PVP without the featured character

Options
2»

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    I got to 1128 and came 8th on the Thing PVP with a loaner Thing. It's definitely more about the other two characters you bring to the fight, but having a usable featured is never a bad thing.
    I doubt you could do that with any other character, with the exception maybe of Hood. The Thing, even as a loaner, had a high health and a very useful passive. He is the exception to the rule.
  • san
    san Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    illiana wrote:

Are you sure about that?

I was under the impression that for retaliation nodes, your team will be the team you won that match with (so if that was with the loaner, the retaliation node is also using the loaner).

While when you appear as a node in someone's queue, the ai uses the team you last won a game with. If you used the loaner in your last won game, that is waht the ai will use for you, even if you actually have said char fully covered and/or lvled.

While I am not 100% sure, I strongly suspect it for two reasons. One, I don't really get hit any more than usual when I do that, and two, I believe the AI selects the "best version" of the character, much like it would automatically select your 166 in a new match, despite you having played with the loaner during the previous match. This is because the loaner appears to be "loaned" at the point of team selection, not prior, and does not stay as an active character in your roster. Therefore, when someone hits you back, they are playing against the team you hit them with, but on YOUR roster. In example, they will still face the daken/cyclops/cmags team you used, but they will need to battle YOUR cyclops. No matter who has hit me (and I am sure that some have done so with a loaner), I always see THEIR character when battling back for my points icon_e_smile.gif.... It's a theory, take what you will.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    San. Others are right, the AI will never field your maxed Cyclops if you never do it yourself. It will behave as if your maxed Cyclops doesn't exist. People start seeing your own featured only after you use said featured, and win.
    You were likely climbing late in a rich slice where your loaner never made you an attractive target due to 1500-1800s being available to queue. Not the case for all slices.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    Oh, and to OP. Build a varsity team of good 3*s (see rankings), max a couple or two that work well together, e.g. Thor/Hood, Thor/cMagneto, Thor/Loki, Cyclops/Doom, Patch/Loki, Patch/Doom, Fist/Cage, Daken/Thor, Cyclops/Fist, Kamala/cMagneto, etc. Then at least even if you lack any buffed characters of the week, your roster should help you get progressions to 800 and t50-100 placement. If not better!
    In the Cyclops event nonbuffed Blade and Patch simply drop like flies but not all featured characters offer that kind of damage (Loki, She-Hulk, Psylocke, IM 40, etc).
  • san
    san Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    San. Others are right, the AI will never field your maxed Cyclops if you never do it yourself. It will behave as if your maxed Cyclops doesn't exist. People start seeing your own featured only after you use said featured, and win.
    You were likely climbing late in a rich slice where your loaner never made you an attractive target due to 1500-1800s being available to queue. Not the case for all slices.

Hmm, well, I hadn't given that much thought, but perhaps you are correct. I only ever have an hour or two every few days to devote to this game, and do only enter any slice within the final 8 hours. It is not unlikely that I am a small fish at that point, until I gain a bit of traction. In any case, this isn't a strategy that is required at this point, given that most folks go into any particular pvp with 10 healthpacks, or more due to the vault.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Oh, and to OP. Build a varsity team of good 3*s (see rankings), max a couple or two that work well together, e.g. Thor/Hood, Thor/cMagneto, Thor/Loki, Cyclops/Doom, Patch/Loki, Patch/Doom, Fist/Cage, Daken/Thor, Cyclops/Fist, Kamala/cMagneto, etc. Then at least even if you lack any buffed characters of the week, your roster should help you get progressions to 800 and t50-100 placement. If not better!
    In the Cyclops event nonbuffed Blade and Patch simply drop like flies but not all featured characters offer that kind of damage (Loki, She-Hulk, Psylocke, IM 40, etc).
    I endorse this approach since I have taken the same approach icon_e_wink.gif the ones I pushed high, in this order, were thor/loki/mags/fist. I only recently finished fist and made it to 1K without using any buffed characters in the Cyclops pvp using my 140 Cyclops with maxed fist/cmags. so I was running 166/245/166 and probably got the most defensive wins I've ever gotten in a pvp event. even got def wins early when I was experimenting with fist/140grocket. fist and Cyclops just go that well together, especially when Cyclops gets the big boost.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I'm currently predominantly using GSBW because of her purple power partnered with 3* Human Torch because his green power is insane. The 2 of them work well against any opponent if I can quickly build purple/green power. Not to mention Torch's strong red power.
  • Unknown
    Options
    most players will choose a 3-colored loaner over their 1 pink covered antman.