Change the stupid point system in pvp

Options
Climbing in the Half-Inch hero pvp was a terrible experience. Not so much the climb to the 900s, but going from 900 to 1000.
I shielded at 920, a defensive win pushed me to 930 so I thought I needed 2 wins of 35 points. The first win was easy and I shielded again at 968. That's when things got crazy. I find a match worth 35, things went downhill after the enemy XF used 2x his black in 2 turns back to back after a crazy cascade and I was left with only LCap with 5k health and a ton of stupid attack tiles on the board from a 200+ level Ant-Man. Thankfully, 2 of LCap's defense tiles minimized the damage I was taking each turn. The real surprise came after the win though. I got only 12 points, apparently, since the opponent was hammered by other players. I quickly play another game (worth 30 points) I found and, once again, I won only 19. That put me at 999. Frustrated by the constant surprises, but also knowing I couldn't squeeze another game, I use a 24h shield (the only one available at the time). 1 minute later I check the game again and I see my score is 944. 1 more minute passes and I see the -55 message. At this point I am ready to fling the screen across the room, but decided to call it a day and go to bed. Thankfully a defensive win put me to 956 and a final win today for 50 gave me the 4*.

They really need to change the point system in the game to lock the points you get after a win to the number you see when you start the match. It's bad enough you run against the clock in a game where initial board setup can lose you the game before you even make a match, when you can't count on what you see on the screen, then the experience is extremely unpleasant.

Comments

• OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You haven't even hit the point where it actually becomes an issue. Please come back when you are trying for 1300 and lose full points from each hit on your way there past 1000.
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,944 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You haven't even hit the point where it actually becomes an issue. Please come back when you are trying for 1300 and lose full points from each hit on your way there past 1000.

you-can-t-sit-with-us-actress-amanda-seyfried-explains-how-hollywood-is-exactly-like-m-469213.gif

I swear OOG has gotten sassier during his tenure with the Djangos lol

Narkon, rest assured you are not the only one who has faced this issue before. Unfortunately it seems highly unlikely to be changed in the near future. I'm sure there are others who are better acquainted with the art of shield hopping than myself that can explain how to do it better but know you are not alone in your frustration.
  • Unknown
    Options
    This is not even real PVP as AI controlled opponent using the player's roster to defend. AI has limits like the L shape match 5 it always misses or the T shape match 5. Seed teams should be there scaling the higher you go rather than 'human' opponents anyway. Will get rid of the 10 point teams when in top 10 slots scrambling for those few points to hit 1000 or 1300 goals. Mix in those shield hoppers and PVP is more like a 2 day PVE but with less grinding time.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Narkon wrote:
    Climbing in the Half-Inch hero pvp was a terrible experience. Not so much the climb to the 900s, but going from 900 to 1000.
    I shielded at 920, a defensive win pushed me to 930 so I thought I needed 2 wins of 35 points. The first win was easy and I shielded again at 968. That's when things got crazy. I find a match worth 35, things went downhill after the enemy XF used 2x his black in 2 turns back to back after a crazy cascade and I was left with only LCap with 5k health and a ton of stupid attack tiles on the board from a 200+ level Ant-Man. Thankfully, 2 of LCap's defense tiles minimized the damage I was taking each turn. The real surprise came after the win though. I got only 12 points, apparently, since the opponent was hammered by other players. I quickly play another game (worth 30 points) I found and, once again, I won only 19. That put me at 999. Frustrated by the constant surprises, but also knowing I couldn't squeeze another game, I use a 24h shield (the only one available at the time). 1 minute later I check the game again and I see my score is 944. 1 more minute passes and I see the -55 message. At this point I am ready to fling the screen across the room, but decided to call it a day and go to bed. Thankfully a defensive win put me to 956 and a final win today for 50 gave me the 4*.

They really need to change the point system in the game to lock the points you get after a win to the number you see when you start the match. It's bad enough you run against the clock in a game where initial board setup can lose you the game before you even make a match, when you can't count on what you see on the screen, then the experience is extremely unpleasant.

At 900+, never take a match worth 30-40 points unless you can see the opponent on your leaderboard. That's when points are the most volatile - could go up if they're climbing, but far more likely to go down if they aren't shielding.

Sometimes I just sit around and skip for fun when shielded. You'll see a lot of points going up and down on the same person as you skip past them again and again.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This forum needs a search function. If it has a search function then the forum needs users who know how to use it.

Let's start a countdown till the next time someone opens a new thread with this same exact topic. I say in..hmm..8 days or less we see this topic again as a new thread.
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think we're due an "AI is cheating" thread first. Must be about 4 days since we last had a fresh one.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I agree. If my node says 35 pts then I should get 35 pts. It would be nice if the node points updated to the appropriate point amount, at least when I turn on the game. However there are those few times when a node yielded more pts than it showed, but those are few and far in between and do not make up the difference.

I also had this issue reaching 2000 in Shield Sim, I almost quit when I made 1999 despite my node having higher pts than I won. You just got to keep going and don't give up strike.png
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Options
    To me it's more of a bandwidth issue. Let's say D3 decides to refresh the point value on a more contemporaneous basis. How frequently should the target values be refreshed? every second? If you're a mobile player I think there's going to be a big sucking sound on your limited monthly bandwidth, with a good probability of the consumer going over his monthly allocation. And that's assuming D3's servers can even accommodate frequent refresh, which I don't think is the case.
  • RWTDBurn
    RWTDBurn Posts: 291
    edited July 2015
    Options
    puppychow wrote:
    To me it's more of a bandwidth issue. Let's say D3 decides to refresh the point value on a more contemporaneous basis. How frequently should the target values be refreshed? every second? If you're a mobile player I think there's going to be a big sucking sound on your limited monthly bandwidth, with a good probability of the consumer going over his monthly allocation. And that's assuming D3's servers can even accommodate frequent refresh, which I don't think is the case.

The simple solution here is to add a refresh button on the fight preview screen. It could easily replace the "chance to win" display as these values are always the same in PvP and honestly, who looks at them anyway. This would give the user the choice to make a client to server connection to fresh the point value. And while there is still a risk that the point value would be less that what we see due to the team getting hit by others, it would at least give you a chance to avoid those 50 point nodes that end up being worth 9 because the team didn't refresh their shield.

I know we are all tired of seeing these posts but at the same time this is a serious design flaw that needs to be addressed. Not getting the points you are told you are going to get is frustrating to the player regardless of what game it is. Until it is addressed, there are a few things you can do to at least decrease the chance of getting burned by it.

- For starters (as mentioned above), never attack a stale node unless you can verify that person's point value by looking at the top 10 or finding that alliance's current rankings on the event and looking there. If you can't do that and it's not a player that you know scores high in each event then skip it. I will often monitor the people ahead of me in the top 10 and then try to queue them up when I see them break shields. I can then save that node until they are shielded and I'm ready to hop.

- Flush the old nodes that may be in your queue right before you hop. You'll want to skip 4-6 nodes to make sure you don't get one that was actually queued up hours ago as there is no way you can trust the point value. There is a risk here though. Odds are you are attacking someone that is actively hopping and you are setting yourself up for a retaliation against you. If you do more than 2 nodes this way you're likely going to take a hit.

- Review the strength of the team. Even with a fresh node, if the team is weak for the level of points the player is at then there will be a risk that you'll get far less points than what was advertised. Weaker teams will be targeted by more people which means their point value can drop drastically when unshielded. On the flip side, if it's a maxed out 4* team then there is a much better chance that the point value will still be there or possibly worth even more if it's a known whale.

- Attack an alliance mate. Queue up one of your alliance members that is worth a lot of points and then wait until they are shielded. You can always check your alliance score to make sure they are still worth points to you. Make sure to communicate with them to verify that they are shielded at the time. Hitting an unshielded alliance mate unshielded is bad juju you don't want.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

At 900+, never take a match worth 30-40 points unless you can see the opponent on your leaderboard. That's when points are the most volatile - could go up if they're climbing, but far more likely to go down if they aren't shielding.

Sometimes I just sit around and skip for fun when shielded. You'll see a lot of points going up and down on the same person as you skip past them again and again.

The first bit of advice i really needed.. this explains quite a bit! Great strat, look for shielded peeps on the leaderboard to ensure points stay the same, and no immediate retaliation.. i may actually be able to hit 1k with this info..

Appreciate it!
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    puppychow wrote:
    no, not a constant refresh, but go grab the right points at the screen before you hit 'FIGHT'' the second time. then you know what the real value is. if they can do it after the match, why not just do it before instead? not constant refreshes - that would be considerably more load on the servers and I get that, but get to the last screen before the match starts and give it correctly then. while it would increase some server action because some would just back out if the queue number was 45 pts but the real number was 20, but to me it would be worth adding into the game, even if I had to pay a low-fee subscription for it - would be totally worth it.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Another way they could fix this would simply be to fix the points you receive at the number that's on it when you queue up. Yes, that would inject a few points into the system, but it would also subtract a few. They also need to apply the win before any losses that occur during the match, that way, if you have 970 points, and queue up a 30 point match and win, then you get the progression award. The current system adds frustration, and something more straightforward would make this a better game.
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I prefer to adapt to the system that we have, rather than keep doing the same thing and expecting different results.

Even showing you accurate points right before you enter the match wouldn't guarantee the same score when you come out of the match. How many times have we seen people complain about getting hit 5+ times during one match? Players 2-5 that hit him got less points than advertised, with the 5th one getting the short end of the stick.

If you locked the point total down to what exists, that would actually hurt me more than help. I look at the names when hitting and will save people I know will be worth more later.

Tips for the current system:
    The bigger the gap between when you queued a person and when you actually hit them, the more likely they will not be worth what it says.
    If a team with high points looks really easy to beat, chances are other people are hitting them as well, so expect to get less points if you can't confirm their current points.
    You can always see the points of your bracket top ten and anyone in a top 10 alliance. Save those queues when you get them, assuming you are at the point where you can beat their teams.
    If you climb really fast, people may still queue you at your old point value and may choose to skip you. I climbed from 650 to 1000 in 25 minutes without a single attack, then got crushed for -250 once my queue value caught up to my actual value.
    If you don't feel like shielding, make people think you are worth more than you are to get good retals for later. Climb past the point where you know you will start being hit, hang out for a bit, and then dump like 50-100 points.
    If reaching for a progression, don't just target someone that will get you to that progression. Overshoot it a bit. If you need 30 points, find a 50 pointer. It gives you a little more of a buffer.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I prefer to adapt to the system that we have, rather than keep doing the same thing and expecting different results.

Even showing you accurate points right before you enter the match wouldn't guarantee the same score when you come out of the match. How many times have we seen people complain about getting hit 5+ times during one match? Players 2-5 that hit him got less points than advertised, with the 5th one getting the short end of the stick.

If you locked the point total down to what exists, that would actually hurt me more than help. I look at the names when hitting and will save people I know will be worth more later.

Tips for the current system:
    The bigger the gap between when you queued a person and when you actually hit them, the more likely they will not be worth what it says.
    If a team with high points looks really easy to beat, chances are other people are hitting them as well, so expect to get less points if you can't confirm their current points.
    You can always see the points of your bracket top ten and anyone in a top 10 alliance. Save those queues when you get them, assuming you are at the point where you can beat their teams.
    If you climb really fast, people may still queue you at your old point value and may choose to skip you. I climbed from 650 to 1000 in 25 minutes without a single attack, then got crushed for -250 once my queue value caught up to my actual value.
    If you don't feel like shielding, make people think you are worth more than you are to get good retals for later. Climb past the point where you know you will start being hit, hang out for a bit, and then dump like 50-100 points.
    If reaching for a progression, don't just target someone that will get you to that progression. Overshoot it a bit. If you need 30 points, find a 50 pointer. It gives you a little more of a buffer.

This is excellent, but one more: Use your alliance. Just because you can't see them in your bracket, doesn't mean he's not visible to someone. When you're hopping, always try to verify before unshielding.
  • Heartburn
    Heartburn Posts: 527
    Options
    for the shield issue, it has been mention elsewhere on the forum to look at the 10 ten scores after shielding as it pings the server for an update and helps register your shield, why it doesn't when you purchase the shield....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

maybe the signal...
    left-turn-at-albuquerque.jpg
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yep. It's the completely ludicrous harebrained design. Winning in PvP has little to do with you winning or losing matches you actually play. Sure, you have to win. But the far more important part is about spending currency immediately after each win on shields so your points won't get lost when the ai inevitably loses for you.

I'd love to see it change. It is a dumb design. But...

It makes everyone spend HP, which D3 will gladly sell. Thus, it will never be changed.
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options
    firethorne wrote:
    Yep. It's the completely ludicrous harebrained design. Winning in PvP has little to do with you winning or losing matches you actually play. Sure, you have to win. But the far more important part is about spending currency immediately after each win on shields so your points won't get lost when the ai inevitably loses for you.

I'd love to see it change. It is a dumb design. But...

It makes everyone spend HP, which D3 will gladly sell. Thus, it will never be changed.

What do you consider winning? If it's first or nothing, then yeah you are going to have to shield and hop constantly to win. I consider winning in PVP as getting rewards I need to progress in the game, be it covers or ISO or HP. Shields are the second best use of HP in game outside of the necessary roster slots. Weigh the cost of placing/scoring well against the cost of buying the cover directly or trying your luck with tokens.

How would you change the system to be better? Here are some things I have seen thrown around in the past:
    No point losses - Scores will become even more inflated and wins will come down to who can play the most, just like PVE.
    No more shields - Bye bye progression rewards as everyone tears down everyone else and everyone settles somewhere in the middle.
    Be able to queue shielded people - Bye bye shield hops, as it will be almost impossible to have a successful hop if you have people gunning for you specifically.
    Be unable to go below a certain point threshold after reaching it - Would be horribly exploited by top alliances.
    Unable to be attacked more than a few times in a limited time/point window - Would also be exploited.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    How about you do not get queued up on anyone until you are over 800 points... make a rotation of increasingly harder seed teams that take you to 800 gauntlet style, after that, you fight teams that have passed the 800 mark.. so the true competition is for the 4* covers and higher...
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    How about you do not get queued up on anyone until you are over 800 points... make a rotation of increasingly harder seed teams that take you to 800 gauntlet style, after that, you fight teams that have passed the 800 mark.. so the true competition is for the 4* covers and higher...

People will complain they can't beat the hardest seed teams, like they complain they can't finish the gauntlet. Further, if everyone and their uncle can get to 800, the 800-1000 window would be even more of a bloodbath than it already is, which would lead to more frustration. Point being, someone will always complain.

There's really nothing wrong with PvP as is. Are there games with better systems? Absolutely. Does their existence matter as far as the one in MPQ? Absolutely not.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I think the points listed when you hit fight should be the points you get. No matter what is happening to that player during the fight. I'm sure the top alliances would find a way to exploit that though.