Retaliations from people not understanding the point system

Options
morph3us
morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
edited July 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
So, occasionally when I'm playing PvP, I'll get a retaliation from someone, and lose a trivial number of points, say 9 or so. Since the retaliation is worth over 50 points, I happily whack them back.

An hour or so later, they retaliate again for another 9 points, so I whack them back for another 50+ points.

I always feel a bit bad for doing this, but points are points. I imagine the other player getting redder and redder in the face as they lose points, since they clearly don't understand how the point system works.

When should I stop farming these hapless players for retaliations? Interested to hear what other players do.

Comments

• FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Really whenever you feel like stopping.

I avoid hitting them less because I'm being nice but their lack of understanding of the points system convinces me that they must hemorrhage points quite frequently and probably aren't worth anything anymore.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I only fight battle of 37 + and almost never retaliate. I have a general understanding of the point system, but have no idea how it is computed. Is there a formula ?
  • FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Google ELO. It's something like 75 * (1 - (1 / (1 + 10^(D/400)))) where D is opponent score - your score. But I'm doing this from memory so it might be wrong.
  • morph3us
    Options
    What Kiwi said, with regards the formula.

Here's a snip from Will from another thread.
    Q: Can you give us the complete algorithm for figuring out how many points you’ll lose or gain?
    A: The scoring system is based on the Elo rating system, but the formula for that is too complex to put here without mathematical notation. Check Wikipedia if you’re interested. But the algorithm goes something like this:
    Start with the points change given by the Elo rating system, with a k-value of 75.
    If the loser’s score is <=1000, multiply their loss by (their score / 1000).
    If the winner was the defender, divide their gain by 3.
    Round the result.

Q: Yeah, that’s too much math. How about some more examples?
    A: OK! Here you go:

A (500) attacks B (500): If A wins, A gains 38, B loses 19. If A loses, A loses 19, B gains 13.
    A (200) attacks B (500): If A wins, A gains 64, B loses 32. If A loses, A loses 2, B gains 4.
    A (500) attacks B (200): If A wins, A gains 11, B loses 2. If A loses, A loses 32, B gains 21.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I come from the heartless pits of Call of Duty and Diablo II; if you don't know how something works and you want to win, you find out how that thing works, or you lose.
  • SnagglePuss
    SnagglePuss Posts: 702 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Secret admirer that wants to give you points?
  • OneenO
    OneenO Posts: 75 Match Maker
    Options
    morph3us wrote:
    When should I stop farming these hapless players for retaliations? Interested to hear what other players do.

Never!!!! Its not your fault there stupid. Like you said points are points. Attack until they give up or the points arent worth it.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It really depends on what points you are on. I guess it's not so high that you're shielded and shield-hopping, so let's assume it's around 500.

For you to lose 9 points, the opponent would have been on 690 or so. He'd have gained 19 points for the win. The key thing is that his gain is not the same as your loss.

Now you're on 491, he's on 709, you retaliate, gaining 58, he loses 41. Again, it's not the same.

If he retaliates, it's 668 to 549, win 25, loss 14. And so on. In isolation, going back and forth, you get to around 670 each then start climbing. After 40 battles you're both over 800.

Anyway, am I alone in seeing the irony in the thread title?
  • Unknown
    Options
    X23 wrote:
    I only fight battle of 37 + and almost never retaliate. I have a general understanding of the point system, but have no idea how it is computed. Is there a formula ?

Ballpark is 38 for same score, 10 points for first 100 difference, 9 points for next 100, 8 points for next 100, 6 points for next 100, and 4 points for next 100. Everything past 500 is worth 75. Its not completely accurate, but if you are judging from a leaderboard, it will get you pretty close, since your queue score will likely be way off.
  • morph3us
    Options
    Moon Roach wrote:
    It really depends on what points you are on. I guess it's not so high that you're shielded and shield-hopping, so let's assume it's around 500.

For you to lose 9 points, the opponent would have been on 690 or so. He'd have gained 19 points for the win. The key thing is that his gain is not the same as your loss.

Now you're on 491, he's on 709, you retaliate, gaining 58, he loses 41. Again, it's not the same.

If he retaliates, it's 668 to 549, win 25, loss 14. And so on. In isolation, going back and forth, you get to around 670 each then start climbing. After 40 battles you're both over 800.

lol, fair point. I was pretty early in my climb, and playing very intermittently, so was only at 300 points-ish. Interesting, though, that's a lot of battles for both of us to start "net" climbing. Also, maths is not my strong point icon_e_smile.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    Moon Roach wrote:

I see your point, but honestly, It's mind-boggling that anyone take 40 battles to get to 800. Also, you're never in "isolation". Hits will be coming in from all directions.

I think the OP has a fair point, I never knew how the points system worked until my good alliance (bless them) taught me how to play PvP properly and the mechanics of it. If what the 2 players are doing is intentional (though i seriously doubt it), then there's no discussion. He's referring to those poor noobs (bless them more) who don't know better.

So I think the real question would be: How can we educate them so they have a better understanding of the PvP mechanics, as not all of them are on the forum or in experienced PvP alliances? Or do we leave them to sink or swim in the deep end of PvP, and enjoy the easy points that're coming our way?
  • franckynight
    franckynight Posts: 582 Critical Contributor
    Options
    consensus thinking is that its safe hitting high points targets cause you wont get any retalation.. you re too low to be worth the pain.. and thats why a lot of guys let ppl climb waiting for them to reach the 1k-1,2 k plateau to hit them for juicy points.. personnally its according to the situation.. sometimes its a random hit from someone clearing a retal after i hit him hours ago on my climb or from ppl that kept my q from a previous hop.. things happened and i dont mind.. so no retal.. other times, its from ppl that specifically target me.. then i always retal even for 1 point.. and if im not that high (under 1200-1300), i may either go on a retal war (if im hitting you thrice for 20 whereas you hit me once for 40 you' re still losing points), or dump points to climb again on the back of my offender..that way ppl think twice about hitting you even when you're worth 75.. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Deadpooool wrote:
    Moon Roach wrote:

I see your point, but honestly, It's mind-boggling that anyone take 40 battles to get to 800. Also, you're never in "isolation". Hits will be coming in from all directions.

I think the OP has a fair point, I never knew how the points system worked until my good alliance (bless them) taught me how to play PvP properly and the mechanics of it. If what the 2 players are doing is intentional (though i seriously doubt it), then there's no discussion. He's referring to those poor noobs (bless them more) who don't know better.

So I think the real question would be: How can we educate them so they have a better understanding of the PvP mechanics, as not all of them are on the forum or in experienced PvP alliances? Or do we leave them to sink or swim in the deep end of PvP, and enjoy the easy points that're coming our way?

Unless you're at the high end, over 800 points or whatever the cut-off was, you don't lose as many points for a defeat as the winner gains. And if you lose, you lose bugger-all.

If I'm starting off at 101 after my 3 seed teams and see someone on 800 points who is worth 74 to me, if I win he loses 59, if I lose I lose 0 and he gains 0. It's always worth a punt, all you can really lose is 3 health packs.

I think everyone should know about this, but education is difficult.

First problem - informing the opponent that there's such a thing as the forum. On Steam, the R79 announcement links here, the forum link takes you to a forum within Steam. Yeah, I didn't know that either. Help in Steam opens up a blank email that you can fill in and send. Android's better, but not by much.

Second problem - getting the information as to how it works. When the algorithm changed, we got nothing of the details, we had to ask and Will answered my example scenarios. Yeah, once we knew it was ELO we could look it up on wikipedia, and make a spread sheet that calculates gains and losses, but it isn't easy to describe in a few short sentences.

Third problem - making the information available. We could put something together and post it to the Tips forum, but within a couple of days it will be down on page 10. We'd have to get a mod to sticky it, or update one of the existing threads, perhaps Gameplay FAQs. I've got a spread sheet that I can put on Google Drive and share a link, if people want to see what happens when they plug numbers in.
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    Options
    I can think of one more scenario as described by OP: The attacker was at the cusp of progression or whatever point mile stone in a dry slice. Since there was no more targets worth more than 38 points, attacker was forced to hit lower point targets and hopefully do it fast enough to get over the hump and put up a shield.

I know I have done it.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Options
    OneenO wrote:
    morph3us wrote:

Never!!!! Its not your fault there stupid. Like you said points are points. Attack until they give up or the points arent worth it.

I'll remember this post the next time I get into a retal war with ya. icon_twisted.gificon_mrgreen.gificon_lol.gif
  • puppychow
    Options
    consensus thinking is that its safe hitting high points targets cause you wont get any retalation.. you re too low to be worth the pain.. and thats why a lot of guys let ppl climb waiting for them to reach the 1k-1,2 k plateau to hit them for juicy points.. personnally its according to the situation.. sometimes its a random hit from someone clearing a retal after i hit him hours ago on my climb or from ppl that kept my q from a previous hop.. things happened and i dont mind.. so no retal.. other times, its from ppl that specifically target me.. then i always retal even for 1 point.. and if im not that high (under 1200-1300), i may either go on a retal war (if im hitting you thrice for 20 whereas you hit me once for 40 you' re still losing points), or dump points to climb again on the back of my offender..that way ppl think twice about hitting you even when you're worth 75.. icon_e_biggrin.gif

In an event late last season, I found a guy for 65 and he actually retaled back for 18. I was closing in on 1k, so obviously the guy was in the 1200+ range. It was the second time I hit him for the event, so he felt the need to retal even though the point value was low from my end. I could have continued the retal war with him, but since I got my 1k progression already and wasn't looking for placement I decided to end it right there.

In your situation, Francky, you could be targeted for a number of reasons. Could be someone you hit on your climb, or a grudge against your alliance, or you just happen to break shield at the wrong time.
  • puppychow
    Options
    papa07 wrote:
    X23 wrote:

Ballpark is 38 for same score, 10 points for first 100 difference, 9 points for next 100, 8 points for next 100, 6 points for next 100, and 4 points for next 100. Everything past 500 is worth 75. Its not completely accurate, but if you are judging from a leaderboard, it will get you pretty close, since your queue score will likely be way off.

It's weird though because I've hit someone 500 points above me, but still didn't get the full 75. It was 73. I don't think I've ever managed to get the full 75.
  • LordXberk
    LordXberk Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Probably a good time to ask a question that has bugged me for the last several PVPs. I wouldn't say that I'm 'brand new' (day 115), but can someone pls lay out exactly how to retaliate? Try as I might, I can't figure out where to retal. I'll get the "You were attacked" pop up and have clicked on player names there, but can only access their roster and get info on their alliance, and there is no 'retaliate' or 'attack' button for me? What am I missing?

Thanks.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    MrGaunt25 wrote:
    Probably a good time to ask a question that has bugged me for the last several PVPs. I wouldn't say that I'm 'brand new' (day 115), but can someone pls lay out exactly how to retaliate? Try as I might, I can't figure out where to retal. I'll get the "You were attacked" pop up and have clicked on player names there, but can only access their roster and get info on their alliance, and there is no 'retaliate' or 'attack' button for me? What am I missing?

Thanks.
    The red nodes are retaliation nodes.
  • LordXberk
    LordXberk Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Bowgentle wrote:
    MrGaunt25 wrote:

Thanks.
    The red nodes are retaliation nodes.

Gotcha, thanks. I was wondering what the yellow v. red nodes signified.