You used to think they were garbage. Now you like them. Why?

2»

Comments

• Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Malcrof wrote:
    What may be the biggest shock to me is recently I'm finding a decent amount of use for IM40 strictly as a damage eater/ap generator for Steve. Cap/IF/IM40 has become a dependable goto team for me in pve. He still badly needs his blue and red doctored but it's nice to find some use for him.

I have to agree here, i have my IM40 at 4/5/4 and that extra cover in yellow when used with KK is huge!

Mine is at 5/5/2. It costs less and only fuels Red and Blue.

If Hulkbuster didn't cause him to become unusable, I'd love to put them together. Yellow feeds blue and red, hulkbuster blue fuels red, red fuels Hulkbuster death punch.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Buret0 wrote:
    If Hulkbuster didn't cause him to become unusable, I'd love to put them together. Yellow feeds blue and red, hulkbuster blue fuels red, red fuels Hulkbuster death punch.
    I'd also love to pair mnmags with cmags - purple feeding cmags red/blue.
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    Buret0 wrote:
    Cymmina wrote:
    ...The one thing I like about her green is that you get 4 (at 5 covers) moderate damage tiles...

And if you pair her green with strike tile generation it magnifies the strike tile power. 500 points in strike tiles leads to 2,000 more damage.

She's icon_sentry.png 2.0, but nobody knows it, so SHHHHHHH! icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Nice question, OP!

I'll list mine, concerning characters that really never radically changed for better or worse:
    GSBW - slow, fragile, useless red, hard to combo, oBW is obviously 1000 times better for both PvP and PvE and will always be better.
    Then I grew up, got a fleshed out 3* roster, then more and more good partners for GSBW arrived... She's still sweetly unique despite almost nothing changing about her (except the odd colour values being fixed), and her mix of skills is very valuable for 3* and 4* rosters. Despite the red being a practical non-entity! The health buff was very welcome for her. She, Torch, Mystique, Mohawk, cMagneto are some of the biggest beneficiaries.

Hulk - regretted leveling him early, his active skills were and still are ****, but like GSBW, he just needs good partners. When I started using GSBW and lazy Thor, I could appreciate the Hulk more. Eventually, the Hulk/Patch combo too. Nowadays, Kamala is a fave to run behind the mighty Hulk, with Ragnarok as third usually. Charging green for Storms is also a blast!

Juggernaut/Ares - self-damage? Shoo, shoo! My roster won't tolerate the likes of them! It took me the longest time to accept Juggernaut, and a similarly long time - Ares. I only had usable Juggernaut and Ares when already deep into building 3*s. I now like them for their unstoppableness and when their senior, Sentry, arrived, I was fully accepting of self-damage as a gameplay element.

Patch - speaking of which, hated for longer than was reasonable (at least a couple months since his release I think). I finally realized that strong healing was kinda neat and my classic Magneto could enjoy a powerful partner, and even then I could only tolerate the more conservative 3/5/5 build for Patch because my hate for self-damage was just that great. Thor/Daken and Sentry/Hood and some other eras came to be and passed before I got two greens close to each other and respecced to 5/3/5, and never looked back. He is still the best at what he does, and what he does, you pick with the builds.

Edit: oh and of course Mohawk - used to have her at the "more damage, better standalone" 3/5/5 build (3*s are about damage!1!!one), she was absolutely useless at that build, and X-Force as the default green/black/yellow user didn't help at the time, and Mohawk having the same health as Hood didn't help at all.
    I don't know why it took so long for me to realize that she is really simply what she is, a 3* version of modern Storm who has one of the best green skills in game. So I respecced her 5/5/3 and was much happier, especially running her with Goddess, both before and after Goddess' nerf. Now running 5/3/5 and using black to clog up the board for enemy special skills or traps (hello Caltrops).
  • Marvelfamily
    Marvelfamily Posts: 208
    Bullseye Dark Avengers.

On the Hunt event (?) I got him a few times, thought about it "hey, let's see where this is going to..." and now he is lvl 94 with 5/5/3. I love to combine with my upgrowing Falcon (3/1/2), purple from Bulls, improved over yellow by Falcon. Black skill with two multis is adorable. icon_e_biggrin.gif

Now he is a part of my never-change-ground-characters with Ares 4/4/5, Thor Marvel Now 3/5/5 and of course, Black Widow Original with 3/5/5.

yay!
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Gotta give my vote to Beast. D3 finally recognized that blue is the foundation for this character, and made it much easier to trigger by lowering ap cost down to six blue. He is surprisingly versatile for offense and defense.

I already knew IW was under appreciated, because ppl didn't understand how powerful her yellow really is for defense. But the revamp brought more usefulness in both offense and defense, especially in combo with Quick Silver to set up consistent a blue aoe combo.
  • mr_X
    mr_X Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Hands down, She-Hulk. I would not call her garbage before but before her buff she wasn't as useful. Then they buffed and promoted her at the perfect time during the last run of Enemy of the State and well, lady is a survivor node killer.
    Basically take down all the goons except an easy kill and use her green to sap all the AP they were saving up for their back-up. Especially the Don in Deadpool Daily. He never uses his black so Doctor Doom/ Elektra/ Black Panther/ Whoever can come in and destroy you with abilities.
    Her blue and red also have nice niche uses but the green is the game changer for her. Nothing is more satisfying then watching 30 enemy AP (sometimes even more since she can drain 2 pools with 5 green) disappear.

Agreed, She Hulk is a consummate goon fighter. Used to instantly bin her covers and immediately get another. Strange the way drops work. Anyway eventually kept one for Dead pool for the extra tacos and started using her also in Enemy of the State when she was essential. Now use her on goons nodes often.

Her green is her best ability and absolutely infuriating to fight against in Pvp. Her red is not bad also.

Haven't really used quicksilver much but his blue is cool when it triggers. Nearly completed so will try him again. His black does make a good critical generator. Just waiting on one more black which should be along soon.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    I really didn't like Falcon when he came out, his powerset seemed boring and his PvP was (and, granted, still is for a lot of people) slow and dull. He has since become my mainstay for PvE goon nodes, though. He's a fantastic pve character.
  • Dr Oct is one that has won me over, especially when fighting goons and/or special tile heavy characters. Storm's hailstorm or Falcon's bird strike is a death sentence, if you fire off a rank 5 Doc Oct blue. Although he is still a fairly situational character, he's very useful at what he does..I used to dread fighting 2 star bullseye without Loki, now with Dr Oct and the special tile stealers like Moonstone and She HUlk, there's more of an arsenal against heavy special tile users.
  • I never thought Luke Cage was garbage...but I just didn't realize how important his damage is at level 166. He can 1 shot patch/daken and stun....I've always believed in him but I didn't realize how good he is at krutacking people up
  • mr_X
    mr_X Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    raisinbman wrote:
    I never thought Luke Cage was garbage...but I just didn't realize how important his damage is at level 166. He can 1 shot patch/daken and stun....I've always believed in him but I didn't realize how good he is at krutacking people up

Yeah, I never got that either until Fly, Fight Win when I did! Wasn't expecting that amount of damage.