if it can get your adrenaline going in a fun way.
  • Most people that complain about the new 4* releases is that it is difficult to fully cover them and level up to make them usable.

The fact is, although this is a free game, like most free games, if you want to progress faster, you need to pay. Games like Clash of Clans, Age of Empires all require you to spend some money to progress fast.

You can't expect to have the best of everything without paying, even in the real world, people with the luxury cars, or the best technologies are the ones that can afford it, for everyone else, you simply have to wait for a sale, increase in pay, w/e.

To the free to play players - this game is a product, and each product takes time to be developed, their time isn't free, you wouldn't want to work for free, would you? Granted, they don't get all the profit, but if the game isn't making any money, the company isn't going to invest time into a game, if they had to pay their designers/developers and not receive profit.

Summary: If everyone was playing this game for free and spent absolutely no money, the game you play wouldn't exist, and will receive no new content, no new characters, and in no time, uninstalled.

If you aren't willing to pay, then be patient and wait 5-6 months to fully get your 4* covered (probably less, probably more), heck, my Professor X 6/13 isn't even halfway cover yet since his release and I've been playing PvP competitively. Not that I care since I can't use him with my team anyways, but even if he was super awesome, unless I pay, I'll probably still wait. So those of you who are asking for these covers to be handed to you are asking them to lose money.

No money, no game!

PS: There are max Jean Greys during the Hulk event when she isn't released yet, I'm not a whale, but I've spent money in this game, just not to that point, I would imagine to get a max Jean before her release would probably cost somewhere from $500-1000 depending on your luck. You can do it too if you want!
  • jffdougan
    jffdougan Posts: 733 Critical Contributor
    Pylgrim wrote:
    How's two 4*s per month too much? Is exactly the same situation as 3*s circa a year ago, with more or less the same availability. In other words, it's poised to improve. I really don't understand how people don't figure that /three/ weeks between a character release would be a slow slog of sameness, the only motivation to keep going being the acquisition of Iso.

Because 4* covers are, in aggregate, significantly less likely than 3* covers and much more difficult to acquire for (mostly) F2P players who cannot or will not manage their life around the schedule of PVE refreshes.