Ant-Man Event: Developer Advice For Victory

Options
2»

Comments

• Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    Actually, the point of the 30 day PVE is so now that the movie is out, the influx of new players have a chance at getting the character they just saw in the theaters, while giving them the time to build a roster to complete the event.

This thread is for them, the new people (welcome!) who will play and search out the forums for help. This was explained, in detail, in the threads announcing the 30 day event, the why and how of it all.

I've got a fairly new player in my alliance. I wouldn't have noticed, but he/she has been asking for team-ups daily, so I finally took a look at the roster (I was getting frustrated with the daily requests and was just going to send a carnage). A single cover 3*, a few 2*s, and a bunch of 1*s. I'm guessing that this event is really only manageable for such a player with the use of higher level team ups.

I was sending OBW, MBW (Sting covers only), and a bunch of AP generation/tile creation team ups. Now that I see the rest of what they are working with, I'm wondering whether those are the kinds of things they need or whether something like Human Torch might work better? I'm sure that the low level teammate could easily beat the survival nodes when 160 5/3/5 Torch's attack tiles or flame jets are one-shotting a bunch of level 20 enemies.

For those that don't find an alliance, I don't think that they are going to be able to beat survival nodes within the first thirty days of joining the game, even if the enemies are scaled down.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Buret0 wrote:
    I Human Torch might work better? I'm sure that the low level teammate could easily beat the survival nodes when 160 5/3/5 Torch's attack tiles or flame jets are one-shotting a bunch of level 20 enemies.

thought the same thing, come to find out, you need to send a Coercive field or some radar sense along with it.. Ninja's dying in 1 turn, turning to smoke, and a lowbie having no defense shields didn't work out too well for them. They did finally beat it, but we all learned a little on the way.

next purple Daredevil token i get, i am starting a 2nd DD.. just a 5 cover purple DD to send out team ups, so lower level peeps in my alliance have a chance on ninja/muscle ddq type nodes. Wish i had thought of it earlier, sold so many...
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Buret0 wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    Actually, the point of the 30 day PVE is so now that the movie is out, the influx of new players have a chance at getting the character they just saw in the theaters, while giving them the time to build a roster to complete the event.

This thread is for them, the new people (welcome!) who will play and search out the forums for help. This was explained, in detail, in the threads announcing the 30 day event, the why and how of it all.

I've got a fairly new player in my alliance. I wouldn't have noticed, but he/she has been asking for team-ups daily, so I finally took a look at the roster (I was getting frustrated with the daily requests and was just going to send a carnage). A single cover 3*, a few 2*s, and a bunch of 1*s. I'm guessing that this event is really only manageable for such a player with the use of higher level team ups.

I was sending OBW, MBW (Sting covers only), and a bunch of AP generation/tile creation team ups. Now that I see the rest of what they are working with, I'm wondering whether those are the kinds of things they need or whether something like Human Torch might work better? I'm sure that the low level teammate could easily beat the survival nodes when 160 5/3/5 Torch's attack tiles or flame jets are one-shotting a bunch of level 20 enemies.

For those that don't find an alliance, I don't think that they are going to be able to beat survival nodes within the first thirty days of joining the game, even if the enemies are scaled down.
    send panther/deadpool/thor/cage. that would be epic to play * level with those teamups. combine those with **marvel and you won't run out of TU tiles - talk about hitting above your weight class. just don't do that in normal pve or your scaling could get outta whack. antman event doesn't matter as much tho.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just now got around to this with so much going on (EoTS is over, yay!) and passed the 5th node first try. Challenging, and I'll admit I got lucky a few times with goons using up ap on placing cd tiles when they only had a couple hundred health left, but my 125 Lcap and 124 hood made it through.

That loaner antman really shows how much more important covers are than levels.
  • Arimis_Thorn
    Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Was trying to help out a new Alliance mate who is having trouble with this. Tried using folks from his roster. NOPE! Whales on 2nd round. All dead. Tried again with Patch, LDaken, Loki. NOPE! 3rd round all dead.

No clue how I beat this the first time through, but damn glad I got lucky enough to pull it off because this node is absurd. The advice in the OP is pretty much meaningless.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    One other suggestion for Node 5 is to focus on the one character that can actively move the tiles, use the rest of the wave as time to stockpile AP. I found that I could save my high damage nukes for the later rounds and have multiple strikes to finish off characters before they they could fire off their powers.
  • djdv81
    djdv81 Posts: 40 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Thank you for the guide David. I was getting real frustrated with the last level and I found you suggesting 2 star.pngicon_magneto.png and 2 star.pngicon_storm.png very helpful. It took 3 tries with this pair so everyone please be patient for results. The first wave was the most frustrating as Daken was picking away at my team and the caldrops did not help. Both Magneto and Storm were down 1500 health when I finally generated enough blue from Magneto's pink to launch her windstorm. After that things really snowballed in my favor as I would polarity shift the last goon so that the computer cannot make a first attack on the next wave. That was enough to generate even more blue to keep the stuns going. Excellent guide David, I am very happy to at least own one cover of Ant-Man icon_antman.png !
  • Malcrof
    Options
    Phumade wrote:
    One other suggestion for Node 5 is to focus on the one character that can actively move the tiles, use the rest of the wave as time to stockpile AP. I found that I could save my high damage nukes for the later rounds and have multiple strikes to finish off characters before they they could fire off their powers.

did it on my tablet with 1* Iron Man(5/5/3 lvl 41), 1* BW (5/5 lvl 40). Only team ups used were spidey heals. Collect as much purple and blue as you can, then yellow. Get IM35's shields out as often as possible, steal AP with BW (after you use ant-mans purple) and after the first round, stun the board shaker and nuke him with IM35 red. The shield tiles staved off the low level turn to smoke.. and Ant-Mans attack tiles took care of almost ALL of the board movers before the 5 turn stun was up, without having to use an ability.

Did take a good 15 minutes though.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    puppychow wrote:
    On the one hand, I appreciate D3 taking the initiative to offer suggestions for players to get their own Antman. On the other hand. . . the fact that D3 feels the need to step in reflects the frustration that many players are feeling regarding this event. Is it an issue of roster weakness? Lack of player experience? Plain bad luck? Who knows. Clearly, the data D3 is getting shows that a substantial player base is struggling to beat this event just once.

Will players simply give up and rage quit MPQ in frustration? I'm afraid I could see this happening. icon_redface.gif

I understood the reason behind the 30 days, and I'm sure some of the new folks will stick around. But for the older players in 3* transition? I could see an inability to get antman as the straw breaking their backs. Hopefully I'm wrong. D3 will find out soon enough.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    While I have a strong 3*/4* roster, I really enjoyed this event and thought it was hard but thoughtful. There are a couple of different ways to win and it felt challenging in a way that fighting an overscaled goon node doesnt. I would much rather fight a wave battle at high 100 to mid 200, than 3 overscaled 2*/goons at 300+. These kinds of events are lot more interesting and fun than more rehashed heroics.

Would it be that hard to have a mini event for all new char intro? Seems like you could recyle this template fairly easily and reskin it for new chars.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I think another valuable tip on survival nodes is use a power to down the last person of the wave. That will give you the first turn on the next wave.
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    next purple Daredevil token i get, i am starting a 2nd DD.. just a 5 cover purple DD to send out team ups, so lower level peeps in my alliance have a chance on ninja/muscle ddq type nodes. Wish i had thought of it earlier, sold so many...
    Wouldn't it be easier to make a 5 black Moonstone for those kinds of nodes? I'd sooner make a 2nd DD for TU with his blue (and I have icon_e_smile.gif ), it can remain on the board through multiple waves and is great against single tile-mover per wave situation, like in this case.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Kolence wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    Wouldn't it be easier to make a 5 black Moonstone for those kinds of nodes? I'd sooner make a 2nd DD for TU with his blue (and I have icon_e_smile.gif ), it can remain on the board through multiple waves and is great against single tile-mover per wave situation, like in this case.
    moonstone juggernaut, shulkie, falcon + protect, etc.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think I must have gotten terrible board randomization, because I've tried mission 5 with both (reasonably covered) Falcon/Blade and (maxed) MNMag and CStorm and gotten my **** handed to me both times -- I can barely enter wave 2 before defeat. I'm not in any rush to pick up Ant-Man since I don't have any slots open (and don't feel like dropping anyone from my roster), but I have some serious doubts about completing the event in 30 days unless I use PvP to farm some Whales.
  • Malcrof
    Options
    Too Funny, the video from a certain forumite on beating the PVE.. twice now has had FF4 trailers as the ad..

https://youtu.be/JR2xwc4Y-ao
  • Unknown
    Options
    A bit odd, I know, but I just won my (quite possibly soon-to-be-discarded due to the usual roster slot shortage and my lack of excitement about having yet another level 70 4* on my roster indefinitely) Ant-Man cover...

First run, OBW and an 9 or 10-cover SRCA (2/3/5? 2/2/5? Something like that.). Not much concern, didn't end waves with powers, wasn't really even playing seriously...

The key for me was to always have 30 blue unless using one singular special as necessary, rely heavily on AM for purple and yellow, OBW as strictly a healer, and Steve as primarily "Mr. Red," with a few important blue usages during the match.

I'm actually a bit shocked and embarrassed at how easy it ended up being, to the point that when the "victory" screen came up, I was thinking, "Huh. I did it?"

DBC
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    JackTenrec wrote:
    I think I must have gotten terrible board randomization, because I've tried mission 5 with both (reasonably covered) Falcon/Blade and (maxed) MNMag and CStorm and gotten my **** handed to me both times -- I can barely enter wave 2 before defeat. I'm not in any rush to pick up Ant-Man since I don't have any slots open (and don't feel like dropping anyone from my roster), but I have some serious doubts about completing the event in 30 days unless I use PvP to farm some Whales.

Not sure what you mean by reasonably covered, but blade and falcon are generally solid characters to bring to a survival node. But you will need a bit of board luck and cooperation from the ai to get blade started. Consider using a purple/blue +2 boost to jumpstart falcon's blue and defensive tiles. Rush to get out an ap-stealing countdown and some defensive tiles ASAP (preferrably lower corners) and then you should have some time to start building an offensive array with blade + falcon boosts.

Without knowing your roster, it's harder to suggest alternative strategies.