People with 290 Captain Americas, 200 Wolverines, etc...

20three
20three Posts: 371
edited July 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Is this game still even fun for you? Serious question, but to me, a lot of the entertainment I get from playing this game stems from collecting rare colors and there's always the possibility I can lose. But I have to wonder about these people, is it even fun anymore?

Comments

• Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have a maxed Steve Rodgers and this game is still fun for me as I play casually and for fun, and there are still lots of character covers I don't own. My idea of a fun mobile game is pick up and play when I want to and as long as i don't mind not getting all the rewards every event this game can be fun.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    This stage of the game is way more fun, for me, than the "grind every 3 hours of PvE to make my way through the 2->3 transition"

Sure, it's mostly collecting Iso and trying to build up my 4* collection, but it's a lot less stress to play an hour or two of PvP every day than the alternative.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Don't forget that even for those of us with 290 Captain Americas, that's no cape of invisibility for PvP. Cap is good, but slow, so having a maxed and properly covered Cap is likely to give most opponents only the slightest of pause (and then, likely only during a high-level shield hop.) My 166 Luke Cage / 290 Captain America / 166 Kamala team has been hammered repeatedly in the current PvP, and I'm sitting around 300 points - I imagine it will be even nastier when I try to hit 600 for that vault token.
  • Maybe when I get all 3* maxed (or missing only a couple) and the game becomes pure grind for 4* the fun could change. I have some very good 166s but I'm far from maxing everyone, both cover and (more importantly) iso wise.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's not all about one particular event, I may maxed characters for this one, but need iso for others, or 1-1.3k progressing cover, thenthere's season score as well.

Big picture
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    I've been trading hits at 400ish right now, and I'm carrying max Rogers, 200 Panther. If people feel you are worth attack for your points, they will do so regardless of your defense. Furthermore, even guys with maxed 4 star.png defense have to worry. All it takes is a lucky starting board or cascade to win the match and pull 75 off some unfortunate soul. icon_twisted.gif
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    I've been using LCap/patch/panther at 290/240/231. I "need" the black Elektra cover, so I will have fun trying to get to 1300 this time. I got to 700 or so and hits got me back down to 550. I will probably climb off those retals and try to get to 1000 or so tonight before shielding. The fun doesn't really start until that initial push to first shield and subsequent hops.
  • 20three wrote:
    Is this game still even fun for you? Serious question, but to me, a lot of the entertainment I get from playing this game stems from collecting rare colors and there's always the possibility I can lose. But I have to wonder about these people, is it even fun anymore?
    yes, its fun actually progressing in PVP and talking to my stream viewers/youtube audience
  • Heartburn
    Heartburn Posts: 527
    got both soft capped @ 120. i was gonna play for the red capt progression for a second capt i started to cover but after one match,I threw in the towel. this game has gotten slow facing maxed opponents from the start and slower with the health boosts. It just makes the grind so much more apparent. because of that i play super casually and am finding little fun in this game..
  • Square
    Square Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
    I think the game turned a corner, rather solidly, over the last six months. The 4* transition is in process. 3*s are now playable in PVP, and 4*s are achievable. At last count, about half of my 3* are at 166, half aren't, and that in itself would be six months of building. I'm switching between 4* upgrades and 3* ones (this week, CMags is a priority to get to 166).

Covers are a small issue. I sell 95% of the 3* covers I get now, and 50% of the 4* covers. It's super frustrating, and the rush I used to get from seeing a gold cover has become anticipated disappointment.

One thing that hurts saying: I like things better with a neutered X-Force. My X-Force was the reason I got so many covers in the first place, but the game was becoming "swipe the greens and blacks." Everything else was irrelevant. It's more fun now. That is in danger again, as Iron Fist/Hulkbuster is the hot knife in butter set (purple begets black begets red destruction), especially this round, with 290 Cap. I like the boosted 3*s which encourage me to make new teams.

So, yeah, I'm having fun. The devs make mistakes, but on the whole, they're making a game which sustains interest. I'm at about 14 months, and my average time with a game is about 3 months.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    I also have a maxed Captain America and, yes, I am having fun playing the game. Just now, I earned a green Invisible Woman cover that will take her to max green (although she's still useless due to having only 2 blue covers) and still trying to climb to 1300 for the black Elektra. I'm also trying to earn good points in order to help my alliance ranking so that my alliance mates who still need the alliance cover, HP and ISO rewards will benefit.

As someone already mentioned, having the maxed featured character doesn't exactly make you invincible, and apart from the featured character you still have to build a 3-character team. I'm still fighting people with much higher level teams and winning, and there are plenty of people hitting me who have lower level teams. The great thing about this game is that it is perfectly possible to compete against people at higher levels, since the enemy is always AI-controlled which can be outsmarted.
  • rawfsu
    rawfsu Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    The game has become more fun as I've built and leveled my roster. It took me awhile to get the feel for this game, but with the addition of DDQ (jury is still out on addition of the vault) and change in points in PVP (though I'm not so much enjoying finishing out of the top 100) has helped me IMMENSELY with building up my characters. I don't have maxed Cap, though I sit at 12 covers, and am not even half on my X-Force, I have a solid 3* roster that continues to grow in strength. I JUST max covered my Deadpool (had him since he premiered) with a 5/5/3 build and can't tell you how fun it is to drop a whale on a team's face for over 3k WITHOUT being at level 166 yet!
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Cap is one of the most fun to play with. I ran max Cap, max XF, and PX to 1k, so IW is now 3/5/5. Maybe someday she'll be fixed for real.

It's a strategic fight also because you don't want to clear your own shield countdowns. So yes, it's still fun.
    and scoring high is great for the alliance members.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2015
    Square wrote:
    I think the game turned a corner, rather solidly, over the last six months. The 4* transition is in process. 3*s are now playable in PVP, and 4*s are achievable. At last count, about half of my 3* are at 166, half aren't, and that in itself would be six months of building. I'm switching between 4* upgrades and 3* ones (this week, CMags is a priority to get to 166).

Covers are a small issue. I sell 95% of the 3* covers I get now, and 50% of the 4* covers. It's super frustrating, and the rush I used to get from seeing a gold cover has become anticipated disappointment.

One thing that hurts saying: I like things better with a neutered X-Force. My X-Force was the reason I got so many covers in the first place, but the game was becoming "swipe the greens and blacks." Everything else was irrelevant. It's more fun now. That is in danger again, as Iron Fist/Hulkbuster is the hot knife in butter set (purple begets black begets red destruction), especially this round, with 290 Cap. I like the boosted 3*s which encourage me to make new teams.

So, yeah, I'm having fun. The devs make mistakes, but on the whole, they're making a game which sustains interest. I'm at about 14 months, and my average time with a game is about 3 months.

I pushed hard for the X-Force nerf, and couldn't be more happy with the results. I considered quitting many times because one thing that makes grinding worse is using the same characters to do it every time.

I also agree that IF/HB is the new go to combo. I don't think it's because of HB though, obtaining 11 ap is standard for any decent power. It's that IF creates too many blacks for 5 purple.

To the OP: Once you get most of your 3*s maxed, the fun of the game is finding strong team combinations. Finding 2 buffed characters and 1 unbuffed character who synergize well with each other trumps 3 buffed characters who don't, so playing around with who to use is a nice addition. Unfortunately overpowered characters can tip the scales, so it's important D3 continues to appraise the values of the characters.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wouldn't be playing if it wasn't still fun. I'm a Marvel fanboy of 30+ years, and the biggest kick I get from the game is collecting and max covering/levelling my fave characters.

It's for this reason that I've actually been enjoying PVP for the first time in a while; the rotating buff roster means that I'm getting a lot of use from my 13 max level 3*s.

290 Cap, 240 Patch and 240 Panther is a LOT of fun icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • I would imagine the game is actually MUCH more fun when you get to the later stages, at which point you actually have enough leveled/covered characters to fully experience the game. At least I hope so. icon_e_wink.gificon_lol.gif

DBC
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Now that the 4* progression reward in PvP is reasonably accessible with a 3* roster, yes, it's absolutely still fun. I'm making real progress collecting shiny covers without having to grind PvE or hope for token luck, and having a bunch of well-covered characters means I can try out a variety of interesting teams without having my entire roster overshadowed by just a few characters I've had good pulls for.
  • It wasn't until recently that I bothered coming to the forums. It has basically showed me that my 3* progression has been slowed by not being in an Alliance. But I'm OK with that. The game is still fun to me knowing that if I have 3-4 hours one day to play, I can & if I can't play at all the next night, no harm no foul. My life has slowly become considerably busier as time has gone on & it's good to know that I don't have the stress of needing to play every night to help out an Alliance.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    It wasn't until recently that I bothered coming to the forums. It has basically showed me that my 3* progression has been slowed by not being in an Alliance. But I'm OK with that. The game is still fun to me knowing that if I have 3-4 hours one day to play, I can & if I can't play at all the next night, no harm no foul. My life has slowly become considerably busier as time has gone on & it's good to know that I don't have the stress of needing to play every night to help out an Alliance.
    just an FYI - there are plenty of no-pressure alliances of casual players. don't discount alliances altogether just because you've heard some stories about an alliance trying to hit above their weight and adding pressure to everyone. I'd try it just for a little extra iso each day and a few extra tokens here or there. it all adds up over time.
  • I have multiple maxed duplicates, but the enjoyment did not fade because of my roster, but by continuous changes I disliked and the boredom of PvEs and scaling.

VS events are much better lately though, I have to admit. They are much more fun to play.

But PvEs...

Let's hope the new 30 days for Ant-Man is cool.