Why Knock Me Out

Why would a player, whisperss , who already has the maxed 4* cover, xforce , try so hard to knock me out of 2nd?

Thank you for the responses. icon_e_smile.gif

Comments

• mr_X
    mr_X Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Either because they can and it is easy to get caught up in the competive aspect of the game being a tournament and all or maybe for their alliance score/season score depending on if it is Pve or PvP. Also they may not of checked your roster to see if you need it.

It has happened to me before also but if I run out of health packs that's it. But some people will if they notice let you keep your placement.

Also probably better not to name them on the forum.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Because, in this day and age, people on a computer are not "real people" with feelings, etc.

Also, anonymity.

Also, bad parenting.

Also, selfishness.

Also, "doing this will make me feel better about myself and my life" validation.

Also, "lulz, is juss a game, bro cry moar" and other immature sayings of that nature.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Or maybe he's just having fun playing video game. Maybe he's not in a huge alliance, not reading every opponent's roster, just tryin to compete and finish high because you know? That's what we do in a game. Maybe it has nothing to do with you.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Because America!
  • Look inward for answers.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Top 2 get the same rewards. He could be playing for alliance points. Luckily, in my bracket, the guy with a maxed X-Force is letting me and the other guy have it, by not grinding as much as he probably could. Thanks Stanley71 of WE ARE GR00T.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Mama said.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wouldn't read into it too much, man. It's a competitive game. There are going to be people who just want to get first, and that's it. I mean, what for do all 900 chapters of the X-Men exist? Have you looked at their collective rosters? As a whole, they probably only need about 1 out of every 200 covers they get from placement, yet they continue to top the leaderboards all over the place. Not only that, but unless you've done something to really piss someone off, they're probably not even paying attention to who they are matching up with during their climb or hops. Hell, when I'm shield hopping, the only thing I'm looking at is points and level. No time to think about much else if you don't want to lose 500 points in 3 minutes.
  • El Satanno wrote:
    I wouldn't read into it too much, man. It's a competitive game. There are going to be people who just want to get first, and that's it. I mean, what for do all 900 chapters of the X-Men exist? Have you looked at their collective rosters? As a whole, they probably only need about 1 out of every 200 covers they get from placement, yet they continue to top the leaderboards all over the place. Not only that, but unless you've done something to really piss someone off, they're probably not even paying attention to who they are matching up with during their climb or hops. Hell, when I'm shield hopping, the only thing I'm looking at is points and level. No time to think about much else if you don't want to lose 500 points in 3 minutes.
    the only thing I don't get is we see this post every week. Maybe someone should just start a "Don't attack me in PVP plz" thread
  • TLCstormz wrote:
    Because, in this day and age, people on a computer are not "real people" with feelings, etc.

Also, anonymity.

Also, bad parenting.

Also, selfishness.

Also, "doing this will make me feel better about myself and my life" validation.

Also, "lulz, is juss a game, bro cry moar" and other immature sayings of that nature.

None of these things are true.

It is a competitive game with competitive rewards. No one is obligated to hand you anything. You want it, you have to be harder, better, faster, stronger than your opponents. And they are your opponents, not your friends, not your buddies, not your bros who are going to do you a solid and let you win.

Bottom line, he knocked you out of second because he could (and should) win.
  • donietsche
    donietsche Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Lerysh wrote:
    TLCstormz wrote:

Also, anonymity.

Also, bad parenting.

Also, selfishness.

None of these things are true.

It is a competitive game with competitive rewards. No one is obligated to hand you anything. You want it, you have to be harder, better, faster, stronger than your opponents. And they are your opponents, not your friends, not your buddies, not your bros who are going to do you a solid and let you win.

Bottom line, he knocked you out of second because he could (and should) win.

I completely agree. There is no moral obligation to make life easier for competitors in a given event. It can be a nice gesture, but no one is forced to play cooperatively with "strangers" in a competitive environment. Besides, one should bear in mind that competitive players need all the resources - and the points - they can take: a 4* cover is still worth 1k of ISO. An additional climb can be required to support the alliance, and secure a good placement (maybe, in that specific situation, the player was worried about other competitors as well, and didn't want to end up being kicked out of t5).

If you really wanted that x-force cover, you should have built a significant lead on that player, by doing an additional jump and/or gambling at the end of the event (one final match, risking a snipe). If you did so, and didn't work, better luck next time.

Bottom line (for me): don't expect that other players will make life easier for you: not because they are a-holes (some of them can be, but that's just life), but because pvp is supposed to be a competitive thing (nomen omen). If they do, and give you a free pass, simply appreciate what they did.
  • Different but related comment...

Playing the PvE last night at the end, trading blows with a player for the T10 (6-7, 89, 9-10, 78, etc.).

While I was punching out my essentials to gain some ground in the final couple hours, I noticed she (based on player name?) was posting points in small enough increments that she was likely panicking and grinding her lower nodes far too early to hold her position.

If I could have contacted her somehow, I would have told her to STOP. I get how the anxiety starts mounting as you begin to stare at your device in the final couple hours, but I also know full well what happens when you panic.

Flash forward to the final dizzying 15 minutes. I look at the board and I'm 10, she's 7.

When the dust settled, I was 6, and when I excitedly looked to see where she ended up, she wasn't in the T10.

Perhaps it makes me less of a competitor, but I was as bummed for her as I was excited for myself. I had looked at her (and other players') roster earlier, and she could have used that extra card as much as me...

DBC
  • IlDuderino
    IlDuderino Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    There are some pretty hard nosed responses in this thread. Where's the harm in helping someone else get ahead when the reward is peanuts to you?

For those only motivated by self interest, I have seen one good turn lead to another in this game. A few seasons ago I dropped back to let someone take first place in PvP after forum messaging. Next PvP I get a forum message from said person's commander saying he had seen me in his bracket and did I want a bump to get me to 1,000 points? Yes please icon_e_smile.gif Short story is that being nice got me a 4* cover I wanted rather than 1,000 iso and in the same PvP the person I had let into first place bumped an alliance mate too so everyone was ahead
  • donietsche
    donietsche Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2015
    IlDuderino wrote:
    There are some pretty hard nosed responses in this thread. Where's the harm in helping someone else get ahead when the reward is peanuts to you?

For those only motivated by self interest, I have seen one good turn lead to another in this game. A few seasons ago I dropped back to let someone take first place in PvP after forum messaging. Next PvP I get a forum message from said person's commander saying he had seen me in his bracket and did I want a bump to get me to 1,000 points? Yes please icon_e_smile.gif Short story is that being nice got me a 4* cover I wanted rather than 1,000 iso and in the same PvP the person I had let into first place bumped an alliance mate too so everyone was ahead

There's nothing wrong, and actually it's a nice gesture, and sometimes (see your success story) what goes around, comes around.

What I was trying to say, is that (on the other hand) you can't blame a player for being competitive.

The game doesn't promote cooperation, and the lack of means of communication - for starters, you can't even send a message to another player - means that there is an ongoing process of dehumanization of the competitors.

Things change drastically, when you know (or you can know) the person behind the ign.
  • IlDuderino
    IlDuderino Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    IlDuderino wrote:

My emphasis added.

There are very few actual jerks in this game. We're all in the same boat.In the same trap using the same tools against the same challenges. And given no tools by the devs with which to puncture the bubble of impersonality ... and practically accused of conspiracy for making use of "out-of-game" communication.

Where there is no communication, don't make the mistake of taking impersonal interactions personally.

Everyone has their reasons based on their perceptions. Until you can ask them about them, you'll never know.

I initiated the messaging when I saw they didn't have 4hor and I did

I agree it is easy to be impersonal and this is a competitive game. In PvP you have to hit people to get ahead but the OP is about PvE and the guy was passed by someone who didn't need the reward and he did so I get his annoyance
  • Worse that the leader in my last PvE bracket didn't have any 4* characters
    So that means they are using low strategy to win 4*s and then deleting them to avoid the scaling that a level 70 would bring.

Shocking waste.
  • Twombley wrote:
    Worse that the leader in my last PvE bracket didn't have any 4* characters
    So that means they are using low strategy to win 4*s and then deleting them to avoid the scaling that a level 70 would bring.

Shocking waste.
    That's pretty dirty.
  • IlDuderino wrote:

There is no harm, but there should also be no expectation. That's the point. You want to do someone a solid that's cool, but don't expect any favors.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Twombley wrote:
    Worse that the leader in my last PvE bracket didn't have any 4* characters

Shocking waste.
    How is he winning a bracket without the 4* essential? Sounds more likely that you're in a new player bracket
  • Maestro145
    Maestro145 Posts: 58
    From my experience:

1. Fun, because we (they) can.
    2. Season score.
    3. Alliance score.