Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I stop retaliating those guys when it's time for bed
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,535 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bowgentle wrote:
    MrGaunt25 wrote:
    Probably a good time to ask a question that has bugged me for the last several PVPs. I wouldn't say that I'm 'brand new' (day 115), but can someone pls lay out exactly how to retaliate? Try as I might, I can't figure out where to retal. I'll get the "You were attacked" pop up and have clicked on player names there, but can only access their roster and get info on their alliance, and there is no 'retaliate' or 'attack' button for me? What am I missing?

Thanks.
    The red nodes are retaliation nodes.

Also, if you are shielded when they attacked you, you don't get the retal node.
  • Unknown
    Options
    morph3us wrote:
    So, occasionally when I'm playing PvP, I'll get a retaliation from someone, and lose a trivial number of points, say 9 or so. Since the retaliation is worth over 50 points, I happily whack them back.

An hour or so later, they retaliate again for another 9 points, so I whack them back for another 50+ points.

I always feel a bit bad for doing this, but points are points. I imagine the other player getting redder and redder in the face as they lose points, since they clearly don't understand how the point system works.

When should I stop farming these hapless players for retaliations? Interested to hear what other players do.
    its not about points, its about doing what the game tells you to
  • Nate7671
    Nate7671 Posts: 47
    Options
    Oh man I have been doing this all wrong (new player Day 40ish). I thought the Red buttons were a warning that the mobs were too tough for me to retaliate against and I was rerolling them.

So if I read this correctly I am better off trying to retaliate against them (assuming levels are reasonable) than finding a new opponent because the points will be higher?

Did i get that right?

Thanks
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Nate7671 wrote:
    Oh man I have been doing this all wrong (new player Day 40ish). I thought the Red buttons were a warning that the mobs were too tough for me to retaliate against and I was rerolling them.

So if I read this correctly I am better off trying to retaliate against them (assuming levels are reasonable) than finding a new opponent because the points will be higher?

Did i get that right?

Thanks

Typically, retaliation nodes are worth less, as most people only attack others that are higher in points then they currently are. If I attack someone worth 75 points to me, they will probably be able to hit me back for 1 point, so they won't bother. Occasionally, though, you run into people that will always retaliate, even if you are worth less than them.

Another thing that can happen is that they hit you because you look like you are worth more points then you actually are. This happens if they queued you up at a higher point total, but you are hit a lot between the time they queued you and the time they hit you.

There is nothing that explicitly makes a retal worth more than a normal fight.
  • Honu141
    Honu141 Posts: 84
    Options
    But they may have different values.

If it's early in an event and I have all the time in the world to play, I'll keep hitting someone and trade retals regardless of points. As francky said earlier, if I can hit them 2-3 times while they're retaliating, then I'll come out positive and hopefully make them hesitate about hitting me again. At the least, maybe I'll hit them enough times that they waste all 10 health packs trading shots.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Honu141 wrote:
    But they may have different values.

If it's early in an event and I have all the time in the world to play, I'll keep hitting someone and trade retals regardless of points. As francky said earlier, if I can hit them 2-3 times while they're retaliating, then I'll come out positive and hopefully make them hesitate about hitting me again. At the least, maybe I'll hit them enough times that they waste all 10 health packs trading shots.

Oh, absolutely, thanks to the 'discount' trading retals is pretty profitable in the early going. When I get into a 'retal war' I always hope the other half is of the same understanding ... but whether they are, the result is the same.

Since some of the posts indicate some newer players are reading ... the point penalized for a loss are reduced by the fraction of [your current score] / 1000.

So, if we both run into each other at say 400pts each, and start hitting each other (and, magically, no one else hits either player, ha):

I hit you and win 38pts (up to 438), you lose 15 (down to 385)
    You hit me back and win 43 (up to 428), I lose 14 (down to 424)
    I hit you and win 38pts (up to 462), you lose 15 (down to 413)
    You hit me back and win 43 (up to 456), I lose 14 (down to 448)

Etc, ad nauseum. As you climb the effect peters out. And if either one wipes out, or shields up, the chain breaks ... unless the other party can re-q and get it going again.

"Giving" retals is also a way to help players at lower score have a chance to climb. Yet another answer to the OP ... the attacker may be acting out of generosity, prior to shielding up.

I get slightly different figures, but the theory is the same.

If anyone wants to play with a spread sheet, here. Put your points in C5, your opponents points in C6, and see what happens. (As you don't know your opponent's points, you'll have to put in different values until I5 shows you the points gain that MPQ displays.)

The formatting isn't great, but I wanted every step of the calculation separate, for clarity. Please don't break anything.
  • san
    san Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Points are points.

There are only a few select situations when I won't retaliate.

1) the opponent has a 1* roster only (I do check rosters of everyone that hits me). Hats off to them, they beat me. Let them have the glory.

2) the opponent is inconceivably better than I am, in which case I give them time, and try and look them up on LINE to let them know I'm about to strike (i.e. someone from Deadpools/Django/XMen, etc. - I save these for later)

3) The opponent is worth less than 40 points. Anyone who retaliates, you know will retaliate again. Why risk losing points, unless they are worth quite a bit? There are always opponents you can find during the peak periods (t minus 1h/3h/8h) that are worth much more than that.
  • Unknown
    Options
    There's also an online ELO score change calculator you can use. It's the second one and you use K=75. Then enter your two scores and you can see the point value.

http://www.3dkingdoms.com/chess/elo.htm
  • Chirus
    Chirus Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Don't know if this had been mentioned or not, but some people will save a retal node in hopes that you eventually climb up higher than them. There's really no way to tell from the information on the screen. A good example of this is if an X-men or some other high caliber player hits me from below, it'll show up on my screen as 25 points or something low. I'll save it and unless I lose more points, a few hours later, it'll still show up as 25 points on my screen. If the aforementioned fellow happened to be climbing and did indeed climb higher than me, when I retal, i'll get more than 25 points back for winning. It's a bit of a hit and miss, but if you get hit low, I think it's worth saving and retal every single one of them regardless of how much value they show up on your screen. There's of course the risk that the original attacker just did one attack and didn't climb at all. Then you have the result that the OP mentioned and he got little to no points for his efforts.

Good to think outside the box every now and then.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Chirus wrote:
    Don't know if this had been mentioned or not, but some people will save a retal node in hopes that you eventually climb up higher than them. There's really no way to tell from the information on the screen. A good example of this is if an X-men or some other high caliber player hits me from below, it'll show up on my screen as 25 points or something low. I'll save it and unless I lose more points, a few hours later, it'll still show up as 25 points on my screen. If the aforementioned fellow happened to be climbing and did indeed climb higher than me, when I retal, i'll get more than 25 points back for winning. It's a bit of a hit and miss, but if you get hit low, I think it's worth saving and retal every single one of them regardless of how much value they show up on your screen. There's of course the risk that the original attacker just did one attack and didn't climb at all. Then you have the result that the OP mentioned and he got little to no points for his efforts.

Good to think outside the box every now and then.

Advanced class; if they are in a top 10 alliance you can see their point totals anytime from looking at Alliance Rank>Top Ranked> tap on the score displayed and you'll see the current player contributions to that score. It's up to date and you can use the calculator I posted earlier to figure out what they're worth to you in real time.