Storm (Modern) - 1*

Options

Comments

• Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Disregarding the color swap, which does add some variety to the game. The change to mistress was necessary. If it still destroyed all the TUAP tiles at 5 AP she would be more broken than CMags. Even at 9AP and destroying all TUAP tiles she would still be broken. It would turn every board into mini forests. Equipped with the right Team Ups she would turn that 9 yellow/red ap into colorless AP that could power any power in the game...quite game breaking. It's not a nerf, it was a change. While her "power level" / usage may have gone done. Without the change her power would have done nothing...no more environment tiles in the game.
    They could have just put a cap on the gain while still destroying them all
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I swapped to 5/4/4 and had a few games, not much difference.

I just put 5 black on to make 5/3/5 and for note, the level 3 yellow note to get to level 4 says "Deals 30% more damage for each tile shattered".

Which kind sounds impressive but then I remember level 4 damage at 61.

But the more interesting point here is that I thought they were trying to remove % values from the character abilities (OBW, Thor, almost Daken). This is adding it back in. Strange.
  • yogi_
    Options
    Tried 5/3/5 in a few games now.

Really missing red tile cascade. Damage from the extra attack tiles is nice but doesn't really replace it. The trick now is you really need to get the black ability out as much as you can now to make it worthwhile. This will be good when she gets boosted.

Used yellow a little. Easy to pick up a couple of hits of it with no one else using yellow, but meh - bit of damage and some TU (which in my general gameplay I am not picking up enough of to use usually).

Probably will stay with 5/3/5, I guess but she definitely looses some of her appeal for use in broader rosters as she used to have.
  • Spoit
    Options
    For 1*, I'm staying 5/5/3, since her main use would be to trigger TUs. the 3* one is more of a dilema, since her black is actually useful
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    For 1*, I'm staying 5/5/3, since her main use would be to trigger TUs. the 3* one is more of a dilema, since her black is actually useful
    I was thinking of doing the same. That might change when we get a delete button for TUs though - no need to prologue dump means no need to really use Mistress any more.
  • Spoit
    Options
    HairyDave wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    I was thinking of doing the same. That might change when we get a delete button for TUs though - no need to prologue dump means no need to really use Mistress any more.
    Eh, in that case, the TUs would probably still be more useful than her black
  • I I have to agree with you all. The yellow is not a great change. But why change her. She was and is my favourite.
  • falsep77
    falsep77 Posts: 35
    Options
    yeah she seems FAR weaker. Yes, it's true having storm in the desert or the jungle was deadly. I would have sworn that her low HP balanced that out.

But I guess I get the thought of making it less easy to collect team out tokens.

still though.

First time since I've been playing this game that I actually feel the power of a nerf.
  • IReallyHatePVP
    Options
    Alas, poor Oro.

The last, great 1* character in the MPQ sky has winked out. The only reason to keep(EDIT: good TU dump idea Spoit/HairyDave) her around now is for an occasional PvE buff.

A quick moment of silence for the Woman, who, like oBW, consistently punched above her weight class.

Thank you all.
  • y2fitzy
    y2fitzy Posts: 255 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    As someone who has only been playing a couple of days I can't imagine ever being without her. Seems a scary place...
  • famousfoxking
    famousfoxking Posts: 245 Tile Toppler
    Options
    My problem, and yes, I understand it makes me *that guy* is Why on earth is Storm the person who's better at team-ups than anyone else? I get that's it's a straight power-swap, replacing Env shattering with TU shattering, but now it no longer makes sense for the character. I don't have a problem with how the power works, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me for that power to be on that character.

As a quick thought experiment: if we wanted to introduce a power into the game that made a character better at teaming-up, we could go to the source material and see what characters that power would be appropriate for. So, if you do a quick Google Image Search for "Marvel Team-up". Tell me what character you see the most often on covers for that book. You won't have to do any in-depth statistical analysis, or even any counting. (Spoiler: Spider-Man is the character common to 90% of those covers.)

My druthers, and no one asked me, would be for Web-Bandages to be replaced with "Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man" that collected TU tiles, and for Storm's power to be tile shattering/cascade generating, but not focused on TU tiles.
  • Storm (Modern) - Mistress of the Elements
    - Altered to use the new Team-Up Feature instead of Environment tiles
    Old
    Mistress of the Elements - Red 9 AP
    Fierce winds swirl, sending heavy weights aloft and turning them against the enemy. Deals 3 damage for each Environment tile, then shatters them.
    Level Upgrades
    Level 2: Costs 1 AP less.
    Level 3: Costs 1 AP less.
    Level 4: Costs 1 AP less.
    Level 5: Costs 1 AP less.
    Max Level: 34 damage for each Environmental tile

New
    Mistress of the Elements - Yellow 9 AP
    Clouds darken the battlefield and lightning streaks across the sky as Storm's awesome power inspires her teammates and assaults her foes. Destroys up to 5 Team-Up tiles, generating Team-Up AP and dealing 4 damage per tile.
    Level Upgrades
    Level 2: Deals 4 damage for each tile shattered
    Level 3: Deals 5 damage for each tile shattered
    Level 4: Deals 5 damage for each tile shattered
    Level 5: Destroys 6 Team-Up tiles
    Max Level: 61 damage for each Team-Up tile

This nerf to 1* Storm is really uncalled for. My take of the change would be like this.

Mistress of the Elements - Yellow 9 AP
    Fierce winds swirl, sending heavy weights aloft and turning them against the enemy. Shatters all Team-Up tiles and deals 3 damage for each Team-Up tile, then generate 4 Team-Up AP.
    Level Upgrades
    Level 2: Costs 1 AP less.
    Level 3: Costs 1 AP less, and generate 5 Team-Up AP instead.
    Level 4: Costs 1 AP less.
    Level 5: Costs 1 AP less, and generate 6 Team-Up AP instead.
    Max Level: 34 damage for each Team-Up tile

In this way I think it's balanced in terms of keeping the original functionality of MotE, while not making it OP to generate insane amount of Team-UP AP by giving a flat Team-Up AP each use.
  • Storm does become a leader of multiple incarnations of the X-men, as well as the Morlocks.
    I never thought of Spider-man as much of a leader, even though he can work with others.

She's still on my PVE goon team with Hawkeye and Cap.
    Am keeping her 5/5/3, as she's constantly needed for prologue Team-Up disposal.
  • famousfoxking
    famousfoxking Posts: 245 Tile Toppler
    Options
    daibar wrote:
    Storm does become a leader of multiple incarnations of the X-men, as well as the Morlocks.
    I never thought of Spider-man as much of a leader, even though he can work with others.

And if the feature were called "Leadership" I'd be right there with you, but since it's called "Team Up" I leave you with this: https://www.google.com/search?q=marvel+team+up&tbm=isch. How many Storms do you count in the first hundred covers? (Hint: she's not even on the covers of the first two of the three "Spiderman & the X-Men" teamups that appear in the first few hundred results.)

It's not a bad power, it just makes no sense for the character.
  • yogi_
    Options

There was no logic behind it. Just had to be done because they got rid of environmental tiles, so she had to lose that ability.

Easy way out and I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing other characters who utlised environmental tiles to turn into Team-Up AP. It won't make any sense either - it's a simplistic design decision.
  • IReallyHatePVP
    Options

And if the feature were called "Leadership" I'd be right there with you, but since it's called "Team Up" I leave you with this: https://www.google.com/search?q=marvel+team+up&tbm=isch. How many Storms do you count in the first hundred covers? (Hint: she's not even on the covers of the first two of the three "Spiderman & the X-Men" teamups that appear in the first few hundred results.)

Holy tinykitty that's alot of spidey Team-ups! Hey Devs! Web Bandage is flipping useless now; I know what I want Parker's yellow to be now...

Tag-In
    Active Yellow - 10 AP

Using his pro-wrestling experience, Spidey calls for an assist from outside the fight. Generates 1 Team-Up AP for each web tile on the board, plus and additional 1 AP for each Team-Up tile adjacent to those web tiles.

Level 2 - Costs 1 less AP
    Level 3 - Generates 2 Team-Up AP per Web tile
    Level 4 - Generates 3 Team-Up AP per Web tile. If there are no Web tiles on the board, 2 AP is generated.
    Level 5 - Team-Up tiles adjacent to Web Tiles are destroyed, generating additional AP but dealing no damage. +2 AP cost

Consider it an early Holiday gift to us. icon_mrgreen.gificon_e_wink.gificon_mrgreen.gif
  • And if the feature were called "Leadership" I'd be right there with you, but since it's called "Team Up" I leave you with this: https://www.google.com/search?q=marvel+team+up&tbm=isch. How many Storms do you count in the first hundred covers? (Hint: she's not even on the covers of the first two of the three "Spiderman & the X-Men" teamups that appear in the first few hundred results.)

Leaders typically call in team-members to do combos.

In terms of compatibility with other 1*, 2** characters due to moving the power from Red to Yellow:
    Better:
    Hawkeye, Juggernaut, Wolverine, Magneto, Cap,
    Worse:
    Torch, Bagman (PVE), Ares, Thor
    Neutral:
    Iron man 35, depends on which power you like more.
  • I leveled her during balance of power pvp... use & skip (opponent) her NO MATTER WHAT

after the changes...

in combined arms pvp: I'll select & down her without sweat NO MATTER WHAT

IMHO the conclusion: "offensive" & "defensive" no longer in her dictionary 'nuff said

p.s. 2 cents: TU should be based on particular ability's original colour (simple & straight forward yet fun & balance). Now replace back the 0 damage environmental tiles & give me back my ori. Modern Storm already you bucker la bogs... I mean devs icon_twisted.gif
  • My druthers, and no one asked me, would be for Web-Bandages to be replaced with "Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man" that collected TU tiles, and for Storm's power to be tile shattering/cascade generating, but not focused on TU tiles.

This! So much this!!!!

The ability to equip Spiderman with attack powers he fuels with yellow matches as a team friendly guy would be awesome. Hell, just rename Storm's power, give it to Spiderman, and give storm something else on yellow that's element related. Lightning strike for single target damage or something.
  • yogi_
    Options
    According to http://marvel.wikia.com/Uncanny_X-Men_Vol_1_449 the cover description for M.Storm should be for the year 2004 and not the 1963 it now is.