Change the stupid point system in pvp

Options
2»

Comments

• Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Cayasha wrote:
    I think the points listed when you hit fight should be the points you get. No matter what is happening to that player during the fight. I'm sure the top alliances would find a way to exploit that though.

What if you hit someone that says they are worth 30 points, but you really end up getting 60? It works both ways.
    How would the score of the player getting hit be affected? Would they lose points based on the score that they should have had based on the points you took from them, or would it be based on their current point total?
  • Unknown
    Options
    My main gripe with PVP and the thing I'd call "stupid" is the fact you lose progression for losing.

I really feel like it should be on a different track than the ranking points, so that while you can lose ranking points, your total points earned aren't affected for progression, I think it works this way for the season progression anyway?
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Haetron wrote:
    My main gripe with PVP and the thing I'd call "stupid" is the fact you lose progression for losing.

I really feel like it should be on a different track than the ranking points, so that while you can lose ranking points, your total points earned aren't affected for progression, I think it works this way for the season progression anyway?

Nope, lose points in PvP/Sim, lose points in season total/progression.

As far as this goes, progression would be trivial if they were on two separate tracks. I could quite easily push to 900, let attacks knock me back to 500, and repeat ad nauseum.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I could quite easily push to 900, let attacks knock me back to 500, and repeat ad nauseum.
    now that sounds familiar. clear a bunch of nodes and then wait for points to increase. and then do it all over again. man that sounds like something I've heard of before....
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    firethorne wrote:
    Yep. It's the completely ludicrous harebrained design. Winning in PvP has little to do with you winning or losing matches you actually play. Sure, you have to win. But the far more important part is about spending currency immediately after each win on shields so your points won't get lost when the ai inevitably loses for you.

I'd love to see it change. It is a dumb design. But...

It makes everyone spend HP, which D3 will gladly sell. Thus, it will never be changed.

What do you consider winning? If it's first or nothing, then yeah you are going to have to shield and hop constantly to win. I consider winning in PVP as getting rewards I need to progress in the game, be it covers or ISO or HP. Shields are the second best use of HP in game outside of the necessary roster slots. Weigh the cost of placing/scoring well against the cost of buying the cover directly or trying your luck with tokens.

How would you change the system to be better? Here are some things I have seen thrown around in the past:
    No point losses - Scores will become even more inflated and wins will come down to who can play the most, just like PVE.
    No more shields - Bye bye progression rewards as everyone tears down everyone else and everyone settles somewhere in the middle.
    Be able to queue shielded people - Bye bye shield hops, as it will be almost impossible to have a successful hop if you have people gunning for you specifically.
    Be unable to go below a certain point threshold after reaching it - Would be horribly exploited by top alliances.
    Unable to be attacked more than a few times in a limited time/point window - Would also be exploited.

The ultimate solution is a very simple concept. Unfortunately, it is a concept so different from what the game is, I don't think D3 has the architectural prowess or server reliability to actually make work. The answer is to look at Hearthstone. When you play PvP, all games are between two humans. If you win, your rank goes up. If you lose, your rank goes down. If you don't play, others will pass you, but no ai will ever lose your points.

That said, I don't think D3 has the technical ability like Blizzard to actually make it work. They needed to have that be the design when thinking about the game. To try and cludge it in after the fact could be a disaster. Then again, the mobile version of Injustice did put in a multiplayer mode like that well after release, so you never know.