Y'know, I like the new vault mechanic.

DFiPL
DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
edited July 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
In terms of how it actually WORKS, I'm down. I like the reduction of 2* rewards and the addition of ISO-8 and 4*.

Not so keen on the animation. It is a kick in the jibblies when you click on one 3*, have it tick over to another 3*, and then stop on a 2*. Twice in the last two days, and both times on tokens I spent 50 HP on, I clicked with eyes closed, and then had the game go "ooh, too bad, you don't get THAT 3* you could use..but how about THIS one? ha ha no here have a 2* instead."

I'd really almost rather it go straight to whatever reward it's going to give you from the time you click, rather than tease you with "you want this? ha! can't have it."

Comments

• The animation is unnecessary and too many healthpacks, otherwise I love it! icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Agreed. Contest of Champions has a similar mechanic, but in addition to the roulette mechanic, there's a shortcut button that skips the animation. Would love to see something similar here.
  • DFiPL
    The animation is unnecessary and too many healthpacks, otherwise I love it! icon_e_biggrin.gif

If you make me choose between increasing 2* odds or replacing those 2* with health packs, I'm going to choose the health packs. Those I can at least use.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    <.< I got 2 covers I really needed from my Indy Vault... I can live with more vaults like this for events. Themed vaults seem like a good idea and I would like to see them again.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    <.< I got 2 covers I really needed from my Indy Vault... I can live with more vaults like this for events. Themed vaults seem like a good idea and I would like to see them again.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am not a fan of the roulette machine. It makes me feel like it is my fault I did not click at the right time and that is why I did not get the cover I wanted. I would much rather it just open the token and tell me I got a cover I will sell for ISO rather than the wheel of misfortune.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    morph3us wrote:
    Agreed. Contest of Champions has a similar mechanic, but in addition to the roulette mechanic, there's a shortcut button that skips the animation. Would love to see something similar here.

On steam you can just click through it. Havent tried on mobile, but you can usually skip animations by tapping through
  • Houtro
    Houtro Posts: 464 Mover and Shaker
    wymtime wrote:
    I am not a fan of the roulette machine. It makes me feel like it is my fault I did not click at the right time and that is why I did not get the cover I wanted.

Hey I'm in the same boat! I don't enjoy that thrill.
  • Agreed on not enjoying the slot machine mechanic. In all fairness, I'm not the world's biggest fan of encouraging gambling mechanics in properties that employ "virtual" purchases, for (what I would hope are?) obvious reasons.

The whole, "Touch it now. No now. No now. NO... NOW!" piece just exacerbates something that was already bad enough.

I get it, it's a risk. I might get rewarded. I might finally spend enough to get something of value. Just let me punch a button instead of ramping it up so much.

Thanks.

DBC
  • Whub Whubz
    Whub Whubz Posts: 62
    I honestly cover my screen and press the button, my friend life tilted me explaining there is a trick... "Yo man... you gotta click on the Moonstone icon."
    I don't think there is a trick to it and just a fun animation that adds suspense but I know nothing.
  • DFiPL
    Whub Whubz wrote:
    I honestly cover my screen and press the button, my friend life tilted me explaining there is a trick... "Yo man... you gotta click on the Moonstone icon."
    I don't think there is a trick to it and just a fun animation that adds suspense but I know nothing.

I don't think there's a trick to it either, but why's it gotta taunt me that way
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    FYI, you can, in fact, click through the vault animation. It is still slower than opening a regular token, but you don't need to go through that whole roulette wheel bit thinking you might get the icon you wanted. Also, that has been confirmed (somewhere) to just be show: You're not really influencing anything by tapping the icon you want.
  • DFiPL
    El Satanno wrote:
    FYI, you can, in fact, click through the vault animation. It is still slower than opening a regular token, but you don't need to go through that whole roulette wheel bit thinking you might get the icon you wanted. Also, that has been confirmed (somewhere) to just be show: You're not really influencing anything by tapping the icon you want.

Yeah, I know what I do doesn't influence anything. I'm just trying to extend the life of my mouse by clicking with my eyes closed instead of that reflexive OH **** GET IT reaction that I know doesn't actually CHANGE anything but I can't restrain anyway.

The issue is more that going tick-tick-boom with 3*-3*-ha ha ha no, even if I know it's not actually my "fault," is still a kick in the jibblies because it FEELS like my fault.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    DFiPL wrote:
    Yeah, I know what I do doesn't influence anything. I'm just trying to extend the life of my mouse by clicking with my eyes closed instead of that reflexive OH **** GET IT reaction that I know doesn't actually CHANGE anything but I can't restrain anyway.

The issue is more that going tick-tick-boom with 3*-3*-ha ha ha no, even if I know it's not actually my "fault," is still a kick in the jibblies because it FEELS like my fault.

Perhaps this will help:
    x22iL27.gif
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Glad to hear someone is happy with the feature and I don't want to rain on the parade too hard.

I do find it very funny though that the moderators have let about 20 topics on the vault proliferate recently. However, back when there were 2 topics about the vault (and one wasn't even solely about the vault, or started as being about the vault. It was a topic about a video where the devs discussed the vault among other things) they decided to lock the topic I made on the vault because I was "posting in the wrong thread".

So, if someone posts a positive comment, they get to make their own thread, but if someone decides to start a topic with an analogy that shines a negative light on the way it was implemented, then they get locked? Sounds fishy.

Sorry to go off-topic on this, but there are plenty of threads discussing this already.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like the concept, but I've experienced a big downside with the Independence Vault: if you get a 'bad' vault with no covers that you need, it can take a lot of excitement out of playing.

With the slot machine mechanic, there's always a chance, no matter how small, that you get something good. With the Independence Vault, I know beforehand that my tokens won't get me a 4* or 3* that I need, because there's none present in the vault. That means there's 3 PvPs in a row where gaining tokens won't really matter, other than as a source of ISO.

I'd therefore argue that the vault reset option should be a LOT cheaper. Nobody is going to pay a whopping 1000 HP for a reset, especially with roster slot prices being as high as they are.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    i like the vault, but i love slot machines as well.

The initial thrill of the spin..

the gut wrench when it is a crud 2*

the elation when it is something you desperately need!
  • rawfsu
    rawfsu Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    I purposely block the symbol with my thumb so I don't see anything until the animation lol I'm still not a fan, but it is what it is. There is still a sense of excitement as to what will pop up, just haven't gotten what I want yet. I'm sure once I do, The Vault will grow on me that much more.
  • Malcrof wrote:
    i like the vault, but i love slot machines as well.

The initial thrill of the spin..

the gut wrench when it is a crud 2*

the elation when it is something you desperately need!

+1

The vault feels similar to rolling a die, while tokens packs are like buying a magic booster
  • Esheris
    Esheris Posts: 216 Tile Toppler
    I like the new vault as well...but I close my eyes when I use it. I don't want to see what I might have gotten when I click on something good!